• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

hwalker84

No problem with extending combo length personally but I'm an old Marvel player. I don't see any reason why there can't be discussion about making adjustments to the combo system to make it a bit less random guesses for most people.

If you guess random and get eaten alive that's on you. I don't really see a problem with learning what every characters linkers look like and eliminating guess work. That's what separates the randoms from the good players.

.la1n

If you guess random and get eaten alive that's on you. I don't really see a problem with learning what every characters linkers look like and eliminating guess work. That's what separates the randoms from the good players.

I do understand your position on it but I don't even know top level players capable of reacting to every linker in the game, even they make educated guesses most of the time.

.la1n

Is it me or do JP players play like SF?

There is more emphasis on spacing and defense for sure but that isn't a strategy exclusive to SF.

I also want to give them a huge shout out for utilizing the character select button check instead of going into a match for some asinine reason like we do in the states.

edit: something I realize is missing from KI after playing a lot of SF lately: we need to be able to search for ranked/player matches while in training and/or allow us to practice while searching for matches online.

The Flash

Banned
@iconmaster That really seems to be a fan favorite!

https://twitter.com/KillerInstinct/status/659781907308122113

Thinking_face.jpg

.la1n

Would prefer Master Chief over Joanna - not so much the character design (I prefer Joanna's aesthetics) but I think MC would be able to bring more inventive game play.

Sponge

Banned
Would prefer Master Chief over Joanna - not so much the character design (I prefer Joanna's aesthetics) but I think MC would be able to bring more inventive game play.

I agree. I would love to see what Iron Galaxy could do with Master Chief.

Doukou

At first I was like that's it for Rash's ultra but then I got it.

I think if they were going to do Master Chief they would have talked about it already or at the very least announce it soon when the Halo train is the strongest.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I still want Sub-Zero, but I started thinking about other MK guests and damn...Kabal would be fucking perfect for this game.

.la1n

I'd be okay with any Spartan from Reach, Osiris, or Blue team. I think the best guest character would be something from the Gears universe just because I think out of all the MS franchises it probably would look the least out of place in KI.

I really thought we might see Shadow Jago this month, hopefully in November :(

edit: Sub-Zero or Scorpion would be pretty sick, don't see it happening though. Obviously personal bias but a character from Darkstalkers would be the greatest of all time. Can't imagine the amount of BS to cut through to get to use one of those characters though.

Spade

That Shadow Jago figure! Definitely planning to get it. Any particular dates mentioned for the figure(s) yet?

Edit: Earlier tweet supposedly says March 2016. Nice!

Doukou

Love that package reminds of that GPU chip packaging.

Though either Jago is not in my budget. I gotta save for Fulgore and Agaggy

.la1n

I think they are launching a pre order site for the figures in December. I think they are really well done but not sure I can see myself purchasing any. I have enough useless figures my wife makes fun of me for :p

Doukou

So just got my elite controller not really sure if I find the circle dpad good for KI though. I can't seem to find the way to rest my thumb on it

.la1n

So just got my elite controller not really sure if I find the circle dpad good for KI though. I can't seem to find the way to rest my thumb on it

Never looked very intuitive to me for a fighting game but it's a nice looking controller overall.

IbukiLordSA

Getting back into KI, I still think it's the best fighter this gen, hate living in this country though, no one plays this :( it sucks.

I need season 3 in my life

Zubz

Banned
Thoughts?

Tusk: With all the characters that resemble movie monsters, I think it'd be fine if Tusk went back and took more elements from Conan; the armor and beard are fantastic, but longer hair/broader shoulders might be a nice touch to make Tusk feel more like his KI2 self.

Kim Wu: Her design was pretty basic before, so anything to give her more personality's a plus in my book. The breast hanging out from her top seems a bit gratuitous, but other than that, I love this design because of how badass it seems, as well as Kim Wu's determined expression making her look far more fierce than she did in KI2. Granted, the frozen face didn't help her back then.

