• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Guess this is his taunt then.

SCoXaBD.gif

Not sure why it wasn't in his beta. I assume taunts are pretty simple to work out.

where did this come from?

.la1n

Wanted to get some opinions on something. I have been noticing a common message popping up, especially lately with S3 announced, from a lot of top level players and respected players who have yet to jump in. The concern seems to be that the combo system in it's current iteration is hurting the game more than it is helping. It also seems to turn off a lot of potential players who would otherwise have interest in playing the game. Note: not because it's complicated or overly hard to grasp but because it just isn't fun.

Personally, I agree. I'd prefer it be reworked. Obviously it can't be dropped because so much of the game relies on it's presence. I'd much prefer something like MK X where breakers require resources and have a true reset to neutral. In Killer Instinct I feel like I go through the effort of playing footsies and waiting to open up an opponent but instead of being rewarded for doing so if the opponent breaks you can actually end up at disadvantage, especially if they have meter loaded where there are ways for a lot characters to punish you after the break.

Just something I have seen popping up more so thought I'd see what you guys think. Is the combo system in it's current form hurting more than helping?

vg260

The combo system is actually the thing I like least about the game. Not so much the breaking aspect in general, just that doing combos once started and breaker mechanisms aren't that fun to me. Not really fond of the guessing game mechanism. I know you can learn to recognize moves, but it takes a lot of work and if you miss, you have to eat a long boring combo. I'd rather you use resources to break. Too much of time out of the matches take place in what amounts to a mini-game where you aren't actually playing a fighting game, if that makes sense.

I like the rest enough to deal with it, but it is a big turn off to a lot of people, so I'd say it's hurting, but it's part of KI's DNA, so it's tough.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wanted to get some opinions on something. I have been noticing a common message popping up, especially lately with S3 announced, from a lot of top level players and respected players who have yet to jump in. The concern seems to be that the combo system in it's current iteration is hurting the game more than it is helping. It also seems to turn off a lot of potential players who would otherwise have interest in playing the game. Note: not because it's complicated or overly hard to grasp but because it just isn't fun.

Personally, I agree. I'd prefer it be reworked. Obviously it can't be dropped because so much of the game relies on it's presence. I'd much prefer something like MK X where breakers require resources and have a true reset to neutral. In Killer Instinct I feel like I go through the effort of playing footsies and waiting to open up an opponent but instead of being rewarded for doing so if the opponent breaks you can actually end up at disadvantage, especially if they have meter loaded where there are ways for a lot characters to punish you after the break.

Just something I have seen popping up more so thought I'd see what you guys think. Is the combo system in it's current form hurting more than helping?
Great post and I pretty much agree with everything you said. For me the game has become less and less fun with all the short one chance break combos and 50/50 manual breaker guessing. KI in its current state DOES NOT INCOURAGE LENGTHY COMBOS...which is the whole point of the games inception so yeah that needs to be addressed in S3. IMO breakers need to be less frequent, whether that's from them costing resources or being harder to land or both.

Doukou

I really like Eyedol from those images. It takes a weird concept and in my opinion makes it cool and still unique.

Tusk feels way to different, in my opinion he should at least be relatively handsome as his 64 incarnation. He looks like he is from Skyrim also with that face
I don't like Kim Wu's body proportions from that image, it just seems unnatural.
Gargos is alright, I prefer the older looking version on Shago's instinct though.
I never really liked the beast vampires, they always felt like werebats.

hwalker84

The combo system is actually the thing I like least about the game. Not so much the breaking aspect in general, just that doing combos once started and breaker mechanisms aren't that fun to me. Not really fond of the guessing game mechanism. I know you can learn to recognize moves, but it takes a lot of work and if you miss, you have to eat a long boring combo. I'd rather you use resources to break. Too much of time out of the matches take place in what amounts to a mini-game where you aren't actually playing a fighting game, if that makes sense.

I like the rest enough to deal with it, but it is a big turn off to a lot of people, so I'd say it's hurting, but it's part of KI's DNA, so it's tough.

Really? I think Tusk's is the best out of the bunch. Granted Gargos' and Eyedol's are pretty extreme.

I agree with you. Hate them all except Tusk.

The Flash

Banned
So I've started laying down some of the groundwork for the S3 OT cause I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I'm at a point now where I'd some of your guys' input on the overall tone of the OT. Would y'all prefer something that's straight forward and by the numbers or something that's more tongue in cheek and silly or even a mix of the two. I know it's still early to think about but I want to make sure I make the best OT for you and all the new people we'll get next year.

hwalker84

So I've started laying down some of the groundwork for the S3 OT cause I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I'm at a point now where I'd some of your guys' input on the overall tone of the OT. Would y'all prefer something that's straight forward and by the numbers or something that's more tongue in cheek and silly or even a mix of the two. I know it's still early to think about but I want to make sure I make the best OT for you and all the new people we'll get next year.

Mix of the two.

bumpkin

In short, no. There's no point if they just homogenize it to be like every other fighter out there. I like that it's got its own ebb and flow, and sure, landing breakers is a "guessing game", but if that's people's main complaint, play something else. At least you have a chance to break a combo; you leave yourself open to a punish in Street Fighter and you're eating the entire combo, period.

I like it the way it is. Leave it alone. And I'm saying this as someone who can't hold his own against "top" players in KI. I enjoy that it's different than the rest of the pack.

Doukou

By the numbers but the numbers are cheeky.

.la1n

Guys how do think they should change the Breaker system?

