• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Shago looks damn good, that said..

No Ultimates for anyone else is REALLY lame. Also how can they seriously not update the HUD graphics for S3??? They look dated as hell at this point, and no I don't give a flying fuck that we get a few new text indicators...yay.

I'll still hold out hope that maybe we'll get some of this stuff mid season but probably not.

-_-

Yea I really feel like the UI could be much better, and I still prefer the look of the original UI compared to the season 2 look. At the very least I hope they improve performance at the character select screen.

Bought myself an Xbox One
my £250 Killer Instinct Machine
and KI Series 1 and 2 the other day. I've played a lot of fighters but I've never been particularly amazing at them, especially when it comes down to multiplayer and high level play. I'm going to be mainly playing with my buddy who's been playing for about a year, and from the matches I've played with him he's pretty good. Looking forward to learning more about the game and hopefully managing to hold my own in a proper match.

Kalentan

How active is the playerbase? I managed to get some matches last night but today I haven't found anyone. D:

Edit: Seems to be fixed now that I restarted.

How do I combo break effectively? I've done it before but sometimes people just do the same attacks over and over and all I can do is just sit there as it constantly locks me out.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
How active is the playerbase? I managed to get some matches last night but today I haven't found anyone. D:

Edit: Seems to be fixed now that I restarted.

How do I combo break effectively? I've done it before but sometimes people just do the same attacks over and over and all I can do is just sit there as it constantly locks me out.
Go into Dojo mode, there's an entire combo breaker training section.

Kalentan

Go into Dojo mode, there's an entire combo breaker training section.

I'm in there now... and I see the button prompts but they do nothing.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Also do ranks work in online? Cause it seems like qualifiers are on a waaaaaaay higher skill level then myself. You would think Qualifiers being the starting rank... That they should be on a more lower skill level.

.la1n

I'm in there now... and I see the button prompts but they do nothing.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Also do ranks work in online? Cause it seems like qualifiers are on a waaaaaaay higher skill level then myself. You would think Qualifiers being the starting rank... That they should be on a more lower skill level.

In qualifiers they match you with players of varying skill levels to determine your starting bracket.

Kalentan

In qualifiers they match you with players of varying skill levels to determine your starting bracket.

Oh. But I make sure to only matchmake with other qualifiers... How many matches do I need to get 'planted' into a bracket.

Wait... I've been playing Exhibition... Should I play ranked, get placed and then go back to Exhibition?

Edit: Man fuck this game. I just had a guy who just kept using his fucking fire attack as Raptor and NO combobreaker moves worked. I tried every combination and it never works. Lockout is such bullshit. In the Dojo it works just fine, but then you go into online and it's like RNG.

hwalker84

Oh. But I make sure to only matchmake with other qualifiers... How many matches do I need to get 'planted' into a bracket.

Wait... I've been playing Exhibition... Should I play ranked, get placed and then go back to Exhibition?

Edit: Man fuck this game. I just had a guy who just kept using his fucking fire attack as Raptor and NO combobreaker moves worked. I tried every combination and it never works. Lockout is such bullshit. In the Dojo it works just fine, but then you go into online and it's like RNG.
LOL. Practice my friend practice.

Doukou

Yah I got it, Shago is really fun and the UI is a lot better than I thought, though I don't like the glowing bits a bit distracting at first.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Love it. Shago is fun as hell and my new Elite Controller D-Pad helps a ton (fewer blisters too!)

Can't wait for some more Season 3 Tease. Need to know more then Rash, Kim Wu and Tusk!

Shadow Jago is just not my type of character, though I was never a fan of Jago either so it's not all that surprising.

Also never thought I'd miss Laser Sword so much.

Edit: Oh wow, he doesn't have a single accessory. That's a bit...interesting.

His openers have to be among the worst in the cast.

Also apparently several of his achievements are bugged so I'm not sure if I'll even bother with the ranked wins and 200 matches.

Edit: Nevermind looks they unlocked now. Must have just been a sync issue although they didn't say "Done...Unlocking."

dankir

OMG everything he does is super unsafe, pretty risky. One move that's really nuts is his surge HK slide that goes in front and then teleports behind you. Really hard to catch.

Also is the Ultimate ender achievement bugged? I did it to a friend and it didn't unlock, ah well I'll try again later.

I like the new UI, the lock out timer is pretty useful.

Is the rest of the cast getting Surge or is that unique to Shago?

tapedeck

The combo potential for Shago seems really strong, having a lot of fun so far.

Having a ton of fun with him, feels kinda weird though since I'm so used to using Laser Sword as a linker and him not having it anymore. His new moves are really fun but unsafe as hell but I can already tell that he has really crazy combos.....dem juggles. I noticed that he doesn't have a wall splat(I think?) but I guess that's why he has his stagger mechanic even though it's pretty unsafe(the divekick) to use a lot. Also wow, you really have to pay attention to his meter huh? You can use it all up before you know it because of Surge lol. I await to see how the pros use him :D.

vg260

Patiently waiting for a 2x XP weekend to level him up. Hopefully over Christmas.

