• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Delt31

This is going to sound crazy but WHY is the retro TJ combo missing hair behind his ear? In the mock up it had hair - see below

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3080.0

I think it's throwing it off for me. Why did they change it from the pic?

As for raptor I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND what people are saying when they say it's generic. I think it looks fine but yes, it's basically jurassic park dino. I'm OK though but for those who are saying look at the creativity.....please. nonsense. It's a good looking character but creativity is not what comes to mind.

excited for 2.2!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I like it, it's in your face 90s feeling. The angle does feel a little weird for it but I'm sure in motion it will look good. Will be interesting to see what crazy accessories they gave it. I love TJ as a character but he's probably the character I'm the worst at using in the game.

Am I crazy or does he have cybernetic forearms and hands showing through his skin?
Youre not crazy, those are definitely some form of metal arms..my guess is its a reference to his KI2 metal gloves. And yeah Im excited to see the accessories available with this outfit...especially now that we can mix and match whatever we want.

This is going to sound crazy but WHY is the retro TJ combo missing hair behind his ear? In the mock up it had hair - see below

I think it's throwing it off for me. Why did they change it from the pic?
I noticed that as well, makes his hair look very odd. Hopefully its just a graphical glitch or something.

ShogunX

Maybe the hair behind the ear matches up with the eye patch being on the same side?

Thus maybe it's on the side we cant see on the new model.

You pointing it out, and posting the link to the concept art made me realize some things.

B4siY3-CUAAmi8f.png

- The hair missing (as you stated above)
- He has no eyebrows
- Instead of having no facial hair, it looks as he just shaved instead.
- He still has his scars (but probably needs that for his instinct mode)

Does anyone feel his belt is too small? Like it should be a bit bigger.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I liked DH's Retro's more, in the fact that they had more model / texture differences. This just looks like a few new accessories to the current TJ. Save for the Metallic hands, those are pretty cool!

It's good on it's own, though! The pants like KI2, the ripped shirt being a lot better take on the "man bra" top he had before...

As far as accessory sets, I also really like the "Kimbo Slice" look TJ already has in game, and that Divekick ref. IG might be better in the overall "quality across all options" department, so far...

Doukou

So apparently the stage named got changed lol
From Hatchery 11 to Hatchery 09

I think something that makes the TJ Combo new costume feel less special is that TJ Combo's accessories pretty much were new costume, they changed every part of his attire.

So apparently the stage named got changed lol
From Hatchery 11 to Hatchery 09

I think something that makes the TJ Combo new costume feel less special is that TJ Combo's accessories pretty much were new costume, they changed every part of his attire.

What? That's such a random change. I wonder why? :V

I'm going to guess Isgreen typed the wrong number in the Textual stream. Poor him one typo and I noticed it.

Ahh, well that would make sense. Haha. Either way 09 > 11 it just looks better. XP

talon.jpg

Looks more like Talon from Primal Rage than Riptor, but I'm not complaining.

I loved that game as well despite it not aging as well as the original Killer Instinct.

You know .. I wonder if there will be a color based on Talon for Riptor?

Same with the classic, whenever it comes out, if there will be a color based on Vertigo? I would absolutely love that.

Edit: Funny thing is, it would be so damn fitting if there was a Vertigo color scheme. Because she attacked with her tail, which is now something that Riptor herself now has. :3

I'm excited at the thought of it. Haha.

Riptor compared to Talon makes her look very muscular.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It's mostly her arms that give her that. But I appreciate the beefyness. ^^

Ont

B4siY3-CUAAmi8f.png

Retro for TJ

That looks amazing. I think TJ has some of the best accessories in the game already.

Personally I don't like historical accessories at all (Spinal, Kan-Ra, Maya, Sadira) would love to see more modern and futuristic accessories for these characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm actually one of those people. :p I expected Snake/Dino Riptor to be the design, having to be more influenced by what it was originally.

It also doesn't help that my favorite character in Primal Rage happens to be Vertigo, which I absolutely adored.

Here's hoping for an amazing classic outfit. :)

I really hope we get that design of Bayliss'. Not getting it would pretty much be the biggest troll possible at this point. They HAVE to know it's what people expect, and both designs HAVE to be made with this in mind... right?

Oh that's sweet. They should have went with that design.