Eyedol: I actually liked Eyedol's old appearance as an ogre, and wouldn't've minded it showing up in KI with only a couple of adjustments. However, this design is still better; I like the fact that he has a reptilian face on top of his ungulate lower body from before. Honestly, although I liked Eyedol before, I'd be chomping at the bits for him if he came back like this.

Gargos: Like Kim Wu, the old Gargos was pretty basic. This design doesn't add too much to him, but making his "wings" just extensions from his forearm, a warped expression, and a hunched frame make him look pretty imposing. Just give him a few tiger-esque features to go along with him being the "Tiger Spirit" and he's perfect!

Vladtepes: A hideous, Nosferatu-esque vampire with stakes lodged in his body to affix a cape to his shoulders? I'd force myself to main him at the very second he'd be released! Granted, I said the same thing about Rash...

Where did these designs come from, by the way? I'm assuming they're fanmade, since I'd doubt we'd see anything close to an S3 hint beyond Rash and the Kim Wu teaser in his trailer, but they're incredibly good!

Skab

Thunder's story is up.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/murder-of-crows/

Thunder grew up on a Nez Perce reservation in Idaho with his younger brother Eagle. They were the grandchildren of a chief, and their parents were both tribal police officers who encouraged their boys to “walk with the law,” keeping the moral high-ground and refusing to give in to negativity and vice. The brothers studied hard in school and were gifted athletes. Thunder was built like a mountain and played football, while Eagle was a wrestler and amateur boxer.

When Thunder was a teenager he went on a vision quest in the wilderness to seek his weyekin or spirit guide that would help bridge the gap between our world and the Spirit World. A great storm came as he sat upon a mountaintop, bolts of lightning striking all round him. His spirit guide came to him at that moment. Thunder saw a flock of crows appear from nowhere, and one them—a great black bird—spoke to him in his native language. It told him that he would fight an evil monster one day, and that he must begin training in earnest with the traditional weapon of Native Americans—the tomahawk. He became obsessed with keeping his heritage alive after that, studying the Nez Perce language, folklore and even traditional medicine with the elders of his tribe, his goal to one day become a teacher at the local Indian college.

Eagle went on his own vision quest a few years later. He would never tell Thunder what he saw, but soon after he discovered his weyekin he started training to become an ultimate fighter with an almost religious fervor.

When Thunder and Eagle were in their late twenties, their parents were killed under mysterious circumstances. The couple was gunned down outside an Ultratech facility near the reservation—a factory that had been fined repeatedly for polluting the native land. The FBI blamed their deaths on drug dealers, but Thunder and Eagle knew better.

The brothers started trying to build a case against Ultratech, which they suspected was behind the murders. But all of their efforts were thwarted by the powerful megacorp. In a desperate attempt to infiltrate Ultratech, Eagle—now a skilled amateur fighter—entered the first Killer Instinct tournament. Ultratech claimed that the young man was killed in a match, but they refused to return the corpse to Thunder and his tribe for burial.

In a fit of blind rage Thunder drove his car through the gates of the local Ultratech plant. He jumped out of his car and fought the security guards who’d surrounded him, putting a dozen of them in the hospital. He was caught by the tribal police and incarcerated, screaming that he would “Burn Ultratech to the ground.” The charges against him were quickly dropped by Ultratech and he was released from jail. That night the Ultratech facility was set on fire by an arsonist and it was completely destroyed, along with any answers about his parents’ death that might be hidden there. Thunder knew that he was being framed for the fire and fled the reservation on his motorcycle.

He was on the run for nearly a year. Finally he went into the high desert mountains near a place called Devil’s Landing and did another vision quest, starving himself for a week. A powerful vision came to him and he saw a metal eagle in the sky, calling out his Nez Perce name “Hinmatoon.” When he awoke, Thunder painted himself with the black design of the eagle on his shoulders, then set out for the second Killer Instinct tournament. Here, during one of the fights, he came face to face with the mechanical being called Fulgore—the newest version of Ultratech’s battle cyborg. Thunder’s gut told him that this mechanical aberration was fighting with the same style as his brother Eagle. He wondered if they had somehow extracted Eagle’s consciousness, but he was not able to prove whether or not this was true. Furthermore he was unable to recover the remains of his brother, and so he continued on what he called the “Path of the Eagle,” vowing to find answers or death.

