• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

So we aren't getting music teasers then?
Mick Gordon isn't doing the music any more and he was the one who always did the music teasers from his personal Vine/Instagram :(. Don't take my word for it but I kinda doubt we'll be getting any teasers since things have changed since then.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Only thing I don't like about flip out is the animation.

How would you like it changed? I think it looks fine, but I hate the blow-out animation a bit more, since it looks to be animated in a way that serves it's purpose (getting the enemy full-screen away), rather than looks good doing it (the trajectory and travel time sometime look off.)

There is a bit of frankenstiening with these things going on, that makes them jarring. If they were part of the game from day 1, they'd have more acute, proper animations. But either through minor adjustments, or just getting used to it, I think they ultimately work out.

Yeah, I think maybe a bit taller than Glacius or same size I imagine. I don't think he'll be standing at full height though but that's depended on what stance IG gives him.

Speaking of that, how would y'all want Arby to play like? Thinking like Iron Galaxy for a moment since they're all about different characters play styles, I'd like him to be a stance character with Gun/Energy Sword stances. KI's all about character variety and Halo is known for players holding only 2 weapons so I thought it'll be neat. Plasma grenade could be like a standard projectile move between both stances but his normals/specials would be different and switched on the fly like Aria.

Never though of him being THAT tall, I figure he'd be about equal to Glacius. Cool.

As far as I'd like him to play? I kind of hope they avoid the stance thing, and maybe go for punch / kick specific stuff? Top Buttons Covenant weapons, bottom UNSC! Cinder and Orchid both have Plasma Grenade-like stuff already, so maybe making him have shifting grenade types depending on which weaponset uses would also work.

What would his instinct be? Cloaking? Halo-style regenerating energy shields? Swapping out his normal weapons for a heavy weapon set? Armor (design) upgrade? Calling in an army of Elites to fight along side him? Support fire from a squad of fly-by Ghost?

Fair point again but from reading the change log, it's still along the lines of what Capcom do nerfing characters more than understanding why they're good. I still think there is a huge difference between Iron Galaxy and Double Helix approach to balancing characters.

I just don't know how you can listen to Keits speak out the changes, and thing he doesn't understand what makes the character good. I can understand it for Capcom, lol. I think Keits and Filthy both gained respect points from me, over KI streams, by being able to explain their characters in depth, often with insight beyond the general playerbase. The way they DIDN'T take away Kan-Ra's "turtly" BS, and even added new wrinkle to it, shows me they're not out-of-touch devs that just nerf in response to the loudest cries. This is what I think is the worse part about older Capcom nerfs. (I think they'll do better in SFV era.)

I mean, they Nerf-Buff. They take away "broken" stuff, but add in developed stuff to compensate, that carries the same spirit of what the broke gave. I feel like IG would, for example, developed a much better Dan for Street Fighter than Capcom has potentially ever done. He'd be more like SVC Chaos Dan (still goofy, but through animation, not comically weak attacks), rather than Capcom's (where they use the idea of him being a "joke character" to continually under-power, or under-develop him.)

Eh, I'm not really a fan of that change. Again, I like how basic Double Helix Killer Instinct was. I liked how Spinal played. I liked how I could manually charge Fulgores bar. I liked Jagos Wind Kick distance. I liked how ruthless Sabrewulf was. Only characters I prefer in Season 2 from Season 1 is Orchid and Thunder because of the tools they got. Season 2 felt like a mess to me and now they're adding more to it in Season 3. The changes and Kim-wu teaser don't look promising. But I'm giving it a try next month anyway.

I liked manual charge too (similar to how I like Chunk'n up with Aganos), and old Spinal was fun. Jago's old wind kick somewhat felt as I do about many Capcom moves; You don't make 3 strengths, plus an EX, and then just have 1 "best" option that over-performs. You try to have each level have it's specific uses, to encourage the fact they all get used. That's the best (basic) layer of moveset depth to a fighter, not number of unique moves, but usefulness of each strength.

DH got this well, and I think IG does, too. Seeing things like Cinder's Inferno and Saber's Run get more unique aspects per button press supports this. IG adds a lot of mechanic shifts, but KI still has an excellent training mode, to soften this, and the newly added Combo assist, which helps clear away a lot of the confusion while learning.

Most of the changes IG makes are basically just giving mechanics to things people did anyway. Spinal's Skullet Hell Shooter Instinct buff is just a more crazy version of the skull shenanigans people were doing before, and it's a smart way to give him the power of regen skulls, without having them.

I personally wish they'd add more "Grapple" to Thunder's emerging tools, but having multiple ends to Sammamish is something I've wanted since Day -30 or something (when I got to play him at TFC before release!), and I think they came up with a very "modern KI" way of doing it.

