• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
so what are the chances manraa gets released early?

Looking doubtful as time goes on lol

Before we knew the exact time it was going up, and we were able to get the patch at about 8pm EST

Since this isn't bound to any real street date like S2 launch was, we just need someone to try the uninstall/reinstall trick every hour and waste 2 GB every time lol

Pachinko

Looking doubtful as time goes on lol

Before we knew the exact time it was going up, and we were able to get the patch at about 8pm EST

Since this isn't bound to any real street date like S2 launch was, we just need someone to try the uninstall/reinstall trick every hour and waste 2 GB every time lol

Or... you could just do something else tonight , go to work/school tomorrow and download him when you get home :p

I know I'm interested to try out KAN-RA , no possible relation to Mum-ra the everliving ....
artworks-000003032769-9e96cx-original.jpg

Just checked and I don't have Kan-Ra yet (east coast.)

According to Grimmmz, he turned his Xbox off for 3 hours(played Smash in the meantime) and had Ken-ra. Apparently just leaving it off for 3 hours makes it work. I can't test for obvious reasons but I'm in Europe anyway so it'd be pointless to even try.

Kan-Ra's pretty fun to play but he's definitely a bit above my skill level. He has so much going on that it's really tough to put everything together effectively.

Good Kan-Ra players are going to be super scary though I think.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kan-Ra = OPTIONS INSTINCT.

Really, so much stuff that leads to similar mixup filled situations and such. An ender that sets up an auto EX space control tool automatically (I thought it gave you a choice for it on stream, not forced the jump + special) is so odd, but yet, such a nice idea to nudge players towards figuring out how to play a character such as this.

One thing I can see people possibly complaining about already is how much stuff he can do to trade and break advantages.

• He can summon the spike, and get hit, and the spike will still attack the opponent, and it tracks!
  • Scarab fireballs can trade for his advantage.
  • None of his power-up options (sand, scarabs, curse?) are depleted by him getting hit.
  • He splays sand everywhere when he does stuff, which is a nice smokescreen to make him hard to read.

Now of course, he does have quite a few weaknesses:
  • Ranged normal pass through close opponents often. not even an attempt to add blockstun if they're too close.
  • EVERY button of each special is almost a new move, so yeah, learning curve, easy to do something that has too much startup or such.
  • His EX Spin doesn't go anywhere,
  • His EX's don't offer much easy reversal changes, they generally get stopped by meaties and hits pretty soundly.
  • EVERYTHING is multi hit.. he's such shadow counter bait.

Will it all balance out? Possibly, but the salt should be real and heavy once we see people dominate with him.

Bonus Notes: The updated Glacius' Stage Ultra animation, at least on Kan-RA's stage. Much cooler now!

vg260

It breaks my heart that my two favorite character types, skeletons and mummies are the most technical in this game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guessing that was you online Zedox, GG!

LoL, Kan-Ra so scrubby. Really, the amount of times lazy Scarab Spam can save your life is ridiculous. Morrigan-Super jumping to close the distance after SUPAA FEEVA SCUBA STEEVA is also something no one expects yet.

vg260

spinal is pretty straightforward

kan-ra is just straight up complex compared to spinal

Oh, ok. I haven't put in much time with Spinal yet, still working through other stuff.
I hope they add more dojo character stuff for other characters, as I only feel comfortable with Jago right now since he's the default in there.

El Sabroso

Kan-Ra makes me think the same, this character is so deep that really needs to be a top priority to add dojo for other characters asap. The game needs to have that friendly way to introduce ppl or will have the same issue as KoF where ppl is scared to approach the game due to the difficulty KI is geting more fun but could be harder to get in for 1st timers

Messed around with Kan-Ra for a little bit in training mode, and he's definitely different. Haven't spent a lot of time with him, so I can't really comment much on his complexity.

A couple things though, is that his linkers will definitely confuse people at first. He doesn't have the standard 1-3 hit linkers. The only exception to that is his scarab cloud linker, but that linker is also extremely fast and needs to be cancelled out of quickly lest you drop your combo.

I like him so far, based on spending 15 minutes in training mode with him.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Before training dojo stuff gets here, I actually find fighting the CPU to kinda be a good tutorial in some ways. They obviously pull off some pre-approved combos and frame trap strats, so picking those up from it can be helpful to start.

However, it would be very smart of them to have the Dojo for new characters in when they release. Maybe in the future?

Have you guys seen the accessories yet?

Yup. The 2nd set is the Big Trouble in Little China reference people where hoping it to be, I'd say. First isn't bad either.

I just want his retro to be Mum-Ra. Heh heh.

Yup. The 2nd set is the Big trouble to Little China Ref people where hoping it to be, I'd say. First isn't bad either.

I just want his retro to be Mum-Ra. Heh heh.

Wait really? Haha. That's awesome. Now I need pictures of the accessories! XP

His classic outfit will amazing that's for sure! With Kevin Bayliss on board, whooo, we're in for a treat. :)

dankir

Just played him online ranked for 3 hours. Won 22 matches out of about 35 I'd say

He's amazing once you have control of the screen. But upclose holy shit.

Jago up close is really tough, especially if you don't have a sand trap to get out with all three kicks.

Just all about Jago's move's upclose will beat his back down LP or close range normals.

