• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

I'd love to see them try such things more often. Like... even re-record the voice work, like Shago had.

Yeah, but I really hope he'll be a Vampire first... additional details second. Unless he's SOTN Alucard-like. Then he can be everything all at once, and will probably be the best character in the game... *ahem*

I had forgotten, but basically what TJ's retro was like where he had 70's, 80's and 90's attire. What would you want exactly on re-recorded voice work?

Just make him a vampire and a warlock, knocking two tropes out. :p A vampire with the knowledge of the dark arts. We need the best vampire possible.

They should have other classic vampire abilities such as telekinesis and super speed.

As long as vaporization/misting is in.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I tried the game back then when it released on Xbox One. I'm a casual in fighting games and I didn't have a lot of fun then mashing the combos with the directional inputs. Now that the Ultimate got available via GwG I thought that I'd give it another try. First surprise: "Combo Assist". This is a game changer. I played it a lot this weekend and had much fun with Sabrewulf creating great combos with button presses only.

Quick question: "Overwhelm" attack from Sabrewulf. How does this one work?

I tried the game back then when it released on Xbox One. I'm a casual in fighting games and I didn't have a lot of fun then mashing the combos with the directional inputs. Now that the Ultimate got available via GwG I thought that I'd give it another try. First surprise: "Combo Assist". This is a game changer. I played it a lot this weekend and had much fun with Sabrewulf creating great combos with button presses only.

edit: oh overwhelm is just hitting light - medium - heavy punch in succession as an opener. I think it's unbreakable?

I can't play Wulf to save my life but to my knowledge it's just a simple combo that's easy to execute just by tapping light to heavy in sequence, unless you're talking about Overpower (Bhk) which can be charged and at full charge is unblockable. It's been posted a million times already but if you're looking to learn a bit more about characters or mechanics in general this site is a fantastic resource.
http://ki.infil.net/sabrewulf.html

Female vampire dressed like a cliche Dracula with a cape and all that would be really cool as well, even if it an alt costume. There's just so many different things they could do.
Edit: I just thought of something I really really shouldn't have because there is .000000001% of a chance of it actually happening but if it did it would be the coolest thing for the other guest character to be either Dante or Vergil from Devil May Cry. Two characters literally built around long combos and being stylish.

TheKeyPit

Banned
edit: oh overwhelm is just hitting light - medium - heavy punch in succession as an opener. I think it's unbreakable?

I can't play Wulf to save my life but to my knowledge it's just a simple combo that's easy to execute just by tapping light to heavy in sequence, unless you're talking about Overpower (Bhk) which can be charged and at full charge is unblockable. It's been posted a million times already but if you're looking to learn a bit more about characters or mechanics in general this site is a fantastic resource.
http://ki.infil.net/sabrewulf.html

I'm considering to buy Hisako, but I have no clue how she plays. Which season 1 character can be compared to her?

I'd love to try a character before buying. Why isn't this a thing?

.la1n

They rotate the free characters so that they are all available to play at one point or another.

Nobody in season 1 plays like Hisako to be honest except Orchid's rekka being similar.

Infil

Neo Member
Anyone else having trouble finding ranked matches right now? Just searches forever...

When this happens, you tend to have to hard-reset your Xbox (unplug it from the wall for 1 minute). It has something to do with cached files doing weird things, and a hard reset will wipe the cache.

Overwhelm is simply a target combo you perform in neutral (press LP, then MP, then HP quickly). If you start a combo with this, it's unbreakable, then you can cancel into an opener special move to begin a "real" combo. If you have combo assist on, you need to also HOLD BACK on the joystick while pressing the buttons (otherwise, LP -> MP -> HP will be interpreted as a combo assist string). If you don't have combo assist on, you don't need to hold back if you don't want to.

I'm considering to buy Hisako, but I have no clue how she plays. Which season 1 character can be compared to her?

She's a pretty unique fighter. She walks very, very slow but has very fast forward dashes, so she moves around in large chunks on the screen and can sneak up on you fast. She has this massive naginata spear thing that she swings in huge arcs that help her control space. She has a couple very good command grabs and she also has a "counter" special move; if your opponent attacks after you press 3 punches or 3 kicks, you get a combo. So if you're good at reading when the opponent wants to attack, you can turn defense into offense.

Her weaknesses are that she's pretty bad on defense (even with counter, which doesn't work on throws or projectiles) and because her walk speed is so slow it's sometimes hard to be at the right position to stop an opponent's approach.

