• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
New gamemode for KI being announced today? That would be cool.

Edit:

Combo breaker training
it's on ultra combo text stream

Earning XP offline in Shadows is cool. I really like that idea. Hopefully that applies to character XP and not just general XP.

Combo breaker training is nice I suppose. Not a huge deal but more ways to practice and learn the game is always appreciated.

Combo Breaker Training? Nice! That'll help me out most definitely whenever I can finally get my hands on this game.

I still have yet to try Aganos and everyone above that. And I haven't played enough characters to know they're stuff besides Jago/Sabrewulf/Riptor, they're easy to break.

.la1n

I really like the sound of how Shadow mode is coming along. Combo breaker training is a great idea. I still have a very hard time breaking light and medium attacks on reaction with a lot of the cast.

Wow, they messed up TJ real bad.

His timing is completely different now. It's like completely relearning the character at this point.

I was fine with the nerfs but changing his timing to the point that I'm dropping combos left and right seems really dumb.

Doukou

Shadow mode sounds interesting hope Rewards are more yet XP.
Combo breaking training is great. Glad to have it.
Finally started to get into Cinder his moves have weird properties like how Infero can't combo start unless shadow and very close but I'm starting to understand it.
Not a big fan of burning, whenever I use its against someone who understands it and hides or against someone who doesn't and gets destroyed.
Got to say I'm a big fan of Cinder's Combos, they feel so flashy hitting someone with trailblazer then bringing them upward to a recapture.
I also like the metal volcano look for his premium costume.
Haven't really checked out T.J. But I like how his intro now has a crowd, makes the intro less boring.

.la1n

Wow, they messed up TJ real bad.

His timing is completely different now. It's like completely relearning the character at this point.

I was fine with the nerfs but changing his timing to the point that I'm dropping combos left and right seems really dumb.

I spent some time in practice mode with him. It does require relearning but you can get the hang of it pretty quick with some work. I have found ways to get most of my old setups. I wasn't a huge fan of having to go through that but if you like the character stick with it and I am sure you'll get the hang of it as well. I haven't really messed with the new combo ender enough to find any good setups but supposedly it's quite useful for resets.

http://xboxclips.com/BananasWithGuns/a8f6c2b5-5291-4fb3-a482-fe978a3c9390

Now tell me the fan the flames mechanic isn't broken lol. Also I have no clue why there's no music for the first minute.

I spent some time in practice mode with him. It does require relearning but you can get the hang of it pretty quick with some work. I have found ways to get most of my old setups. I wasn't a huge fan of having to go through that but if you like the character stick with it and I am sure you'll get the hang of it as well. I haven't really messed with the new combo ender enough to find any good setups but supposedly it's quite useful for resets.

Yeah I'll have to just spend time with him to get a feel for him again. I was fine with a lot of the nerfs although having 3 sets of doubles compared to 6 for everyone else is kind of lame but auto barrage is still good so I get it. I just hate that his timing feels different because you spend so much time with a character and now they feel alien. I still really like TJ so it's just a matter of learning him again.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I actually think TJ feels better to use now, autos/linkers flow better and speed feels more natural. Ending combos with auto barrage does insane damage now too.

I'm not nearly as bummed about his nerfs as I thought I'd be.

Interesting picture for the win 20 ranked games with Cinder achievement.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So what is it about burnout that urks yo guys so much?
-the ender to land it barely cashes out damage.
-instead, this damage is built up from the burn.
-combo breaking removes all potential damage.

The burns go away as long as you don't use moves with the buttons attached to them. So how does it flat-out stop aggression, going against KI? It just forces you to use a different set. It's like an injury mechanic.

It feels broke and dumb at first, but it just feels like a new consideration once you learn.

I'va always thought there should be more injury / targeted limb disabling in fighters, so I lovevthe experiment. The only gripes I really have are that maybe burn out should have a max damage number.

Also, maybe the opponent should be able to put it out by stopping and droppin' a few times in place repeatedly ... ;)

Why does it feel like Cinder's attacks always have priority over mine?

Which? You can punch him out of flame dash, tossed bombs do not hit stun and leave him open to a hit, and many of his footsy normals are deceptively short. His clash bomb gives him good advantage, but that and his unique punch combos are his only really safe pelting tools.

The burns go away as long as you don't use moves with the buttons attached to them. So how does it flat-out stop aggression, going against KI? It just forces you to use a different set. It's like an injury mechanic.

It feels broke and dumb at first, but it just feels like a new consideration once you learn.

I'va always thought there should be more injury / targeted limb disabling in fighters, so I lovevthe experiment. The only gripes I really have are that maybe burn out should have a max damage number.

Also, maybe the opponent should be able to put it out by stopping and droppin' a few times in place repeatedly ... ;)

The idea itself isn't terrible but the effect lasts way too long and there are a lot of times where it looks like the effect has worn off and then you press a button and it flares up to max again. As the flames die down you can almost barely see them which is a really big design flaw in my opinion. It needs to be very apparent when it's on and when it isn't.

Also it might be better if fanning the flames only increases the duration by 10% or something instead of instantly refreshing the entire duration. Your idea of a cap on the potential damage doesn't sound bad either.