Thunder’s path led him to a confrontation with Aganos—an ancient war golem who was under the sway of Ultratech. Thunder could sense the conflict inside the creature. He went into a fury, summoning the power of his weyekin and channeling a bolt of lightning, destroying the technology controlling the golem, and thus setting him free. Instantly a strange kinship and telekinetic bond was forged between the two. They embarked on a dual quest: track down Aganos’s enemy—the evil sorcerer Kan-Ra; and break into Ultratech’s labs to search for Eagle’s remains.

Little does Thunder know that he may be forced to ally himself with his hated enemy—Ultratech—in order to face an even more sinister force that threatens both our planet and other dimensions.

The path to truth and justice will be wrought with the corpses of new and more powerful foes, but Thunder does not wish for his new allies to share in this fate. He must train and improve his tribe’s most devastating technique, the Sammamish, as the loss of new friends could be too great for his wounded heart to bear.

Sammamish changes on the way then.

Doukou

I like Thunder's story the best it makes him really feel more than 90s native american guy but he was a normal guy that went kind of crazy/obsessed.

Sammarish change has to be different levels for skyfall right?

tapedeck

I just want the feathers to glow during Sammamish like they did in KI1 lol, shit looked dope.

Is have all of the season 1 guys. Are the season 2 characters any good? Total noob to this game except I played the original when it was in the arcades.

Patch notes

New Features

*You can new purchase the long-awaited XP Boosters from the Store!
*Shadow Lab – Added ability to watch Shadow Match replays in Shadow Activity!
*Shadow Lab – Added Cinder and ARIA Shadows
*Added HUD Meter Volume slider to Audio Options
Shadow Lab Fixes

*Fixed an issue where Bounties were not deleted when the list reached its limit
*Fixed an issue where signing out during Shadow Activity rewards process caused a softlock
*Fixed an issue where Command Throws impacted the “Throw Tech” stat in Shadow Brain
*Fixed an issue where loading into a 100 SP tier Shadow Survival match actually loaded into a 50 SP tier match
*Various other system intelligence and performance improvements
Miscellaneous Fixes

*Renamed Kyle difficulty to “Ultimate (Kyle)”
*Fixed an issue that caused Alchemical Lab to appear washed out after playing in Crash Site
*Fixed an issue where Spinal’s Viking Boots appeared overly dark
*Fixed an issue where Riptor clip through her Dino Armor accessories
*Fixed an issue where Riptor’s Feathered Limbs had missing pieces
*Fixed an issue where Jago’s intro can be heard during Omen’s intro when vs Jago
System Changes:

*Fixed a bug that would eat a player’s special cancel input if their opponent performed a Shadow Counter during the blockstop from the attack.
*Fixed an issue that allowed several characters to perform Auto Doubles and Linkers after Instinct Activation following a Wall Splat. All characters must now perform a manual in order to combo after a Wall Splat.
*Fixed an issue preventing certain Shadow moves that were breakable after a Wall Splat from being Counter Breakable.
*Fixed a bug where some Enders could become counter breakable on whiff. Enders now only become breakable if the opponent is in a hit reaction.
Jago:

*Fixed a bug that could cause two crouching light kicks to come out in one button press if performed late after a standing light kick.
*Fixed a bug that caused Shadow Tiger Fury to be Counter Breakable on block.
Sabrewulf:

*Fixed a bug that could cause Linker Shadow Leaping Slash to be bluffable and blocked after certain attacks.
Thunder:

*Fixed a bug that could cause Linker Shadow Ankle Slicer and Linker Shadow Triplax to be bluffable and blocked after certain attacks.
Sadira:

