• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

vg260

Imaging trying to maintain the wall splat

Remember, all stages in KI have been functionally equivalent

They could still have ends even if the background scrolls. Stages like that such as train stages have been done before. It may be out of place visually among the others though.

Heatshade

Neo Member
They could still have ends even if the background scrolls. Stages like that such as train stages have been done before. It may be out of place visually among the others though.

Oh yeah! A moving train stage would be so awesome, or a metro. Something to do with heading over to some HQ from Season 3. And it could be at night for a vampire character.

Unit24

It's funny how getting a stick has made me both better and worse at KI. I'm a lot better at combos, but worse at actually starting them.

.la1n

Official KI forums will be back up tomorrow at ultra-combo.com and this time will require your Xbox live information to log in. Should help cut down on some of the less ideal behavior.

vg260

Official KI forums will be back up tomorrow at ultra-combo.com and this time will require your Xbox live information to log in. Should help cut down on some of the less ideal behavior.

Oh, that is good. I only go over there for the official postings because it's such a mess.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Definitely a welcome change, 75% of the posts there were utterly embarrassing.

Sydle

On one hand I like it because it will curtail bad behavior, but on the other hand it's exclusionary and insular.

I can't help but think of the PC poll where a bunch of people registered to help vote for a KI PC port. IIRC, there was a very loud base of KI players/community members who were adamantly against the idea. The low barrier to entry for people who were on the outside looking in allowed them to have a voice and help make something great happen. Allowing others who may not be Xbox gamers yet to speak up on what it would take for them to become KI players may be valuable.

Perhaps the community has gained enough mass that there's a good mix of opinions now, so maybe it's fine to raise the barrier to entry.

*mixed feelings*

Sent you a request (or however it works on xb1, I still don't understand ha)

my name is quote to see

Anyone else can add me, I don't care.
On X1 you can add anybody to your list, however now they have to add you back for you to be on theirs.

Anyone who adds you, without you adding them back, will appear on your followers list.

I'll add you back when I'm next online. Feel free to hit me up if I'm on KI.

Same goes for the rest of you

tapedeck

So the official forums are backup, the new layout is a massive improvement.

tapedeck

an unreadable mess is a massive improvement?

let me guess, you like reddit?
I never visit reddit, so I wouldn't know. I like the new forum layout, it's much more organized and clean IMO.

Who the fuck pissed in your cornflakes? Opinions dude..

tapedeck

Yeah sadly the usual suspects are already tainting the place, I doubt I'll ever post anything there unless they ban half the forum.

.la1n

I like the old website better. It looked more organized to me.

I like the new website but the forum is taking some getting used to. The options it has is much better than the old forum though. Also makes it easier for the developers to bookmark post they want to refer back to. I'm sure that's helpful for bug reports.

I like the new website but the forum is taking some getting used to. The options it has is much better than the old forum though. Also makes it easier for the developers to bookmark post they want to refer back to. I'm sure that's helpful for bug reports.

The website had the same style as the game. the all black background throws me off.

Can someone help me with a parental controls question?

I have a system I need to keep locked out of M-rated games (it's set up in a public setting). I notice Killer Instinct itself is rated T, but the bundles are rated M due to including the arcade game. If I buy the bundle, am I still safe to play the new game with parental controls turned on? I assume so, but want to be sure before I spend the money.

So I have been playing with my stick for a bit, I also kinda braced for a steep learning curve. All in all, it's been going pretty decent actually.

But a question for those who already fully accustomed to playing on a stick:
- Combro breakers besides mediums, doing it without moving your fingers from the top 4 buttons requires quite a bit of dexterity. However, moving them away to do light/heavy breakers is actually slower than I could do on a controller.
- Overreliance on the top row of the buttons, due to my fingers always hovering over that row.

On another note, it might seem strange. But is there anyone with a Hori Hayabusa here? The balltop on my was sort of loose out of the box, not loose in the sense that it would come off but more in a spinning sense, and I would like to refrain it from doing so. It doesn't seem like twisting it left or right does anything and I want to be careful with it.

.la1n

Can someone help me with a parental controls question?

I have a system I need to keep locked out of M-rated games (it's set up in a public setting). I notice Killer Instinct itself is rated T, but the bundles are rated M due to including the arcade game. If I buy the bundle, am I still safe to play the new game with parental controls turned on? I assume so, but want to be sure before I spend the money.

The bundles still install all the games separate so you should have no problems playing the new Killer Instinct. I would assume you'd be locked out of playing KI and KI 2 arcade but those are separate downloads anyway. Killer Instinct 2013 will still be recognized as rated T by the system as it would without a bundle.

So I have been playing with my stick for a bit, I also kinda braced for a steep learning curve. All in all, it's been going pretty decent actually.

But a question for those who already fully accustomed to playing on a stick:
- Combro breakers besides mediums, doing it without moving your fingers from the top 4 buttons requires quite a bit of dexterity. However, moving them away to do light/heavy breakers is actually slower than I could do on a controller.
- Overreliance on the top row of the buttons, due to my fingers always hovering over that row.