Speaking of close range normals it really helps that its down back and normal attack, all of his regular normals will whiff upclose and you're going to eat a big combo so make sure you not mashing. I only used the close range normals when counter attacking otherwise use them sparingly.

His jumping FP xx into floating fireball is a great combo in the air and will give you enough time to setup a sand trap below you. Remember you can attack going up, XX in fireball and then attack on the way down.
I love hitting people with the scorpion tail nobody expects it and it gives a long ass slowdown!

HIS THROW RANGE IS GARBAGE so you better be sure its going to connect after the throw if you have meter you SHOULD INSTANTLY CANCEL INTO HIS SHADOW THROW ATTACK. Otherwise there's almost no follow up that works!! Plus having a speedy character slowed down really helps set you up!

Awesome move is MK spike attack that throws the enemy back to you and then recapture with shadow spin attack, happens really quickly. Also it's pretty easy to break a shadow spin attack, you literally need to mash the breaker buttons and you'll break it almost instantly, people are getting good at it so get your counter breaker ready.

Glacius is a good match I beat some pretty high ranked Glacius's with him,.

Sabrewulf is also a good match if you set up your floating fireballs and maintain pressure.

Spinal and Jago to me are his worst match ups. Really tough to get out of the corner if you don't have a sand trap near you otherwise you'd be really good at blocking or combo breaking. Even his Shadow spinning move can get beaten by a meaty jump in attack.

I love him though, definitely going to play him to get even better. XBL is acting really weird now though.

add me if you up to play: D O N K E R.

Also if your playing against another Kan Ra make sure you know which player you are. Sometime's there are 5 - 6 traps on screen, Blue is P1 and Red is P2 very important!

dankir

Did they reduce the XP gain in this patch?

Not even sure, you only see your MP rank, I thought the bar above it was MP rank for the longest time but it's your overall KI rank.

It's all going to change come January anyways.

New character select looks nicer now with the new portraits and it takes up more space.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Is it strange that I've adored fighting games forever but never seem to get that good at them?

I swear hearing some of you talk about these games is another language. I fight the same way I have since Street Fighter 2. Ditto for 3D fighters like VF. Carried the same style throughout all of them regardless of franchise.

So stuck in my ways but I still love them.

Killer Instinct has easily shoved its way into my all time Top 3. Amazing game.

vg260

On the official forums some people were saying that they seem to gain less per match, maybe about 1/2 to 2/3 of what they were getting pre-patch.

I hope this is not true, as I absolutely hate the grinding needed to unlock and the F2P money element they introduced in S2 is really off-putting. I despise that sort of tactic and normally don't touch games that have it. It feels slimy in general, but especially if they left it out of patch notes. In this case it would be proof of such a F2P mechanic hurting the experience at the expense of selling consumables. Get that out of here.

dankir

On the official forums some people were saying that they seem to gain less per match, maybe about 1/2 to 2/3 of what they were getting pre-patch.

I hope this is not true, as I absolutely hate the grinding needed to unlock and the F2P money element they introduced in S2 is really off-putting. I despise that sort of tactic and normally don't touch games that have it. It feels slimy in general, but especially if they left it out of patch notes. In this case it would be proof of such a F2P mechanic hurting the experience at the expense of selling consumables. Get that out of here.

Well it took quite some time to unlock the new color achievement and I had been playing for about 2 hours at that point. So probably is slower yeah.

vg260

Well it took quite some time to unlock the new color achievement and I had been playing for about 2 hours at that point. So probably is slower yeah.

Ugh. Makes me not want to download the update now, and just play single player to learn the old characters at the old XP rate first if true.

.la1n

It does take longer to rank up, noticed when I was trying to get Kan-Ra to level 5.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good tips an observations Dankir! I kinda find Fulgore more of a challenge than Jago in a way, just because Fulgore can mess with my scarab stuff more with all his multi-fireball options, and he can answer things with full screen tele.

Oh yeah, and I noticed you can move his EX Spin as well. Still doesn't go anywhere, lol. Won't be using THAT to burst through projectiles like so many other characters can with similar EX moves.

Is it strange that I've adored fighting games forever but never seem to get that good at them?

Heh heh, I can see how that'd happen. Though I'd think you'd absorb and mimic some things you see others doing along the way, helping give yourself some more tricks without training room grinding in the like!

Fighters are good fun at any skill level, if you're a fan of what you can achieve and be a part of. fight that good fight!

I've gotten Maya to 19 with playing her limitedly online, and mostly offline. Today, I've gotten Kan-Ra to 15 in one extended Online / offline sitting. Maybe the numbers have just been adjusted across levels?

Whatever they do with EXP for now doesn't bother me, that's probably one of the easiest things to change each patch, and if they get complaints, it can shift by the time the next chara is out. And some things will probably change anyway once the new colors and such are out.

I'd definitely prefer them to make some of it a bit easier to obtain, however. Too grindy is annoying, and skewing them towards the microtransactions, and not the reasonability of playtime, would be the wrong idea.

Thanks a lot, you two! ^^ Appreciate it!

I have to say out of the two, the Incan set is what I like most. I really can't wait to see the Egyptian set. :D

My favorite color are the default and red skin/blue bandages.

Quite welcome! I like the Incan too. Been rocking it all Ranked matches I could, though I just unlocked the first part of the Chinese set before stopping for now.

Top Bottom