I'm curious to see if having paid boosters drastically descreases the frequency.

I do wonder through if you use a booster on a double XP weekend if they stack to give you 4x. Now, that might be tempting.

.la1n

Patiently waiting for a 2x XP weekend to level him up. Hopefully over Christmas.

I'm curious to see if having paid boosters drastically descreases the frequency.

I do wonder through if you use a booster on a double XP weekend if they stack to give you 4x. Now, that might be tempting.

I hope the team thought of that because otherwise your going to have a lot of angry peole who bought boosters that did nothing during double XP weekends.

For whatever reason, I have a hell of a time trying to do the dragon punch motion for an ultra. I can do it fine as an ender in a combo but when it comes time to do it for an ultra it seems like Shendokuken always comes out.

vg260

I hope the team thought of that because otherwise your going to have a lot of angry peole who bought boosters that did nothing during double XP weekends.

Yeah, It really should stack as straight multipliers to give 4x, but it sounds like something else. From their forum:
They stack, but we will go a little more in depth on just how they stack at a later time!
They better not be trying to scale them back somehow to less than 4x. If you pay money to get double the current rate, you should get exactly that at least.

.la1n

For whatever reason, I have a hell of a time trying to do the dragon punch motion for an ultra. I can do it fine as an ender in a combo but when it comes time to do it for an ultra it seems like Shendokuken always comes out.

Yeah it seems more difficult with Shago to for some odd reason but could just be me. I wish they had made his ultimate fireball back because fireball forward throw gives fireball ender too often. Fucking amazingly fun character though.

I also wasn't sure about the new GUI elements but having put in a good amount of time I can say I love their inclusion. I can play much smarter and it makes watching matches more enjoyable than it already was. Good shit. Now just update the rest of it, even if just a little bit. Tired of looking at the same thing.

AND FIX SABREWULFS STAGE, it makes my eyes bleed every time someone picks it.

tapedeck

Ok after a couple days of diving in I feel comfortable saying Shago is the most fun to play character in the game. Hes definitely pumped some much needed new life into KI before S3. I'm actually glad he doesn't have any accessories too because his visual design is perfect as is and a lot of the accessories end up looking shit.

This too, come on IG..

Synth

Yeah, It really should stack as straight multipliers to give 4x, but it sounds like something else. From their forum:

They better not be trying to scale them back somehow to less than 4x. If you pay money to get double the current rate, you should get exactly that at least.

Watch it be 3x. I've already got the dodgy theoretical math worked out for the explanation. You stack the XP bonus given by each multiplier (+1) but not the base amount. So you get 1 (Base) + 1 (XP Weekend) + 1 (XP Boost). 3x.

bumpkin

Yeah it seems more difficult with Shago to for some odd reason but could just be me. I wish they had made his ultimate fireball back because fireball forward throw gives fireball ender too often. Fucking amazingly fun character though.

I also wasn't sure about the new GUI elements but having put in a good amount of time I can say I love their inclusion. I can play much smarter and it makes watching matches more enjoyable than it already was. Good shit. Now just update the rest of it, even if just a little bit. Tired of looking at the same thing.

What's wrong with his stage? I haven't played KI in a little while.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@celldweller

Recording choirs in Bulgaria today w Atlas Plug for our Killer Instinct Season 3 score. HUGE! //_^) #choir #video #game #killer #instinct

After the Rash theme in pretty excited for the new blood on the music. Mick will be missed but I don't see the quality dipping too much, if at all.

Also I know Iron Galaxy people read this thread now and then. Shadow Jago revenue should contribute to tournament prize pots again. Help keep this game alive for another year at least! I don't go to tourneys and am no where near that level but I would buy Shago again just to support this game. Im usually a stingy cunt, but I have no problem supporting this game and the developers for the great work they're doing.

Killer instinct really shouldn't be still in the tournament scene, I mean that solely by the fact the Xbox One exclusivity should've killed it by now. The quality of work put in and the community has kept this thing alive, let's keep the momentum running through 2016.

I think it would be a huge disservice to the community not to add to the community fund again. Or perhaps explore other ways to contribute. More accessories for money or something. Hopefully the previous Shago sale showed the team just how willing the community is to keep this game alive

histopher

Sorry to bring this up but is there any news on when this is coming to PC? Or any upcoming events where we can expect an announcement?

.la1n

Sorry to bring this up but is there any news on when this is coming to PC? Or any upcoming events where we can expect an announcement?

KI World Cup end of January is safest bet for season 3 news. Still expected to drop March 2016 for both PC and Xbox One.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
After watching enough videos and high level play of shago... i think shadow jago should either have his instinct grab removed or the chained effects as a constant. Maybe even both.

The amount of times i have seen people use his chaining through countless hours of watching matches? Zero.

The risk:value proposition is so one sided.

rrc1594

I'm really hyped for KI Cup I wish it was Top 32 and not 16

Top 16 is looking really good

UA | Bass
Steam Co. CD Jr
UA | MyGod 88
UA | Paul B
MOR Rico Suave
F3|HollywoodSleep
LCD
Steeeeeve
Kappy