• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

btags

I am copying this over from the weekly fgc thread because I think people have glossed over it:

I have reached a point in my life that I never thought I would. I am seriously considering a fightstick for my xbox one. To those that are knowledgeable:

1. Are there any sticks that are preferable? I know that there is the madcatz te2, the razer atrox, and hori is coming out with one soon. Should I wait for the hori one to release or are the likely "best" ones out already?

2. I have been considering the madcatz te2, but are there any significant differences between the KI one and the normal one, or is it mostly cosmetic?

mdsfx

2. I have been considering the madcatz te2, but are there any significant differences between the KI one and the normal one, or is it mostly cosmetic?
Beyond the absence of an led board on the regular TE2, the only differences are cosmetic from what I could tell (I've owned both versions).

dankir

Stupid fucking non stop jumping Jagos?!@?! I love beating players like this in ranked and I HATE losing to them as well!

Goddammit?!@?!

Jumping cross up FP or neutral jump FP into down + QK xx windkick.
THAT'S ALL THEY DO!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Other than Crossup Jagos (yeah Dankir, that's always annoying, haha), how's everyone been getting used to the game now that Maya and TJ are more cemented in our gameplay world now?

My favorite people to play are pretty much around Maya, Thunder, and Spinal. Of course I pick the people who remind me more of KoF (Run/Air movement, Comboable Grapples, Dashing mixups, and unique stance / meter management mechanics), and I really appreciate more and more that all of this is finding a way to fit into one newer fighter.

Watching Max VS CDjr online in his Week of Maya Part 7, and watching them both play here, I keep wondering "So... do these new character PLAY like KI?" but at the same time, I'm also thinking "If not... should this be the way KI should play?" Watching them both go "IN THE HUNT!" and then go Tohou Fighter EX on each other was quite fun, and thinking about how dangerous ANY dagger blow would be due to Air Recapture, her Dive pounce, or the chance to counter breaker into shenanigans really makes the moment-to-moment game sorta intense to watch.

But this all changes again when we get #notamummy. Is he just going to be a new flavor to an old concept (Glacius 2.0?) or will he once again bring a flair to the game that we have to question "is this really KI?" to once again?

It's great to me, because I think some of the most fun times of any fighter occur during the "discovery" phases. Having to learn new matchups, see how new tech change old tech, or see if a character can be totally redefined by a single dedicated player; K1 S2 is like a promise to seeing that happen not just most strongly during the first release weeks of the game, but over the next 6 months of new characters and content. So nice to have something like that so early in a systems life. Makes me a bit bummed that most of our JP Fighter pubs don't have anything set up like this yet (I really hope I like GGXrd once I get my hands on it's PS3 version!).

mdsfx

I've seen a few gliches actually. for one, if I start a match with Maya and immediately pause the game, when I unpause, more than half of my first life bar disappears

Skab

You think that's from his soundtrack? Actually now that listening to it I can hear Riptor's original theme.

One of his comments to another person when he posted this on twitter was, "it growls, it roars..." and we know he's working on Riptor's theme at the moment. So it's a pretty safe bet.

I finally got an Xbox One and couldn't wait to try my hand at Killer Instinct. I played through Dojo for a while, getting to the Manual linker training and then tried my hand at an online match. I'm still rocking the free version, plus a Shadow Jago code I've had lying around for a while.

I am doing okay at the controller, but I always play my fighting games with an arcade stick. What's the general consensus on the arcade stick options for the Xbox One? Is the MadCatz one better than the Razer, for example? How is the Hori stick faring from any early release information that may be out there?

New002

I finally got an Xbox One and couldn't wait to try my hand at Killer Instinct. I played through Dojo for a while, getting to the Manual linker training and then tried my hand at an online match. I'm still rocking the free version, plus a Shadow Jago code I've had lying around for a while.

I am doing okay at the controller, but I always play my fighting games with an arcade stick. What's the general consensus on the arcade stick options for the Xbox One? Is the MadCatz one better than the Razer, for example? How is the Hori stick faring from any early release information that may be out there?

