• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

mdsfx

Got an Xbox One this weekend and downloaded this game, but I'm getting 1-2 second freezes/hiccups occasionally during matches. Haven't played online yet, so this is just me vs the CPU. Actually, it does it even within the menus. I already deleted all the files and redownloaded them, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Anybody else having this?

I should mention that Sunset Overdrive and Crimson Dragon run without any hiccups.

That is not something I have experienced at all. This is the only game that has issues??

Yeah, so far at least. Can't find any other reports online, so I'm puzzled. And worried. But if it's just this game, could it even be a hardware issue?

I cannot get this UI update to go through at all. Ughhhh.

I also keep getting a glitch where arcade and Survival aren't playable and say "content isn't installed yet"

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I cannot get this UI update to go through at all. Ughhhh.

I also keep getting a glitch where arcade and Survival aren't playable and say "content isn't installed yet"
Which update..the big S2 one from Oct 15th, or the recently revealed 2.1? Cause 2.1 aint out yet.

Edit: nm, reading your post again seems like it's just getting S2 to install. If you haven't yet, uninstall the entire game, hard reset then reinstall.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah, so far at least. Can't find any other reports online, so I'm puzzled. And worried. But if it's just this game, could it even be a hardware issue?

Have you tried forcing your Xbox off? Ie holding the power button for 4 seconds and doing a cold boot?

Sometimes that can fix issues

Which update..the big S2 one from Oct 15th, or the recently revealed 2.1? Cause 2.1 aint out yet.

Edit: nm, reading your post again seems like it's just getting S2 to install. If you haven't yet, uninstall the entire game, hard reset then reinstall.

The 2.1. I kept reading that post and thought it was out... But for some reason S2's arcade mode disappeared. I had it previously...

Have you tried forcing your Xbox off? Ie holding the power button for 4 seconds and doing a cold boot?

Sometimes that can fix issues

Hmm, tried that full reboot now and still have the same issues. Also bought and played Advanced Warfare for a few hours without any hiccups whatsoever. First match against the CPU in Killer Instinct I had three short freezes already. This is quite frustrating! KI is one of the games I bought this thing for.

.la1n

Hmm, tried that full reboot now and still have the same issues. Also bought and played Advanced Warfare for a few hours without any hiccups whatsoever. First match against the CPU in Killer Instinct I had three short freezes already. This is quite frustrating! KI is one of the games I bought this thing for.

Sounds very peculiar. Never had any issues like that with KI. You said you had already tried wiping the game and reinstalling?

I am stumped. Might try reporting the issue on the KI forums and see if anyone else is having the issue.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. Going to give it another go tomorrow, just in case. If not, I'll post there indeed, or get in touch with Microsoft directly.

.la1n

When does 2.1 UI go live and when's NotAMummy releasing?

It's November dammit!

Depends on how much of a gap they are planning between his release for ultra pack owners vs combo. It's also possible we may get to play as him early but not have the full UI update until later in the month. I think next week for a trailer might be a good bet. Looking forward to trying the character out, don't think anyone outside Cinder will make me budge off my main Fulgore though :p

Depends on how much of a gap they are planning between his release for ultra pack owners vs combo. It's also possible we may get to play as him early but not have the full UI update until later in the month. I think next week for a trailer might be a good bet. Looking forward to trying the character out, don't think anyone outside Cinder will make me budge off my main Fulgore though :p

Six days of early access for ultra owners according to the textual stream from a couple weeks ago.

I really hope we get the update along with the early access.

kind of amazing we haven't seen any art for the character, and we still don't even know it's name. part of me is glad they aren't teasing, but part of me misses it :/

they're going to end up dropping a trailer the last week of the month arent they?

.la1n

kind of amazing we haven't seen any art for the character, and we still don't even know it's name. part of me is glad they aren't teasing, but part of me misses it :/

they're going to end up dropping a trailer the last week of the month arent they?