When Bayliss was announced to not just be designing the classic costumes themselves, but Retro-themed updates to the old designs, I'm sure it's that image that inspired the idea itself. So it should be pretty safe to bet that we'll see something like that (pending on the modelers skills, and ability to adapt to new Riptor's animations) for the classic alt.

I wish Capcom would be as bold as to put the "new" designs front-and-center, and leave remaking the classics to bonus content. Getting both of them is the ideal, and the new design should be the gameplay focus, as gameplay design and character design should go hand-in-hand for fighting games.

I think something I like about this KI (maybe even more than the game itself) is it's willingness to boldly update aspects of it's classic iterations, rather than sticking to them to the detriment of the product. I don't think we'd have made it past the first season if this game came in as simply an "HD Remake" of the old products.

.la1n

Absolutely. Look at how abysmal the classic alts for season one were, now imagine those being the main designs of the cast. I wouldn't have been able to play it, visual appeal is very important to me along with gameplay. I would have never even bought the game had we gotten those designs.

histopher

But SF characters are iconic and well designed. (Most are). For a comeback game like SF4 they shouldn't have touched their appearances. Maybe some minor changes can be done for SF5. KI NEEDED to update the designs its not comparable.

I really hope we get that design of Bayliss'. Not getting it would pretty much be the biggest troll possible at this point. They HAVE to know it's what people expect, and both designs HAVE to be made with this in mind... right?

When Bayliss was announced to not just be designing the classic costumes themselves, but Retro-themed updates to the old designs, I'm sure it's that image that inspired the idea itself. So it should be pretty safe to bet that we'll see something like that (pending on the modelers skills, and ability to adapt to new Riptor's animations) for the classic alt.

I wish Capcom would be as bold as to put the "new" designs front-and-center, and leave remaking the classics to bonus content. Getting both of them is the ideal, and the new design should be the gameplay focus, as gameplay design and character design should go hand-in-hand for fighting games.

I think something I like about this KI (maybe even more than the game itself) is it's willingness to boldly update aspects of it's classic iterations, rather than sticking to them to the detriment of the product. I don't think we'd have made it past the first season if this game came in as simply an "HD Remake" of the old products.

I agree but sometimes the re-designs in later games ends up looking really terrible (like Reptile post MK3) which is why digital codes for the original skins for MK characters were going for like $100 on eBay when MK 2011 came out. Sometimes you just can't mess with perfection.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Absolutely. Look at how abysmal the classic alts for season one were, now imagine those being the main designs of the cast. I wouldn't have been able to play it, visual appeal is very important to me along with gameplay. I would have never even bought the game had we gotten those designs.

Well , no one would have touched the game if the standard for characters were SaberRat! But I'm really impressed with the overall visual identity DH set into the game. Things like Thunder's stage weather transitions and the murky feel of Spinals stage actually rank among some of the best 3D stages in fighters for me, and Glacius' crystalline appearance in certain colors, or even Fulgore's mechanical quakes are pretty well-realized stuff. Considering most western 3D graphic fighters NEVER seem to get this right (and I still cringe at pre-MKX Netherrelm stuff from time to time), I'm surprised how much they got right on their first go at it.

So much so I think they make their "bad" aspects look even worse by comparison. It's a wide range of quality, rather than a tighter one where everything just meshes into an "overall meh".

IG is doing a good job keeping up with this, and eliminating some of the obvious mis-steps soundly as they progress. Which is ALSO impressive for a developer brought onto an already-running project.

But SF characters are iconic and well designed. (Most are). For a comeback game like SF4 they shouldn't have touched their appearances. Maybe some minor changes can be done for SF5. KI NEEDED to update the designs its not comparable.

They're Iconic, sure, but sticking to them and simply updating model and texture detail is insanely safe. I hate that the characters of the series don't grow with me, they just leave appealing to my shifting age demo up to the occasional new characters. "Want a Shoto that's achieved mastery level, like Ryu should have by now? Lets not update Ryu, let's inexplicably revive GOKEN!" .....

I'd love to get a change to connect to the characters I loved as an Elementary / Middles schooler in a way that respects the fact I'm well into adulthood now.

While I agree KI works better with updated designs, this doesn't at all mean the company had to have the stones to actually DO it. Fighter fans are some of the most resistant to character changes out there, and most companies are happy to accommodate this fear.