You can learn more on my guide page: http://ki.infil.net/hisako.html

And here is some sample Hisako gameplay if you just want to see a bit about how she looks in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBCUFTHg_o

Maya's Backstory - Temperance and Vengeance

A member of a secretive and ancient clan of monster hunters called the Night Guard, Maya has lived her entire life with the knowledge that the world is a much scarier place than most will ever see. While humans believe themselves to have grown beyond childish boogeymen and creatures of myth, Maya and her order know that they indeed exist, and travel the globe to hunt and eliminate these threats as they attempt to prey on humanity.

Maya and her twin sister Mira grew up in the Guard’s timeworn citadel in the Andes—the only home they’d ever known. They listened with rapt attention to the stories of adventure and intrigue from the Guard’s members after they had returned from their missions. They learned that monsters wear many faces…sometimes even human ones.

Both girls loved the honeycomb of maze-like passages below the temples, and spent countless hours exploring them, much to the chagrin of their father and the rest of the order, who repeatedly warned them of the dangers of the many arcane items and antiquities kept deep in the dark places below the headquarters. Maya became fascinated by a certain set of golden daggers uncovered in the vaults after the destruction and immolation of the horror—the sorcerer Kan-Ra—who once ruled the Andean citadel.

When they were of appropriate age, the sisters apprenticed with other Night Guard members on hunts, eventually maturing into capable agents of the order. The young women worked well together, and Maya and Mira became one of the Guard’s best duos, travelling the world and hunting evil wherever it reared its many ugly heads.

While tracking down an age-old evil in vaults deep within the Siberian Mountains, Mira was forced to sacrifice herself to save her sister. In the days and years that followed Maya’s recovery from that mission, she became increasingly enraged at her failure to protect her beloved sister, resulting in poorly executed missions that exposed her and the Guard to the public. This carelessness eventually drew the attention of ARIA—the artificial mind running Ultratech.

Under ARIA’s orders (and led by the fiery plasma creature known as Cinder), an Ultratech army stormed the citadel to raid the Night Guard’s headquarters for its secrets. During this battle, the sorcerer Kan-Ra was accidentally released from a vault where he’d been imprisoned for centuries. Kan-Ra escaped with a collection of tomes documenting an ancient battle with an entity known as a “Shadow Lord.”

Maya, wielding the set of forbidden daggers, was the only order member to emerge from the conflict alive. Her order decimated and multiple evil forces freed once again, she set out to first recapture the sorcerer and bring Ultratech to justice for the murders of the Guard’s members.

Maya finally faced down Kan-Ra, defeating him and discovering his recent manipulations of dimensions through powerful portals. Peering into this other plane, Maya was touched by the Astral entities there, gaining insight into the nefarious plans of a malevolent being called Gargos…but with no clear idea as to how this mighty creature could be thwarted.

She then recruited a number of the heroes in order to plan how best to act against these two growing threats when Ultratech attacked yet again, bent on wiping out the heroes before they could move against the sinister megacorporation. But right before killing Maya and her comrades ARIA withdrew her forces as a new and potentially apocalyptic threat suddenly appeared on the Earth—a demonic force led by Gargos: the master of the Shadow Lords.

In the few moments during which Maya is separated from her golden daggers Temperance and Vengeance, a perhaps clearer mind forces her to wonder if she is gaining mastery over their magicks, or if the magicks are gaining mastery over her. Is she losing access to the daggers’ most powerful techniques, or are those techniques transforming into something greater?

I like the idea of Maya being a twin, it's pretty interesting. Actually made me think of the whole Shadow Maya thing, if they instead brought Mira back to life.

Also, I guess we have a hint as to what's to come regarding new playable characters? With Gargos approaching with his demonic force the Shadow Lords. Maybe?

Skab

Haven't they said in the past that one of the Season 3 characters will be the sibling of a Season 2 character?

And then they go and give Maya's a sister and specifically name her. Hm.

Sydle

Haven't they said in the past that one of the Season 3 characters will be the sibling of a Season 2 character?

And then they go and give Maya's a sister and specifically name her. Hm.

I think Isgreen said it wasn't a sibling of Maya. IIRC he also said it wasn't TJ's either.

My thoughts are Cinder.

Thunders brother Eagle has a half native half cyborg/Fulgore character. Book it!

Isgreen specified a S2 character sibling.

Got a question here, I bought Kan Ra and TJ combo separate. Now I'm thinking of getting the Combo Breaker pack for season 2
(didn't think season 1 ultra was worth it).

Does this mean I'm gonna basically but those 2 characters twice?

Skab

Thunders brother Eagle has a half native half cyborg/Fulgore character. Book it!

Pretty sure all that's left of Eagle is his brain inside Fulgore.

I think Isgreen said it wasn't a sibling of Maya. IIRC he also said it wasn't TJ's either.

