• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

84GBVSU.png

interesting

GnawtyDog

Banned
I was repulsed by some of the decisions the new dev made with KI. Then again mostly everyone says the game is great. I guess nostalgia is my problem.

I own the original on the SNES, as well as a sealed copy I opened on the front - MINT CIB now. I am a die-hard for the SNES version.

Does the physical release run off the disc or does it require an install?

No Xbox One (or PlayStation 4) games run off the discs. They all install the entire disc to the hard drive and then just use the disc to confirm that you own it.

I'm running out of hard drive space real fast. :/

Silky

Banned
I was repulsed by some of the decisions the new dev made with KI. Then again mostly everyone says the game is great. I guess nostalgia is my problem.

I own the original on the SNES, as well as a sealed copy I opened on the front - MINT CIB now. I am a die-hard for the SNES version.

In its essence the original KI is, by all standards, a mediocre fighting game when put it comparison to its main competitor at the time--Darkstalkers. KI2 made the bigger push with making it more competitively viable and I find KI3 to be the perfect visualization/reboot of what KI2 was meant to be.

MattXIII

As much as I love the OG Arcade Games, Microsoft's KI is just a much better/refined 'fighting game'

Sponge

Banned

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I love the old KI games too, I still have a copy of KI Gold next to my N64. I definitely think the new KI is the better game though.

Synth

The original (especially the SNES port) is comparatively garbage. Nostalgia isn't always a good thing. KI2013 is actually great in today's market. The original wasn't even great against the competition back then.

I'm honestly curious about what specifically repulsed you. Like, not in a "Let's fight about it" kind of way, but I just can't imagine what changes could have caused that reaction.

Sydle

I was a die hard fan of the arcade, SNES, and N64 versions. Loved them, but they are so hard to enjoy now. KI2013 is objectively a better fighting game in every way.

Even Ken Lobb has said the new KI is the game envisioned all those years ago but didn't make.

shandy706

I too have a sealed copy, and opened copy. KI and KI 2 were my most played arcade games at the arcades when they came out too.

KI on the Xbox One absolutely destroys the originals in play-ability and as a fighting game. If you had told me years ago it would turn out so much better, I wouldn't have believed you.

My call-name since middle school "Sabre" among my friends, came from the game. The game really does make playing KI/2 difficult. The game comes with them, so you really get to contrast them.

Really thinking about picking up the complete version of S2...I have S1 already, so another $39 isn't too bad (although it would have been nice to have a lesser cost for legacy purchaces).

What if there are like 4 or more seasons? I don't want to pay more than 60 for a fighting game.

I think it's safe to say they'll keep following this model for as many seasons as they decide to make. So the next season will be another 8 characters for $20. With that in mind, you'll be getting 24 fighters for $60 which is pretty comparable to other (new) franchise fighting games.

You also have to think of it this way: Yes, if you bought a theoretical 4 seasons, you'd be paying $80 for the game. But KI is set up like a platform. There isn't going to be a KI4 (or whatever you want to call it) this generation. There isn't going to be a separate Ultra KI Arcade Edition EX. Just one base game that you can add to however you like (since you can also buy the characters separately). For example, I payed $60 for MvC3 only to have Ultimate MvC3 come out less than a year later for $40. If I had bought that, essentially the "full" MvC3 game would have cost me $100. If you want Tekken 7 and they bring out Tekken 8 two years later, you'll have no choice but to spend $120 on it if you're getting them day one and they'll be separate games. How many paid expansions to Street Fighter 4 has there been?

In other words, don't think of this game as a single game. It's more of a platform that you can add to as little or as much as you want. It's a different way to think about buying a game in this genre (though it's not the first to try something like it) and I get the mental adjustment that requires, but ultimately it's giving you more choice than most other fighting games to pay what you want.

There's nothing you can do today to ensure you'll have all future characters. It'd be like buying two seasons of a TV show, and asking "what if it gets new seasons?".
Also this lol. There's a reason they refer to them as "Seasons".

Sydle

Really thinking about picking up the complete version of S2...I have S1 already, so another $39 isn't too bad (although it would have been nice to have a lesser cost for legacy purchaces).

S2 had a 10% discount (lol) for the last week or so of September for people who already owned S1. I agree that they should reward loyal/return buyers in some way.

I think it's safe to say they'll keep following this model for as many seasons as they decide to make. So the next season will be another 8 characters for $20. With that in mind, you'll be getting 24 fighters for $60 which is pretty comparable to other (new) franchise fighting games.

