• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

vg260

Whatever they do with EXP for now doesn't bother me, that's probably one of the easiest things to change each patch, and if they get complaints, it can shift by the time the next chara is out. And some things will probably change anyway once the new colors and such are out.

I'd definitely prefer them to make some of it a bit easier to obtain, however. Too grindy is annoying, and skewing them towards the microtransactions, and not the reasonability of playtime, would be the wrong idea.

It's too grindy for colors and outfits. Save that for titles and icons. I got peeved they made it harder and added consumables/microtransactions with this patch. It's a slippery slope, and it look like they started sliding with this patch.

This is not the way I want to see F2P fighters going. Costume DLC like in DOA5U (ignoring the awful pricing) I'm ok with because they're not messing with completely arbitrary in-game variables to milk more money based on frustration. This just dropped below DOA5U in terms of acceptable F2P fighter models for me. I don't like playnig a game I like as a game but being pissed off by the model.

.la1n

I do feel like the amount of time needed to obtain a lot of additional colors and accessories could afford to be a little more lax. I actually preferred the point system of the first season because then you could at least pick what you wanted to unlock without needing to grind to hell and back because you want one specific thing locked behind a hundred others.

I don't want to knock the F2P model they have too much because I feel like it's at least good they are sticking to cosmetic only but at the same time it really feels like it's hurting some decisions.

I still feel a pit in my stomach when I go to store and see "boosters coming soon" because I can't imagine a scenario where that can't be a bad thing.

vg260

I do feel like the amount of time needed to obtain a lot of additional colors and accessories could afford to be a little more lax. I actually preferred the point system of the first season because then you could at least pick what you wanted to unlock without needing to grind to hell and back because you want one specific thing locked behind a hundred others.

Yeah, that too.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Kan-Ra is surprisingly fun to use, easy to spend forever just messing around in training mode with him.

Pachinko

Thoughts from Scrubchinko (me) -

Kan-Ra, as with most of the cast has fantastic animation, I love that standing animation. with the wrap just spinning around his limbs. Spinal and Saberwulf are still my favorites though.

Aesthetics aside though, he is certainly interesting to use. While, at first he has the same 4 special attacks that the rest of the cast gets (I'm talking in terms of inputs, not execution) the way his normals work and the range on each of those moves sets him on a whole other level. Playing him well would seem to require you to have a sandpit on screen at all times , so you'd combo with him in a similar fashion to spinal (teleports and such) but his moves are much more ranged based. I'd say the closest other fighting game character to him is Dhalsim from street fighter , simply because of the ranged normals but even then it's not really that close because Kan-Ras normals pull and push depending on what type you use. Not being an expert at fighting games in general I can only say that Kan-Ra seems to have a few more options to handle opponents , those options of course increase his complexity so I would say he's not the first character someone should attempt to use.

I haven't exactly gotten serious with playing this game yet, only put about 2 hours into it. Played through Basic Training and had 9 matches online as well as some NOOB survival and arcade to learn the game some more. I feel like I need to grab one of them Xbox 1 arcade sticks to really get much better, I can't hit the shoulders buttons quite as easily as I'd like to to progress through training and doing anything aside from "stick mashing" is hard. (stick mashing- doing repeated QCF or QCB motions and tossing in a P or a K to attempt a combo).

