• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This makes sense. Ultra pack owners should get the character earlier than that assuming they try to make it a one week head start.

Im assuming midpoint of month for ultra edition and end of month for combo pack... but early access may be as short as a week

Zedox

Not too soon, i hope. Basically I have to learn the 2 new characters plus re-learn most of the old news due to the changes and the new moves.

I'd say late january.

Late January? Uhm, no. It's happening in November. Already stated that we get a new character per month.

I have the original arcade version but I'll admit there's something nostalgic about playing the SNES port from time to time.

true, I have the SNES game CIB and I'll pop it in every now and then, bu then I just end up playing the arcade version. ever since I tasted the arcade version I could not go back.

eastx

I think he is referring to how long it takes character models to load, an issue that's been around since Season 1. I'm not sure there's anything they can do about that on a technical level.

Use still images instead of 3D models? Load them all at once or in the background instead of only when you highlight a character? Come on, it's not rocket science.

dankir

Use still images instead of 3D models? Load them all at once or in the background instead of only when you highlight a character? Come on, it's not rocket science.

Or like I said don't load the same pre fight model twice, which is what happens now.

I sure would love to see a trailer hit soon, but I doubt it. Hah.

I can't wait to see what this game becomes once all the characters drop on by. Who will be the least used, and the most used within the 17 characters.

Will we ger our true Sadira killer? :p

The Xbox website is acting very goofy for me, so hopefully someone here can answer me. I am buying an Xbox One next week and am dying to finally be able to play KI. Can I still buy the KI Season One special edition, complete with all costumes and the original arcade game?

dankir

The Xbox website is acting very goofy for me, so hopefully someone here can answer me. I am buying an Xbox One next week and am dying to finally be able to play KI. Can I still buy the KI Season One special edition, complete with all costumes and the original arcade game?

Yup. You can buy the Ultra pack digitally for 40 dollars (might be less) there's a disc version for S1 but I'm not sure it includes KI Classic.

Yes, you could still buy the Pin Ultimate Edition ($60 ver.), but it's Out Of Stock at this moment.

You could still get Ultra pack ($40), which gives you all the costumes and the original game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Making claims that 'not noticing the changes doesn't make you a true fan!' doesn't exactly make your argument any better. In fact it's as if you're belittling people who see the changes as for the better.

I said that the changes ARE NOT MINOR - in short - that a diehard KI fan should be able to notice those said changes. I did not say that "you are NOT a fan" "if you don't think "the changes are BAD. I think some of the changes are "unnecessary" and/or bad but I am not saying all KI fans should feel the same way I do. I just said diehard KI fans should be able to notice the changes since they are NOT so Minor changes - IMO. The tone being somewhat negative is leading some to believe a suggestion that's not there and misinterpret it. Not going to blame anybody for it either.

Spinal always looked to me like a skeleton of a Mongolian warrior - by his shield, sword and bracelet. He could also be associated with Vikings obv. + the mention of him being an ancient warrior a thousand years old etc......that was my clue.
31456209f8f7657e668723e6a37bcf87.jpg

362f3633a7eeb95c6a8b08da8a01845d_large.jpg

Taking stuff from other fighters is not bad. I just think the "hit-stop" animation or whatever it's called was an unnecessary addition to the combo-sequences - IMO. I don't think the super meters ala SFIV are bad - they have to add something new and fresh in that regard beyond combo's - to add some depth. The animation delay/freeze thing is just not one of them and counter-intuitive when it comes to KI's long-combo string nature (seamless and continuous) - IMO.

After all, I was asked to talk about the negatives I found, NOT the positives.

------> I love my SNES and everything on it pretty much. Well technically, classics - a lot of them on the SNES.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a good read of SAB post. Mostly very enthusiastic and polar opposite of any of my opinions - well articulated. I'm still not convinced on key things that "benefit" KI.

I am truly out this time. Had two quality responses which deserve the props. Thanks.

Only issue with that is it wouldn't show your customized character. Trying to have that WITH the 3D models is probably the entire cause of the long load times.

How does KI fare with the controller? It's blasphemous to me to play a fighter with a controller, but the KI stick seems to have been a limited production run and I can't afford to drop $200 on MadCatx's replacement stick just yet.