*Fixed a bug that could cause Linker Shadow Blade Demon and Linker Shadow Widow’s Bite to be bluffable and blocked after certain attacks or jump cancels.
Orchid:

*Fixed a bug preventing Orchid’s Firecats in instinct from being destroyable by normals that destroy projectiles.
TJ Combo:

*Fixed a bug that could cause Linker Shadow Flying Knee to be bluffable and blocked after certain attacks.
Kan Ra:

*Fixed a bug that could cause Antilion to teleport Kan-Ra as if the hit was successful even if it missed, so long as the opponent was in hitstun from a swarm or another move.
*Fixed a very rare issue that could cause his Ultra Combo to drop the opponent.
Riptor:

*Fix a bug that would cause Primal Linkers to come out on Heavy Buttons instead of Heavy Auto Doubles if you performed an opener special move right after a flame attack.
Omen:

*Fixed a bug we accidentally introduced in 2.10 that prevented Omen from canceling the later half of his throw into Instinct.
Aganos:

*Fixed a bug causing Peacemaker Command Grab to whiff if the opponent was armored.
*Fixed a bug causing Aganos to be throwable during the ground ‘face slam’ version of recapture.
*Fixed a bug that allowed Aganos to get a fresh Peacemaker in certain Grab->WallCrash situations even though it should have been destroyed.
*Fixed a bug where an opponent would still impact an Aganos wall after successfully performing a Combo Breaker.
Hisako:

*Fixed an issue causing the recapture stun to be much shorter on the Medium and Heavy versions of Air On Ryo Zan.
*Fixed a bug that could cause Linker Shadow On Ryo Zan to be bluffable and blocked after certain attacks.
*Fixed a bug preventing Possession from grabbing characters who were performing attacks labeled Unblockable (such as Glacius Shatter).
Cinder:

*Fixed a bug causing Heavy Fission to be very negative instead of very positive.
*Redid the bugged Inferno frame data to make it more useful in combat.
*Fixed a bug where Fission Linker hitboxes could be retriggered after a blowout.
Aria:

*Fixed a bug that caused Explosive Arc to turn on projectile hitstop while a drone was hitting the opponent.
No changes for Spinal, Glacius, Fulgore, & Maya.

.la1n

Interested to see what XP boosters are priced at and how much they boost compared to the normal promotions.

Loaded up the game to check out boosters. Seems to be only three of them, all of them give a 200% XP boost.

One day costs 750 KI Gold.
Three days costs 1500 KI Gold.
Nine days costs 3000 KI Gold.

Converting that to real money that's approximately $2.50, $5, and $9ish respectively.

.la1n

Loaded up the game to check out boosters. Seems to be only three of them, all of them give a 200% XP boost.

One day costs 750 KI Gold.
Three days costs 1500 KI Gold.
Nine days costs 3000 KI Gold.

Converting that to real money that's approximately $2.50, $5, and $9ish respectively.

Meh. If I'm spending real money I expect them to cut out more of the grind-a-thon and 200% doesn't cut it.

vg260

I certainly hope the bonus XP days will not be less frequent now.

Those don't seem like a very good deal when you still have to do all the grinding. At 2XP you still pretty much would have to grind all weekend to max out a character. So that's 5 bucks right there plus all that work just for one.

I still find the cost of the extra colors and parts and/or the work involved unreasonable for those who bought the whole $40 package. Just let us get everything for a reasonable price if we want. The pricing/grinding model is still too skewed towards making money off the f2p users who buy content piecemeal and still seems to punish those who prefer just to pay upfront to avoid all that nonsense. Plus, there's no way around having to grind for the last costumes color, many of which are the most interesting.

tapedeck

About possible Sammamish changes, I was thinking maybe (hoping) they're adding the in-air tomahawk follow up from KI1..the one where at the peek of the Sammamish in air you can follow up with the axe move that goes diagonally back to the ground..?

Would be a perfect 'recapture' tool.

Top Bottom