• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

.la1n

I think the changes will be great for new players and spectators. It's really great to see them trying to embrace the current players while still working toward welcoming new ones. Pretty smart considering there will be a lot of new players with the PC release. I like the subtle shadow meter changes as well.

Jawmuncher

I'm on the edge of buying Season 2 for 20.00. But I really want Season 1 as well at the same price.
I wonder how they're going to push Season 3, since there's no more KI games to sell separately to interest people into the Ultra Version. Which is the only reason I'm not just buying the 10 dollar version.

Edit actually looking at the accessories I dunno if I should get the Ultra Edition.
Would basically be 10 bucks for characters and the other 10 for Killer Instinct 2 classic.
I don't want Killer Instinct 2 THAT much.

.la1n

Can't play right now but can anyone confirm whether Spinal's stage ground textures are screwed up? I swear when I was playing earlier it looked like they were zoomed in, blurry, something was up. Wasn't sure if it was my system or the game.

Grisby

So hows the community for newbies? I bought season 1 at launch, played for a bit, and have been eyeing season during this Black Friday sale.

If I already have Season 1 DL, how big is the season 2 DL? Also, the $20 BF version just has extra costumes and the arcade game right (also looks like it might include season 1 but I already own that)?

If I already have Season 1 DL, how big is the season 2 DL? Also, the $20 BF version just has extra costumes and the arcade game right (also looks like it might include season 1 but I already own that)?

The game automatically updates with all of the new content, since you'll need it to play online, so all of the Season 2 content is already installed on your Xbox One hard drive, and buying Season 2 just unlocks it for use.

The sale right now is for Season 2 Ultra Edition, which is all of the Season 2 characters and their extra costumes and accessories, and the arcade version of Killer Instinct 2 with online play. It does not include any Season 1 content, or the original Killer Instinct arcade game.

Grisby

The game automatically updates with all of the new content, since you'll need it to play online, so all of the Season 2 content is already installed on your Xbox One hard drive, and buying Season 2 just unlocks it for use.

The sale right now is for Season 2 Ultra Edition, which is all of the Season 2 characters and their extra costumes and accessories, and the arcade version of Killer Instinct 2 with online play. It does not include any Season 1 content, or the original Killer Instinct arcade game.
Sounds good.

Hugstable

Banned
Does Season 1 Ultra go on sale often? Just picked up Season 2 Ultra for 20$ during the Black Friday sale but noticed that Season 1 is still at full price 40$. Don't mind waiting as I now got alot of characters from Season 2, but don't know if I'm willing to drop a full 40$ for the first season

Does Season 1 Ultra go on sale often? Just picked up Season 2 Ultra for 20$ during the Black Friday sale but noticed that Season 1 is still at full price 40$. Don't mind waiting as I now got alot of characters from Season 2, but don't know if I'm willing to drop a full 40$ for the first season

I don't think it goes on sale too often, but the characters have been going on sale for .99 a piece for the past couple weeks.

Skab

Spinal story is up. http://www.ultra-combo.com/the-quest-of-the-searing-skull/

In clearer moments, when the insanity of his ancient bane isn’t fully in control, Spinal remembers snippets of his previous existence, before he was cursed, when he was human, feared, and rich….

Recruited by a scheming vizier in ancient Babylon, Spinal and his bandit network were hired to disrupt the city’s flow of resources—one small move of the Vizier to lessen the King’s power by constricting his wealth. The monarch proved too wise however, and the conspirators were rooted out, captured, and subjected to sorcery. Each was burdened with a curse that would unravel their bodies and minds in unique and diabolical ways.

As punishment for his rebellion against rule, Spinal was shackled to a powerful artifact of control: the Mask of the Ancients. This accursed veil turned Spinal into an unthinking arm of the King’s will, bound to protect and serve the potentate, with no ability to question even the most suicidal of orders. The Mask did not prevent rebellious thoughts and free will; but it overrode any attempt to disobey the King’s commands.