Not sure about the others but I have a MadCatz stick and it works just fine. My only complaint is no headset jack :(

Oh i didnt even notice this thread existed. Ill just copy and paste what I said in the fighting thread

Mick Gordon Teased a Snippet Song for the Next Character in Killer Instinct https://vine.co/v/OMiEqDqIw0v

Sounds like Riptor to me xD Mick Gordon is really talented. Killer Instinct is probably the best online fighting game I've played (In my opinion) so cant wait for my favorite character to finally arrive xD

Here is a fun little match I had recently as well with TJ Combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEygJU0Qo8

Is there a way i can embed video on Gaf?

eastx

Not sure about the others but I have a MadCatz stick and it works just fine. My only complaint is no headset jack :(

AFAIK no third-party controllers have headset jacks yet. Not sticks, controllers, racing wheels, nothing. Microsoft needs to get that sorted out so that MadCatz and other companies can start offering headset support.

mdsfx

AFAIK no third-party controllers have headset jacks yet. Not sticks, controllers, racing wheels, nothing. Microsoft needs to get that sorted out so that MadCatz and other companies can start offering headset support.
+1

Not everyone had a kinect, MS! Remember how you started selling consoles without them? Yeah...

New002

How do you chat while playing with others, then?

Kinect, or headset plugged in to second controller. But then I think you have to keep that controller plugged in with a plug and play or something so that it doesn't go to sleep. I want a little wireless headset like from last gen @_@.

The fact that neither my wheel or stick have a headset jack is kind of annoying.

Season 2 is really sleek looking. The biggest change for me though was fixing the gamma. You can really see the difference in the Jago and Fullgore levels. Tons of detail that wasn't visible before because of crushed blacks now shows up correctly.

.la1n

Oh i didnt even notice this thread existed. Ill just copy and paste what I said in the fighting thread

Mick Gordon Teased a Snippet Song for the Next Character in Killer Instinct https://vine.co/v/OMiEqDqIw0v

Sounds like Riptor to me xD Mick Gordon is really talented. Killer Instinct is probably the best online fighting game I've played (In my opinion) so cant wait for my favorite character to finally arrive xD

No doubt in my mind Riptor is the December character.

Gnome

Is this where I go to tell Dave Lang to get fucked?

But seriously, this game has me considering the purchase of an Xbox One.

Sabrewulf Domination https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl1kyjiukVs

I personally would still rank Sabewulf top tier this season. He just isnt as scrubby as he was last season.

Though i also believe Maya needs a nerf. I think she has a little too much going in her favor right now

Im also anticipating some kind of KI announcement today in the textual stream, mayb even video stream being Halloween. Last year we got Spinal if im remembering correctly

vg260

FYI, CronusMax is $15 off via coupon on their site if you wanted to use a 360 stick.

Hopefully that and my console come next week. Super excited to finally jump into this game.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
UI 2.1 Detailed

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3651.0

UI 2.1 and Upcoming Features

Hey everyone, the KI team reads the forums daily and have been blown away by all the feedback you have on UI 2.0. Personally, I can’t remember the last time I saw so much focus on UI – pretty cool, especially for our interface team.

As many of you have noticed, redoing an entire UI while packing in a ton of new features can be, uh… challenging. I’m really proud of what our team has accomplished in giving Season 2 a new look, a huge Progression system, and a new store. It’s all very shiny, except for a few scuffs here and there. So before I tell you about what’s next, let me walk you through why we felt so strongly about taking on such an overhaul, since some of you have wondered.

Two things created the need for UI 2.0: we wanted to visually express the “Rise of Ultratech” (and Fulgore insisted at double bladepoint), and Killer Instinct absolutely needed a UI that could not only support all of the current launch features, but also handle more launching later this Season. (And perhaps even beyond.) The single-landing page menu structure couldn’t support everything we had planned. That is, unless we wanted to bury new features under lots, and lots of lists. We don’t like lists. And thus it necessitated the unique UI changes we made, starting with the Single-Player, Multiplayer, and Store top-level landing pages. As the Season progresses, you’re going to find lots of cool, new things filling up these areas… like our new Ladder system. So let’s talk about that a bit.

Ranked Ladder System – This is really going to change the way you play KI online in a big way. Some of you have wondered why Player Rank Names have been downplayed, and a lot of it is because we knew this feature was coming. We wish we made the transition a little smoother, but once it’s online we’re sure you’ll think it was worth the wait. In this mode, you’ll fight your way up a Ladder of Ranked matches to reach ‘Killer’ status. Once you make it to this elite ‘Killer’ ladder status, it will be a monthly race to be in the Top 32 Killers for the month. Pretty intense. More on this mode as we get closer when it launches early next year. It’ll be populating the multiplayer menus before you know it.