You also have to think of it this way: Yes, if you bought a theoretical 4 seasons, you'd be paying $80 for the game. But KI is set up like a platform. There isn't going to be a KI4 (or whatever you want to call it) this generation. There isn't going to be a separate Ultra KI Arcade Edition EX. Just one base game that you can add to however you like (since you can also buy the characters separately). For example, I payed $60 for MvC3 only to have Ultimate MvC3 come out less than a year later for $40. If I had bought that, essentially the "full" MvC3 game would have cost me $100. If you want Tekken 7 and they bring out Tekken 8 two years later, you'll have no choice but to spend $120 on it if you're getting them day one and they'll be separate games. How many paid expansions to Street Fighter 4 has there been?

In other words, don't think of this game as a single game. It's more of a platform that you can add to as little or as much as you want. It's a different way to think about buying a game in this genre (though it's not the first to try something like it) and I get the mental adjustment that requires, but ultimately it's giving you more choice than most other fighting games to pay what you want.

Thanks! This was a very helpful answer to a more casual player like myself. When you put it this way the model does make more sense, but its confusing to the genre outsider like me. I am usually a value buyer in this genre but I love this game!

Thanks! This was a very helpful answer to a more casual player like myself. When you put it this way the model does make more sense, but its confusing to the genre outsider like me. I am usually a value buyer in this genre but I love this game!

No problem! It's definitely an experiment and hasn't been tried in this exact way in the genre so I'm not surprised when people are confused. I'm mostly a fan of it because it not only lowers the cost of entry for a relatively niche genre, but also eliminates one of the biggest problems I have with fighting game releases which is the almost inevitable "Super" version of a game that adds more characters, but essentially requires you to buy a whole new SKU. The genre has been getting better about it lately, but I'd like to see more games adopt KI's model as I think it's ultimately the most consumer friendly approach I've seen.

Very well said. And the best thing about the way KI is presented as a platform, you don't split up the online userbase. Anyone who has KI season 1 can play against people with KI season 2, so the online userbase keeps growing.

As opposed to something like Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4 and Ultra Street Fighter 4. If you bought the original vanilla SF4 and didn't buy the new Super or Ultra versions, you are stuck with an online userbase that has diminished greatly because a majority of them have moved on to the next version of the game. And that seriously sucks.

dankir

Jebaily, what can be done about the character select screen? It doesn't fit the motif of S2 I find. It loads very slowly, lots of empty space and isn't interesting!

Change it!

Miles X

What if there are like 4 or more seasons? I don't want to pay more than 60 for a fighting game.

Don't then? First 3 seasons will give you typical $60 fighting game content (all modes, 24 characters ect)

Anything after that you could "count" as DLC. It's all optional afterall.

And I mean, there is one season a year for $20. What's the big deal about paying for the content at a fair price? Seems to me you're nitpicking for sakes sake.

Jebaily, what can be done about the character select screen? It doesn't fit the motif of S2 I find. It loads very slowly, lots of empty space and isn't interesting!

Change it!

Outside of the cursor being laggy sometimes (which I assume will be fixed) I don't really see any issues with it. It definitely fits within the design of the rest of the UI. The empty space that I assume you're talking about is most definitely for a season 3 roster.

To me it's a major improvement over the old ones. I have no real problems with it other than the occasional laggy cursor.

CEOJebailey

Neo Member
Sorry guys I wont be able to always answer everyone's questions.

I will say this though, pretty much everything I see or is posted here in terms of additions or changes to the game, you can bet we already discuss or consider it.

I'm a fighting game fan at heart for over 20 years now so I always relay what the fans/players would like to see it but implementation always comes down to time and resources.

The game is doing great so far so the more support from players it gets the more features will be considered in the future.

dankir

Outside of the cursor being laggy sometimes (which I assume will be fixed) I don't really see any issues with it. It definitely fits within the design of the rest of the UI. The empty space that I assume you're talking about is most definitely for a season 3 roster.

To me it's a major improvement over the old ones. I have no real problems with it other than the occasional laggy cursor.

It's plain and boring. As I mentioned before I think horizontal scrolling character selects should be a KI series staple. Which it basically was prior to S2. Some variation of that would have been cool.

If anything get the character models to load faster.

DrDogg

84GBVSU.png

interesting

I'd actually be curious about the negative feedback they get from focus tests. While I doubt we'll ever hear much about negative stuff, if every single person involved in the focus tests loves the character, I think they need different people playing. Not everyone is going to like everything no matter how good it is, but the negative feedback can be far more helpful than the positive feedback.