Trapped inside his own head, Spinal went mad as his body carried out more and more brash and dangerous tasks at the behest of the king. He felt every cut, break, and wound his body endured, but he could not act against the all-powerful will of the Mask. He had become a mere automaton wielding dark magicks.

After a time, the King grew bored with this torment and ordered Spinal to burn himself alive as a final rite of purification in penance for his crimes. While his flesh melted away, Spinal’s skeleton remained, and even when the Mask was removed from his seared and smoking skull, there yet persisted a will and a force that moved the bones, however feeble it might be.

Fearing that this punishment would backfire on him, the King ordered the wretch’s remains sealed in a lead coffer and the Mask thrown into the sea. Over centuries of isolation and imprisonment in that confined space, Spinal slowly gained control of his body, able to once again exert a will on his bones and form them back into a human skeleton, held together by ghostly sinews.

The cost on his undying mind, however, was grave; and most of what was the man was now burned away to insanity and unquenched desire. But he was finally strong enough to break out of his coffer, and Spinal wandered beneath the oceans and seas, searching fruitlessly for the Mask, scouring the wrecks of ships for any trace of it.

Washing up in the Caribbean centuries later (and drawn by a pull he could not understand) Spinal took up a pirate’s life as a way to track and plunder precious items moving around the continents, always focused on finding the Mask. Many stories were told of the skeletal pirate and his dread galleon sinking vessels full of treasure and gold without ever looting a single coin—the demented marauder laughing with mad glee as he preyed on his victims. For Spinal had finally embraced his insanity…and he felt a primal joy as he wreaked havoc and chaos with rediscovered magicks.

What he did not know was that the sought-after relic had not been thrown into the deep as the Babylonian King had commanded. Through the years the fabled Mask of the Ancients had moved from collector to collector until finally, it had fallen into the hands of Ultratech and ARIA. Researching its origins, the AI gleaned its connection to this strange undead creature wandering the seas, and used it to lure Spinal to her side. ARIA dangled the Mask as a reward for entering the Killer Instinct tournament…and so Spinal agreed.

While ARIA did indeed manipulate Spinal to serve her needs, she granted him the Mask once the tournament had ended. Spinal donned it with an insane glee, hoping to augment his power and spread pandemonium throughout the world. But he found the Mask’s power had been utterly stripped.

Knowing there are greater powers at work, Spinal sets out to find what robbed his relic of its faculties, hoping to defeat that entity and absorb its might so that he can infect the world with a glorious and maniacal frenzy.

Spinal’s ability to curse his victims has been diminishing, and he suspects it is due to the Mask’s loss of power. His control over the magicks that bind him, however, are increasing. His instinct tells him to embrace his life as an agent of chaos and to do anything necessary to master these magicks and grant himself insane new abilities.

Those season 3 hints have my full attention. So many possibilities.

The Flash

Banned
insane new abilities.

5AwR3h.jpg

Skab

I wonder if they're outright removing the cursing mechanic, or just lowering the potency?

I would actually be more than okay with them removing/replacing it, as long as the new stuff wasn't bad. But knowing IG, they won't disappoint.

(This also has me curious about/looking forward to Fulgore.)

Friday is definitely earlier than I expected. Shame about no tease though, season 3 is coming up fast so surely they have to start putting some info out there soon.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shago lookin nice! Love the dive multi-kick and sword-nado, good to see entirely fresh moves on him.

Also, for those saying there's no tease... is that true? Should Shago doing his "Ultimate" animation as a finish possibly be a tease to Ultimates coming for all character in S3? Or are we assuming it's just the style of his Ultra Combo? If that's his ultra ender, it's the best in the game, but totally loses the point of "short and sweet", lol. (Note: I wouldn't mind this, personally.)

