• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The original (especially the SNES port) is comparatively garbage. Nostalgia isn't always a good thing. KI2013 is actually great in today's market. The original wasn't even great against the competition back then.

Best fighter in the SNES. But that's just me I guess.

I'm honestly curious about what specifically repulsed you. Like, not in a "Let's fight about it" kind of way, but I just can't imagine what changes could have caused that reaction.

I do have specific reasons which I'll go more in detail on an edit - since I don't own the game but I did watch plenty of footage when the game released - being such a fan myself. As a matter of fact I need to pop my copy on my SNES right now to begin.

dankir

Best fighter in the SNES. But that's just me I guess.

I do have specific reasons which I'll go more in detail on an edit - since I don't own the game but I did watch plenty of footage when the game released - being such a fan myself. As a matter of fact I need to pop my copy on my SNES right now to begin.

Well buy the Ultra pack of S1 on X1 and get an Arcade perfect pet of KI.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Better for a new post:

This really pisses me off: Why change it for hipster BS like "Solid", "Extreme" etc?

Original:

Triple (3 hits)
Super (4 hits)
Hyper (5 hits)
Brutal (6 hits)
Master (7 hits)
Awesome (8 hits)
Blaster (9 hits)
Monster (10 hits)
King(11 hits)
Killer (12 and above)

-------------Somewhat pissed off:

Announcer = Street Fighter style. Also, the announcer accentuates first word (combo type) as well as the word (combo). Original KI - only the "combo type" would be accentuated. Ex: BRUTAL "coMbO". New KI "EXTREMEEEEEEE" "COMBOOOOOO" LIKE WTF? We get it.

----------------SOUND:

In original KI almost every punch had a sound - character specific, move specific (punch,leg kick etc). NOT character voice-over.

Look at any Cinder fight on youtube for the original KI. The most obvious to pick up.

-------------Combo sequence + effects:

Particle/special effects galore in new KI (hard to keep up with what's going on in the combo sequence). Almost every move has some effect in the new KI:

Orchid-Killer-Instinct.jpg

2549847-killinstinct_review_002.jpg

Needless to say it's annoying and confusing.

More:

Animation delay/time freeze while in a combo (umph punch clue) in the new KI - same as ultra street fighter IV. A no no for old fanatics of KI.

KI in my opinion has always been about smooth combo animations that are SEAMLESS and CONTINUOUS. The linkers in the combo sequence have no delay nor a visual/audio clue - the "umph"
A lot of this smoothness and appeal gets lost with all the particles going around as well as the delays that I mentioned - it's hard to define them but it's the same in Street Fighter IV. Like copied from SFIV - there is no hiding it.

--------------------Character Design:

Jago: Dude was never that buffed. Missed the mark with him as a Ninja.

Chief Thunder: Another character that they missed the mark on - looks more like T-Hawk of SFIV than the original Chief Thunder of KI. Too buffed. Too top heavy. In the original KI he was also top heavy but had a very thin waist line to compensate, as well as a very open leg stance.

Spinal: WTF did they do to his shield? A squid? really - now he's pirate too? The dude had more a resemblance of a great Mongolian warrior (eastern warrior) than just another pirate.

The other characters were good for the most part. Glacious and Fulgore being the most difficult to get right - I think they did a solid job. I still don't like the new frost balls of Glacious but that's with the new.

========Summary.

All in all I am sure I could find more of the small things that when pooled together make a difference in what made RARE's KI original. The little things made it stand out from other fighters at the time, as well as from the new crop of modern fighters. I think the new game tried to capture the hipster audience too much. The new dev team also copied from other fighters where there was NO NEED to copy and as a result lost some of its originality, and original fanfare IMO. Notwithstanding the game is very barebones when it comes to character selection as well as the omission of a Final boss fighter (Eyedol, Gargos).

From all the impressions the core of the new game is good enough. When it comes to paying homage to its predecessors, they missed the mark on some things - some of it by design - not necessarily smart design. I don't think anyone that played the original KI's and its trutly a fan would see the omissions/changes I mentioned as minor - since they are key differentiators of KI from other fighters.

Synth

I plan to give a proper, longer response to your post later on (when it's not 4:30am where I'm at).
Spoiler: A lot of it'll be about how It's a followup, not a remake

But this... this alone should have you stripped of your KI superfan title.

dankir

Better for a new post:

This really pisses me off: Why change it for hipster BS like "Solid", "Extreme" etc?