Either way, at the very least they need to change the visuals for it to make it absolutely apparent when the debuff is on. The punishment for pressing a button is just too great for someone to not know if they're going to reset the duration or not.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Man Cinder is just so fun to use, I think IG did a pretty good job with him. I'm not having any of the control issues many seem to have. I'm on stick though.

Which? You can punch him out of flame dash, tossed bombs do not hit stun and leave him open to a hit, and many of his footsy normals are deceptively short. His clash bomb gives him good advantage, but that and his unique punch combos are his only really safe pelting tools.

This is actually very helpful, off to the lab I go.

So can anyone find the Shago pack on the popular add-ons section of the marketplace? I'm pretty deep in and I don't think I've seen it... :/ Seems like not many people have purchased it (or I just missed it.)

Man Cinder is just so fun to use, I think IG did a pretty good job with him. I'm not having any of the control issues many seem to have. I'm on stick though.

In hindsight I was definitely way too harsh on Cinder. There are still some things that are a bit awkward about him both playing as or against him but nothing that can't be learned I suppose.

I still think his openers feel somewhat awkward, mostly Fission. Also trying to open a combo after hitting low rarely seems to work as I just get Inferno coming out 90% of the time.

Enjoying playing as him for the most part. Still think a few changes are going to be in order next month but overall I think IG did a good job with him. Hopefully he'll be even better after the next patch.

Doukou

So can anyone find the Shago pack on the popular add-ons section of the marketplace? I'm pretty deep in and I don't think I've seen it... :/ Seems like not many people have purchased it (or I just missed it.)

Pretty sure that it wouldn't appear on that yet since the marketplace updates on Tuesdays, I also reached the end and it didn't appear at the end over DLC that had 0 ratings. So its not on the list at all.

LowParry

I actually just picked up this game so I'm pretty fairly new all around with the characters. Cinder I really do like however I think his projectiles I could do without. For now at least until I can figure out some clever ways of placing them.

stn

Just to be clear: the Shadow Jago bundle can't be bought through the console, right? So I have to do it through my internet browser? Thanks.

Just to be clear: the Shadow Jago bundle can't be bought through the console, right? So I have to do it through my internet browser? Thanks.

Showed up on the console for me when I looked through add-ons on the store earlier. I don't think you can buy it through the game itself though.

El Sabroso

was about to post about it, let's see her in action in this top 32 :)

edit: pretty much hisako, kan-ra and 1 tj combo are the S2 characters in the whole braket

Doukou

was about to post about it, let's see her in action in this top 32 :)

edit: pretty much hisako, kan-ra and 1 tj combo are the S2 characters in the whole braket

Seems to be reflective of the online community, S1 is still very popular online.
Just tuned in.

Edit: Loving this Hisako.

I can't wait for KI at Evo2k15 in July! Last year was pretty cool but Season 1's small roster didn't help much in it's popularity back then since it was mostly just Jago, Sabrewulf or Sadira. Since there's more characters now, I hope the entrants will make their characters shine so KI can get more popular. Also with ARIA later this month, I hope IG stop with the frequent updates so people can get used to the game just in time for Evo.

It would also be nice to have Microsoft announce Season 3 at their E3 press conference next month.....I mean they need to since there's not much XB1 fighters out besides this, MKX, DoA5 and in the future, Tekken 7 and Rivals of Aether. I really want them to push this IP more since I wouldn't mind having more KI related merchandise. I mean it wouldn't hurt to get a physical release of the KI Season 1 & 2's soundtrack.....or some figurines.....anything please. :(

stn

I'm trying to understand this game from a frame data perspective, have a question. Let's say I'm using Sabrewulf. His BF+P claw attack is -1 on block, so its safe. Let's say I do the following:

Claw attack (opener) - LP MP - claw attack (ender).

Now, let's say that whole string is blocked. If I end with the claw attack at -1, does that mean that whole string is safe as long as my opponent doesn't combo breaker the string? Thanks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm trying to understand this game from a frame data perspective, have a question. Let's say I'm using Sabrewulf. His BF+P claw attack is -1 on block, so its safe. Let's say I do the following:

Claw attack (opener) - LP MP - claw attack (ender).

Now, let's say that whole string is blocked. If I end with the claw attack at -1, does that mean that whole string is safe as long as my opponent doesn't combo breaker the string? Thanks.

You can't combo break until the attack lands hits. Yes, they could shadow counter, though.

Everything is an "OPENER" until hits land. Frame properties change when moves become linkers and doubles. Generally, hitstun grows, allowing for manuals and frame traps. Unless they're juggle, blowback, or hard knockdown enders, using an ender normally leads to a techable knockdown. Using a juggle ender and hitting a sweep is a useful strat.

Back to the question: Is your string safe? The startup for the LP after the attempted opener might be unsafe, and you could be shadow countered, but otherwise, solid block string, with perfect pushback for shenanigans. A safer string would start with his Overpower command normal, which has stronger blockstun.