I guess I just prefer the tradeoffs we got. "Simple" KI S1 was good, but it also didn't really get the attention needed to keep it going. We don't know how DH would have grown this, but I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't have added layers of complexity as well. Would we be in an S3 if KI stayed purely as simple as S1? Would our characters have gotten as interesting as Aganos and Hisako, if the series stuck closer to it's original inspirations?

You just can't stay Super-simple with Larger cast. All fighters learned this over the years. The way KI now has a little bit of almost every fighter in it feels like an honest version of KI's original "Just rip off a bit of every fighter out there!" motif from the originals.

I love how it's a little bit "Anime", a lotta bit Street Fighter, a little bit KoF, and a little bit MvC. With a few sides of Samurai Shodown and Last Blade for good measure. Kim Wu is a bit Gato MOTW (EX Dragon Kick, unique air movement), with a bit of Kurandoberi Jam from Guilty Gear (all those other dragon kicks).

Definitely got to see how this all feels once it reaches the wild, though. There's easily a chance they could have overcompensated on some things (I'll Miss Maya's dagger ender, and Thunder's Call of Earth Damage), but this might all make sense once we get all the characters in our hands.

btags

As far as I'd like him to play? I kind of hope they avoid the stance thing, and maybe go for punch / kick specific stuff? Top Buttons Covenant weapons, bottom UNSC! Cinder and Orchid both have Plasma Grenade-like stuff already, so maybe making him have shifting grenade types depending on which weaponset uses would also work.

What would his instinct be? Cloaking? Halo-style regenerating energy shields? Swapping out his normal weapons for a heavy weapon set? Armor (design) upgrade? Calling in an army of Elites to fight along side him? Support fire from a squad of fly-by Ghost?

I think having multiple weapon types (covenant and UNSC) would be odd, just because it would feel like they are trying to cram in too much halo and not simply accentuating the arbiter as a character. I think they should go strictly with covenant stuff.

I also think it is quite obvious that his sword will be part of his design, but I like the idea of having something with the shields. One major design feature that Halo introduced (or at least majorly promoted) was having rechargeable shields, so it would be interesting if that somehow made it into his mechanics. Maybe they could go full on crazy with the Halo fiction and have modulation of shield strengths at different parts of his body be part of his design.

In the end, I have no idea, but seeing how they have treated Rash as a guest character makes me hopeful that they will make the arbiter just as unique and fitting in the KI universe.

The Flash

Banned
I have an artist friend who I'm probably gonna to commission to do some art for the S3 OT. The OT title that I've landed on is "Ain't No Party Like a KI Party" in reference to Rash's intro. The art would therefore be party themed. Does that sound appealing to you guys?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have an artist friend who I'm probably gonna to commission to do some art for the S3 OT. The OT title that I've landed on is "Ain't No Party Like a KI Party" in reference to Rash's intro. The art would therefore be party themed. Does that sound appealing to you guys?

Need to make sure it says season 3 and PC OT

Sydle

In what ways for example?

My mind immediately goes to confetti, streamers, party favors, and balloons, any of which I have difficulty imagining agreeing with the aesthetic and tone of the game. However, my imagination may be limited and you could have something clever in mind that works out really well.

My mind immediately goes to confetti, streamers, party favors, and balloons, any of which I have difficulty imagining agreeing with the aesthetic and tone of the game. However, my imagination may be limited and you could have something clever in mind that works out really well.

Clearly, the Christmas accessories passed you by.

The Flash

Banned

Okay yeah I know where you're thinking of. What I'm picturing in my head is like a central art piece showing the cast huddled around a coach watching people play KI. Something like these:

Super-Sleepover-super-smash-bros-brawl-27884020-600-450.jpg
Smash-Bros-Party-super-smash-bros-brawl-21550303-569-734.jpg
Not this:

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think having multiple weapon types (covenant and UNSC) would be odd, just because it would feel like they are trying to cram in too much halo and not simply accentuating the arbiter as a character. I think they should go strictly with covenant stuff.

Well, weapons in an FPX are basically just like attack strengths in a fighter; and (playing as) the Arbiter just pics up whatever is on the field and uses it. So I don't think using a human pistol for Light punch, but a Covie Pistol for LK would really diminish his identity, or feel out of place. It's just be a different way to approach the fact that 1 button presses in a shooter can lead to very different results.

I just wonder if he has the move repertoire to actually stance cancel. There's not much martial arts seen in Halo; it's mostly various weapons being wielded for the particular situation. Full screen rifles, mid-screen machine guns, and Anti-personelle pistol sprays just seem kinda cool, and unlike anyone else in game. With Sword being used for specials, throws, and command normals.