I unlocked Music- KI Feeling and it shows its unlocked in the collection, but it doesn't show up in the theme menu in training...is this a known issue?

zalemale

This week's text stream is out: http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3506.0

Hi everyone,

Welcome to this week’s Textual Stream for the week of October 24th, 2014!

Today’s patch
A small patch went out today for Killer Instinct. This contained mostly bug and service-side fixes.

Here’s the quick summary of changes:
Fixed an issue where Progression system was losing XP when you logged offline and back online. This will address a lot of the mysterious ‘losing levels’ issues.
Fixed an issue where KI Gold Prices disappear in the Store.
Fixed a De-sync issue when character timer runs down.
Fixed an issue with TJ Combo unlocks

Character #3 focus test
Several days ago, we had our first focus test with #notamummy in both Orlando and Chicago. He scored right behind Maya in terms of user reaction (fun) and overall playability, which is great to see. He’s going to get multiple tweaks based on the feedback, so thank you to all of the testers that came out to help us tune him.

What is he? He’s a zoner… with a ranged grapple… and great (situational) mobility… and traps… oh, and curses too. Internally we call him a “trap grappler”, but I don’t even know if that’s the best way to describe him. When can you see for yourself? In his trailer and release in November. My mind boggles at the mixups and setups people will discover with him.

“But Ish!” you cry. “What’s his name?” You’ll have to wait for the trailer. I originally said you’d know by launch, but a bunch of our trailer plans have changed since I said that, so I apologize for not being able to share it with you as initially planned. Some people have gotten decently close with their guesses.

Premium Accessories
When released, premium accessories such as TJ’s Monster Hunter outfit will be immediately available to Ultra Edition owners – no level unlock needed, no KI gold necessary. Everyone else has the option to purchase them. There is no way to earn them through XP.

Ultra Edition Early Access specifics
When we launch a character, that character is exclusively playable to Ultra Edition owners for 6 days. On day 7, Combo pack owners will get access to them. Sometime after that, we will release the character for individual sale. Once a character is launched, everyone can play against them, regardless of purchase status.

Character releases and updates
The monthly updates aren't only about characters. You can expect bug fixes, balance tweaks, and improvements to the UI and overall game experience as well. Expect the changelists for these to be posted right before the update goes live, and the larger additions (such as new modes) to have more coverage before they launch.

Starting this off, next week, IGS_Kraig will be talking about UI changes and improvements you'll be seeing in November's update.

There's a pic of the new character's leg as well.
sorc_tease2.PNG

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Glad to hear UI improvements are coming soon.

Notamummy sounds fun..and a lot like a mummy.

Zedox

He seems very interesting. I said on the KI forums that what if one of his curses slowly increased your potential damage (without getting hit). So #notamummy would have to get in a short combo...or long. Most people would go for short (then it becomes a mind game of lights) just to get that extra damage. That would be scary.

I'm pretty pumped for the new character... Hopefully he is a bit easier... I'm no expert and I just can't get the timing down for either tj combo or Maya... I can get 60% damage combos with most other characters but I fuck it up with these new guys and get like 20%

dankir

These are nails right?

sorc_tease2.PNG

File name is SORC_tease2.png interesting.

Very glad to hear about the UI changes, hopefully this leads to the select screen getting updated.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Had a good read of SAB post. Mostly very enthusiastic and polar opposite of any of my opinions - well articulated. I'm still not convinced on key things that "benefit" KI.

I am truly out this time. Had two quality responses which deserve the props. Thanks.

NP!

Only issue with that is it wouldn't show your customized character. Trying to have that WITH the 3D models is probably the entire cause of the long load times.

Maybe they could load a static version of the model, and the basic accessories on that, and then work on loading the motion data to the character after selection?

Honestly, I like the utility of being able to see colors and accessories more than I worry about a few seconds of the characters not being on screen. It's nicer than street fighter, which just has art, but never loads a model. And MUCH better than Tekken... 6 was it? Which took much longer to load the models than even this game, never really loading them until like seconds before the match started.

How does KI fare with the controller? It's blasphemous to me to play a fighter with a controller, but the KI stick seems to have been a limited production run and I can't afford to drop $200 on MadCatx's replacement stick just yet.

I think it does well with the controller, and even with the analog stick. A Joystick would be pref. for many, but I wouldn't let the inability to get one keep one from playing.

