• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it just me or does Jago look really bad in his retro costume? Why is he so skinny and weird looking? The gloves look weird, the body shape looks weird, and it just doesn't fit overall. Also, how come Thunder's retro costume looks nothing like his retro look?

Just you! ;] Most had issues with hair on him, or some of the rips, but his gangly awkward frame is pretty KI1. It's all about the Voltron accessories and Keytar sword though, everything else is secondary!

Thunder was reimagined because they found the original racist / insensitive / ill-fitting now. So they tried something more grounded. Why this kept them from making a few accessories that make the look more authentic is anyones guess.

S2 is coming with new accessories now, even for old cast, so we'll see how things turn out going forward.

Allforce

I can't even figure out the accessories situation, I finally own both Ultra editions now and still a bunch of stuff is locked away and demanding "KI GOLD"? I thought the Ultra editions included everything? And are some of the items only available for retro costumes while others are for the current iterations? So confusing.

sangreal

I can't even figure out the accessories situation, I finally own both Ultra editions now and still a bunch of stuff is locked away and demanding "KI GOLD"? I thought the Ultra editions included everything? And are some of the items only available for retro costumes while others are for the current iterations? So confusing.

For the non-retro costumes, Ultra and Combo Breaker come with all the accessory DLC but they need to be unlocked by gaining XP. KI Gold is a way to skip leveling up and lets you pay cash for everything but the final color (unreleased)

the retro costumes have their own premium accessories. Ultra comes with all of these. You don't have to unlock them through playtime

.la1n

Ultra includes all accessories for the retro costumes but only the fourth set for the standard costumes, the other sets have to be earned through the game or optionally bought through the KI Gold system.

By time I get this, I wonder what I would personally experience with this game. XP

Since I've missed out on Season 1 basically, the Sadira Ultra glitch, balance changes for characters I never got really play, etc. Hah

Cronus Max, I have a TE2 so havent tried it myself but apparently works very well, no discernible input lag.

You're better off getting a Cronus Max anyway since it let's you use a single controller on any system. I can use my 360 fight on 4+ consoles now. Saves you so much money.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
You're better off getting a Cronus Max anyway since it let's you use a single controller on any system. I can use my 360 fight on 4+ consoles now. Saves you so much money.
Yeah Im getting a PS4 soon hopefully it works for that too, I like my SSIV PS3 TE better than the TE2, just feels better no idea why.

And GGs again man, I was so bad haha haven't played much recently gotta knock that rust off. o_O

Yeah Im getting a PS4 soon hopefully it works for that too, I like my SSIV PS3 TE better than the TE2, just feels better no idea why.

And GGs again man, I was so bad haha haven't played much recently gotta knock that rust off. o_O

Yeah indeed, GGs. Was fun :)
I haven't had much time with Kan-ra (very busy work hours) but I think he's fun and I'm getting into him. As strange as it sounds I'm actually not used to suck a low damage character. Even Orchid and her damage output I still felt fairly satisfied, but Kan-ra, man he requires you to keep on pressuring the opponent because he does no damage at all. I get why though; he will eventually become an amazing character.

And yeah, I'm using a CronusMax and haven't had any problems. Keep in mind it locks out one controller so you'll need two to do local versus. As for tournaments, in the UK it seems fine to use. I've been to two tournaments and had no issues. I know in America it can be an iffy device so there's also that potential problem.

vg260

Can anyone say how much XP you get roughly for beating on P2 in local versus after today's temporary XP boost?

Trying to decide if it's worth accepting the 2.1 patch or keep trying to unlock stuff mindlessly while I watch TV with v2.0 while I can.

Allforce

What's the best bang for the buck for gaining XP on characters to unlock their accessories? I mostly just do Player Vs CPU and keep rematching to practice a character.

Heatshade

Neo Member
What's the max level for a character anyway? Or rather, what level gives the final unlock for each character?

I believe its level 30, since it gives you the sixth and last color.
They were gonna raise player levels later by adding colors 7 to 9. I think during the stream they mentioned it was going to be raised to level 50 later this season.

