• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Only got Kan-Ra (who I'm going through now), Riptor, Aganos, ARIA, Hisako and Cinder left for my remaining achievements, which are:

150 fight titles for all of the above
200 matches for all of the above.

Then I'm set for Season 3. 200 matches was a really stupid decision though. 100 matches would have been perfect. At 200 matches you're simply asking your players to grind for the sake of grinding. At 100 matches, you'd achieve it more naturally.

20 ranked wins, plus another 10-20 losses trying to get the wins
10 Survivals
7 or so for Story mode. There's nearly 60 matches already without being forced into a grind.

If Keits or anyone else from IG is reading, is there a chance people who own Season 1 and 2 will get some sort of discount on 3? I've already pumped close to $100AU into this game and at this stage with soooo many games coming early next year (including SFV), I'm tempted to hold off until a 50% off sale like Season 1 and 2 Ultras got.

Synth

Sorry for any condescending tone you may have read into my statements. That said, I'm not just a dev, I'm a 15+ year competitive fighting game player, and its hard for me to imagine that my opponent being able to complete the game's easiest combos would have any bearing at all on my ability to defeat them.

So when you suggest otherwise, I'm not sure how to explain to you that this doesn't add up.

*snip*

Thanks for this follow-up, it's definitely helped change my view somewhat on the mode's inclusion. I still kinda disagree with your view of how it affects players however. Whilst I'm personally not actually very good at the game, I definitely don't expect to be losing matches as a result of my opponent using combo assist. If a player legitimately needs this, then the odds that they have a general skill level sufficient to beat me is pretty tiny... however I do think this concern is still applicable to a lower skilled player, who is closer in skill to the combo assist user, but is more proficient in terms of dexterity. This player certainly could find themselves regularly on the losing end of a match they would have routinely won as a result of them having practiced their execution. To this player the remedy for this situation may actually be to also switch on the combo assist, to eliminate some of their remaining input failures that are costing them matches.

As someone that's not naturally skilled at fighters, I've had my fair share of "Eddy Gordo" moments in many of them, and believe that many games overlook the "middle tier" that exists between being completely useless at a fighting game, and becoming legitimately competitive... that period of time where they're beyond being a button masher, but still can't low parry to save their life (literally, lol). I understand though that this is something that you'd have more data on than my personal experiences... and seeing as it is unlikely to affect me in any direct manner, I guess I'm comfortable with its inclusion if the alternate is going to be that new players would be less likely to pick the game up.. especially considering the somewhat more familiar Street Fighter will be in the conversation around the time this game branches out.

EDIT: Also,anyone voting for Shadow Kim-Wu before we even know what normal Kim-Wu is like, deserves a slap.

.la1n

If Keits or anyone else from IG is reading, is there a chance people who own Season 1 and 2 will get some sort of discount on 3? I've already pumped close to $100AU into this game and at this stage with soooo many games coming early next year (including SFV), I'm tempted to hold off until a 50% off sale like Season 1 and 2 Ultras got.

PR at Microsoft is working on how to offer preorder incentives and incentives for current owners. Keits isn't involved in those conversations though.

So this is just pure speculation on my part but, would it be safe to say that we're getting more than 8 characters in season 3? It was slightly brought up in the interview and Adam sort of hesitated before saying "let's assume there's 8 characters in season 3" when they were talking about the new character select screen.

With season 2 having 9 characters I think they'll probably try to outdo that as well, especially with them doing multiple guest characters. I could even see them doing upwards of 12 although that might be a bit insane. I think at least 10 is going to happen though.

Kim Wu
Tusk
Gargos
Eyedol (I'm sold that he returns.)
Three New Characters
Rash + Two More Guest Characters

That would put the count at 10 and looking at the list it seems pretty feasible to me. I also don't think they'd do more than three guest characters so I think if the roster ends up going over 10 for the new season that they will all be new characters after that point.

Of course, like I said, it's just pure speculation and I'm not getting my hopes up for anything. It's just as likely that I'm looking way into all of this anyway.

I don't think we're getting Eyedol back.

I could see us getting one other guest with Rash.

I wonder would they do one more smaller season. Say 4 characters with Eyedol being one of them. Maybe anothet guest and 2 new characters. All depending on Season 3 being successful of course.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So this is just pure speculation on my part but, would it be safe to say that we're getting more than 8 characters in season 3? It was slightly brought up in the interview and Adam sort of hesitated before saying "let's assume there's 8 characters in season 3" when they were talking about the new character select screen.

With season 2 having 9 characters I think they'll probably try to outdo that as well, especially with them doing multiple guest characters. I could even see them doing upwards of 12 although that might be a bit insane. I think at least 10 is going to happen though.

