• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

shoreu

I tried the game back then when it released on Xbox One. I'm a casual in fighting games and I didn't have a lot of fun then mashing the combos with the directional inputs. Now that the Ultimate got available via GwG I thought that I'd give it another try. First surprise: "Combo Assist". This is a game changer. I played it a lot this weekend and had much fun with Sabrewulf creating great combos with button presses only.

Quick question: "Overwhelm" attack from Sabrewulf. How does this one work?

It is a charge attack that becomes an un-blockable it has a couple of utilities.

BTW did anyone else get their character levels reset?

Does anyone want to play?

Kientin

Quick question. I don't have an XBone and I'm looking to get KI when it comes out on PC. If I grab Shago from the store, I'll have him when it comes out on PC right? I'm sure the answer is yes but I want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Quick question. I don't have an XBone and I'm looking to get KI when it comes out on PC. If I grab Shago from the store, I'll have him when it comes out on PC right? I'm sure the answer is yes but I want to make sure before I pull the trigger.
AFAIK the answer is YES.

When the PC version was announced MS was very adamant that everything purchased on either Xbone or PC would 100% transfer between the versions..DLC, character levels, XP, rank, everything.

.la1n

Yes you'll have him on PC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i watched the rash trailer like 20 times and i just now noticed the mistake in the 8 bit text

"You up for for a challenge"

lol im so slow sometimes :<

Juanfp

With the game free with gwg, I have playing this game and I discover I am really bad at fighting games, I have a hard time beating the dojo. But playing the story mode in the lowest difficulty make me feel like a god in the game doing combos. I think I am going to buy season 2.

I booted KI up for the first time in a few months, and my Aganos shadow hasn't fared too well in my absence. Six wins.. fifty-four losses. Guess it's time to start training Chief Thunder again.

So what do you guys think will be in the ultra edition this go around? Surely they'll stick with retros, accessories and early access but do you think they'll add anything extra and keep it at $40? Or drop the price slightly to make up for the lack of a KI classic? Or just charge $40 anyway?

Krixeus

So what do you guys think will be in the ultra edition this go around? Surely they'll stick with retros, accessories and early access but do you think they'll add anything extra and keep it at $40? Or drop the price slightly to make up for the lack of a KI classic? Or just charge $40 anyway?

I'm hoping it's just a reduced price. Keep adding the same things they did for the Ultra Editions of the first 2 seasons, but just lower the price since there aren't any more retro KI games to bundle with it.

.la1n

Boxing gloves for TJ Combo.

please

Missed opportunity not having them as part of the classic outfit. Sometimes things are so obvious I can't imagine why it wasn't done.

No idea but one thing I am 99.9% certain on is they will not reduce the price.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Persoanlly, I'd like to see either something else to do with Rare's Legacy developed for it (such as A new Battletoads Brawler or such... or Cobra Triangle HD!), or something tied to the new guest (Like early access to Phantom Dust, if the Guest was from it).

The bonuses of the Ultra edition are generally a way to get something made that wouldn't necessarily happen on it's own. I'd like to see it stay that way.

Other things I'd be cool with:
- a bonus character of some type.
- a set of new retros / reimagining for existing characters
- Some bonus "special media" for K.I, like an animated (CG/2D) special episode.
- A loyalty discount based on how many seasons you've downloaded to this point / which packages.
- Some kinda early access pass to trying out this season's future characters while they're in testing. Maybe tie it in to the game preview program? Getting to play Rash early was great fun.

It will be $40 and you'll get KI gold instead of the arcade port we usually get.

Bookmark me

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I really hope they completely overhaul the unlocking system in S3. We're used to it but I could see it being a huge turn off to the new PC crowd.

It will be $40 and you'll get KI gold instead of the arcade port we usually get.

Bookmark me

This honestly sounds the most likely to me.

I really hope they completely overhaul the unlocking system in S3. We're used to it but I could see it being a huge turn off to the new PC crowd.

Yeah, being completely based on grinding levels sucks hard but I guess they don't want to tie them to specific milestones because they want to make sure everyone can achieve them regardless of what modes they play.

.la1n

So I'm watching KiT Killer Instinct pools (twitch.tv/nycfurby) and correct me if I'm wrong but how was Jago's new instinct a better compromise than the older one? It looks like to me Jago gains much more life at round end now than he ever did when it was gaining walking forward and backward between rounds. I thought the idea was to make it less over powered.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So I'm watching KiT Killer Instinct pools (twitch.tv/nycfurby) and correct me if I'm wrong but how was Jago's new instinct a better compromise than the older one? It looks like to me Jago gains much more life at round end now than he ever did when it was gaining walking forward and backward between rounds. I thought the idea was to make it less over powered.

I do believe the problem with old jago instinct wasn't how good it was... rather the players weren't engaging. The fireball change was to force players to attack in order to see benefit

.la1n

Shadow Jago is tournament legal? I thought he was only going to be on sale for a limited time?

