• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

sangreal

How are patches applied? Maybe a silly question, but is there any benefit performance-wise in game with tons of patches applied over time versus just redownloading it all. Just thinking in terms of disk fragmentation/access time

the game is stored in large blocks and if any file within the block is changed, the entire block is replaced

or something like that; the details are in the leaked xdk if you're really interested

vg260

the game is stored in large blocks and if any file within the block is changed, the entire block is replaced

or something like that; the details are in the leaked xdk if you're really interested

Interesting, thanks. That's all I wanted to know. I'll just wait til the forced update.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I just turned it on without doing anything and have shadows on but nothing else.
Same, I messed around with Shadow mode a bit..it's actually pretty damn cool. As for Aria I'll just wait for the forced patch and try her out when I get home from work tomorrow.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Apparently I managed to get the Shadows update without ARIA. Was wondering why there were so many issues.

Suppose I'll just try the reinstall method.

I think there's shadow mode code in the last update... so when they activated, a ton of clients using the older version could access.

It's in a different spot in the final patch, though.

I think there's shadow mode code in the last update... so when they activated, a ton of clients using the older version could access.

It's in a different spot in the final patch, though.

You have the newest update?

Does it let you use more characters in Shadows or is it still limited up until Maya?

Doukou

It's still to Maya. In the final patch its in the main menu rather than single player. I had to reinstall. Got Aria though.

Shadow ball move is great if they are in the air. If they land on it and get hit keeping the kicks in place and wait a second to let go so you can recapture.

Shadow ruin is a good get of of the way move even if it misses you still end up on the other end of the screen.

I will have to try these next time, but I seriously couldnt even move, haha.

Sucks that the 2 ways out of being just worked in a corner is using Shadow attacks, I really just need more practice with all the characters...well except Orchid, Im ok with her, and Ken...err Jago, hes easy to play as well.

Doukou

Anyone else getting Crescendo Fight challenge absurdly quick with Aria?
I've done like 5 matchs and it says I performed the move 1000 times.

.la1n

Shadow feature is really cool. It does pick up on your tendencies and habits. I could see the feature being a lot of fun to mess with going forward. Great job on that mode IG/MS.

Character select isn't initially that much smoother but after initial load it's noticeably snappier for me. Feels like it's really close to being optimal. I am not sure about stage load times yet but on first appearance they seem to be a second or two quicker. Still some lag upon pausing the game at times but it appears that the brightness/gamma blow out was possibly fixed or reduced.

Hisako classic is my favorite retro, not big on the accessories (outside of the pop outfit being fun.) I do wish she had a human skin option like the default skin does. Classic Cinder is exactly what you'd want classic Cinder to be. Hopefully die hard fans of the original are happy with that. Not big on his accessories.

Speaking of Cinder, his moves seem to be coming out a bit smoother now. Probably thanks to cleaning up some of his inputs.

ARIA is pretty fun to play, still getting the hang of using her assist and managing my health. She isn't a character I am initially enamored with but still a nice addition to the roster and I am sure others will like her play style. Her stage music, now that I have heard it in full, has some moments I enjoy but overall not my favorite of the bunch. Stage ultra is fun to see in person, the sound of the wind and impact help it. Hope we see more stage knock offs going forward (or added to some Season 1 stages.) Her inputs may need some cleaning up as well, her normal ultra command seems to 80% of the time come out as a body switch ender instead.

vg260

I'd love to check out ones from people here to train.
Too embarrassed to upload my shadow anytime soon. It would just be like really bad AI. I'm still solely in playing to unlock mode, and have tons to learn. I haven't played online since the rank league change.

On that note, we need a Double XP weekend again asap. Been waiting to work on leveling Cinder until then. So close. Just want it all done.