Let’s move onto overall improvements to existing features.

Player Card Improvements – Some of you mentioned that this was too small for some TVs and we agree, so we’ve bumped it up as big as it could possibly fit on all screens -- an increase of about 15-20% for those of you scoring at home. But that’s not all! Here’s some other improvements:
- Now visible in Character Select, VS. Loading Screen, and Post-Match Report!
- Character Level bar is bigger
- When you expand the Player Card to see Character Levels, the Characters are now displayed in order of last played. So if you just played with TJ Combo, his card will be on top.
- Added Character Level clarifications within expanded Player Card
- Taunt text at top of card is bigger, font changed.
- “Ranked Level” now called “MP Rank” for clarification.

NOTE: ALL RED BOXES ARE ONLY THERE TO HIDE GAMERTAG AND ARE NOT IN THE SCREENS!
iSENcw8.png

Progression via Player Card – Just a little clean up – there’s nothing to see here. :)
- Fixed issues with meter refilling as player backs in-and-out of screens
- More animation on Character Level Fill

Character Select 3x3 Grid and More! – It’s nearly unanimous: you all love big character portraits. We redesigned this screen by adding Player 1 and Player 2’s Player Cards to the bottom to take advantage of every inch of your TV’s real estate. We also added a blinking icon that shows the current Free Character. This screen feels so much better now. (Especially with the new character in his slot next to Maya!)

Now 12 Customization Slots Per Character! – Many of you have wondered why the number of customization slots were reduced. Long story short, we wanted to make the system more flexible and had to work out the bugs first, so we started with a maximum of four. Now we’ve gone nuts and given you as many as the screen would possibly support. I better see some damned good custom characters out there now. You don’t have any excuses! Here’s a little more info:
• This fancy pants Customization Slot system breaks apart Colors and Customization Slots, letting you customize your characters, then apply any color you want to the Character Customization you saved! This gives you more flexibility than the first iteration of the system that bound the two together.
• There are now 6 slots devoted to Default Costumes and 6 slots for Retro costumes, giving you a possible 12 customizations for each character between the two! KI has never been more customizable. Whew.
LyQjzKt.png

Post-Match Report – We got so fired up about showing you every single thing that rewards XP that we didn’t get around to making it as super-easy to understand as we should have. So we went bonkers and added all of this stuff:
• Prioritized Player 1 and Player 2 Killer Stats
• Added Player 1 and Player 2 Player Cards
• Added button to dive deeper into stats
• Improved Character Level reward animation
• Added ability to button through animations without exiting screen completely.
• Added Player Wins and Streak
• Revealed Difficulty Modifier for XP gain in stats
• General clean-up of screen noise
uEDc0W2.png

Store / Collection Improvements – Some love here to help you quickly figure out what you can unlock or simply buy.
- Added Character and Player Level clearly on highlighted item to help you figure out how close you are to unlocking it.
- Shows bundles that you currently own.
- Some image clean ups here and there.

The Return of Cinematics – Now you can rewatch all of the endings you unlocked. Sorry we didn't get this in at launch, but here it is!

0UDFvwh.png

3ZZask6.png

Thanks for your patience in waiting for the post. These are some of the highlights of the next update and I can’t wait until it rolls out in November. Of course, there’s additional fixes and polish and we’ll talk more about those for the Build Notes when that launches. Please keep the feedback coming. The team appreciates it.

Best,

Kraig Kujawa

DrDogg

I was excited about the Starcraft-style ranking system. It seems like they're just going with a standard ranking system until you hit top 32 (where it becomes 3/5 games). If that's actually the case, it's a big disappointing. That seems to be what this information suggests, but we may not have all of the important details yet.

I hope we get a date for NotAMummy soon. Haven't had much drive to play lately.

dankir

I was excited about the Starcraft-style ranking system. It seems like they're just going with a standard ranking system until you hit top 32 (where it becomes 3/5 games). If that's actually the case, it's a big disappointing. That seems to be what this information suggests, but we may not have all of the important details yet.

I hope we get a date for NotAMummy soon. Haven't had much drive to play lately.

Update the damn e guide in the meantime!

THe KI community should definitely be happy as these were all some of the most common complains. Especially customization where people have been really whiny about since the launch of season 2

Top Bottom