Characters are the stars of fighters. One of the most effective tools to developing a character it to show how outside stimuli changes their mannerisms and development. Yet most fighter characters default to existing in a vacuum... and there's no reason for them to! Models and animation can change in look while maintaining the same damage, hitbox, and startup / recovery data! Voice actors can give new lines and show pain or stress in an attack without the character actually having to weaken due to the changes!

Already long story shorter, I rather like the way KI's accessories, alt character models, and updated designs push some of these ideas forward. I think most of them are a bit better than what Tekken gave us at it's worse, and best or at least on par with the best Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soul Calibur have offered over the years.

I agree but sometimes the re-designs in later games ends up looking really terrible (like Reptile post MK3) which is why digital codes for the original skins for MK characters were going for like $100 on eBay when MK 2011 came out. Sometimes you just can't mess with perfection.

Which is why it's great DH not only mixed in their own ideas, but fairly swiftly assured that they'd pay (more or less) proper respect to the old designs as well. I can understand why 2D fighters never did this (Though KoF XIII even does a good job at it in 2D!), but it should be standard to never scrap the old designs in 3D fighters.

tl;dr: New Designs? Old Designs?
81170-why-not-both-gif-little-girl-m-tb0S.gif

Which is why it's great DH not only mixed in their own ideas, but fairly swiftly assured that they'd pay (more or less) proper respect to the old designs as well. I can understand why 2D fighters never did this (Though KoF XIII even does a good job at it in 2D!), but it should be standard to never scrap the old designs in 3D fighters.

tl;dr: New Designs? Old Designs?
81170-why-not-both-gif-little-girl-m-tb0S.gif

Except that DH's retro costumes left ALOT to be desired and theres only so much changing you can do without having to change the movesets and all the other stuff.

Not a fan of new Riptor design. Agree he should look more snake-like. Looks like generic velociraptor now, nothing reminiscent of original design in my opinion. I thought they did a good job with Kan-ra. Maya and TJ were okay. Hope the final product Riptor looks better than the concept art or at least the retro skin will look good.

abadguy

Banned

Yeah but the designs in old KI were terribad to begin with.

Oh that's sweet. They should have went with that design.

Hopefully this is what the classic outfit looks like. *crosses fingers*

Could you imagine how thing would blow out if such a thing happened? I mean it has to be a guaranteed outfit. Bayliss drew a long time ago, a new take on the old Riptor. Especially with him on board to do the classic outfits with new touches, what else would we expect on Riptor. >.<

We'll find out in March.. It'll be the longest wait ever. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Except that DH's retro costumes left ALOT to be desired and theres only so much changing you can do without having to change the movesets and all the other stuff.

Like I said, I think the distance in quality exaggerates how bad the worse elements are. Except for SaberRat, ha. But a few overall small imperfections were worth the overall idea.

Kinda like how Tekken's fairly lame clone-characters from early on eventually evolved into characters worth their spots on their roster. With some time to develop, hopefully it'll have some positive lasting effects.

Could you imagine how thing would blow out if such a thing happened? I mean it has to be a guaranteed outfit. Bayliss drew a long time ago, a new take on the old Riptor. Especially with him on board to do the classic outfits with new touches, what else would we expect on Riptor. >.<

We'll find out in March.. It'll be the longest wait ever. :(

We'll have to make sure to keep talking about it until then! We know they read these boards.. IF YOU'RE PLANNING ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT DESIGN, ABORT! ABORT!

I am unsure how I feel about this.

She doesn't look like the Riptor I know, love and sometimes dreamt about.

This is what I meant by I.G just not getting it, why are they giving the characters their won design flavour, just give us the characters we remember. They don't need to be redesigned.

Gah.

biteren

i just learned that im getting a free xbox1 because it came bundled with a laptop for somone else, im not very found of Xbox but you cant beat free.

KI is one of the biggest draws for me and i cant wait to play this.

is there a package that comes with both season 1 and season 2? also with KI 1 and 2 original included will be nice aswell.

gotta budget for Xbox1 and nab a few games for it

Doukou

i just learned that im getting a free xbox1 because it came bundled with a laptop for somone else, im not very found of Xbox but you cant beat free.

KI is one of the biggest draws for me and i cant wait to play this.

is there a package that comes with both season 1 and season 2? also with KI 1 and 2 original included will be nice aswell.

gotta budget for Xbox1 and nab a few games for it

Yah actually just released
Killer Instinct ultimate collection that gives you season 1/2 and KI1/2(2 has online multiplayer) and retro costumes for 80 dollars.
I think it will be on sale for christmas so might wanna wait.