I also think it is quite obvious that his sword will be part of his design, but I like the idea of having something with the shields. One major design feature that Halo introduced (or at least majorly promoted) was having rechargeable shields, so it would be interesting if that somehow made it into his mechanics. Maybe they could go full on crazy with the Halo fiction and have modulation of shield strengths at different parts of his body be part of his design.

In the end, I have no idea, but seeing how they have treated Rash as a guest character makes me hopeful that they will make the arbiter just as unique and fitting in the KI universe.

Maybe he'd take less projectile damage if he squatted while covered in shield, simulating the functionality of taking cover behind structures. I could see modular shield tech working if it where tied to attack / defensive stances, actually...

Sure, sounds great. I don't think it's as much a matter of if the characters would be caught celebrating; just think of it as a 90s video game magazine cover. The characters can be doing things that are a little goofy for themselves, but it's all for the sake of fun, so just go wild with it.

KI S3 |OT|: I've got a Rash, and the only prescription is a friggin' dragon.

or, for a more Arbiter/PC port emphasis...

KI S3 |OT|: If they came here to hear me (port) beg, they will be disappointed.

The Flash

Banned
My vote is for the Cameos one but would like to know more about the party theme though

Party may not have been the right word to use. Now that I've thought about it some more, "celebration" feels more appropriate for what I'm thinking of.

One of the big concepts that I'm working through right now is this idea of a introductory list for all the characters. Imagine it like this. A lot of movies and TV shows have character introductions during the opening credits. "Famous Actor as Protagonist". It would be the same thing but silly and tongue in cheek. For example: Shakira as Maya, A blue slushie as Glacius, Ken Lobb as Thunder (which is actually true). This concept would be one of the things that would play into the theme of celebrating KI.

Dry, bare bones, nothing-but-facts-OPs are not fun in my opinion. I want this OP to be fun and silly (as well as informative) because that's what I see when I look at KI. I see the competitive fun factor of a fighting game and the silliness of having a pirate skeleton fight a giant velociraptor. That's what we would be celebrating.

I finally finished the KI Cup finals today, man... Rebelo v Rico was awesome.

Super sad to see Rebelo go down to My God. I hate Sabrewulf in this game, and I hate how My God plays him, haha. So I'm glad Rico could finish him off.

Great tournament, loads of fun to watch. Rico is just so damn good, and very entertaining.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Killer Instinct S3 |OT| We eSports now

Killer Instinct S3 |OT| Xbox Smash Bros.

Killer Instinct S3 |OT| Forget it, Rico will win anyway

Killer Instinct S3 |OT| Worshipping false Eyedols

Killer Instinct S3 |OT| Everyone was Gargos

Finally got around to trying out Omen and holy crap! I think Landing Demonic Despair on a human opponent may be the single most satisfying thing in all of games for me now. Absolutely cannot wait for the rebalance to hit for it.

Alright. You've given me an idea.

What other characters would you have be in Xbox Smash Bros? The sillier the better.
I think I can see where you might be going with this.
Clippy The Paper Clip, Jack Of Blades, Forza car, Mr Pants.
edit: How could I forget the amazing Zak from Fusion Frenzy, and Phil Spencer himself.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Alright. You've given me an idea.

What other characters would you have be in Xbox Smash Bros? The sillier the better.

We can't forget Azurik now, can we?

azurik_rise_of_perathia_343918.jpg

Nightcaster!

6c_21871_0_Nightcaster.jpg

Voodoo Vince:

voodoo%20vince.jpg

Phantom Dust:

phantom-dust-4e266f1a08991.jpg

And Gun Valkyrie:

Gunvalkyriecover.jpg

Quoted for size reasons.

Also, any other Rare characters Microsoft has shown an interest in. Peter Moore could also be shoehorned into there, being integral to Xbox in the original and 360 days.

Played online for the first time in really long while. Leagues are still pretty awful unfortunately. It feels like only about 20%ish of the matches are actually relatively even which is just a pathetically low number for an online game in this day and age. I hope IG has some big changes in the works for leagues for season 3 because right now I find myself wishing we had the old season 1 ranking system.

vg260

Played online for the first time in really long while. Leagues are still pretty awful unfortunately. It feels like only about 20%ish of the matches are actually relatively even which is just a pathetically low number for an online game in this day and age. I hope IG has some big changes in the works for leagues for season 3 because right now I find myself wishing we had the old season 1 ranking system.

I certainly hope it changes. I honestly don't belong where I am so it's discouraging to fight online. Been mostly learning by playing Shadows. Too bad so most people aren't using them. I hope they do something to encourage more shadow uploading too.

.la1n

I'm in the gold ladder and I feel like the majority of my opponents are fairly even fights. The only discouraging part is realizing I'll probably never make it out into killers. I really want to play 2 out of 3 matches, they really should add that to at least the Gold ladder as well. I need at least the first match to get a feel for how the opponent plays.

Top Bottom