DopeyFish

just to repeat what keits said in twitch chat earlier in the day:

shadows learns... but it needs to learn from all situations... if you're constantly winning or dominating (ie not uploading the games you lose)... it never learns to play defense

if you're maya, you'd need to play matches where you have to pick up the daggers and play without daggers.... as it won't know what to do without them

just wish they had all characters available already :<

It's crazy that season 2 is almost over. Feels like just yesterday we got news of Double Helix being acquired by Amazon. IMO IG did an amazing job with pretty much everything, especially considering the limited timeframe they had. I still think TJ and Maya's animations are a little weird, and the UI needs another overhaul, but this season overall was super awesome.

I still think Killer Instinct is the best exclusive that is currently on the Xbox One, and really hope we get a S3 confirmation at EVO (or E3 if it's during the conference).

btags

good question... it disappeared so fast that i didn't see. maybe it's both! gives incentive to make more :>

also hard reset your console if your stages look funny after updating

also patch notes: http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=10326.0

A while back they said there was some bug that prevented Thunder and Spinal's stages from looking as good as they did in season 1. Was that ever fixed or did they say anything about when it would be fixed, because I did not see anything about it in these patch notes.

DopeyFish

A while back they said there was some bug that prevented Thunder and Spinal's stages from looking as good as they did in season 1. Was that ever fixed or did they say anything about when it would be fixed, because I did not see anything about it in these patch notes.

There was 3 bugs that caused the poor look. 2 were fixed last patch. Last one might be this patch

I'm guessing counter breaking a Shadow is literally impossible. Every time I start to see a pattern in the breaks the Shadow never goes for it whereas I know a real player would fall for it at least some of the time. Even when I just switch up my pattern the breaks seem to become erratic and random without any pattern at all even after you manage to see a pattern before. I'm guessing it's just working off pure percentages as opposed to knowing what strength of linker/double you have a tendency to break.

.la1n

Looks like they are still using Cinder's old art in the game, was hoping that would be updated this patch. Hopefully the next one.

ARIA really sucks in my opinion. The three health bars is a huge disadvantage. One combo from a character that does even respectable damage and you can say bye bye to your drone. Even as a low damage character you can beat her easily if you keep pressure on. Her defensive abilities are pretty garbage. All she really has is a nice pressure game with blade body.

I'll be getting the achievements for her and moving on ASAP.

My TJ Combo Shadow is fucking braindead holy shit.

Mine's the same way honestly. When I faced him with Jago in the training thing he did fine. When I faced him later with my TJ he was just whiffing command grabs and Powerlines all over the place. Didn't really feel like it was a good reputation of how I play.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is it just me or have some of the colors on stages been adjusted? Thunders stage seems much less 'Blue' than before..looks cleaner/clearer somehow?

Is the best way to get your Shadow into matches to play Shadow Survival and hope people revenge challenge your Shadow?

I played the 25 matches for the achievement earlier and got a few matches that way but since then it's been a slow drip.

Doukou

I would assume so, I guess posting your gamertag here and having people challenge you for the 100 matchs will be fastest.

Also whats with the ugly Aria art for survival, her Hero art exists on the homepage and looks great.

Jarlaxle

Dammit, I'm still anticipating the day that I can play you guys.
Yeah. Hopefully with season 3 they're able to set up some kind of tournament mode. We really should make a lobby of GAF players one day.

My username is Jarlaxle if anyone ever wants to play my Shadow Orchid. She's not great. Ain't nothin like me, cept me.

.la1n

I would assume so, I guess posting your gamertag here and having people challenge you for the 100 matchs will be fastest.

Also whats with the ugly Aria art for survival, her Hero art exists on the homepage and looks great.

Same reason they are still using Cinder's old artwork that looks nothing like him I guess. I fear a lot of the smaller things aren't going to get fixed with season 2 coming to an end.

Shadows are kinda like playing against humans except with Kyle level AI when it comes to combo breakers. Shit is so annoying and really just makes me not even want to play the mode, especially since they're immune to counter breakers.

Edit: Guess this was posted on the KI forums. Not sure what to make of it.

WylBTfr.jpg

Top Bottom