• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

holiday skins look alright
holiday_orchid.png

holiday_sabre.png

holiday_tj.png

also 2.2 update: ~10GB damn

Zedox

I don't mind the update being 10GB as it's to help with the loading...but I am excited to see the tease of the next character!

So if everything goes according to plan patch should roll out Wednesday? I want the holiday accessories but I'll be away from my xbox for a month...starting Wednesday -_-

If you want the original Riptor play KI classic, nobody said these characters need to be 1:1 replicas of their originals. Look at the whole cast everybody from the first game have changed significantly.

I guess. But this design involves like no creativity.

"Oh Riptor yea he's just a raptor right?"

It's up.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=4856.0

Trailer on Monday, (tentative) release on Wednesday.

We get to see Riptor in action on Monday!! :)

I have to say that I love what I'm seeing on Riptor, especially the cyber-esque body. I can't wait to see how it looks in-game. I notice her tail will be extending full-force there. XP

Her height went from 7'0" to 6'2" in this one.

I also didn't expect her uppercut to come back, so I'm curious as to what 'Clever Girl' (That JP reference) will be.

--------------

I'm also sad at the fact that I won't be getting those Christmas themed outfits... :(

TJ's retro coming out with her is pretty damn exciting as well!

I wonder how fast the characters will load up now?

Doukou

Riptor & Riptor’s stage “Hatchery 11”
Story mode!
Dossiers for all S1 characters (on character select screen)
Balance changes and fixes (2.2 changelist found here!)
Increased character & stage loading speed!
New character select screen icons & silhouettes!(Do they mean the ones not shown?)
TJ’s RETRO COSTUME!
Christmas Accessories

The best update
I wonder if the christmas choices were done because all three characters are rushdown esque and Riptor is also Rushdown. I'm probably looking to much into it.

I hope Hatchery 11 means a bunch of animals in the stage, gets me giddy.

I forgot to mention of the stage! "Hatchery 11"

This leads me to believe that it'll be in some lab/jungle habitat, with test tube Riptors in the back.

Doukou

I guess. But this design involves like no creativity.

"Oh Riptor yea he's just a raptor right?"

I disagree look at other things about her.
Look at her tail she can see it's broken up in blocks.
Her feet claws have that giant one.
Her are arms are actually human ones with claws allowing for human arm moves.
She has an exoskin for some reason(all those hexagons)

She also still has her bracers which is cool.
She is a ratpor now instead of the lizard dinosaur she was before but she is hardly just a raptor.

I forgot to mention. Cinder is confirmed to be a human-alien hybrid due to some splicing in his DNA.

We'll see how that eventually plays out for his normals. Mhmm.

ShogunX

Did you even play the old games? Riptor was a genetic hybrid of like a Cobra/dinosaur/human.

Riptor.gif

If anything the new design blows the old one out of the water. She's a lot more defined now rather than being a mish mash of nothing.

Again what did you want to happen with the character?

Doukou

Don't want to hate on old Riptor but she felt like something out of D&D. I hope Kev Bayliss' retro is like that one image that got shown years ago.

.la1n

I forgot to mention. Cinder is confirmed to be a human-alien hybrid due to some splicing in his DNA.

We'll see how that eventually plays out for his normals. Mhmm.

A connection to Glacius maybe? Either way can't wait to see what they do with the character. Weird coming from me I know but I try to be less cynical lately :p

That and all the concept art so far has been really good.

vg260

Free holiday stuff is cool, but it's a bummer they couldn't give everyone something, even if a minor touch like a hat. Still an appreciated gesture for Ultra owners.

Liking the Riptor stuff so far

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, so the meaty info-dump drops when I'm playing the Beta Release of Yatagarasu AOT... OK! Fun to see so much stuff happening on fighters in one day.

I'm quite happy to see Christmas Accessories, that's the kinda fun stuff this game should have, with it's accessory system. Great!

That big 10GB Patch... ok, sure. I look forward to seeing how the game works now.

Overall, that looks like a large amont of stuff, for an update coming so soon after Kan-Ra. Impressive. If this kind of Momentum can be kept, it'll just make the season more and more exciting.