.la1n

Also, for those saying there's no tease... is that true? Should Shago doing his "Ultimate" animation as a finish possibly be a tease to Ultimates coming for all character in S3? Or are we assuming it's just the style of his Ultra Combo? If that's his ultra ender, it's the best in the game, but totally loses the point of "short and sweet", lol. (Note: I wouldn't mind this, personally.)

I think the ultimate at the end is in fact a tease. It's altered from the original and it uses an entirely black background (which would be a good workaround to get all ultimates to work on all stages without needing to do a lot of camera work custom for each stage.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think the ultimate at the end is in fact a tease. It's altered from the original and it uses an entirely black background (which would be a good workaround to get all ultimates to work on all stages without needing to do a lot of camera work custom for each stage.)

Yup, and would make them stand out too. I wouldn't mind if they pulled the Blazblue-like (Or later Samurai Shodown-like)"Ultimates warp you to a random dimension of DEATH" thing either, just so it'd be something more involved than a black screen.

Considering that Final Blow Shago delivers, that definitely looks fatal, much like Riptor's offscreen chomping at opponents.

Here's a link to the trailer, since you all are jerks and made me go find it myself!! :p

https://youtu.be/fN7ilHgk4Gg

He looks cool, hopefully he gets a full set of items and everything too.

Heh, hate when that happens. Guess everyone assumes we've all seen it in the Gaming Discussion New Thread.

I'd understand if he gets no colors or accessories immediately, but I hope he gets some as time goes on, even if just as recolors of Jagos.

.la1n

I would expect probably the same amount of accessories and colors as Omen, hopefully some of the non goofy variety. My only concern with Shadow Jago is from a tournament attendee perspective, if TOs do not have a guaranteed way to have access to Shadow Jago at any time then he becomes banned from all tournaments. Limited purchase won't work, unless they work out something where TOs will be able to always access the character purchase/download.

Keits and Iron Galaxy would agree I know so it may be a Microsoft barrier where the Microsoft Studio team wants to keep a limited window for purchase.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Dec 4th is a nice surprise..wasnt expecting Shago until right before Christmas TBH.

He looks pretty cool, kinda hard to tell how he will play from that trailer but I'm definitely psyched..he's got that Akuma vibe for sure. His visual design has been my favorite by far since the game first launched, at last we get the real thing.

Dec 4th is a nice surprise..wasnt expecting Shago until right before Christmas TBH.

He looks pretty cool, kinda hard to tell how he will play from that trailer but I'm definitely psyched..he's got that Akuma vibe for sure. His visual design has been my favorite by far since the game first launched, at last we get the real thing.
image.php

Kalentan

So I got Orchid for $1 and went online with her... Granted I've never played the game before but I've played a fair share of fighters. Hell in my first match I even made some good combos... Yet when I play online, I'm not sure if it's lag... But it always feels like the opponent is moving at 2x speed and most of my blocks don't register. I made sure to only go up against people of similar skill level (Qualifer), but it doesn't feel like it.

Edit: Managed to win against this one guy twice (although he beat me 4 times, I nearly won against him in our last match.)

One of the wins was amazing. I did the Orchid attack that caused the light energy stuff to fly up from the ground and I had a literal sliver of health and it killed him.

So I got Orchid for $1 and went online with her... Granted I've never played the game before but I've played a fair share of fighters. Hell in my first match I even made some good combos... Yet when I play online, I'm not sure if it's lag... But it always feels like the opponent is moving at 2x speed and most of my blocks don't register. I made sure to only go up against people of similar skill level (Qualifer), but it doesn't feel like it.

Edit: Managed to win against this one guy twice (although he beat me 4 times, I nearly won against him in our last match.)

One of the wins was amazing. I did the Orchid attack that caused the light energy stuff to fly up from the ground and I had a literal sliver of health and it killed him.
Funny enough I've found KI to be the only game where the online play closely matches local play. Have rarely encountered lag, if any.

I'm playing MKX lately and the difference in netkode quality is staggering.

Kalentan

Funny enough I've found KI to be the only game where the online play closely matches local play. Have rarely encountered lag, if any.

