• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Synth

¡HarlequinPanic!;191409249 said:
The fact that they've done the work they've already done on the character designs of the old game should speak for itself, friend.

Yea, but everyone else actually were salvageable (or were just awesome in the first place). If Eyedol is too, then they probably would have what it takes. I'm just not convinced he is to begin with, and salvaging him basically amounts to "create a completely different character, and call that character Eyedol".

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always find the hate for Eyedol to feel as if it's laid on kinda extra-thick, but he really isn't anything great compared to other fighter bosses. Other than Gargos (who could be improved too), I'd actually like to see an even more Ultimate threat in S3, really. Imagine the weird bio-mechanical or Lovecraftian nightmares that could be proper KI bosses...

Is there any feeling in all of gaming better than landing a counter breaker?

Yes. Landing several back to back. It's the best.

Since Street Fighter lowered the "Oomph" of a well-timed Dragon Punch with the Mash-happy shortcut motion crap from SFIV series, well-timed counter breakers might have taken their place for me.

Though I'm a bit more partial to "well-placed command throws out of nowhere" in KoF! :) Or a perfectly timed instant-air V-Slasher from Leona.

Eyedol could be completely reimagined though. Whole new fighting style, new appearance etc.

It would still be Killer instinct genetics but a new character all the same. Plus it would mean all original characters are back in.

It will never happen, but it could be done.

All they really need to do is get rid of satyr legs on Eyedol. The two heads is what makes him, him. It's not like we've gotten proper retro costumes on others before.

The height could be between Glacius and Aganos, I imagine him with menacing slouched walk.

Yeah, that's how I feel.

Hopefully the Vampire character will be cool. Not confirmed, but certainly sounds like we'll see one.

The vampire character is happening without a doubt. I'm just hoping for it to be more like Kain (LoK) when it comes to design. I also very much look forward to it's retro outfit, to see what it would have looked like if it had made it into KI2.

ScribbleD

I never played any of the old KI. Aside from Eyedol and Tusk, who people have talked a lot about, who are some notable holdovers from the older KIs that have yet to appear in KI 2013? Anyone cool?

Edit: Oh, looks like just Eyedol missing with the Tusk announcement. Oh well, bring on the newcomers. I'd explode if they come up with another character as awesome as Hisako.

hwalker84

I never played any of the old KI. Aside from Eyedol and Tusk, who people have talked a lot about, who are some notable holdovers from the older KIs that have yet to appear in KI 2013? Anyone cool?

Edit: Oh, looks like just Eyedol missing with the Tusk announcement. Oh well, bring on the newcomers. I'd explode if they come up with another character as awesome as Hisako.

Characters left:
Kim Wu
Tusk
Gargos
Eyedol

Sorta:
Vampire (Cut character)
Blonde B Orchid

Doukou

Go mecha King Ghidorah on Eyedol and make his other head a robot and his legs robotic
His story could be that Ultra tech found a a destroyed corpse and rebuilt him.

Go mecha King Ghidorah on Eyedol and make his other head a robot and his legs robotic
His story could be that Ultra tech found a a destroyed corpse and rebuilt him.

I wouldn't be mad one bit.

I want that Snail character. Molluscus or something?

Mollusca

BMyp3aUCYAAaiIXjpglarge_zps99db0447.jpg

ScribbleD

Need some advice from Hisako players on enders: is there any reason to use ORZ over Influence or Possession? Also, is the damage from ending with Possession ever worth losing the hard knockdown from Influence in any situation other than closing out a round vs. an opponent who would only have a sliver of health left?

Need some advice from Hisako players on enders: is there any reason to use ORZ over Influence or Possession? Also, is the damage from ending with Possession ever worth losing the hard knockdown from Influence in any situation other than closing out a round vs. an opponent who would only have a sliver of health left?

Reading this surprised me a bit because Influence ender is probably my least used. I never felt like Hisako's setups/mixups were good enough to warrant passing on the damage from Possession, except maybe after shorter combos/lower ender levels or if you're really low on wrath meter.

I'll use ORZ ender for wall splat into Influence grab occasionally if I'm on a lower ender level too. It's also insanely good if you wall splat, pop Instinct then do Influence grab into another combo.

But yeah, more often than not I'm shooting for level 4 Possession ender with the help of shadow ORZ during combos. Though I'm curious to know what setups your using off Influence ender.

stn

What's the easiest way to grind for accessories and colors? Also, can I pretend I'm playing Street Fighter when I play this? I don't have too much gaming time these days to go deep into another fighter, yet I want to enjoy KI nonetheless.

I was thinking to use footsies to gain an opening, then just start mashing linkers and supers for max damage. I always have a solid ground game in any fighter, I'm just missing the system-specific things in this case. Would this game plan work at all?

Note: I've played KI for probably 5-8 hours in total, just never went online. I *think* I know how its meant to be played but I'm probably off base.

What's the easiest way to grind for accessories and colors? Also, can I pretend I'm playing Street Fighter when I play this? I don't have too much gaming time these days to go deep into another fighter, yet I want to enjoy KI nonetheless.

I was thinking to use footsies to gain an opening, then just start mashing linkers and supers for max damage. I always have a solid ground game in any fighter, I'm just missing the system-specific things in this case. Would this game plan work at all?

Note: I've played KI for probably 5-8 hours in total, just never went online. I *think* I know how its meant to be played but I'm probably off base.

Footsies in KI are very much like Street Fighter. The big difference, is that successful footsies can lead to a combo attempt. Footsies by themselves don't do a whole lot of damage, it's the combos that lead to big damage in KI. Hence why so many characters can start combo conversions off of their successful footsies.

vg260

That snail character is disgusting. I will literally have to quit playing if anything like that is in the game.

also, people were saying Eyedol is bad? Look at this thing.