That.....doesn't look anything like Riptor. That looks like a cyborg Velociraptor from Jurassic Park.

I understand where you're coming from, and am surprised so many aren't in agreement, as much of thes games official threads have been people asking for 1 to 1 recreations of the classic looks.

Compared to the old Riptor, which had obvious form and shape inspirations from a wide range of creatures, this Riptor just looks like a Dino with cybernetic modifications. If you were expecting a more humanoid chest, a snake-like head, and a different distribution of body mass to certain areas, this isn't anything like what you were looking for.

Thematically, I think they both say the same thing. Riptor in both forms shows "super-science run amuck with nature", but I think this Riptor is more in-line with "UltraTech(-nology)" than what was present before. But the old Riptor, just by way of being so... odd, was slightly more unique, and was one of the old KI designs that seemed fairly inspired. And with the way that Bayliss redesigned the character in that sketch we saw from the KI Central Blog, I think many would have expected that kind of inspiration to continue.

Hopefully, we get the best of both worlds with the Retro Alt. This Riptor TOTALLY reminds me of the old DinoRiders Toys:
... so if we can get a bit of that, and the classic Snake-ish Riptor, I'm happy with that, ha. It's the perfect level of Campy Retro that fits within this game, and within the age range of the fans who were there when the series first appeared.

Doukou

The Nerf Button ‏@TheKeits 10m 10 minutes ago
.@kzrtv Its not an additional 10 GB update on top of what you have, its a restructuring of the game data that requires a full re-download.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is all part of the reason I want more new characters... Nostalgia tells people different things when revisiting something. Everyone wants it their own way thanks to years of imagining what-ifs.

Don't want to hate on old Riptor but she felt like something out of D&D. I hope Kev Bayliss' retro is like that one image that got shown years ago.

Yesss! I really honestly hope that design gets used. It's the best thing to ever come out of a redesign of the original look, and of course.. By the original Kevin Bayliss!

A connection to Glacius maybe? Either way can't wait to see what they do with the character. Weird coming from me I know but I try to be less cynical lately :p

That and all the concept art so far has been really good.

Most likely, especially given the original story. It makes a lot of sense for that to happen. I just really hope they don't give a similar stance.. Glacius/Kan-Ra have that one hand up pose, which #NotShago/Cinder have. But who knows!

Hey, just as long as you're in the hype with us all. Haha. ^^ I'm digging the concept art for Riptor a whole lot.

Free holiday stuff is cool, but it's a bummer they couldn't give everyone something, even if a minor touch like a hat. Still an appreciated gesture for Ultra owners.

Liking the Riptor stuff so far

It's definitely awesome, which is why it makes me sad. I should have been one of the people to get these accessories. T^T

I understand where you're coming from, and am surprised so many aren't in agreement, as much of thes games official threads have been people asking for 1 to 1 recreations of the classic looks.

I'm actually one of those people. :p I expected Snake/Dino Riptor to be the design, having to be more influenced by what it was originally.

It also doesn't help that my favorite character in Primal Rage happens to be Vertigo, which I absolutely adored.

Here's hoping for an amazing classic outfit. :)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I really like Riptor's new look, hoping that art translates well into the in-game model.

Glad we are getting TJs classic outfit, cant wait to see it and those Christmas sets are hilarious.

I really like Riptor's new look, hoping that art translates well into the in-game model.

Glad we are getting TJs classic outfit, cant wait to see it and those Christmas sets are hilarious.

Same here! I'm honestly just really loving the colors on Riptor the most with everything going on.

Yessss, and I hope among those accessories is some boxing gloves!

You can always just buy one if you don't have Ultra

The problem is I can't afford to get an XB1 with my issues, which is why I'm sad about that fact. Since they'll be gone forever once that date passes and I won't be getting an XB1 at that time.

This is just like with the ribbons for having KI since the beginning. D:

.la1n

I like it, it's in your face 90s feeling. The angle does feel a little weird for it but I'm sure in motion it will look good. Will be interesting to see what crazy accessories they gave it. I love TJ as a character but he's probably the character I'm the worst at using in the game.

Am I crazy or does he have cybernetic forearms and hands showing through his skin?

Top Bottom