Original:

Triple (3 hits)
Super (4 hits)
Hyper (5 hits)
Brutal (6 hits)
Master (7 hits)
Awesome (8 hits)
Blaster (9 hits)
Monster (10 hits)
King(11 hits)
Killer (12 and above)

Announcer = Street Fighter style. Also, the announcer accentuates first word (combo type) as well as the word (combo). Original KI - only the "combo type" would be accentuated. Ex: BRUTAL "coMbO". New KI "EXTREMEEEEEEE" "COMBOOOOOO" LIKE WTF? We get it.

----------------SOUND:

In original KI almost every punch had a sound - character specific, move specific (punch,leg kick etc). NOT character voice-over.

Look at any Cinder fight on youtube for the original KI. The most obvious to pick up.

Particle/special effects galore in new KI (hard to keep up with what's going on in the combo sequence). Almost every move has some effect in the new KI:

More:

Animation delay/time freeze while in a combo (umph punch clue) in the new KI - same as ultra street fighter IV. A no no for old fanatics of KI.

KI in my opinion has always been about smooth combo animations that are SEAMLESS and CONTINUOUS. The linkers in the combo sequence have no delay nor a visual/audio clue - the "umph"
A lot of this smoothness and appeal gets lost with all the particles going around as well as the delays that I mentioned - it's hard to define them but it's the same in Street Fighter IV. Like copied from SFIV - there is no hiding it.

Chief Thunder: Another character that they missed the mark on - looks more like T-Hawk of SFIV than the original Chief Thunder of KI. Too buffed. Too top heavy. In the original KI he was also top heavy but had a very thin waist line to compensate, as well as a very open leg stance.

Spinal: WTF did they do to his shield? A squid? really - now he's pirate too? The dude had more a resemblance of a great Mongolian warrior (eastern warrior) than just another pirate.

The other characters were good for the most part. Glacious and Fulgore being the most difficult to get right - I think they did a solid job. I still don't like the new frost balls of Glacious but that's with the new.

========Summary.

All in all I am sure I could find more of the small things that when pooled together make a difference in what made RARE's KI original. The little things made it stand out from other fighters at the time, as well as from the new crop of modern fighters. I think the new game tried to capture the hipster audience too much. The new dev team also copied from other fighters where there was NO NEED to copy and as a result lost some of its originality, and original fanfare IMO. Notwithstanding the game is very barebones when it comes to character selection as well as the omission of a Final boss fighter (Eyedol, Gargos).

From all the impressions the core of the new game is good enough. When it comes to paying homage to its predecessors, they missed the mark on some things - some of it by design - not necessarily smart design. I don't think anyone that played the original KI's and its trutly a fan would see the omissions/changes I mentioned as minor - since they are key differentiators of KI from other fighters.

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

I'll have to say I disagree 100% with you on every point you've listed here. How much time have you put into KI on Xbox One?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I plan to give a proper, longer response to your post later on (when it's not 4:30am where I'm at).
Spoiler: A lot of it'll be about how It's a followup, not a remake

But this... this alone should have you stripped of your KI superfan title.

Not really.

IMG_2469.jpg

Disagreeing with my opinion is another thing entirely. I have clocked more than a 100+ hrs on the original KI on the SNES. It's been an unhealthy relationship to say the least. Not sure about that stripping...tripping.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I agree that some of the character re-design choices were..off..not bad necessarily but just missed the mark aesthetically.

Also I hate Mike as an announcer too, but that's why you can unlock Chris and you're good to go.

The rest of your points are kinda strange, it seems like you haven't actually played KI3 that much?

Edit: I will say Maya and Combo could certainly use some improvements in animation.

dankir

Not really.

214pq10.jpg

Disagreeing with my opinion is another thing entirely.

A couple of things you pointed out:

20140102-221455.jpg

vs

JAGO.jpg

Jago looks like he's on Synthol here look at those tumorous biceps.

KI_2013_Spinal_Alternate_Costume.jpg
\

vs

Ki2_spinal_render2.jpg

and
SNES--Killer%20Instinct_Oct18%201_20_25.png

Basically you're saying that the character costumes should be the same as they were in previous games. But then the retro costumes are homages to KI1 and KI2. What else do you want?

Perhaps sticking to the noodle legs they gave characters back then because they couldn't render limbs properly?

Killer_Instinct_1_Jago_1.jpg

Look at how out of proportion Orchid and Jago are...Come on man get out of here with that shit.

But that's why we have KI and KI 2 classic which are perfect arcade ports and are 100X times better than the SNES version. Surely you must see this.

And really the hitstun affects make it hard to decipher what's going on??? Play the game for a little bit and you'll understand exactly what's happening.