They won't abandon it so the best solution in my opinion is at least make a breaker a true reset to neutral. Combo breaker, shadow cancel into punish should not be a thing. Your being punished for opening the opponent up? Makes no sense.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I don't know, but they've got to do something..like I said earlier combo breakers happen way too often, the game has devolved into short combos and 50/50 manual guess breaking. Being forced into only two manual options after your linker encourages your opponent to guess.

They won't abandon it so the best solution in my opinion is at least make a breaker a true reset to neutral. Combo breaker, shadow cancel into punish should not be a thing. Your being punished for opening the opponent up? Makes no sense.
This too.

I was of the opinion that changing the Breaker system would require drastic changes to the game itself, but I'm with .la1n in that a combo breaker should just reset both characters into a neutral state.

Like, exactly what a throw break does. Have the animation for combo breakers be throw break animations.

Breakers being tied to some kind of meter could work, but I'm not really feeling the idea of it. I don't really have any good ideas on how a "Breaker Meter" could work.

hmm, I really love the game flow of KI. You're constantly making big decisions, but always have an escape if you fuck up, but definitely agree that length combos aren't encouraged....

not sure if another meter to keep track of is in the answer, but I think I like the neutral state idea.

The Flash

Banned
Born into a venerable and aristocratic German family, Baron Konrad von Sabrewulf was a well-educated but idle man, prone to addiction and vice. After inheriting the family’s castle from his ailing parents, he discovered a secret chamber and laboratory holding the relics of the Night Guard: an ancient order dedicated to the hunting of nefarious monsters. The Sabrewulf clan, Konrad gleaned from family lore, was responsible for wiping out the werewolves across most of Europe.

Drunkenly fumbling through the hidden archives one day, he accidentally cut himself on one of the family’s many trophies: A mounted claw of a giant wolf. Unknown to Konrad at the time, the paw was from a werewolf, its power to pass on the curse still dormant within the severed limb.

On the next full moon, Konrad transformed into a deranged werewolf, becoming one of the very beasts that his family hunted for generations. Still addicted to various drugs, but now with the power and rage of a feral beast inside him, Sabre destroyed most of his own castle, driving his servants away and isolating himself within the half-ruined estate.

On returning to human form, Konrad discovered that any hope of a cure had been obliterated by his own fits of rage and destruction. Desperately, he pieced together the remnants of his family’s work and began experimenting on himself, trying to break the curse and return him to normalcy. This drove him further and further into heavy opiate use, fits of rage, and madness. He became more wolf than man.

As the rumors of a dark creature spread beyond the isolated villages near his estate, Ultratech took notice. Lured from his home with the promise of a scientific cure, Ultratech experimented on and attempted to weaponize Sabrewulf, replacing his arms with cybernetics and extending his transformations until the cycle was reversed; the man barely materialized, the beast ran wild.

Breaking free of Ultratech’s control after being thrown into an early Killer Instinct tournament, Sabrewulf returned to his castle, ripped the cybernetics from his body, and regenerated through the use of potions and arcane sciences gleaned from decades of study, and the remaining relics his family held in such high regard.

For a time he gained control of his lycanthropy, but the lure of the wolf haunted him and drew him back again like an addiction. The monster still remained and his ability to revert to human form was short-lived. Sabrewulf knows that unless he can find a more permanent solution, his agony will continue, and he will be cut off from the world and any hope of being a man again.

Having spent much time at the mercy of his wild side, Sabrewulf has learned that being a predator is often as much about patience as it is power. He is learning new ways to pounce on and surprise his many enemies.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/the-lycanthropes-tale/

Doukou

It's nice to see how the backstories are connecting.

New ways to pounce? I would guess that means something changing with his pounce move or maybe a new move.

.la1n

Maybe an option to delay pounce or hold the stance. I don't expect anything too crazy for new moves, they seem pretty content with the season 1 cast.

The parts of characters I say need a revisit are Riptor's instinct, TJ's advantage ender, and Thunder's extra move that's never found a good use. Riptor's instinct being useless is self explanatory. TJ has numerous options that are ALWAYS better than using advantage ender (and it comes out on accident far too often just trying to do standard linkers.) I don't know what to do with Thunder, it's current iteration is at least useful but good luck finding opportune times to use it.

I'd also argue that Jago's healing, as neat as it is, always ends up just being the same combo setup to heal. It was actually more interesting when you had to be offensive to gain health. No idea why they didn't just cut healing between rounds and call it a day. Sabrewulf had no good reason for getting feral cancel, I would need Keits to explain that thought process to me because I am at a loss.

Without the combo system, it's pretty much just Street Fighter.

I like the combo system, even if I suck at it. I say leave it as is. It's KI's identity.

And for the point about longer combos are boring to watch on twitch etc, what's exciting to watch shouldn't matter at all. Gameplay is whats important.

Make the game for, you know, the people who actually play it

.la1n

No problem with extending combo length personally but I'm an old Marvel player. I don't see any reason why there can't be discussion about making adjustments to the combo system to make it a bit less random guesses for most people.

vg260

https://twitter.com/kranged/status/656971063289581568

Going to hold out a glimmer of hope we might get some Halloween themed accessories. I don't think Shadow Jago will be a part of it.

I kinda gave up hope on extra alts even though Halloween alts would be perfect. Feels like a missed opportunity. Not a big fan of just having new accessories though like those holiday ones. I prefer a whole new costume route, even if it doesn't have alternate parts.

Top Bottom