I thought it was bizarre too with him being a limited run character at first. The team said that if someone is running a legitimate tournament (not 10 guys in a basement) then they will be happy to send out shadow jago codes to the tournament organizers should they need him on the systems. Seems fair enough to me.

Obviously it would be preferable just to have him always available but I guess there are enough people out there who get their feelings hurt when something limited becomes available to more people to make that not feasible.

IMO People who owned Shago before real boy edition should have just gotten an exclusive color. Sell him for 4.99 or just include him with season 3 (as a bonus, not one of the eight new characters)

I don't understand the whole limited run thing tbh

Nori Chan

IMO People who owned Shago before real boy edition should have just gotten an exclusive color. Sell him for 4.99 or just include him with season 3 (as a bonus, not one of the eight new characters)

I don't understand the whole limited run thing tbh
I agree with this.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've purchased Hisako a couple of days ago and played a couple of rounds against CPU and online opponents with her. She's lvl ~18 now and I'm just starting to get the hang of her. I need to get used to using Vengeance way more often than currently.

dankir

I've purchased Hisako a couple of days ago and played a couple of rounds against CPU and online opponents with her. She's lvl ~18 now and I'm just starting to get the hang of her. I need to get used to using Vengeance way more often than currently.

Bruh just buy the Ultra edition, just get everything if not at least all the characters.

Season 2 is 9.99 this week, which means you can get all characters for 9.99 because of GwG. Go tell your friends, neighbors, and mom to go download it.

Warxard

Banned
Could someone help me get the timing down for breaking 'ONE TWO THREE' in Shadow moves? I don't really get it. I know it varies per shadow but it's really tough. :(

.la1n

Could someone help me get the timing down for breaking 'ONE TWO THREE' in Shadow moves? I don't really get it. I know it varies per shadow but it's really tough. :(

Use the guide posted, it will help. Go into practice and have the CPU perform shadows then practice breaking, you want to only pay attention to the hits. Just time your breaks along with the hits landing, don't stress on getting the first three hits. You only need to break three hits of the total hits in the shadow but you aren't required for them to be consecutive. It seems like you have to move super quick at first but eventually you'll get the hang of it and realize you don't. It's more like a rhythm game then being quick at it.

dankir

Well that's the thing, it does vary for each and every shadow move. The link posted to Infil's KI guide actually helps you practice breaking shadow moves.

Some you can mash so you break 3 hits, some the timing is tough. But you only need to properly break 3 hits out 5 hits.

The guide is fantastic.

jfoul

Season 2 is 9.99 this week, which means you can get all characters for 9.99 because of GwG. Go tell your friends, neighbors, and mom to go download it.

Is this live now?

Edit: Looks like it's live. Is Ultra Edition worth it?

• Combo Breaker $10
  • Ultra Edition $20

So I'm wondering if we'll get a reveal trailer before KI Cup. I wouldn't think Microsoft would want to show off the character before we get a proper reveal, but we're two months away and barley have any info so idk

dankir

So I'm wondering if we'll get a reveal trailer before KI Cup. I wouldn't think Microsoft would want to show off the character before we get a proper reveal, but we're two months away and barley have any info so idk

Dude there's going to be a Season 3 preview at the tourney. Players in the tournament will showcase/demo S3 to us.

We're going to learn a lot in 2 weeks :)

.la1n

They'll probably release the reveal trailer for the character(s) they are show casing before we see game play at KI World Cup.

Doukou

TJ's story
http://www.ultra-combo.com/glory-days/
Tyler-Johnson Garrett was born near Galveston Texas, the birthplace of the first African American Heavyweight Champion&#8212;the great Jack Johnson&#8212;whom TJ&#8217;s dad idolized. TJ&#8217;s family was poor and they worked hard, and TJ was taught to earn every penny that came into his pocket. His father was a dockworker and a former sergeant in the Army&#8212;the kind of man who flew the Stars and Stripes outside his house every day of the year. He trained TJ to fight using a stack of old tires as a heavy bag.

When TJ was twelve years old he got beaten badly in a city league bout. The other kid taunted him when he was down on the mat. TJ had never felt so ashamed. &#8220;Life isn&#8217;t about winning, son,&#8221; his dad told him. &#8220;It&#8217;s about losing and still keeping on. That&#8217;s called grit.&#8221;

But TJ wanted revenge. Before he and the other boy fought again, TJ removed some of the padding in his right hand glove and replaced it with a roll of quarters. He broke the other kid&#8217;s nose with one punch. The feeling of power was exhilarating. He started using different tricks to cheat, and won a lot of trophies until he finally got caught and was banned from the league. The one good thing in his life was gone.

TJ was in and out of trouble at school and with the law from that point on. He tried to join the military after dropping out of high school, but he coldcocked a drill sergeant in boot camp and was kicked out. He bought a one-way bus ticket to Chicago, carrying nothing more than a duffel bag full of workout clothes and a pair of boxing gloves. He found a job at a boxing gym on the South Side, doing menial tasks like sweeping the floors, taking care of the bathrooms, and cleaning up the cutman&#8217;s bloody rags&#8230;all to pay for his own training. He slept on a cot in the storage room.