Allforce

It's taking me awhile just to level guys up to like 6 or so, the XP gains really start to stop about there. I'm pretty new to all this so I'm just playing on like Easy in Survival and getting used to combos with different people and dicking around. Getting around 2K XP per match but should it be this slow going even with double XP going?

Textual stream is up today. It basically says xp is fixed and there is double xp until monday

No Mountain Dew needed? Awesome. Ha, I'm time to leave the turbo button on to farm XP whe get the 200 matches with Maya done.

It's strange. Because Kan-ra is so well made. It seems like IG are really stepping their game up. I still think Maya's animations are pretty bad though. The difference between Maya and Kan-ra is pretty significant. Hopefully she get's her animations corrected. It 's the only reason I don't play her (and I play everyone in Killer Instinct) and why I hate playing against her.

Ultra includes all accessories for the retro costumes but only the fourth set for the standard costumes, the other sets have to be earned through the game or optionally bought through the KI Gold system.

what I find weird is when i look at the default costume of a character (not retro) in the accessories area, it only show 2 colours, yet when i'm on the character select screen all 6 are there

what I find weird is when i look at the default costume of a character (not retro) in the accessories area, it only show 2 colours, yet when i'm on the character select screen all 6 are there

Customisation: Colours available to you with that character at the moment.
Character select: Colours available overall with that character but are locked (should have a padlock symbol on them).

Easy(ish) way to get around it is the go to practice an set te opponent with the colours/accessories you want. Then using another controller set it to record. This also let's you play as character you don't own. (Unless it was changed).

Customisation: Colours available to you with that character at the moment.
Character select: Colours available overall with that character but are locked (should have a padlock symbol on them).

Easy(ish) way to get around it is the go to practice an set te opponent with the colours/accessories you want. Then using another controller set it to record. This also let's you play as character you don't own. (Unless it was changed).

you are correct there is a padlock, i never noticed that before, i assume its a case of play with that charcter and it will unlock eventually?

btw is shadow jago getting any costumes or colours? he only has the 2

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah indeed, GGs. Was fun :)
I haven't had much time with Kan-ra (very busy work hours) but I think he's fun and I'm getting into him. As strange as it sounds I'm actually not used to suck a low damage character. Even Orchid and her damage output I still felt fairly satisfied, but Kan-ra, man he requires you to keep on pressuring the opponent because he does no damage at all. I get why though; he will eventually become an amazing character.
I've yet to really play him either, he seems to require a lot of patience and willingness to 'set the character up'..something I don't really have lol. Oh and I was using Jago against you then, whose easily my best character.

And yeah, I'm using a CronusMax and haven't had any problems. Keep in mind it locks out one controller so you'll need two to do local versus. As for tournaments, in the UK it seems fine to use. I've been to two tournaments and had no issues. I know in America it can be an iffy device so there's also that potential problem.
I don't care about tournaments I'm nowhere near good enough anyway lol. Input lag was my only worry but it seems there is absolutely none which is pretty amazing TBH, def gonna order one when I get paid next.

Kan-Ra is really not fun to fight against.

Scarab and sand spike are far, far too powerful, in my opinion. Three scarabs on screen and being able to create traps with spike repeatedly is just stupid. I have no problems with him having ways to keep you at a distance but when he can litter the screen with scarabs and then put ridiculous pressure on you with spikes and traps it's just too much.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kan-Ra is really not fun to fight against.

Scarab and sand spike are far, far too powerful, in my opinion. Three scarabs on screen and being able to create traps with spike repeatedly is just stupid. I have no problems with him having ways to keep you at a distance but when he can litter the screen with scarabs and then put ridiculous pressure on you with spikes and traps it's just too much.

You can punch through scarabs. It's a 5 hit projectile, but takes 1 hit to destroy, which isn't deducted from the attacking move's hitcount. Spike trades very well, but if blocked, may push the opponent closer to him, where their normals almost universally beat out his in start up speed and priority.

The fact that he's practically open to all the cast while summoning a scarab is a pretty big weakness.

Sup KIGaf, so I'm a very casual fighting game fan. As a kid we dabbled on SSF2 on the Snes. Fast forward to SF4 and I started playing, been playing on and off since. I think I'm maybe average, have a pretty mean A rank Adon.