Nah I would imagine they'd want to have the trailer out before early access begins for Ultra owners. Even as a non Ultra owner the timeline Is still one character per month so it wouldn't be feasible to have the trailer be the last week. This is assuming the six days of early access for Ultra owners holds true.

hwalker84

Nah I would imagine they'd want to have the trailer out before early access begins for Ultra owners. Even as a non Ultra owner the timeline Is still one character per month so it wouldn't be feasible to have the trailer be the last week. This is assuming the six days of early access for Ultra owners holds true.
I'm guessing mid month we get a trailer and then the character that day or the next.

vg260

Is this a bug?
I was trying to do the dojo mode mission 19, and for some reason the B and RT (MK and HK) were not registering on wither of the gamepads I was using. Sometime they worked, others times no move came out. This was in the same game session. Admittedly I was getting sleepy and this was right before i shut down and went to bed, so perhaps I was missing something obvious.

vg260

Can't wait for notamumy. Spider-lady, were(?)wolf, skeleton, and a mummy in the same game. 12-yo me is geeking out. This is kinda scratching the Darkstalkers/creature itch. Needs a mer-man next.

I was gonna add that, but I guess Sadira has a vampire alt.

Only thing I kinda miss with this engine so far from other fighters are cinematic supers. I feel like they give the characters more personality.

She has no vampire alt, she's just a goth. XP

Killer Instinct with Cinematic Supers would be weird, having Supers would be weird.

It'd be cool if we got to change our intros/outros, taunts. Even with character specific intros as well.

.la1n

I know one of the ideas they were tossing around for the story mode this time around was having character specific intros for certain fights. Not sure if they ended up going with that or sticking with the multiple endings per character idea.

I would like to see more intro / outros for the characters but I'd imagine with all the work they have ahead of them right now it may not be too high on the priority list. I am looking forward to seeing some more stage ultras, it's always fun when you are able to pull one off on TJ's stage in an online match.

vg260

She has no vampire alt, she's just a goth. XP

Killer Instinct with Cinematic Supers would be weird, having Supers would be weird.

It'd be cool if we got to change our intros/outros, taunts. Even with character specific intros as well.

Yeah, I'm not saying it would work in the engine as-is , though I don't think it would be impossible. I just like them for character reasons.

Weren't some of her accessories named vampire something or other?

vulva

I just got an xbone the other day. Installed the free version of KI. Still deciding if I'll bother to get the full thing or not though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is fun. I just bought Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack from my local Gamestop store. I installed the game on my console, just to find out that they put the F2P version of the game on the DISC. The only character that was unlocked after installing the game was the F2P character. When you buy games on discs, you wouldn`t expect having to connect online in order to enter stupid codes.

El Sabroso

This is fun. I just bought Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack from my local Gamestop store. I installed the game on my console, just to find out that they put the F2P version of the game on the DISC. The only character that was unlocked after installing the game was the F2P character. When you buy games on discs, you wouldn`t expect having to connect online in order to enter stupid codes.

wait there is a code in that disc package to unlock the combo breaker pack ? that's really not good

Gamezone

Gold Member
wait there is a code in that disc package to unlock the combo breaker pack ? that's really not good

The code is only for TJ Combo.

But there is just one character on the disc. The disc has only one character and the F2P version of the game. The rest of the characters will download when you connect online. It`s stupid. Why did they bother with the disc at all?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Textual Stream 11/7/14
http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3784.0
Hello everyone,

It’s Friday the 7th of November, and time for another Killer Instinct Season 2 textual stream!

So what are we up to? Well, Kraig showed you a ton of the UI work that’s in progress for the 2.1 update later this month, and that’s going to continue throughout the season as we refine and add features. I’ll say “pardon our dust” for coming along on the ride with us that is shaping season 2’s content and features up until it’s “done” around April . By getting in early though, you get to take part in the development and get your opinion heard directly by the development team at IG and MS.

Q&A!
Will there be an upgrade option from Combo to Ultra? Yes, we’re putting it into place right now. More details soon.

What is Cinder? Why is his hand mutated? The experiments performed on Ben in our new story were a bit more… radical… than his previous incarnation.