My thoughts are Cinder.

Isgreen specified a S2 character sibling.

Oh. In that case it is 100% going to be Riptor. Calling it now.

I mean, if they do stick with adding a character who's a sibling to another.. I can only see:

Cinder
Maya (Mira; deceased)
TJ Combo

I want to learn more about these Shadow Lords.

Riptor sibling... This needs to happen. Would her sibling be a human-something mutant as well? Maybe a human-bat? :p

Underworld-evolution-Marcus-Hybrid.jpg

Or

Detective-Comics-023.4-(2013)-(Digital)-(Nahga-Empire)-01.jpg

Skab

Sibling should be Eagle hands down.

Said it was the sibling of a season 2 character.

It's gonna be CJ Combo

Edit: nevermind, it's totally gonna be zombie Mira

They (according to Sydie above) already said it wasn't TJ's or Maya's.

Riptor sibling... This needs to happen. Would her sibling be a human-something mutant as well? Maybe a human-bat? :p

The only answer is for it to be another dinosaur breed.

Make it her "brother" and make it a Triceratops.

Basically give me a TMNT Triceraton.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
also seems like a lot of changes are still happening with projectiles

i wonder what kind of systems are going to be employed that necessitate these changes

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I had forgotten, but basically what TJ's retro was like where he had 70's, 80's and 90's attire. What would you want exactly on re-recorded voice work?
I'd like to see Either Classic and Retro with different voices (Since the voices don't always fit each aesthetic), or with a least a few re-recorded / voice modulated lines to enhance the fact that some of them almost look like brand new characters.

For the Vampire example, if he was younger in the modern look, and old and traditional in the classic one, why not make a story out of it? He could have lines that reference his desires for power in one look, and others that are tired, and have learned the cost of power, in the other.

If we're not going to get Character-specific victory or entry lines, why not Retro / Modern Win poses? Classic Cinder could say gibberish liquidy sounds for his victory pose, new could keep the same line he has now.

It's just always odd to me how limited some things in modern fighters are. I can understand not every game wasn't a different win pose per matchup in like 30+ character cast... but why not at least a few different voice lines, or alt camera views of the same poses?

Just make him a vampire and a warlock, knocking two tropes out. :p A vampire with the knowledge of the dark arts. We need the best vampire possible.

As long as vaporization/misting is in.

eternalchampions_xavier.gif
+PLUS+
cae6a3e15296d09ba2a622c9977c76ae.jpg
??

OKAY!

Cinder's sister, made of water.

It doesn't have to make sense.

I'll take it! There's not enough water users in games. Flowing liquid effects should be beautiful if done right.

I mean, if they do stick with adding a character who's a sibling to another.. I can only see:

Cinder
Maya (Mira; deceased)
TJ Combo

I want to learn more about these Shadow Lords.

Maybe one of the newcomers to S2 looks a lot like Maya's sister, and mistaken identity is a bit part of her S3 motivations?

The only answer is for it to be another dinosaur breed.

Make it her "brother" and make it a Triceratops.

Basically give me a TMNT Triceraton.

I used to have an action figure of a Triceraton. MAKE IT SO! It always seems weird to me that ultratech gives up on each type of creature after making only one. At least Fulgore / ARIA showed they advance in what they create, rather than just stop, toss it all out, and then make some other crazy combatant.

ScribbleD

They rotate the free characters so that they are all available to play at one point or another.

Nobody in season 1 plays like Hisako to be honest except Orchid's rekka being similar.

It's because she's got such a wide open arsenal of tools. She reminds me of a much scarier Makoto.

Yeah, I have to go on the first day for sure. My girlfriend would be coming with me and she'd love to see the art tribute and cosplay contest, being an artist/cosplayer herself.

I wonder if there will be a Maya? It's her favorite character, she absolutely loves the redesign, hah.

.la1n

Yeah, I have to go on the first day for sure. My girlfriend would be coming with me and she'd love to see the art tribute and cosplay contest, being an artist/cosplayer herself.

I wonder if there will be a Maya? It's her favorite character, she absolutely loves the redesign, hah.

I would be willing to bet there will be a Maya, probably more than one.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
God I wish I could go, event sounds like it's gonna be amazing. Can't wait to see all the new S3 stuff.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, what did the 49MB patch change?

---------

If someone had told me last week that I'd enjoy Killer Instinct that much I'd call him crazy. I've already mentioned it in a post, but Combo Assist made this game that much more fun to me.

I started to play Ranked League the other day and had my fears, but I'm doing good. I'm currently sitting in the Silver League with a 5 Win Streak.

-------

Did gaf ever meet in the game's lobbies?

Top Bottom