Recently started playing Tekken Tag on Ps2 with my friends drinking and smoking. Good fun.

Should I jump on Killer Instinct Ultra season 1 for $20?

How's the learning curve?
Easy to get skill matched games?
Is there any point gettin season 1 with no intentions of paying $40 for season 2?

Thanks in advance.

El Sabroso

Sup KIGaf, so I'm a very casual fighting game fan. As a kid we dabbled on SSF2 on the Snes. Fast forward to SF4 and I started playing, been playing on and off since. I think I'm maybe average, have a pretty mean A rank Adon.

Recently started playing Tekken Tag on Ps2 with my friends drinking and smoking. Good fun.

Is there any point gettin season 1 with no intentions of paying $40 for season 2?

Thanks in advance.

welcome, sure it's a great offer do it man

learning curve depends on characters, is easy to get in with Jago because of the dojo and then get whatever character you like the most to learn,
For de skill based matches, ranked does search the most close to your online level.
for this last YES, you can be a S1 player and play online against S2 characters, you will have the 8 original characters at your disposal for the full game.

Thanks in advance.

hell yeah hop on that shit.

.la1n

For $20.00 it absolutely can't hurt to jump in and give it a try, you'll only be missing three characters right now. If you really enjoy it maybe you'll consider buying into more later. You still get access to all the latest updates and can fight the same group of people online the rest of us can. Look forward to seeing you online.

Yeah same story with Titanfall, I know I'll enjoy it and at that price too.. Whew.

I'll be lurking this thread from now on.

I did All Jagos basic trials in the free version easily enough so I think I'll start learning fast enough hopefully.

.la1n

Yeah same story with Titanfall, I know I'll enjoy it and at that price too.. Whew.

I'll be lurking this thread from now on.

I did All Jagos basic trials in the free version easily enough so I think I'll start learning fast enough hopefully.

The trick to KI isn't so much the main combat system as it's fairly simple to pick up. It's learning the mind game behind combo breaking and counter breaking, conditioning opponents.

Snap, it's already time more Kan-Ra? Soon the army will rise! I wonder how long it'll last though. Haha.

Has Kan-Ra popped up a lot before?

dankir

So what's the timeline for Riptor. We're supposed to get her earlier in the month than Kan-ra right? So Ultra owners get her on the 15th? or somewhere close to that?

DrDogg

So what's the timeline for Riptor. We're supposed to get him earlier in the month than Kan-ra right? So Ultra owners get him on the 15th? or somewhere close to that?

The impression I got was that everyone would have her "well before Christmas". So if Ultra owners get her a week early I wouldn't be surprised to see her next week.

Christmas is the 25th, "well before" that would be at least a week before, right? So that's the 18th, which you'd push up to that Tuesday to make it the 16th. Then Ultra owners a week early would be the 9th.

My logic is logical.

The impression I got was that everyone would have her "well before Christmas". So if Ultra owners get her a week early I wouldn't be surprised to see her next week.

Christmas is the 25th, "well before" that would be at least a week before, right? So that's the 18th, which you'd push up to that Tuesday to make it the 16th. Then Ultra owners a week early would be the 9th.

My logic is logical.

Trailer at TGA on Friday maybe?

Ont

Not sure if my brain can handle Riptor this soon after Kan-Ra. But then again, it has been a long wait.

.la1n

I am very curious to see how well IG adapted a dinosaur into modern fighting game. I don't think anyone outside Namco has tried since the 90s.

Aeqvitas

I'd like to get back to playing this, but earlier this year I got hit by the bug that wiped all my progress and unlocks, so haven't found the motivation to load up and get my ass beat constantly by even the lowliest of players.

MagnesD3

I read above something about the Cronus Max locking out my second player controller, is this true? I have a sfxt 360 te that Id love to use for KI but I only play local so would I be able to hook up my other stick and controller if Im using Cronus Max to vs. my local opponent?

Skab

I'd like to get back to playing this, but earlier this year I got hit by the bug that wiped all my progress and unlocks, so haven't found the motivation to load up and get my ass beat constantly by even the lowliest of players.

Shouldn't be playing a fighting game just for the unlocks.

Top Bottom