Furthermore KI 1 for SNES has 80 percent of the animations removed because the hardware couldn't handle the arcade graphics. You've put all your time loving a shitty port of a great game. Play KI 1 classic for XBox 1 and play the game how its meant to be played.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Basically you're saying that the character costumes should be the same as they were in previous games. But then the retro costumes are homages to KI1 and KI2. What else do you want?

Perhaps sticking to the noodle legs they gave characters back then because they couldn't render limbs properly?

Killer_Instinct_1_Jago_1.jpg

Look at how out of proportion Orchid and Jago are...Come on man get out of here with that shit.

But that's why we have KI and KI 2 classic which are perfect arcade ports and are 100X times better than the SNES version. Surely you must see this.

And really the hitstun affects make it hard to decipher what's going on??? Play the game for a little bit and you'll understand exactly what's happening.

Furthermore KI 1 for SNES has 80 percent of the animations removed because the hardware couldn't handle the arcade graphics. You've put all your time loving a shitty port of a great game. Play KI 1 classic for XBox 1 and play the game how its meant to be played.

No, what I am saying is he's shouldn't look as buffed for a ninja - simple as that. And it's also an opinion. In comparison to the other characters in KI, Jago was one of the least "buffed up" (barring Orchid, and of course Spinal). Thunder, Combo, Cinder, Glacious, Riptor, Sabrewolf, Fulgore - all more buffed, and bigger in size.

The 100% better, shitty port etc are massive exaggerations to get a point across and be dismissive of an opinion - but then again we are talking argumentative opinions here.

dankir

No, what I am saying is he's shouldn't look as buffed for a ninja - simple as that. And it's also an opinion. In comparison to the other characters in KI, Jago was one of the least "buffed up" (barring Orchird, and of course Spinal).

The 100% better, shitty port etc are massive exaggerations to get a point across - but then again we are talking opinions here.

What do you mean 100% better port? KI classic is the original arcade game!! Nothing cut out, nothing stripped it's 100% identical. The SNES ran at what 25 -30 frames probably less? Missing more than 3/4 of the game animations, FMVs, sounds, background details, audio, etc and you think that's the perfect fighting game? KI for SNES is as good as it gets. Did you even play KI in the arcades?

Wow I don't even know what to say. Thankfully Double Helix, Ken Lobb, Iron Galaxy didn't listen to you when designing KI for Xbox One.

Watch this video this is part 2.
http://shoryuken.com/2014/10/22/did...econd-helping-of-killer-instinct-information/

For real though, I don't get the "hipster" accusation. Almost everything the game does is an homage to the original and the time it came from. KI was ALL about being EXTREME (it was the 90's after all). The game is dripping with nostalgia. Even the reveal trailer was throwback with the voice over "COMING TO XBOX ONE IN 2013!!".

Suffice to say I disagree with all your points with somewhat the exception of the animation hit stop.

Jago was easily that buff in the original games

GnawtyDog

Banned
You tell me you're the super fan who's put 100+ hours into an snes game that came out in what 96/97?

Truly the KI fan we've always needed.

1995 last I checked on the boot up screen. KI on the SNES is best fighter I have ever played from a pure mechanics perspective and a heavy dose of nostalgia too. Yes I say that makes me a super fan. Considering I played other great fighters at the time that were considered superior like MK II, MK 3, and Street Fighter II/Turbo.

You can disagree with my opinion - you made that clear in your initial post. No need to get angry or upset at a differing opinion. It's not like I have said the new game is crap or anything....not surprised at the attacks tho...

dankir

For real though, I don't get the "hipster" accusation. Almost everything the game does is an homage to the original and the time it came from. KI was ALL about being EXTREME (it was the 90's after all). The game is dripping with nostalgia. Even the reveal trailer was throwback with the voice over "COMING TO XBOX ONE IN 2013!!".

Suffice to say I disagree with all your points with somewhat the exception of the animation hit stop.

Jago was easily that buff in the original games

It's as if he's only played KI for SNES. Not KI Gold, not the arcade titles nor the classic versions and from the looks of it never touched KI for Xbox One.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's as if he's only played KI for SNES. Not KI Gold, not the arcade titles nor the classic versions and from the looks of it never touched KI for Xbox One.

Through my childhood I was a console gamer and still am till this day. KI on the SNES and KI Gold on the N64 which I never liked - didn't play as much and ending up trading. Nonetheless I did play say, 20-30 hrs of it? I hated all the quasi-3D fighters of that gen pretty much, not just KI Gold. Then again I hated the N64 too. Went PS1 and never looked back.

