• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

.la1n

Are more and more people doing double ultras online? Feel like I have to sit through them way more often then I used to

I don't seem to notice more or less than usual. You can usually tell if your in for a possible double if they are playing a character with pretty easy recaptures. I think if they want to allow people to style (which is fine) they need to at least add an option to exit the match that doesn't require completely quitting KI and relaunching.

It's one of the top complaints I see from online players but not sure how easy it is to add that option. If nothing else maybe have it setup so that if you perform an ultra on ranked it automatically does the ender. That may be even harder though, not a programmer.

Keits

Developer
One of you should definitely make an OT. Draw some attention from not-yet KI fans, and spark some discussion.

Perhaps in the OT, link Wednesday night's Ultrachen during which Sajam explains why KI's combos are like Geif's mixups after Green Hand. Great stuff.

One of you should definitely make an OT. Draw some attention from not-yet KI fans, and spark some discussion.

Perhaps in the OT, link Wednesday night's Ultrachen during which Sajam explains why KI's combos are like Geif's mixups after Green Hand. Great stuff.

Seconded. I might be able to do one tonight, but if someone has time today to make a really good one that would probably be better.

Can't believe we're finally getting a season three reveal tomorrow! Best of luck Keits and co. Wish I could be there in person

Sydle

Yes.

I don't get home until 9PM EST and goto bed at like 10:30 so I could make one but it will be rushed lol. Plus I have work tomorrow ;~;

I should have it up by the time you get home. Any feedback tonight would be great, because I'll probably be at KIWC tomorrow and won't be able to adjust anything.

I should have it up by the time you get home. Any feedback tonight would be great, because I'll probably be at KIWC tomorrow and won't be able to adjust anything.

Awesome, I'll PM ya with suggestions if I have any. I'm sure it will be fine though lol

When does the stream starts for EU folks?

Saw this on Twitter, think there's a typo with the first time zone conversion though. Should say Saturday, not Sunday.

CZ2_r1vW0AAZ2_S.jpg:large

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

*internet high five*

Hell yes we need an OT for the cup, I'd say as long as the prizes, brackets and times are included along with the cup logo/final trailer you're good!

Skab

So is the Season 3 preview on Saturday the character reveal or am I going to have to wait for the 'Special Announcement' on Sunday?

Sunday is top 32 only. All the Season 3 stuff happens on Saturday. Balance updates, new character, S3 exhibition matches, etc.

I'm actually really looking forward to the balance stuff. Hearing a crowd turn into a live version of twitch chat in front of Keits is going to be rather amusing.

Scotia

Banned
Sunday is top 32 only. All the Season 3 stuff happens on Saturday. Balance updates, new character, S3 exhibition matches, etc.

I'm actually really looking forward to the balance stuff. Hearing a crowd turn into a live version of twitch chat in front of Keits is going to be rather amusing.

Nice. I'm busy Sunday so I'm glad I won't miss the Season 3 stuff.

.la1n

Max posted a video about about the KI Cup, mostly a summary of all the stuff that's going to go down but he did talk a little bit about the work he's done so far for season 3 although nothing too specific.

https://youtu.be/hJEWLCAVzqk

It sounds like his involvement for Season 3 is a bit more than just editing story scenes / trailers, excellent. I hope they add him as an announcer option, that would be sick.

So, gentlemen...do the system changes to KI Season 3 make you more excited to play the game?

Because I'll be honest, it's making me really excited. Stagger state now being a nearly character universal thing, combo breakers no longer knocking down, and the flipout mechanic are HUGE changes, in my opinion. The character changes are gravy, but these general system changes are something I really, really like.

Thank you to the KI devs, you've worked some magic.

Flip out and stagger seem like they could be really awesome. Definitely excited to see how much those change the game. I especially like flip out on combo breakers, it's a pretty genius change in my opinion.

Probably the only thing I was a bit lukewarm on was the increased focus on juggles but that's mostly because it's a weaker point in my game so I'll just have to put the time in and figure it out.

Flip out and stagger seem like they could be really awesome. Definitely excited to see how much those change the game. I especially like flip out on combo breakers, it's a pretty genius change in my opinion.

Probably the only thing I was a bit lukewarm on was the increased focus on juggles but that's mostly because it's a weaker point in my game so I'll just have to put the time in and figure it out.
I feel that exact same. Juggles just never make sense to me and my playstyle. I play Wulf and I can't even uppercut juggle

.la1n

So, gentlemen...do the system changes to KI Season 3 make you more excited to play the game?

Because I'll be honest, it's making me really excited. Stagger state now being a nearly character universal thing, combo breakers no longer knocking down, and the flipout mechanic are HUGE changes, in my opinion. The character changes are gravy, but these general system changes are something I really, really like.

Thank you to the KI devs, you've worked some magic.

Yes it does, I wasn't planning on even spending as much time in KI with SF V and new net code coming to MK X. Seeing my biggest concern addressed (combo break back to true neutral) along with taking a lot of the guess out of breakers makes me very happy. Doesn't hurt you can tell IG (Keits especially) genuinely love the game.

Is it just me or does it seem like the new focus in juggles will somehow negate the power or combo assist? Seems like the better players will be a able to juggle effectively, whereas more casual players relying on combo assist won't be able to execute juggles and be at a disadvantage

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

After getting a PS4, I became a little burned out on KI. As much as I love KoF, Chaos Code, Occasional Blazblue, etc, I was pretty much playing KI as my only fighter for a good while, since it was the main "2D" one I had access to on current systems.