I've tried every character out for at least a couple minutes to see all of their special moves in training mode and my opinion of the cast is thus-
Easy: Jago- Fast and easy to combo, Jago also has the dojo mode so anyone new the game learns to play him first, he also seems to be the neutral character everything else in the game is based on.
Orchid- is even easier to combo with (I managed a 55% combo in training mode, my best so far)and hits a bit faster than Jago
Saberwulf- who is super fast but has a pretty good damage output too. Any of these 3 felt like good starting points to me.
Normal: Combo,Thunder - Both heavier characters, though thunder seems the slower and slightly stronger. Since they rushdown the opponent, I felt they required a bit more thought to play , scrub that I am,than the above 3 characters.
Hard: Glacius - super slow but his entire moveset is about trapping the character a safe distance away from him , it's like the opposite skillset present with my "normal" ranked characters. Simply stick mashing won't get you anywhere.
Maya- she CAN stick mash but it might not get the player anywhere if they aren't paying attention to where her daggers land and grabbing them as well as using their leveled up specials.
Sadira- She's fun to play as but very tricky to get good combos with , I've seen Max and others play her properly thanks to youtube and twitch and playing keep away in the air is much harder to pull off (for me) than it looks in those videos.
Expert: Kan-Ra - I went over kan-ra above but basically I'd consider him an expert character because of his enormous movelist , it's as though you almost need to get good with glacius and sadira then move up to Kan-ra.
Spinal- He isn't too hard to stick mash with but it won't really get you very far if you don't utilize his skulls properly and because of the whole skull/curse mechanic I consider him expert level.
Fulgore - I always thought he looked difficult to use well even from watching max's videos and finally playing a bit in training confirms this for me. He's got a sizeable move list , lots of options and that bizarre pip meter.

That was just my thoughts based on very brief use of the whole cast so far. I've heavily favored using Orchid and Jago (mostly dojo though) and think it's great to have characters of varying learning curves in the game. Hell, it might be the case for some that they find Thunder easier to use than I do or any character for that matter.

As it stands though, Kan-Ra, Spinal, Fulgore and Maya all have an additional gimmick not present with the rest of the cast so no matter who you are, they have at least a bit more to deal with.

Can't wait to play Riptor next month - Will he make it out by Christmas for Ultra owners ? It would be nice but I don't want to rush Iron Galaxy. So glad I finally bought a xb1 to play this :D

sangreal

you still had to grind xp (fight titles, ranked wins, etc.) in the old system. and then you needed KP on top of that

you couldn't just take KP earned on one character and spend it on costumes/colors/accessories for another

you still had to grind xp (fight titles, ranked wins, etc.) in the old system. and then you needed KP on top of that

I remember grinding for a long, looong time in order to get 150 fight titles for Thunder, and he was the only one I got them for.

I will say that I'm glad I managed to grind out enough KP in order to get every Season 1 character's sixth color, but only one got the "150 fight titles" costume. I do like how grinding to Level 13 gets you two colors and two costume accessors for a character...but it seems I jumped onto that train too late as now apparently you get a lower amount of XP for winning fights?

Damn. At least I got White Fulgore before that went into effect.

Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition is 50% off on the store right now. I think it extends through the rest of the week.

So if you don't own season 1 or you've been wanting to upgrade to the ultra edition now is a pretty good time.

just upgraded my KI1 from combo to ultra, does all the skins and accessories auto download or do I need to go through the list and dl each separately?

As Buster said they'll unlock automatically.

The only thing you need to manually install is Killer Instinct Classic and the game prompted me to download that during the "Checking Downloadable Content" phase after I upgraded.

.la1n

you couldn't just take KP earned on one character and spend it on costumes/colors/accessories for another

That's true, sorry had forgotten that's how it worked.

They just unlock for you. Well unlock as in you have access but still need to earn some of them by playing the game.

thanks, so i assume all the dlc items on the xbox store that say install now I can just ignore and not take up unneeded space on my harddrive? also how do i equip accessories? found it.

did a clean up of what was installed on my hardrive, only have shadow Jago, Combo and Ultra packs installed

stn

Finally got it last night. Solid fighter. Though I will say that the d-pad took time to get used to, didn't turn out as amazing as I thought it would be. Its kind of pathetic that companies cannot perfect the d-pad after Nintendo mastered it decades ago.

dankir

Shadow Spike finisher is also great for Kan-Ra. Creates distance and lays trap right under your opponent. If they jump or throw a fireball at you then ant-lion so fireball will miss and you can combo.

But don't do it if you're right next to the corner cuz it'll only the opponent once or twice they'll recover and you'll still be waiting for the animation to finish!

Allforce

Has anyone bought the Combo Breaker pack for 20 bucks and then later upgraded to the Ultra Edition for 40? This would be for Season 1.