There is no qualifier criteria for criticism, nor opinion for that matter. Keep pushing that line....makes your "argument" desperate. Which as it should be noted - basically your disagreement with my gripes on character design. The only thing you have articulated thus far btw- despite disagreeing with every single gripe of mine.

dankir

Through my childhood I was a console gamer and still am till this day. KI on the SNES and KI Gold on the N64 which I never liked - didn't play as much and ending up trading. Nonetheless I did play say, 20-30 hrs of it? I hated all the quasi-3D fighters of that gen pretty much, not just KI Gold. Then again I hated the N64 too. Went PS1 and never looked back.

There is no qualifier criteria for criticism, nor opinion for that matter. Keep pushing that line....makes your "argument" desperate. Which as it should be noted - is basically your disagreement with my gripes on character design. The only thing you have articulated thus far - despite disagreeing with everything single gripe of mine.

Truly godlike, was that too hipster for you? Thanks for your contribution to this thread on a game you've even said you've never played...

GnawtyDog

Banned
Truly godlike, was that too hipster for you? Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

I merely responded to someone that wanted to know what my gripes with the new KI were compared to the old Ki's I played. It seems some disagree, and it seems some disagree so much that they can't handle just disagreeing.

Head.spawn

Not really.

IMG_2469.jpg

Disagreeing with my opinion is another thing entirely. I have clocked more than a 100+ hrs on the original KI on the SNES. It's been an unhealthy relationship to say the least. Not sure about that stripping...tripping.

Lol. I clocked 100hours in on that about two decades ago.

Step your game up son.

dankir

Anyways I was watching Mr Grimmz stream and this dude play tested the Mummy character. Said he was really fun to play with and used a icon with cat ears... maybe he's up close and speedy like Felicia?

When are we supposed to get the trailer for him?

The less the new KI plays like the old ones, the better.

Those list of nitpicks is lol worthy though, been a while since I laughed that hard.

Jesus.

I don't think you can call yourself a super fan if you only enjoy playing the first KI, along with not giving this one a try.

I can admit that I wasn't too excited for it, but after following it for so long and learning of everything it offered. I just absolutely loved it, and that won't change.

My mains were Jago and Sabrewulf. Things change, stuff you have to live with, and you just have to adapt. I found my fun on Thunder, and I absolutely love his new designs, it's honestly for the better.

Sydle

What's the point of calling it Killer Instinct then? or rebooting the franchise for that matter? Better to go with a new IP if you wanna be the next Street Fighter or MK.

The core of KI is its combo system and the new one has improved upon everything about it with a better system to maintain 2-way interaction at all times. Additionally, it's evolved past a pure rush down game and actually delivered a diversified cast of archetypes. It has come a long way and still, when you play it, there's absolutely no mistaking it for any other fighting game. It feels strongly familiar (and so much better) right away.

You seem displeased with the presentation of it, which is fine. Personally I think it still looks and sounds like KI in all the right ways, but to each his own. Once you play it and get hooked you'll come around to being indifferent at the very least, allowing yourself to enjoy what you're playing.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Jesus.

I don't think you can call yourself a super fan if you only enjoy playing the first KI, along with not giving this one a try.

I can admit that I wasn't too excited for it, but after following it for so long and learning of everything it offered. I just absolutely loved it, and that won't change.

My mains were Jago and Sabrewulf. Things change, stuff you have to live with, and you just have to adapt. I found my fun on Thunder, and I absolutely love his new designs, it's honestly for the better.

There are only 3 KI games to date. 2 of which I have played. The third of which doesn't sell me on a console purchase - not like a single game will anyway. Like I have said in my previous posts - I have read good things about the game, great impressions of it. However, when it comes to some simple things I expected to carry over - it's just not there. That does not mean the game got everything wrong. That in no way equates to the game "sucking" and I have made that clear. I can have my opinion on the things I mentioned and they are legitimate to me. I am not trying to prevent people from purchasing the game. Some need to obviously cool off. Irony here is calling me nitpicker when they nitpick me for calling a "monk" a ninja cause the dude is damn ninja. Yep I hit the mark with some unfortunately.

I have yet to hear how adding so much particle/special effects to almost every single punch as well as the animation delay/time freeze "umph" to the combo sequence = better KI experience other than been something copied from SFIV (unless we talk about appeal to a certain crowd). No need to change the name of the combo types either - unless of course, thinking "SOLID", "EXTREME" and the like is cool and hip with the current times. What they also did was increase the list and shuffle the words around depending on combo hit counts - needlessly. The announcer voice thing is an oversight per say or a matter of tastes, same with character design of some* characters - no less legitimate in anyway if someone finds it off-putting.

Not gonna derail the thread any further since it was never the intent. I was just responding to a simple, honest question to begin with.