It's like learning how to type from scratch. If you didn't grow up playing on arcade sticks then it's going to take some time before your fingers naturally move to the correct position. Also, not sure about others but I grew up using a "high five" type placement of my hand so I'm not naturally drawn to any particular set of buttons. An arcade stick can be just as fast for combo breaking and anything else you would normally do on a controller, if you prefer the controller it's perfectly okay to stick with that. Arcade sticks do not make anyone a better or worse fighting game player, it's just that for old people like me we are just used to playing fighting games that way so it's hard to use controllers sometimes because of habits ingrained from youth.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I always found it odd that KI classic was re-rated to M when it was T on SNES... Probably thanks to the orchid and riptor win cinematic

drotahorror

Stick feels soooo much better wow. I'm so glad I copped a stick for xb1 now. I did think KI played well with a controller though. My main issue with the controller was diagonals were very stiff on my controller with the dpad so I had to use the analog stick.

W/e though, got my Atrox and it feels amazing. I need to disable the last 2 buttons though, I keep hitting them by mistake with my pinky. The quality on that Atrox though, so good. Love how it opens up and has tools and just looks so clean inside.

.la1n

One thing I really hope they plan to address are the particle effects. Jago's fireball darkening the screen was removed for Season 2 because it caused visibility problems during fights. The same thing can be said of the over use of particles in projectiles, especially the Season 1 cast. Biggest culprit is Jago but Glacius, Spinal, and Orchid (when in her instinct) also cause a great deal of visibility problems.

Now that Jago has a double fireball in instinct it's even worse than it was before. Make that mirror match for any of these characters and good luck having any visibility during fights. I'm not saying they need to be removed because they are very much Killer Instinct but just reduce the amount of particles and how long they are on screen would be greatly appreciated.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
One thing I really hope they plan to address are the particle effects. Jago's fireball darkening the screen was removed for Season 2 because it caused visibility problems during fights. The same thing can be said of the over use of particles in projectiles, especially the Season 1 cast. Biggest culprit is Jago but Glacius, Spinal, and Orchid (when in her instinct) also cause a great deal of visibility problems.

Now that Jago has a double fireball in instinct it's even worse than it was before. Make that mirror match for any of these characters and good luck having any visibility during fights. I'm not saying they need to be removed because they are very much Killer Instinct but just reduce the amount of particles and how long they are on screen would be greatly appreciated.

Please dear god dont listen to this person, IG

I legit wish Justin and PR Balrog did not quit KI. No one played Wolf or Orchid respectively like these two. I think top tier SF players would really own at this game if they played.

Unit24

Welp. I just tried an online match after spending a decent amount of time practicing combos and shit, and I got immediately trashed because the other guy was way more experienced and I was suddenly fucking up almost every move/combo I know. This pretty much justified my fear of playing fighting games online.

Welp. I just tried an online match after spending a decent amount of time practicing combos and shit, and I got immediately trashed because the other guy was way more experienced and I was suddenly fucking up almost every move/combo I know. This pretty much justified my fear of playing fighting games online.

Not playing will not make you any better. You have to play against people to learn match ups and styles of play. Only way to get better is to take your lumps. Or watch some youtube vids of the character you play. You can learn how you should play faster.

Unit24

Not playing will not make you any better. You have to play against people to learn match ups and styles of play. Only way to get better is to take your lumps. Or watch some youtube vids of the character you play. You can learn how you should play faster.

Yeah, I'm not going to give up, it's just kind of a bummer. I'm mostly upset because it made me realize that I succumb to mashing really easily. When the other guy is right in front of me and I have a chance to hit him, I'm really not sure what to do, so I end up just doing whatever, which usually ends in disaster for me.

Ishmae1

Yeah, I'm not going to give up, it's just kind of a bummer. I'm mostly upset because it made me realize that I succumb to mashing really easily. When the other guy is right in front of me and I have a chance to hit him, I'm really not sure what to do, so I end up just doing whatever, which usually ends in disaster for me.

What you're doing is exactly what happens on the way to improving at the game. Practice gets you so far, and you get stuff down, but then when you hit real players, you can get easily flustered and forget everything you've been learning. The calm, collected player that's in there will eventually come out, but you'll get beaten regularly until that nerve / edge is cooled off.

It's just time and play -- don't sweat it.

vg260

Anyone have issues with the character 10-win endurance achievements not popping? I was going through doing these and the Sadira one was not popping. I did 12+ streaks on two different tries and it still didn't pop. Is this a known bug?

Unit24

I'm starting to think I should just stop playing as Riptor. I keep accidentally running backwards when I really want to block, and the backward-forward motions are not something I can reliably pull off for some reason. I keep getting trashed by Jago on Hard difficulty, even though I used to be able to win on Hard pretty reliably.

Doukou

I'm starting to think I should just stop playing as Riptor. I keep accidentally running backwards when I really want to block, and the backward-forward motions are not something I can reliably pull off for some reason. I keep getting trashed by Jago on Hard difficulty, even though I used to be able to win on Hard pretty reliably.

I would probably switch to a single motion character, like Hisako, Wulf(cept his up down), Maya, Glacius etc. I always found that it takes awhile to get used to characters like Riptor and Cinder since I will accidentally get a quarter circle when I wanted a back-forward.
Not to mention I think Riptor might be a bit deceiving for new players. She seems very strong at first but online you are going to find that everything she has gets punished either by slow recovery or shadow counters(this is a big weakness of hers). Learning to keep people trapped without letting yourself get hit might be a bit difficult if its your first online experience.
So pumped! Made it to Killer rank on two seperate 15 game win streaks Friday night and then Saturday.
Got a clip of my final 3 fights to get the rank, fucking love this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyoL79ForWo

Nice those were some pretty convincing victories, all supreme.

Top Bottom