My XBO came with KI Season 1 Combo Breaker on it from a previous owner, but I'd like to get all the costumes and the original KI on my XBO. And the Ultra Edition for Season 1 is now on sale for 20 bucks.

I have a feeling this is going to just be a huge clusterfuck of DRM and license issues if I buy it, but the price is right and I'd like to have the "complete" game (already bought KI Season 2 Ultra Edition as well).

I have a feeling this is going to just be a huge clusterfuck of DRM and license issues if I buy it, but the price is right and I'd like to have the "complete" game (already bought KI Season 2 Ultra Edition as well).

I don't think you'd have a problem. Licenses on XB1 are all account-based, and the consoles themselves were designed to handle license redundancy and even redundant game installations.

It's a really sleek setup this gen. The only time I've encountered an issue was the Forza 5 VIP pass, which isn't the standard license, but whatever that issue was, it was gone with the FH2 VIP pass licenses.

Has anyone bought the Combo Breaker pack for 20 bucks and then later upgraded to the Ultra Edition for 40? This would be for Season 1.

My XBO came with KI Season 1 Combo Breaker on it from a previous owner, but I'd like to get all the costumes and the original KI on my XBO. And the Ultra Edition for Season 1 is now on sale for 20 bucks.

I upgraded this morning. Owned Season 1 Combo Breaker and Season 2 Ultra, everything was fine. No issues with DRM or licences or anything.

Allforce

See my concern (and this is such an odd situation) is the Combo Breaker pack was bought by...whoever originally owned this XBO. They wiped their gamertag and profile obviously but never changed this XBO as their "Home'. So the KI Combo Breaker pack is licensed to THEIR account, and I'm just accessing it via my account on the new console.

Will buying the Ultra Edition now just tie the entire game to MY account you think?

I wasn't sold on Kan-Ra from the trailer, but after putting some time into him last night I find he's extremely fun to use. I like the animations now too. Seeing them in 60fps makes a difference compared to the 30fps trailers. Good job Iron Galaxy!

stn

Is Glacius considered hard to play? I always have good spacing in any fighting game and I love defensive characters, I'm just wondering if his gameplan is easy to learn.

dankir

Is Glacius considered hard to play? I always have good spacing in any fighting game and I love defensive characters, I'm just wondering if his gameplan is easy to learn.

He's easy to use execution wise. Bit he's much slower than others. Definitely harder to use against a really good player in general. He can be defensive and offensive and does some stupid damage.

Once you get he's spacing and timing he's really good. Kan Ra is a also a distance character find him much more enjoyable than Glacius.

once you got the ultra edition do you still need the combo breaker add on installed or can you delete that (i'm referring to the harddrive space add ons take)

dankir

once you got the ultra edition do you still need the combo breaker add on installed or can you delete that (i'm referring to the harddrive space add ons take)

It's like 51 mb the Ultra edition add on. Just leave it there.

Man I didn't realize how much faster you get fight titles now. I'm already at 138 with Kan Ra.

Is it strange that I've adored fighting games forever but never seem to get that good at them?

I swear hearing some of you talk about these games is another language. I fight the same way I have since Street Fighter 2. Ditto for 3D fighters like VF. Carried the same style throughout all of them regardless of franchise.

So stuck in my ways but I still love them.

Killer Instinct has easily shoved its way into my all time Top 3. Amazing game.

If you think that's bad, imagine knowing most of the advanced tech in various games and not being able to do any of it consistently. I've been in that boat for over 2 decades now. Makes it more fun to watch streams, though. XD

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So Kan-Ra is interesting to use. I definitely shouldn't be sanctioned to use him. Not good enough.

I played a ranked match against him with Jago a few times (same player each time) and beat him, but by less and less each time. The main QCF P attack can be fucking annoying if it catches you.

I doubt I'll use him aside form getting achievements.

stn

Is it just me or does Jago look really bad in his retro costume? Why is he so skinny and weird looking? The gloves look weird, the body shape looks weird, and it just doesn't fit overall. Also, how come Thunder's retro costume looks nothing like his retro look?

Top Bottom