Oh wow, thats... i wasn't expecting that. Is Wii U the same?

Yep. T'is a shame. The Evil Within has a 40 gig install. I need a harddrive now.

You're not going to find a fighting game that hasn't cost you at least over $60 in the long run.

Unless it's Skullgirls.

Tekken? Yatagarsu? Girl Fight?

Better for a new post:

Original:

Triple (3 hits)
Super (4 hits)
Hyper (5 hits)
Brutal (6 hits)
Master (7 hits)
Awesome (8 hits)
Blaster (9 hits)
Monster (10 hits)
King(11 hits)
Killer (12 and above)

----------------SOUND:

More:

========Summary.

Hey man, y'know what? I disagree with your points, but I completely respect your opinion.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I kinda don't understand why you're being jumped on so much. These opinions sound pretty similar to ideas many had when the game was first revealed back at E3. I just think most of us now see that what's come from the game isn't just a 1 way street of Takign an idea and changing it, but actually taking an idea and evolving it, which I personally find to be much more respectful in this case.

Better for a new post:

Because this game isn't just designed for KI heads, but for fighter fans. It's not as if the old game wasn't designed like this either; there just wasn't so much established talk. Now that we're YEARS deeper in, and what was a sudden fad then is now well established and developed, we can draw from things, rather than make them up.

Yeah, it was awesome how he sounded like he lost interest before! ;-) You forget to mention how the "combo" is only added on to completed combos now, yet the name is said along if you drop the combo's end.

----------------SOUND:

The big complaint was that the game lacked character voice reactions, and thus they added more. I like the sound mix now; It doesn't sound as cheap and hokey as using the old sound effects would, and it sounds more like a fight between characters than something that's trying to be as campy as MK, or more "serious" like Street Fighter's attack sounds.

Also, what Mick Gordon has done with "Musical Ultras" is so much better than any of the sound ideas in the old KI, while feeling like it built off the most memorable aspect of old ultras; the rhythm given when listening to the hit tempo build up. The fact that the hit sound effects and climax melodies are so well done on a per-stage basis is something most other modern fighters wouldn't dare to put so much time into. It's great new KI not only got to notice it, but expand upon it, and then come up with something fresh out of it, as well.

That's a good thing. The effects help illustrate the motion, strength, and uniqueness of each move. Not like old KI's blood didn't try and do the same. This is a higher level of presentation than what old KI offered. I can't really see how it's annoying and confusing, because they compliment the moves, not obstruct them.

I've always been a fan of hitstop to some degree, because it SELLS impact and pain. I loved the way this worked back in the old NES Double Dragon games, or the 3D Zelda's. I wouldn't call this a no-no as an old KI fan; if anything, the constant motion of the old stuff looks like the animator just didn't do as good a job selling the worth of each blow.

Away from the style, and more to the gameplay, having clear moments of weight and stop also probably really helps the online play, as well, and works good with the 3D engines motions. KI's netcode is often praised, and much of that is probably due to the fact that it's gameplay has a little pause and stun built in, that is the same offline as it is online.

Smooth... as in instantly going to another motion without any build up or anticipation? Naaa. this is just them working with what they had.

Anything KI apes from SF (or the loads of other fighters people fail to mention) is all to it's betterment; KI's first 2 games obviously wanted to borrow mechanics from other games, but their implementation wasn't anyway near as refined or polished as the games that outlived them. Now KI has the help of not only more seasoned returning devs that were there when the games were made, but also people who played more hours in fighters over the years than would have even been possible back then, at the genesis of the genre.

Any real fan of KI should be happy the game has been updated to the times so much. They could have simply played this as an HD skinned nostalgia project, but all the time they've put into modernizing but respecting the old feel shows that they trust this more as a long time project, rather than as a nostalgic cash grab.

Look at his new design. It's as much "monk" as "American bastardization of Ninja" as the old design, just with a more clear cut visualization of what makes sense with the concept. The "buff" part really shouldn't matter. He's a character that should look impressive in a game that's all about the making the characters the most eye-catching, memorable aspect. The weight and presence given to his new design feels much more substantial than the "me too power ranger's extra!" feel given off by his old design, now.

I'm one of those who love the new Thunder, as a person who held old Thunder and Glacius as his favorite characters in KI1. Old Thunder looked like a Todd McFarlane / Rob Liefeld tribute character that missed the mark on being more than a product of the time. The new Thunder looks like a matured fighter that still remains impressive years later, even if he's not build just like all the younger people in the game. On the old KI forums, I described how this made him feel something like Terry Bogard VS Kyo Kusanagi in the KOF world; he might not be the main young protagonist, but he offers a more matured, seasoned look that still says "I could be a main star", which I think is worlds better than the old design.