Is KI in EVO 2015?! The EVO participant list hasn’t been announced yet. We certainly hope we’ll be there. How you can help ensure we’re there is support your local tournament scene and spread the good word about KI. We’re one year in from a 20 year hiatus – that’s a lot of catch-up work we need to do!

Are you fixing bugs? Why is <insert bug here> not fixed yet? We are fixing bugs and tweaking balance with every monthly update, but because of lead time we can only do so much every month. Please continue to give us feedback and let us know of weird things you see. They will be addressed!

What&#8217;s up with the blue guy that looks like Shadow Jago? It&#8217;s not Shadow Jago. It&#8217;s also not Gargos. For those of you that have Shadow Jago, you can see he&#8217;s comfortably placed in the S1 cast with his own slot and will remain there. The new&#8230; thing&#8230; is part of the Jago story however, and is its own S2 character.

Oops! I forgot about #IDARB!

Thanks for those of you that pointed this out. My bad. In honor of the S2 launch, the full cast of Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) is getting an #IDARB team! Check &#8216;em out!
idarbki2.png

#3!

His intro dialogue &#8220;You&#8217;ll make a fine specimen!&#8221;

And here&#8217;s the next part of his concept art pic! Full piece next week!
sorc_tease3.PNG

And that&#8217;s it for this week! Have fun!

I wish they gave more narrow time frames on when they plan on showing and releasing characters. I really hate that we're a week into November and we don't know when they're going to show the character in action, when they plan on releasing the trailer or when they plan on releasing the actual character.

I understand that those things take time I just wish they'd share when we'll start seeing that stuff. Whether it be next week or the week after or whatever the case may be.

Shadow Jago with his own name!

Or... Light Jago.

I can't wait to see the full design of NotAMummy next week. Looks like next week from that will be the time where we get to see the trailer of him.

That gameplay will be amazing, I just know it.

vg260

I wish they gave more narrow time frames on when they plan on showing and releasing characters. I really hate that we're a week into November and we don't know when they're going to show the character in action, when they plan on releasing the trailer or when they plan on releasing the actual character.

I understand that those things take time I just wish they'd share when we'll start seeing that stuff. Whether it be next week or the week after or whatever the case may be.

I imagine they don't want to promise anything and not be able to deliver with 100% certainty, even if only a narrow window. When things get promised and get delayed, people flip out.

I imagine they don't want to promise anything and not be able to deliver with 100% certainty, even if only a narrow window. When things get promised and get delayed, people flip out.

Yeah, you're right. I'll just have to a be a bit more patient.

I'm sure development for KI hasn't been easy either. They've had a lot to get done in a short amount of time. Gotta cut em some slack in that regard too.

Salz01

So when you purchase one character, do you get the alternate costume too? And the accessories? Or do you have to purchase the whole big packs. Is there some something I won't get if I just get the individual character and not the whole pack? Hope that makes sense.

.la1n

So when you purchase one character, do you get the alternate costume too? And the accessories? Or do you have to purchase the whole big packs. Is there some something I won't get if I just get the individual character and not the whole pack? Hope that makes sense.

When you purchase one character you can earn the accessories that are available through the combo pack through normal game play. What you won't get is the fourth set of ultra pack accessories as well as the alternate "retro" skin for that character and the accessories that come with that.

DrDogg

Pretty much this. I'm sure the deadlines are super tight, but over a week into the month and we have no trailer, no idea when the character will hit and not even a full render.

I don't know if it's an issue with IG, MS or some outside PR company, but that's not good marketing. How am I supposed to get hyped for a character I know almost nothing about, who's supposed to be released sometime over the next three weeks?

I don't see why having a date for a trailer would be an issue. I understand the release of the character might be in question, but the trailer should be done at this point (or far enough along to have a release date).

If the PR department is the bottleneck here then they need to get that straightened out. There's no excuse for not being able to plan and release a simple trailer while giving us exact (or close to exact) dates for when these things will be available.