Kim Wu
Tusk
Gargos
Eyedol (I'm sold that he returns.)
Three New Characters
Rash + Two More Guest Characters

That would put the count at 10 and looking at the list it seems pretty feasible to me. I also don't think they'd do more than three guest characters so I think if the roster ends up going over 10 for the new season that they will all be new characters after that point.

Of course, like I said, it's just pure speculation and I'm not getting my hopes up for anything. It's just as likely that I'm looking way into all of this anyway.

Adams recent interview points to Eyedol not returning. Harris will. I reckon they'll make him awesome.

dankir

I think Riptor will be getting reworked still.
She feels very weak compare to other characters and characters like Aganos and Aria who are also not that favorable offer a more rare style compare to all the other Rushdown characters.
Also her combo trait is kind of invalidated a bit with combo assist.

Jumping FP is still godlike. I think her instinct could be better though.

vg260

If you haven't listened to the actual interview with Adam Isgreen, and just read the bullet point summary, it's still definitely worthwhile if you're a fan of the game. Some interesting stuff about development and other stuff from a dev point of view and season 3 general philosophy the bullet list doesn't really capture:
http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/v/33268836
starts around 04:07

It's an exciting time right now for Killer Instinct fans, we're finally going to have a game that includes all of the non-boss characters, we're getting collectible figures new merch, and we have a pretty awesome dev team that cares about the game. Going back to the Xbox 360 I remember hoping that MAYBE Microsoft would release a new game and somehow we're about to have Killer Instinct with 25+ characters in 2016. Not to mention it's a pretty awesome game. Who would have thought?

Anyways here's what I would enjoy seeing for fixes/tweaks/additions for S3.

Character fixes
  • Season one classic costumes range from good (Spinal) to could be better (jago/glacius) to not very good (fulgore, wulf). It would be nice to see these touched up since they seem rushed.
  • Some characters could look better. Whether it be animations or lifeless eyes some small tweaks would go a long way. TJ and Maya's animations specifically as they seem janky to me. Orchid's eyes just kind of look weird. Compare them to the other female cast members and they just look off (at least to me)
  • Omen's mask should have be an accessory by default. I'm sure some people would call a faceless character lazy, but I think he would look more menacing without a face.
  • Riptors doesn't close her eyes when she's getting hit. She can blink, so I'm not sure if her not shutting her eyes was by design, or they just forgot to do it.

More unified/visually pleasing UI
This has been a gripe since day one. Killer Instinct's UI just is not very good. The menus and in-game UI look like two different games. The different typefaces (do not even get me started on the character name font....) are just not very good. I'd really appreciate a UI overhaul, but I doubt that will happen since resources are probably going elsewhere.

Head Tracking
This was in one of the builds of the game, but got taken out. I'm not sure if it strained the engine too much causing framerate issues or what, but I'd like to see it back in. Max has a video showing off sadira where you can see it (pay attention to the character heads)

Tournament Mode
This is something that I'm not sure many people would use, but I would! Killer Instinct Gold had a tournament option which I thought was pretty cool. Again this might be difficult to do, but I think it would be awesome with SmartGlass and something useful for people who host smaller tournaments at their homes/dorms.

KI2 Music in training mode
Not sure why this didn't come with season 2, but season 1 had it. Would be nice to choose from that music as well.

More stage Ultras...maybe some Knock offs?
Hearing "KNOCKOFF" after a character get's DP'd off a stage again would be amazing.

A real boss fight
ARIA is a great character, but Shago was a real boss fight. ARIA didn't so anything special that made her feel like a boss in the story, she was her regular self. I'm not saying lets do Eyedol levels of bullshit, but something more difficult would be nice.

"Turn off Blood" option
I remember people wanted more blood on the ground during that poll after E3, but honestly it doesn't fit with the game in it's current state. Yes this is a fighting game, but there's no gruesome fatalities like in MK. Would be nice to turn this off.

and last but not least

Ultimates
With Shadow Jago's proof of concept...man I would love some more. They're something flashy to end the match and Shagos looks so good. Please MS/IG, pretty please.

as a side I would love classic stages (like the sky stage) but those aren't really too important for me.

vg260

Yea I listened to it, that's why I made the list lol

its more of my own personal list

Haha. Yeah he did say to tell him what you want.

It does sound like there could very well be a UI upgrade, at least I hope so. I want a snappy select screen more than anything else UI-related.

Trailer probably at the end of the month but still, I really think we need more teases. A little more than 2 more months left to go and no visual/audio teases for about 4 months is no fun, especially to those who's played since S1. I wished they did small promos like in S2 where they showed a small image/Vine of a character or a sample of a characters theme like Mick did.......hell anything visually would do really. Also 2016 is freakin' huge for fighting games and with KI being the underdog as usual, they really need to step up promotions sooner than late January imho.