Again, furthering the lore. Old Spinal had chant-infused music, had aspects that could be seen as Mongolian or Viking like, and was an obvious tribute to Jason and the Argonauts skeletons. He encompasses all of that now, but with more unique flair, and much stronger realization on giving a visual return to the loaded lore. And his accessories and classic costume do a very good job at letting you push him in the direction of whatever inspiration you see for him; Viking, Knight, Samurai, Roman Warrior, have at it! Only 1 of his shields is the "living shield" variety, he has tons more to choose from.

========Summary.

The new gameplay just... respects the fact that it's no longer the early/mid 90s, and we've had 1000s of fighters since then. KI2 tried to do this, but I don't think the designers were up to the task, proven by the lukewarm reception to the game.

New KI loses no originality. If anything, it gains it in the fact that it's a "2 way control" fighter full of combo-breaks, without the overwhelming strength of counters seen in DOA. It takes the strong counter / reversal systems that have been cultivated in modern 2D and 3D fighters, and makes them a centerpiece, rather than a single character specific feature. It's done an amazingly good job at this, making it one of the best "new" fighter properties produced in recent years, and (to me) probably the most legit western-made fighter this side of Skullgirls. I've played this KI more than I've probably played any of the last decade's worth of MK games, combined. Mostly due to the fact that it manages to feel like a "real" fighting game after all the fancy animations are out they way.

When I first played KI, I was the best fighter player among my friends. I spent more time with them than anyone I knew, hunted down arcades, begged to go to them whenever I could, and for a brief time, KI 2 was THE game I'd want to play (especially due to limited available locations.) But since then, with the intro of online play, I was introduced to a level of depth and dedication to fighters much beyond what I knew then.

Thank Goodness new KI grew up with me! I've tried to go back to KI 1 and 2 thanks to the ultra editions (finally getting to legit-own the arcade editions is so good), and I get little similar to the feel I get from going back to, say, KoF 95, Fatal Fury 2, or Samurai Shodown II. They feel more like relics that haven't aged as well, since they were not as strong a products as their other similarly-timed contemporaries. KI 2 is much more of a modern product, and I do appreciate some of this, but the nuance of it's gameplay is unrefined; it feels like it was a "super" or "turbo" version away from becoming truly solid, a chance it sadly never had.

On top of all this, new KI is doing surprisingly well with the dev-issues it has. IG isn't the perfect replacement for DH, yet they have some strengths that outclass what DH did. All of this could lead to dev woes that give us a severely hampered, stopped-before-it's-time mess of a product. But instead, we get something that is ultimately very solid and fun, that has minor issues, compared to what COULD be. A game that was once a "me too!" is now trying to be a trendsetter in multiple ways. And isn't that one of the best things that could happen to a series that could have easily been forgotten?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I kinda don't understand why you're being jumped on so much. These opinions sound pretty similar to ideas many had when the game was first revealed back at E3. I just think most of us now see that what's come from the game isn't just a 1 way street of Takign an idea and changing it, but actually taking an idea and evolving it, which I personally find to be much more respectful in this case.

Because this game isn't just designed for KI heads, but for fighter fans. It's not as if the old game wasn't designed like this either; there just wasn't so much established talk. Now that we're YEARS deeper in, and what was a sudden fad then is now well established and developed, we can draw from things, rather than make them up.

Yeah, it was awesome how he sounded like he lost interest before! ;-) You forget to mention how the "combo" is only added on to completed combos now, yet the name is said along if you drop the combo's end.

The big complaint was that the game lacked character voice reactions, and thus they added more. I like the sound mix now; It doesn't sound as cheap and hokey as using the old sound effects would, and it sounds more like a fight between characters than something that's trying to be as campy as MK, or more "serious" like Street Fighter's attack sounds.

Also, what Mick Gordon has done with "Musical Ultras" is so much better than any of the sound ideas in the old KI, while feeling like it built off the most memorable aspect of old ultras; the rhythm given when listening to the hit tempo build up. The fact that the hit sound effects and climax melodies are so well done on a per-stage basis is something most other modern fighters wouldn't dare to put so much time into. It's great new KI not only got to notice it, but expand upon it, and then come up with something fresh out of it, as well.

That's a good thing. The effects help illustrate the motion, strength, and uniqueness of each move. Not like old KI's blood didn't try and do the same. This is a higher level of presentation than what old KI offered. I can't really see how it's annoying and confusing, because they compliment the moves, not obstruct them.