Nobody knew him here. Nobody knew about his cheating. He was starting over doing the one thing that he loved. He turned his life around.

Over the next five years TJ grew tall and his body filled out. All during that time he studied the sweet science of boxing with the zeal of a scholar, analyzing the fighting techniques of his boxing idols like Ali and Tyson. And he worked his body until he was a rippling specimen of muscles and raw power. In his early twenties he started winning fights.

Journalists began calling him &#8220;Combo&#8221; for his devastating combination of jabs followed by a skull-hammering right hook. It took five more years of grinding it out on the boxing circuit, but eventually he got his shot and won the Heavyweight Championship. But he became the victim of every cliché: the over-the-top mansion; the grasping trophy wife; the collection of flashy cars; the entourage of worthless sycophants.

TJ got sloppy in his training and abused his body, partying like a rock star. He barely won the next two fights in defense of his title, and when he finally lost the belt three years after his first championship victory, he fell into a deep depression. Soon after he found out that his manager had fled the country, leaving him in debt and owing millions in back taxes. That&#8217;s when TJ&#8217;s wife left him. The boxer went crazy with rage and punched a brick wall, shattering his right forearm.

When he was in the hospital, drugged up on painkillers, a strange man approached him and told him about a special research program to rehabilitate athletes and make them superhuman. He was taken to an Ultratech lab and shown a production line creating cybernetic implants, and then given a demonstration of this tech&#8217;s miraculous powers. TJ was mesmerized and signed a contract on the spot, essentially handing over his life, career and potential earnings to the megacorporation.

Surgeons implanted titanium shafts into his forearms to add bone-crunching strength to his punches. At first TJ relished this newfound strength, and started training in earnest at an Ultratech facility. They put him through an array of tests, analyzing every aspect of his fighting style and even recording his brain waves when he fought. And they cut on him again and again.

Within six months he&#8217;d won back the title, pushing in his opponent&#8217;s face and putting the man in the hospital. Ultratech took the lion&#8217;s share of the purse and ordered him to live at their facility like a caged animal. He was watched day and night. TJ looked in the mirror one morning and saw a man wearing an iron slave collar staring back.

Ultratech forced TJ into fighting one of their Mark 01 Fulgore battle cyborgs in a highly publicized exhibition bout to show off their new military technology. ARIA&#8212;the artificial intelligence mind behind Ultratech&#8212;wanted to prove that her machine was better than a human. TJ was ordered to throw the fight just in case, but he went into the ring filled with a rage that made him mighty, and he pounded that metal man into the floor. To punish him ARIA leaked the information about TJ&#8217;s cybernetic implants to the press. &#8220;We made him a champion,&#8221; she announced. &#8220;He&#8217;s nothing more than an Ultratech product.&#8221; TJ was stripped of his title belt and banned from boxing for life.

That night TJ cut the cybernetic implants from his arms, screaming in agony as he pulled the metal from his flesh. He staggered to the local hospital and got them to stitch him up. His arms healed up fast. Too fast. He realized that Ultratech had done something more to him when they&#8217;d put him on the operating table and cut him open. They&#8217;d messed with his DNA.

His flesh healed fast, but his soul took longer. Using the little money that he had left to himself he leased his old gym on the South Side and slowly started to fix it up. He named it the &#8220;Combo Gym&#8221; and started training young fighters. He put up an American flag out front to remind him of his dad.

One day a man came around asking about him. A guy with a strange accent. He told TJ that people had been watching him&#8212;a group called the Disavowed. Their goal was to utterly destroy Ultratech and they wanted to enlist him. The foreigner showed TJ information linking his former manager to Ultratech. The megacorp had been playing the fighter for years. They&#8217;d bankrupted him so that they could get him in their clutches and study him like a lab rat. And now the Disavowed was offering to help TJ get even.

TJ told them everything that he knew about his procedures, and every detail about the Ultratech facilities and the cybernetic labs where he&#8217;d been operated on and trained. He even gave them his bloodstained implants.

The Disavowed starting feeding TJ information, enabling him to track down Ultratech agents, like the assassin Sadira. After a while TJ and the spy Orchid became friends, and infiltrated Ultratech together. He joined her on another mission to South America and the headquarters of the Night Guard to meet its last surviving member&#8212;the monster hunter Maya&#8212;and the warrior-monk Jago. But then they were attacked by an Ultratech army of Fulgore and Riptor units. TJ was ready to go out swinging. And then, by some miracle, the army suddenly called off the attack and retreated.

The boxer had survived another round and will continue his training, hoping to live up to the nickname &#8220;Combo.&#8221;

New male Disavowed character? Maybe it could be Tusk.

.la1n

So the quick healing ability explains his last breath come back? Anyone pick up on any hints of any new abilities?

Top Bottom