I would be pretty surprised if we got the full season 3 trailer at KI Cup. I'm thinking it'll probably be Kim Wu's trailer and then they'll do trailers for all the launch characters in the run up to launch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Trailer probably at the end of the month but still, I really think we need more teases. A little more than 2 more months left to go and no visual/audio teases for about 4 months is no fun, especially to those who's played since S1. I wished they did small promos like in S2 where they showed a small image/Vine of a character or a sample of a characters theme like Mick did.......hell anything visually would do really. Also 2016 is freakin' huge for fighting games and with KI being the underdog as usual, they really need to step up promotions sooner than late January imho.

While I'd love more teases, I am glad with how the teams still keep K.I. eelevant and active almoat conatantly.

• 1 xtra chara on sale for a dollar for weeks at a time.
  • S1ultra free in Jan.
  • Shago release.
  • Rash beta play.
  • Weeks of updated story trickle, with moveset update hints.
  • Constant use of a central Twitch channel from a variety of streamers.

The lack of new info right now seems an unfortunate side effect of getting more out of the gate at the start of S3. That's 2 plus characters and stages that need to be ready day 1, rather than just 1.

Conversely, once it's starting, we'll have a lot more facts to play with, than S2.

Lastly, it's also not a bad idea to give SFV some room. It'll be out soon enough.

vg260

The lack of new info right now seems an unfortunate side effect of getting more out of the gate at the start of S3. That's 2 plus characters and stages that need to be ready day 1, rather than just 1.

From that interview, that really seems to be the case. It sounds like they want to make a bigger initial splash than last time, and there's going to be possibly more content day-one than just a couple new characters and stages.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1166156

Sarcastic replies? Not likely. This is GAF after all.

Wait

ObMsEBm.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
From that interview, that really seems to be the case. It sounds like they want to make a bigger initial splash than last time, and there's going to be possibly more content day-one than just a couple new characters and stages.

It feels really great that the game has survived to go through all these phases, you know? Even beyond KI, this is great data for similar releases across all platforms. Listening to Adam, Keits, KLobb, James Goddard, or Campbell, even when you're feeling a bit annoyed from a personal fan level, you really get the idea they get how we feel, too.

And it's SO much more constant than, say, getting snippets of translations provided by single individuals who run fantastic fansites, haha. Even in our quietest times, there's so much more going on for this KI side, over the past few years, than with many other companies.

I wonder when they'll reveal the trailer during the KIWC, because I'll only be able to go for one day and I want it to be during that moment. >.<

They've been promoting KI really REALLY well but honestly, I think they need more promotions on S3 itself. PC release is pretty huge and I want them to start teasing us more since this year is really huge for fighting game fans and no doubt SF or GG is always gonna outshine KI when it comes to mainstream appeal. I'm not doubting that IG is working hard on it right now but I say might as well get the hype train started sooner than later.

I mean remember stuff like this?
oQgJEKl.jpg

or Mick's random snippets like this?
https://vine.co/v/O0LPhPKggF0

Sure the trailer or whatever can wait till the end of the month but teases like these made fans hype and kept them talking. When the Shago trailer release a few weeks ago, there wasn't even a tease and I think everybody here knows that if there was one at the end of the trailer, that alone would be hype to get things going for the old fans and something too look forward for the new ones. If they really want to get KI into the minds of those who are interested and keep them interested, there's no use in laying low on promotions so close to launch especially when their biggest competitor is launching a month ahead.

So I got this game with GWG, but me being absolutely terrible at fighting games, can't figure out how to do this training lesson.

It says I have to do a crouching heavy punch, followed by a heavy tiger fury. But every time I try, I can't connect the heavy tiger fury because the opponent gets knocked away too far.

I even recorded a clip of it:

http://xboxclips.com/BluePhazon1337/4238248b-d5ef-44c2-a1c8-84d92b14e864

This is the second fighting game I ever played (I don't count Smash). The last one being Soul Caliber 2 on GC. I am SO bad and it almost gets frustrating.

Anyone have any general tips to give a new player? I played against a CPU more than 10 times and lost every game. Most of the time I can't get them down to the second health bar :(

So I got this game with GWG, but me being absolutely terrible at fighting games, can't figure out how to do this training lesson.

It says I have to do a crouching heavy punch, followed by a heavy tiger fury. But every time I try, I can't connect the heavy tiger fury because the opponent gets knocked away too far.

This is the second fighting game I ever played (I don't count Smash). The last one being Soul Caliber 2 on GC. I am SO bad and it almost gets frustrating.

Anyone have any general tips to give a new player? I played against a CPU more than 10 times and lost every game. Most of the time I can't get them down to the second health bar :(
It's okay man, being new usually takes awhile. Right after you do c.HP, do the Tiger Fury motion straight away and not a second after. Basically when the c.HP hits, you should already be doing the motion for Tiger Fury. Keep trying and you'll find out the timing for it :).