I've always been a fan of hitstop to some degree, because it SELLS impact and pain. I loved the way this worked back in the old NES Double Dragon games, or the 3D Zelda's. I wouldn't call this a no-no as an old KI fan; if anything, the constant motion of the old stuff looks like the animator just didn't do as good a job selling the worth of each blow.

Away from the style, and more to the gameplay, having clear moments of weight and stop also probably really helps the online play, as well, and works good with the 3D engines motions. KI's netcode is often praised, and much of that is probably due to the fact that it's gameplay has a little pause and stun built in, that is the same offline as it is online.

Smooth... as in instantly going to another motion without any build up or anticipation? Naaa. this is just them working with what they had.

Anything KI apes from SF (or the loads of other fighters people fail to mention) is all to it's betterment; KI's first 2 games obviously wanted to borrow mechanics from other games, but their implementation wasn't anyway near as refined or polished as the games that outlived them. Now KI has the help of not only more seasoned returning devs that were there when the games were made, but also people who played more hours in fighters over the years than would have even been possible back then, at the genesis of the genre.

Any real fan of KI should be happy the game has been updated to the times so much. They could have simply played this as an HD skinned nostalgia project, but all the time they've put into modernizing but respecting the old feel shows that they trust this more as a long time project, rather than as a nostalgic cash grab.

Look at his new design. It's as much "monk" as "American bastardization of Ninja" as the old design, just with a more clear cut visualization of what makes sense with the concept. The "buff" part really shouldn't matter. He's a character that should look impressive in a game that's all about the making the characters the most eye-catching, memorable aspect. The weight and presence given to his new design feels much more substantial than the "me too power ranger's extra!" feel given off by his old design, now.

I'm one of those who love the new Thunder, as a person who held old Thunder and Glacius as his favorite characters in KI1. Old Thunder looked like a Todd McFarlane / Rob Liefeld tribute character that missed the mark on being more than a product of the time. The new Thunder looks like a matured fighter that still remains impressive years later, even if he's not build just like all the younger people in the game. On the old KI forums, I described how this made him feel something like Terry Bogard VS Kyo Kusanagi in the KOF world; he might not be the main young protagonist, but he offers a more matured, seasoned look that still says "I could be a main star", which I think is worlds better than the old design.

Again, furthering the lore. Old Spinal had chant-infused music, had aspects that could be seen as Mongolian or Viking like, and was an obvious tribute to Jason and the Argonauts skeletons. He encompasses all of that now, but with more unique flair, and much stronger realization on giving a visual return to the loaded lore. And his accessories and classic costume do a very good job at letting you push him in the direction of whatever inspiration you see for him; Viking, Knight, Samurai, Roman Warrior, have at it! Only 1 of his shields is the "living shield" variety, he has tons more to choose from.

The new gameplay just... respects the fact that it's no longer the early/mid 90s, and we've had 1000s of fighters since then. KI2 tried to do this, but I don't think the designers were up to the task, proven by the lukewarm reception to the game.

New KI loses no originality. If anything, it gains it in the fact that it's a "2 way control" fighter full of combo-breaks, without the overwhelming strength of counters seen in DOA. It takes the strong counter / reversal systems that have been cultivated in modern 2D and 3D fighters, and makes them a centerpiece, rather than a single character specific feature. It's done an amazingly good job at this, making it one of the best "new" fighter properties produced in recent years, and (to me) probably the most legit western-made fighter this side of Skullgirls. I've played this KI more than I've probably played any of the last decade's worth of MK games, combined. Mostly due to the fact that it manages to feel like a "real" fighting game after all the fancy animations are out they way.

When I first played KI, I was the best fighter player among my friends. I spent more time with them than anyone I knew, hunted down arcades, begged to go to them whenever I could, and for a brief time, KI 2 was THE game I'd want to play (especially due to limited available locations.) But since then, with the intro of online play, I was introduced to a level of depth and dedication to fighters much beyond what I knew then.

Thank Goodness new KI grew up with me! I've tried to go back to KI 1 and 2 thanks to the ultra editions (finally getting to legit-own the arcade editions is so good), and I get little similar to the feel I get from going back to, say, KoF 95, Fatal Fury 2, or Samurai Shodown II. They feel more like relics that haven't aged as well, since they were not as strong a products as their other similarly-timed contemporaries. KI 2 is much more of a modern product, and I do appreciate some of this, but the nuance of it's gameplay is unrefined; it feels like it was a "super" or "turbo" version away from becoming truly solid, a chance it sadly never had.