My hype for #NotAMummy is completely gone right now. He's supposed to be in our hands in less than three weeks and I know he's a trap character and nothing else. Give me a date for a trailer. Let me know the character won't be available until late November (I would assume they'd know at least that much by now).

I'm going to guess this is a general MS PR problem as Adam has been on-point and IG seems to be keeping us in the loop as well. Still disappointing...

vg260

I think people tend to underestimate all the moving parts involved here. I don't think it's as easy as many think, especially when console patching is involved and there's a whole long certification process involved. Even if they promised a trailer date, and missed it, people would be upset, even moreseo than being in the dark for a week or so. They have been active in giving WIP updates. I have no question they want to deliver the content in a timely fashion. If I were them I would err on the side of caution too and not promise anything with a given date until I knew for sure when it was being delivered, not even a trailer. People get too upset when anything is promised and not delivered.

.la1n

I have seen smaller companies do significantly better work with their PR than Microsoft has done with this game. There really isn't an excuse for it. Whoever is in charge of what gets released and when is doing a terrible job.

This isn't anything new either, it's been happening since Season 1 so I assumed there was nowhere to go from there but up. Unfortunately I was wrong. It's actually gotten significantly worse. Where before we would at least get a glimpse into the latest builds through the streams now we get partial images of concept art. Partial images of concept art of a character that's supposed to release this month.

Want to keep the remaining cast under wraps? I completely understand. You have to create a slow burn, especially when it's one character per month. For the character releasing this month, however, I expect a lot more. There is no reason not to have a time frame for the character's release or if not that then a time frame for the trailer. If they don't have the trailer ready to go at this point then there are some serious mismanagement of work load going on over there.

At the very least we should know how the character is going to play. If you can't be assed to give us in game screen shots or a trailer then at least take the time to summarize the character in a paragraph. It's laughable they keep telling everyone who bought in early they are "along for the journey" when it hardly feels like we are shaping anything but instead being strung along the back of the vehicle. How am I supposed to give feedback or help shape anything if I don't even know what I am supposed to be giving feedback on until the day it drops. Sure let me give you feedback on a completed character I had no idea about until release day.

Sorry for the long post but I genuinely enjoy KI yet time and time again it seems the powers that be in charge of the game want to just frustrate me with asinine decision making. Maybe they need to get together with the guys over at NetherRealms since they are close by, they seem to know how to manage flow of information. Better yet look at the Lab Zero guys, shoe string budget and yet they were still able to show significantly better information for upcoming characters in their game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
they're not following my optimal plan ;_;

instead of constant things to do, watch and see... it's all going to be stacked into one week

damnit doods

week 1: announce character
week 2: show character on stream
week 3: release character
week 4: play against community and tease next character

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
We know we're getting a character in this month. Regardless of when a trailer comes out... he'll arrive at the same time. I wouldn't be too surprised if his trailer appears when his full design does, or the first days of the week after, since they'll be no design surprises left then.

But the info seems incongruent to the close delivery time of the character. He'll be tested, delivered, and playable within these 4 weeks, but we haven't seen a single special move, heard a voice sample, or seen him in motion.

Compare that to the Skullgirls character stuff, where we see rough pencilsketch animation work and maybe-sorta frames tossed in as soon as MikeZ can get them in-engine. I think we're a bit TOO much in the Dark.

How's the new MK hype? I've none for it, character just appear, I watch, that's that. But what kind of time frame are they showing off characters? Other than Boon's teasing on Twitter, what prepares anyone for the next reveal? Is it really much different than what we've gotten here in KI?

Hopefully, nottaMum can be the simple test for how we should receive info, and the next characters will be much more consistent and well-spaced with the delivery. Name, moveset illustrations, basic bio, and an overview by the combat designer on 1st week. Then each week, describe one of their special moves. Do this all with a detail-less model in screenshots / sketches, only to reveal the fully fleshed-out look the week / day of the fully realized trailer. The Textual streams are definitely the most proper bit of ideas we've gotten so far, hopefully, "more like this" will appear with future characters.

.la1n

Just think guys, two weeks into November and we will have a whole concept art of the character to be released this month.

Top Bottom