Like Remapped said, you need to get the Tiger Fury to come out right away. There shouldn't be a pause between them. Just try doing the input faster and eventually you'll get it.

As far as general tips, all I can say is just keep practicing. I was awful at fighting games prior to playing at KI and I spent a ton of time facing beginner level AI and spending time in the practice mode learning how to do combos. It took a lot of time but eventually stuff starts to click.

Combo assist could also be helpful if you're not already using it.

You essentially need to input the command for the Tiger Fury immediately like at the same second. If I remember correctly you can use the Tiger Fury shortcut for this as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think it's incredible how KI survived not only the revival, but to transition devs between seasons.

IG are really doing fantastic work in keeping this thing going

Agreed, the company transistion went way better than most would think possible. Helps show how strong the purely Microsoft side is with the product, as well.

No, because they'll be adding other Shadow characters, and I don't want to be seeing Shorchid, Shaya and Shim Wu.

Shaya and Shim Wu sound pretty legit, actually. Shorchid looks close to something like "ShortChild"... naaa...

Sure the trailer or whatever can wait till the end of the month but teases like these made fans hype and kept them talking. When the Shago trailer release a few weeks ago, there wasn't even a tease and I think everybody here knows that if there was one at the end of the trailer, that alone would be hype to get things going for the old fans and something too look forward for the new ones. If they really want to get KI into the minds of those who are interested and keep them interested, there's no use in laying low on promotions so close to launch especially when their biggest competitor is launching a month ahead.

They've done like... everything in the past though. (The multiple parts of art with Kan Ra, varied Silhouettes, different types of teases after trailers, premiering stuff on other streams, doling out info over social media, etc.)

If they're not doing it now, (just yet). it's probably either a funds thing, or the fact that those installments of hype really don't mean as much as we personally feel they do. Or the teases would be SO OBVIOUS once we saw them, that they can't tease anything, lol. Seems impossible with entirely new characters, but...

jfoul

Got season 1 with GwG, and purchased Shadow Jago. Once I got through the training session, it's been awesome. I'm mainly playing against the CPU and training my shadow until I feel comfortable going online.

How do you get KI gold (currency) ?

Spent like a good hour getting through Dojo 30 and after finally getting the early anti air shadow endokuken juggle I felt so good thinking I've finally finished lesson 30, but then another message came up..... I'll get it done eventually.

Stick with it. I was newish to fighters when I jumped into KI, now I'm in the killer division and win more matches than I lose.

As for the dojo lesson, try pushing Jago into the corner and then trying the combo. Keep doing the cr.Hp and the uppercut separately untill it feels right. Then try do them together. With me it just clicked eventually and the timing made sense.

With fighters you just gotta keep grinding until it feels right. It will click eventually, trust me!

As for general tips, play around with the characters untill you find someone you want to focus on. Don't worry about big flashy combos to start. Practice your normal attacks and learn the range of each one. Once you have the normals down move onto specials and then try doing some combos.

Knowing your normals and understanding spacing is more important than busting out big flashy combos.

Who do you like playing so far? People in this thread can give character specific tips. I play Sabrewulf so I only really know him though and through.

Most importantly stick with it! It will take some time to get comfortable and know what your doing.

And again don't be afraid to ask for help!

Nori Chan

Got season 1 with GwG, and purchased Shadow Jago. Once I got through the training session, it's been awesome. I'm mainly playing against the CPU and training my shadow until I feel comfortable going online.

How do you get KI gold (currency) ?
KI Gold is bought with real money. It can't be earned in game.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I forgot how bad Eyedol was.. Very easy destroys.
He's a terrible design visually, in canon and in gameplay (even Ken Lobb agrees). He's the only character I don't want them to even bother trying to re-create cause the starting point is so embarrassing.

It boggles the mind that there's actually people screaming from the rafters for him to be in the game.

vg260

He's a terrible design visually, in canon and in gameplay (even Ken Lobb agrees). He's the only character I don't want them to even bother trying to re-create cause the starting point is so embarrassing.

It boggles the mind that there's actually people screaming from the rafters for him to be in the game.

I don't think he's any sillier than some of the characters in the game already. The original Thunder design was way worse than a nod to classic Harryhausen films. Maybe the design worked better in the originals due to the janky animation which emulated the source material in a way, but nothing that's inherently unsalvageable.

VariantX

Yeah, I couldn't believe people were complaining about motaro not being in MK9 and getting off-screen, even though hes a terrible character, both in mechanics and design.

vg260

¡HarlequinPanic!;191398248 said:
could be salvaged, but I like the designs of sadira, hisako, aganos and other original guys enough to want them to prioritize an original character instead.

Yeah, that's how I feel.

Hopefully the Vampire character will be cool. Not confirmed, but certainly sounds like we'll see one.

Top Bottom