This week's text stream is out: http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3506.0

There's a pic of the new character's leg as well.
sorc_tease2.PNG

Yeah, I definitely agree with the idea that he makes me think of Anakaris in description so far... which is perfect, really. It'll be nice to have someone with curses other than Spinal, and I like the idea of a ranged grapple, have to see how that works out. Omega Red Tentacle style? KoF's Whip style? Grundy's zombie hands from Unjustice? Hope it has more physicality to it than MK's Telekinetic grapples.

It'll be nice to have someone with curses other than Spinal, and I like the idea of a ranged grapple, have to see how that works out. Omega Red Tentacle style? KoF's Whip style? Grundy's zombie hands from Unjustice? Hope it has more physicality to it than MK's Telekinetic grapples.

Yesss. I miss Whip.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Can someone give me example of another fighter from a game that would be a ranged grappler so I can have some type of idea

omega-toss.gif

whip-spec4.gif
(pretend the person she's heel dropping is actually there)

ermac-raise.gif
(Yeah, I grapple by raising my hand, SO COOL! *roll eyes*)

Most of these are attacks that just act like unbreakable grapples once landed. So they normally can be blocked, unlike "real" grapples. Will be interesting to see how KI works this out.

Yesss. I miss Whip.

whip-d.gif
You and me both! I'll always enjoy pissing off beating people with her "Dazzling Bullwhippery" to reference one of those old win quotes... one of my friends acted as if she was the cheapest fighting game character ever conceived, was always funny.

File name is SORC_tease2.png interesting.
I wonder if Orc is in the file name for a reason?

Those hands...

sorc_tease1.PNG

Yeah, it's an Orc! My money's on that, :)

SORC = Sorcerer

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/games-killer-instinct-season-2-launch

Eight New Characters – Both Original and Returning: Longtime fans of the franchise will be happy to see that TJ Combo and Maya are joined by the cybernetic dinosaur Riptor and the blazing human effigy Cinder as playable characters this season. Along with the returning classics, all-new characters are coming to Killer Instinct: Season 2, including an ancient Babylonian sorcerer, an avenging ghost, a battle-hardened war golem, and more.

I'm becoming excited for the sorceror, but I know I probably won't end up enjoying him because he's a characters with traps and what-not.

I'm also excited for the true 'classic' costumes for the new characters. :)

whip-d.gif
You and me both! I'll always enjoy pissing off beating people with her "Dazzling Bullwhippery" to reference one of those old win quotes... one of my friends acted as if she was the cheapest fighting game character ever conceived, was always funny.

Hell yeah! :D She was fun as hell, and brought something that I never really would have thought to be a thing. I just love it. Her and Ghost Rider!

Think we all have that one friend who screams OP at one character in a game. Haha.

abadguy

Banned
jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

I'll have to say I disagree 100% with you on every point you've listed here. How much time have you put into KI on Xbox One?
Yeah. I mean sorry but new KI pretty much destroys the originals in every way. Old KI was from the beginning heavily influenced by SF( MK as well) just nowhere near as good. There were always particle effects in KI. Sparks flew off of characters after being hit with fireballs. So i dunno why he acts as if that was new. Character designs were generic to awful. Not saying new KI designs are the best in the biz but a far cry from the shitty Liefeld esque designs of the old ones. Sorry but i don't own any nostalgia goggles powerful enough for me to see the old games in a great light.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I got the retail copy yesterday after only having played this a couple of times at launch. I'm starting to find fighting against the CPU so frustrating, i moved the difficulty down to easy and all the CPU is doing is blocking pretty much every move, whether it be a combo opener or a shadow move. Anyone have any tips? I'm playing arcade mode as orchid against sadira btw.
When you're in arcade mode double check the difficulty in the top right corner of the screen when the ladder scrolls to next fighter up. There's a glitch I have experienced over and over where the game changes the setting to hard even when I set it to easy or medium. I noticed it when first learning Maya and the CPU was way too difficult for an easy setting.

That said complete the Dojo if you haven't already. For a constantly blocking opponent just find your characters cross-ups and high/low mix-ups. In training mode set the CPU to hard or killer for an hour or two, turn on frame data and just mess around.

Welfare

I would love Notamummy to play like Ermac. Favorite character to use in MK, and would love a character like that in KI.

Top Bottom