I really want to like a character in KI, but right now I don't mesh with any of them. I wanted to like my KI1 mains of Sabrewulf, Spinal and Fulgore, but I don't. I wanted to like Maya, but I don't. I need to play more of Combo, but I'm not really big on him either. My KI2 mains of Tusk and Kim Wu are season three. Here's hoping I can get into one of the new characters. :(

In its essence the original KI is, by all standards, a mediocre fighting game when put it comparison to its main competitor at the time--Darkstalkers. KI2 made the bigger push with making it more competitively viable and I find KI3 to be the perfect visualization/reboot of what KI2 was meant to be.

I always thought arcade KI was up against Mortal Kombat 2. I remember going back and forth between the KI and MK2 machines at my local arcades.

I feel like KI3 is missing a lot of the finer details that would make it more nostalgic. Thunder doesn't say, "Phoenix," Combo's Rolling Punch is slow, cumbersome and doesn't go through projectiles (even though the standalone roll does), Sabrewulf doesn't have a roll and the screen doesn't shake when he's running toward you, Spinal's Air Skeleport is virtually useless and he has no morph mechanic, etc.

Despite not having a character I enjoy playing, I still like and support the game, but I do wish the dev teams at DH and IG took more care in adding in the finer details that would appeal to fans of the originals.

Looking forward to NotAMummy.

Sorry guys I wont be able to always answer everyone's questions.

I will say this though, pretty much everything I see or is posted here in terms of additions or changes to the game, you can bet we already discuss or consider it.

I'm a fighting game fan at heart for over 20 years now so I always relay what the fans/players would like to see it but implementation always comes down to time and resources.

The game is doing great so far so the more support from players it gets the more features will be considered in the future.

Oooooh. So I'm guessing the game is selling like expected. Good news if so! I want Season 3. :)

Bit of an amateur as far as ki is concerned. Would love a fightstick but can't warrant the cash etc.

Always had trouble hitting the quarter circles etc, but found these helped. Not ideal but for a fiver the additional distance you get on the thumbsticks makes it easier for the specials.

Anyway.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JHP3Z6A/

Just in case anyone's in the same boat as me!

Not affiliated in anyway btw.

Delt31

It's plain and boring. As I mentioned before I think horizontal scrolling character selects should be a KI series staple. Which it basically was prior to S2. Some variation of that would have been cool.

If anything get the character models to load faster.

COMPLETELY AGREE - Please update the character screen please!

vg260

Very well said. And the best thing about the way KI is presented as a platform, you don't split up the online userbase. Anyone who has KI season 1 can play against people with KI season 2, so the online userbase keeps growing.

As opposed to something like Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4 and Ultra Street Fighter 4. If you bought the original vanilla SF4 and didn't buy the new Super or Ultra versions, you are stuck with an online userbase that has diminished greatly because a majority of them have moved on to the next version of the game. And that seriously sucks.

KI is great in that regard, but from Super on, Capcom handled upgrade paths about as well as could be reasonable expected from starting with a non-F2P model and being the first fighter back after years of genre dormancy and in a new tech generation. I have no issue with it, with edition updates only being $15 and over a year or more apart. That's trivial to ask to keep up with the player base. Now ArcSys is another story.

I do think the character selection looks a little plain, but I'm for faster, more responsive loading screens. I actually think a static character image is best if it would reduce loading and lag for models updating. The less time spent waiting on a character select screen to update, the better.

.la1n

I think he is referring to how long it takes character models to load, an issue that's been around since Season 1. I'm not sure there's anything they can do about that on a technical level.

dankir

I think he is referring to how long it takes character models to load, an issue that's been around since Season 1. I'm not sure there's anything they can do about that on a technical level.

Well that's the thing. The pre fight animation loads up twice essentially. In the character select and then in the vs screen.

There's something that could be done right there to make it more interesting. You have those character portraits from Survival mode which I found a welcomed edition.

Obviously I love the game and my issues are minor at best, but I think IG can do better than what we've got. I know some of the stage Ultra animations will be fixed/adjusted so I'm sure this is something they are looking at.

Anybody wanna play tonite? Just got Internet installed and wanna run some sets in about 2 hours.
Jago, combo, and Maya are the characters I wanna practice with might add thunder as well.
xbl: Faded Revolution

Top Bottom