I finally broke down and bought Shadow Jago. It feels dirty but I was even considering it when it would have cost me an entire year of full price gold, so in comparison this is a slightly better deal. And I really enjoyed watching the top 32 tournament on twitch... so, shago time!

stn

You can't combo break until the attack lands hits. Yes, they could shadow counter, though.

Everything is an "OPENER" until hits land. Frame properties change when moves become linkers and doubles. Generally, hitstun grows, allowing for manuals and frame traps. Unless they're juggle, blowback, or hard knockdown enders, using an ender normally leads to a techable knockdown. Using a juggle ender and hitting a sweep is a useful strat.

Back to the question: Is your string safe? The startup for the LP after the attempted opener might be unsafe, and you could be shadow countered, but otherwise, solid block string, with perfect pushback for shenanigans. A safer string would start with his Overpower command normal, which has stronger blockstun.
Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Also, bought S. Jago last night. Slowly getting into this game, just not as seriously due to MKX. I'm planning to wait on a deal for S2 Ultra Edition, I want the KI2 remake.

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Also, bought S. Jago last night. Slowly getting into this game, just not as seriously due to MKX. I'm planning to wait on a deal for S2 Ultra Edition, I want the KI2 remake.

Do you not get that with the combo breaker edition? I believe I only have the combo breaker edition for s1 and s2 and I have both classic games.

W.S.

http://xboxclips.com/BananasWithGuns/a8f6c2b5-5291-4fb3-a482-fe978a3c9390

Now tell me the fan the flames mechanic isn't broken lol. Also I have no clue why there's no music for the first minute.
That was an impressive comeback.

I finally broke down and bought Shadow Jago. It feels dirty but I was even considering it when it would have cost me an entire year of full price gold, so in comparison this is a slightly better deal. And I really enjoyed watching the top 32 tournament on twitch... so, shago time!
Yeah I did the same thing too, I just hope they get enough to make Shadow Jago a full blown character.

.la1n

I want Shadow Jago to get a complete move set but I am not sure we have the community to get to 100,000 especially when a lot of people don't have much they'd buy from the store.

Personally I didn't really have anything to buy outside of the Shadow Jago community pack. I did pick up a Season 1 Ultra edition for a friend to try and put a little extra cash into the pot.

Either way any money raised is a great thing because it helps to give players more incentive to travel to offline tournaments. Right now unless it's a local I can't justify going out anywhere because the cost of getting there would never even out even if I finished first. I think a lot of other players feel the same.

W.S.

I want Shadow Jago to get a complete move set but I am not sure we have the community to get to 100,000 especially when a lot of people don't have much they'd buy from the store.

Personally I didn't really have anything to buy outside of the Shadow Jago community pack. I did pick up a Season 1 Ultra edition for a friend to try and put a little extra cash into the pot.

Either way any money raised is a great thing because it helps to give players more incentive to travel to offline tournaments. Right now unless it's a local I can't justify going out anywhere because the cost of getting there would never even out even if I finished first. I think a lot of other players feel the same.
I don't think it'll get to $100,000 either unfortunately for the same reasons.

I wasn't going to do it but I figured if I throw in support now that it would show interest in Shadow Jago on top of the whole tournament support. On the plus side the Shadow Jago pack is still cheaper/easier than buying a XBL Shadow Jago code so there's that. Plus I'm sure there are other ways they can make full Shadow Jago happen.

Today I played a set against Rocco Ravish87. He is a much better player than I am and has a level 40+ with all 4 characters he uses (I am a level Jago 39, only player I know). I lost the first two matches and then he began to tbag. I beat him the next and returned the favor. He then unleashed a hilarious rant about how the game is broken because of tbagging and let me know that I was every racist word he could think of for about 30 min. Here is our last match, it felt great to beat such a hateful scumbag. He was so pissed he actually stopped talking :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbUqrSQkDI

Today I played a set against Rocco Ravish87. He is a much better player than I am and has a level 40+ with all 4 characters he uses (I am a level Jago 39, only player I know). I lost the first two matches and then he began to tbag. I beat him the next and returned the favor. He then unleashed a hilarious rant about how the game is broken because of tbagging and let me know that I was every racist word he could think of for about 30 min. Here is our last match, it felt great to beat such a hateful scumbag. He was so pissed he actually stopped talking :D

Haha, look at this button presses. He's going crazy.

Seems like a typical Jago to me though honestly. They're the worst.

Edit: Oh nevermind you're the Jago lol. Man you are mashing.

Doukou

Ah I was hoping to see the rant. Nice game though.

Honestly your play seems fine. I was just blown away but how fast those button prompts were going lol. Also I just despise Jago so don't look into my comments too much lol.

Thank you and no worries, I would think Jago is the most noob/masher friendly. Only reason I ever win is because I know his move set from Street Fighter. Anyhow, I need to pick a second character and learn.

Thank you and no worries, I would think Jago is the most noob/masher friendly. Only reason I ever win is because I know his move set from Street Fighter. Anyhow, I need to pick a second character and learn.

Cinder might be up your alley, assuming you own season 2. He's fairly good all around like Jago is although his damage is a bit lower and his footsies aren't as good. Burnout enders are ridiculous though.

Top Bottom