I'm playing MKX lately and the difference in netkode quality is staggering.

It honestly may have just been the two people I faced before the guy that I had won against. They moved very sporadically. Like so much so I felt I could barely keep up with them.

Yay, stream just started......and man I can't wait for those toys next year.

EDIT: Shago's Color 9
2fRXgXo.jpg

EDIT 2: New S3 mechanic is Stagger.

Stagger....?
Basically in S3, characters will have certain moves that causes a stagger which gives you a short combo opportunity during that time. Think of it as kinda like a wall splat without the wall I guess? Very short time so you have to be quick.

EDIT: For those who don't have have Shadow Jago yet, you'll have a limited time to purchase him on Dec 18th - Jan 18th.

Warxard

Banned
Basically in S3, characters will have certain moves that causes a stagger which gives you a short combo opportunity during that time. Think of it as kinda like a wall splat without the wall I guess? Very short time so you have to be quick.

EDIT: For those who don't have have Shadow Jago yet, you'll have a limited time to purchase him on Dec 18th - Jan 18th.

That's weird!

Doukou

So if I'm getting the PC version in March I won't be able to get Shadow Jago?
You could buy it now and it will carry over to PC

Stagger might be a S3 mechanic they said, they will see how melds with Shago first.

Also what an insane instinct best one easily.

.la1n

Yeah kinda bummed about that, wished all the characters had an Ultimate. Also they've been pretty hush hush on S3 in general, dunno if we'll hear anything about it this year :(.

I'll keep my fingers crossed we at least see some season one stage ultras.

dankir

Wow just finished watching the stream, Shago is fucking crazy!

Tethering, crazy crazy mixups, amazing creativity.

Will all characters get Surge meters?
Will he really be the only one with an Ultimate? That's a real shame :(

Sydle

http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/v/28013341

Also, how shitty is it that we still won't have ultimate for the rest of the cast in Season 3?

:(

He said Shago was the only character with an ultimate in this game. He didn't say the only character who will ever have an ultimate.

They've been misleading before. I remember when they said they were not going to up the resolution for Season 2, but did anyway.

If the community is vocal enough about it I think they'll do it, and monetize it somehow, but I think it was smart not committing to it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Shago looks damn good, that said..

No Ultimates for anyone else is REALLY lame. Also how can they seriously not update the HUD graphics for S3??? They look dated as hell at this point, and no I don't give a flying fuck that we get a few new text indicators...yay.

I'll still hold out hope that maybe we'll get some of this stuff mid season but probably not.

-_-

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I found the Ultimate answer particularly misleading. Which is fine! Shago being the only one with an ULT doesn't mean other characters couldn't get comparable actions with different names, or that he'll be the only one with it in the game when more characters are introduced (who currently are NOT in the game, ha).

Shago also... REALLY reminds me of Dimitri from Darkstalkers, move wise.

- Ground and Air Horizontal Fireball.
- Back and Forward regular dashes that make him invincible AND invisible at certain points.
-The ability to cancel his dash into a forward tilted corkscrew uppercut
- A "Raging Demon" style move, with variations!
- A Vertical hitting uppercut that also spins.
- A teleporting dive that can multihit.

He's pretty much a Dimitri Fanservice character. Let me mention I have NO PROBLEM WITH THIS AT ALL, lol.

One minor Nitpick is that I don't understand why Shago has a modded stance on the character select... but is same as Jago in game. Modified stance for in-match too, please!

I like this new Stagger Mechanic, too. It's another feature that feels like it sits between KI and SF / more modern fighters in the mechanics realm. Good for combo play, for giving recognizable damage states, and for giving a free-form combo option that still fits within the rules of KI combo play, but also opens up the potential for more mixup / knockdown shenanigans.

It is nice having Keits speaking out the pros and cons of moves as he goes over them. Much like KI season 1, it just feels good to see balance and creation presented by people who understand the dev and player sides of the spectrum.

Top Bottom