On top of all this, new KI is doing surprisingly well with the dev-issues it has. IG isn't the perfect replacement for DH, yet they have some strengths that outclass what DH did. All of this could lead to dev woes that give us a severely hampered, stopped-before-it's-time mess of a product. But instead, we get something that is ultimately very solid and fun, that has minor issues, compared to what COULD be. A game that was once a "me too!" is now trying to be a trendsetter in multiple ways. And isn't that one of the best things that could happen to a series that could have easily been forgotten?
Wow, absolutely stellar post.

I really have nothing to add other than...I agree lol.

rrc1594

I never played the old KI because I was born 5 months before it came out, but I enjoy these one more then any other fighter in the last 10 years.

I'll just say this. Even though I think your list is extremely nitpicky and being a little too stuck in your ways and views of SNES KI, I appreciate you laying out your gripes GnawtyDog. My thoughts basically mirror SAB CA's post.

Silky

Banned
Better for a new post:

Here we go.

Original:

Triple (3 hits)
Super (4 hits)
Hyper (5 hits)
Brutal (6 hits)
Master (7 hits)
Awesome (8 hits)
Blaster (9 hits)
Monster (10 hits)
King(11 hits)
Killer (12 and above)

I'm glad they added more combo charts, but I gotta admit Beastly Combo is kind of cheesy.

In the arcade version of KI1, They actually did say the entire line. It was cut in the Super Nintendo version of KI due to hardware restraints.

The original announcer is in the new KI, if you don't care for Mike (default announcer's voice.). Options.

----------------SOUND:

Look at any Cinder fight on youtube for the original KI. The most obvious to pick up

I...don't really get this argument. Sound is the least worry regarding KI considering the mixing of the music is top notch. I get that some of the impact sounds in combat are a bit weak, though.

More:

I'd rather have a game take the benefits of the new hardware it's missed out on for three generations. So you've lost me on the particle effect complaints.

I also have no idea how you can compare animation delay with a game that doesn't really use a dial-a-combo system (SF) in comparison to a game that does use a dial-a-combo system in a hybrid sense. The reason why KI/KI2's combos were so smooth and seamless is because most of the combos were already programmed to work as such due to limited options both games had. (Dr. Dogg PLS don't kill me.)

I watch Ultra/KI streams on Multitwich almost daily, and I for the life of me cannot see how these animation delays are the same. You're also implying as if taking something from SF is a bad thing, when it really isn't. It's good to find inspirations from other games to work them into your own playstyle.

Spinal was literally a skeleton in KI1.
Spinal was literally a skeleton with a skirt in KI2. There was nothing 'mongolian' about him (the spinal in KI2 was obviously inspired more or less by vikings.) I don't blame DH in taking SOME creative liberty with a creatively dead character like Spinal.

Of course Thunder should be top heavy--he's the 'grappler' of the game, in a game that doesn't have any grapplers. I love his new design.

I'll give you Jago. Fucking Rohan Kishibe hair lame-o.

========Summary.

Killer Instinct at is core is not considered a competitvely viable fighting game. (again Dr. Dogg don't kill me.) I'm glad that DH/MS looked into revamping how the game played and again I love the 'poker-esque' 3DS system of game--it's not necessarily 'classic' KI but at the same time it's wholly unique enough as a great modernization of the franchise. Rare had no experience making fighters--their 'originality' when applied today is creatively bankrupt.

A good fighting game developer does things on their own, a GREAT fighting game developer takes it's inspirations from other FGs and meld it into their own archetype.

Making claims that 'not noticing the changes doesn't make you a true fan!' doesn't exactly make your argument any better. In fact it's as if you're belittling people who see the changes as for the better. I mean it's cool that you have a different perspective of the game, but there's no need to spout nonsense such as 'oh they made this game for hipsters!' when in reality hipsters don't /play/ fighting games. Come on.

I have clocked more than a 100+ hrs on the original KI on the SNES.

you mean the version with only the keyframe animations and downsized from hell to back
sass1.png

you know the inferior version
sass2.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Oh and for the accentuation argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz9IsUp319c

Mind you this is the only one it's done on iirc, but the combo accentuation does exist in the original game

also... apparently an update just dropped... no idea what's different... it's ~250 MB

Hi folks - this update contains a few bug fixes and back end updates.

We will be posting patch notes later today, and Adam Isgreen should have some details in the textual stream.

Cheers!

Dave M

guess we won't know until later

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad you guys like the Text Wall, came out even more huge than anticipated..

News on the update that came out, from Microsoft employee on forums:

Hi folks - this update contains a few bug fixes and back end updates. 

We will be posting patch notes later today, and Adam Isgreen should have some details in the textual stream. 

Cheers!  

Dave M

*lol, hella beat.. I blame typing and pasting on tablets!

Top Bottom