SFV will probably be the only fully modern fighter I play like I did KI year 1 for a while (until KoF XIV), but all the new stuff definitely makes the split between the two in the coming months more even for me.

I rather love the new focus on juggles, because characters like Cinder and ARIA already felt like they were taking the game in such a direction. It's nice seeing even the old characters get the tools to be able to style in such a way, in their own ways.

I love spin-stuns in my fighters, and I love how exploitable they look here in S3. Watching Hisako Heavy>Tele>Heavy loop looks fun, even If it'll be nearly useless to spam like that in real fights, it'll be a great way to bait and taunt people.

I really like how Iron Galaxy can adapt stupid crazy stuff the players come up with into basically actual systems as the game evolves. Almost every change they show looks less like "man, I can't do cool stuff anymore!", and rather like "Oh... Oh gosh.. I can do even STUPIDER stuff now!"

Capcom feels like they do the opposite to me; when I find stuff I like, it's probably curbed back or nerfed in the next patch, lol. SFV beta has been fun, but every time I find something I love, I worry it might not be nearly as fun by the time the full game releases, ha.

It's a testament to the KI teams that I might look forward to this 3rd "season" as much as I look forward to the next big iteration of Street Fighter, one that feels much better (for me) than the previous entry in the series. And we're just gaining more! Not losing any loved stages, no leaving behind characters that weren't included in this sequel, just more and more, constantly growing and refreshing. Feels good!

Doukou

Haven't been able to watch all the changes, but I like most of the balance changes I saw but I've never been a big fan of juggling so I'm not sure how I feel about that shift.

tapedeck

Ugh... Kim Wu. She looks fun to play as, but yeesh that trailer with her dialogue was cringe worthy :(
Agreed and her model clearly isn't finished, not to insult anyone who worked on it but the trailer just wasn't very good.

I'm fully expecting significant visual improvements on her face and animation before launch.

.la1n

Was not feeling the music in that trailer. Seems like I'm going to be really missing Mick this season

:(

Can't get a good feel for it at all from the trailer or from what we have seen at KI Cup. I need to hear it in it's entirety. From what I have heard it doesn't sound as good as Mick's stuff (never expected it to) but still better than most fighting game music we get nowadays.

mdsfx

My only problem really was her dialogue. Corny can be a nice break, but it was a little TOO much.

Honestly though, I don't really care. She's going to be fun to use.

tapedeck

¡HarlequinPanic!;193794974 said:
I think KI can do with some cornball, personally. glad to see rash posing for the camera and a spunky teen talking about dragons.
That's why Rash is in the game, but regardless I'm happy with Kim Wu's GAMEPLAY which is obviously what matters most. I just hope they improve her look.

Edit: basically what the person above me said

Kim-wu's model and animations look eh. Like we have another Maya on our hands.
I try and and be fair about Iron Galaxy but I can't see myself coming back to KI.

I'll keep up with Season 3 and give the new characters and mechanics a chance but man, this is nothing that I initially wanted from KI. I just don't like any of these changes and this nerf/buff fest is everything I hate about fighting games these days. I always praised Double Helix for their approach to nerfs and buffs but this is completely against what DH did.

tapedeck

Kim-wu's model and animations look eh. Like we have another Maya on our hands.
I try and and be fair about Iron Galaxy but I can't see myself coming back to KI.

I'll keep up with Season 3 and give the new characters and mechanics a chance but man, this is nothing that I initially wanted from KI. I just don't like any of these changes and this nerf/buff fest is everything I hate about fighting games these days. I always praised Double Helix for their approach to nerfs and buffs but this is completely against what DH did.
I agree about the nerfs.

DH was adamant from the games inception that nerfs would avoided at all costs unless something was absolutely game breaking. Unfortunately IG has strayed very far away from that philosophy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmmm, Arbiter appearing in a season of KI that seems to hint towards Gargos as it's boss...

tumblr_m3btr7NMXi1rsnlcqo9_500.gif

I don't care if it'd make both characters sounds exactly the same... it'd be worth it!

---

I don't really know if DH could keep to a "No nerf" policy if they got to such a group of layered characters (which KI pretty much NEEDS to have to have more than palette-swaps of characters after a certain number).

The "nerfs" alongside the system changes are... bold, really. The kind of thing that normally happens really deep into established fighting series. We're working on the major parts that keep the series from those who dislike it within a years time, rather than on the next iteration 6 years after the last one.

I can understand how that's annoying when things change right under you, surely. But KI does a pretty decent job of documenting it's own systems, and the nuance of each character (even listing text descriptions of a characters more abstract traits in their move list.)

Which changes really feel so bad out there, anywho? Saber's more readable animation for his leap? Loss of Fulgore Up-laser? Spinals Instinct shift?

stn

So, what were the changes? Can anyone briefly summarize any major balance changes, please? Apart from that we got Kim Wu and Arbiter, right?

tapedeck

I thought this pic was pretty cool. Who would've believed this would be a thing 3 years ago?

CaGafFfUsAA6XNh

Edit: Max <3
CaGomxAUkAAqEBE

stn

Hey guys, what's the main KI forum these days? I found Ultra-Combo but its pretty dead. Any more active KI forums around? I'm a KI novice and want to get into the game more. Thanks.

Top Bottom