VariantX

Guess I'll be playing this come march if my PC can handle it. I havent had an active Xbox live account for at least 2 years and I was offered a free month of XBL when I decided to boot up my XBOX 360 out of the blue and play some halo 3 campaign. Jumped on it and went to see if i could Claim GWG games on a free month and it totally let me get it. Now all that is left is for me to wait until march and take full advantage of the cross buy feature.

Sydle

This is probably of interest to you as you explore the game: A KI Guide for SFIV Players

Bat!
Is that you on the picture?

Indeed it is. I can't believe I am buying two AAA games in March. :p

It would be really great if Microsoft would use that snail design in KI, assuming they have the rights to. Not much of a fan of the other design, though...

Naa.
Yeah, it's me. Lol

You're getting SFV a month later? :V but seriously though, I've been looking forward to it. No more complications.

I'm sure they could easily use the design if they wanted to, Bayliss seems like a really cool guy. I mean, he holds KI close to his heart that's for sure.

inb4 community fund mollusca

Dr. Buni

Naa.
Yeah, it's me. Lol

You're getting SFV a month later? :V but seriously though, I've been looking forward to it. No more complications.

I'm sure they could easily use the design if they wanted to, Bayliss seems like a really cool guy. I mean, he holds KI close to his heart that's for sure.

inb4 community fund mollusca
Hah! You are cute.

Not really, I am buying Dark Souls 3. When it comes to fighters, I will stick with Killer Instinct (and Smash every now and then). Who do you play in KI btw?

Yes please.

Hah! You are cute.

Not really, I am buying Dark Souls 3. When it comes to fighters, I will stick with Killer Instinct (and Smash every now and then). Who do you play in KI btw?

Yes please.

Thank you. :p

Ooh, well then. I'll probably end up getting that game as well when the opportunity comes by. But the characters I use in KI are: Thunder, Sadira, Maya and Spinal.

I still need to properly learn some of the characters, like Hisako.

OMG Killer Instinct Cup is this month been waiting for this. Who is making the thread?

Hell yeah! I can't to meet some gaffers at the event as well.

Skab

I always liked Mollusca. I remember when Mick put up a teaser titled "Unibranchiate" on Vine, and I was completely convinced it was going to be for Mollusca.

Would actually be pretty happy if he showed up in KI some day.

Then again, I'm also one of those people that wants Blanka in SF5, soooo

Edit: You know, that is one thing (besides his music, of course.) I really miss with Mick being gone. The Vine teasers were fun :[

ElTopo

Banned
This wait is killing me. Any good Thunder and TJ Combo tutorials? Those are the two characters I'm most excited about and will use.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Was I just called edgy by someone with a Shadow Jago avatar? And yes, yes, he does.
Might want to investigate what 'edgy' means in an Internet forum setting.

Its ok though there's literally dozens of people who think Eyedol is a great character design!

Never saw the snail/voodoo doll character concepts but they are pretty cool, especially Mollusca. I can see it looking pretty neat visual wise with all it's slime dripping everywhere and leaving trails where ever it goes. The slime itself could be used for added mobility and such, maybe he could wall hang like Strider that could cancel into some different special moves(Gooey Blanka ball lol?), different slime traps, projectiles that slow character.....basically it's a really neat concept that could be really damn cool imo.

Also I don't get the Eyedol hate and I didn't know soo much people hated him till now lol. I mean sure I absolutely hated that mofo's cheap lame ass Elena tactics but I thought he was a neat boss that fits KI's trope theme very well. If anything, I liked to see him back with Gargos as the main story boss and Eyedol as a hidden boss.

ScribbleD

Weren't there tons of bad or boring character designs in the original KIs that were updated to be at least half-decent? Spinal, for example?

Oh yeah, you like grapplers don't you? Hopefully another comes your way in Season 3.

I forgot to mention, but Rash/Kim Wu are definitely on my list as well.

-------

Just a random thought I had, what if a character didn't have auto-doubles? Like their trait was to have single hits, at the speed of medium attacks or something. :V

Doukou

I'm not sure how well that would work to be honest, it would be a case of TJ's initial auto barrage.
The intended purpose of an auto double is that you see the first hit and react on the second hit, which is why TJ's was so hard since you had to react on the first hit. The concept of a single hit would need some other balance to make it so that they aren't so much harder to break. Maybe develop it around it, the character has an auto single which means on average they do less damage and build up less on all the bars, maybe have it so that the relationship between linker and autos are not independent like everyone else but the auto single influences which linkers you could use. Or maybe expand on TJ's new barrage concept and make it so that the character has a fast auto single and linkers but instead can only use an auto single of one strength(resetting on counter break) which makes the third auto single a good counter bait game.

Either way I think just slapping auto single on someone would be just to op by itself, we saw with TJ how well people reacted to just one single and while it would be easier with required linkers I still think it would be to OP.

Hey folks going to Pax South or KI Cup, a preview of Season 3 will be playable there. I don't know what that means, but Keits tweeted it. Ya'll better keep us updated

Like I said, it was just a random thought. I've been wanting to discuss anything about KI. :p

But yeah, I had forgotten about the auto-barrage on TJ Combo. Wasn't one of the problems with it, was that the hits look very similar to each other?

I could see less damage output being a thing if that were to be some trait for a character. My thought was just to make the single slow, kind of like Aganos, obviously without the second hit.

I dunno, like I said, just a thought.

Hey folks going to Pax South or KI Cup, a preview of Season 3 will be playable there. I don't know what that means, but Keits tweeted it. Ya'll better keep us updated

Whaaaaaat. That makes the trip even more exciting! Yes! :)

Top Bottom