Nome

This is what I meant by I.G just not getting it, why are they giving the characters their won design flavour, just give us the characters we remember. They don't need to be redesigned.

Gah.

lol
In this thread: "why are the characters all redesigned???"
In the SF5 thread: "Capcom is so lazy they're still using 90's designs!"

Doukou

Gah.

What are you getting at? Like DH didn't do that with characters such as Glacius?

Heatshade

Neo Member
lol
In this thread: "why are the characters all redesigned???"
In the SF5 thread: "Capcom is so lazy they're still using 90's designs!"

Its only been the third Killer Instinct for now so I believe its ok to keep it the old style.

Street Fighter on the other hand... had like a billion versions so im pretty sure people are tired of seeing the same kind of Ryu over and over.

BHK3

Banned

Gah.

...it's just a raptor dude. The previous one had muscles and that's all, just what would you even want from a dinosaur in a fighting game to look like?

NEO0MJ

...it's just a raptor dude. The previous one had muscles and that's all, just what would you even want from a dinosaur in a fighting game to look like?

Old Riptor had a human-like build and was more lizardman. New one is just a Raptor, though I give them credit for giving her bulky arms.

biteren

Yah actually just released
Killer Instinct ultimate collection that gives you season 1/2 and KI1/2(2 has online multiplayer) and retro costumes for 80 dollars.
I think it will be on sale for christmas so might wanna wait.

thanks man, i wait it out for that. in the mean time i wont have any games to play on my Xbox1 till suposedly xmas

Comments like this Jesus. You just don't understand riptor at all if you think she's "just a raptor"

Gah.

You'll get a classic design, though. Just use that one.

CoCo_CoCo

Banned
Seems Microsoft put up a "Complete Collection" on the store.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Bundle/Killer-Instinct-Complete-Collection/a2e59812-9cc7-488e-b37a-a43b1f0c4487

I mean it's $80 so you're not really saving any money which is a bit strange. They could have at least given people a $10 savings or something. Still, I imagine it will go on sale at some point, just a matter of how much will it get cut by.

I'm hoping for an X-Mas discount to get both Seasons in Ultra.

- I also agree with those who feel some of the newer KI designs do a poor job of bringing the past to today. TJ Combo and Riptor are boring design wise, no robo boxing arms and no Snake/Raptor head.

This person did some concept art and it's awesome.

http://justathereptile.deviantart.com/art/KI-2013-Riptor-update-381135913

http://justathereptile.deviantart.com/art/Killer-Instinct-Riptor-Colors-2-382482831

http://justathereptile.deviantart.com/art/All-Riptor-accesories-474690097

Gah.

You could say that about the whole game.

Honestly, only Fulgore and spinal and to a less extent, orchid seem in keeping of the spirit of their original characters. Everyone else is varying levels of "lets create a new character, but make it have some similarities to an old classic one"

Only redesign I like is Mya.

abadguy

Banned
Its only been the third Killer Instinct for now so I believe its ok to keep it the old style.

Street Fighter on the other hand... had like a billion versions so im pretty sure people are tired of seeing the same kind of Ryu over and over.

Nah, i'm glad they changed the look from the old KI. SF character designs were always a lot better anyway and hold up even after all these years. KI's old designs not so much.

You could say that about the whole game.

Honestly, only Fulgore and spinal and to a less extent, orchid seem in keeping of the spirit of their original characters. Everyone else is varying levels of "lets create a new character, but make it have some similarities to an old classic one"

Only redesign I like is Mya.

Well maybe if the old designs weren't so shit-tastic people wouldn't want to be so "radical" with the new versions. I mean i don't get the complaints anyway. Just play using the classic versions of the characters, what's the issue?

Gah.

If only they could institute some kinda "retro" mode in the game.

Synth

Well maybe if the old designs weren't so shit-tastic people wouldn't want to be so "radical" with the new versions. I mean i don't get the complaints anyway. Just play using the classic versions of the characters, what's the issue?

While I agree that pretty much every design other than Spinal (and I guess Riptor) needed a do-over... the problem for most people that want the classic looks, is that the classic costumes largely fail miserably at actually looking like the originals. Pretty much the only classic costume that looks just like KI1 but in 2013 is Spinal... who was the least in need of one in the first place.

Top Bottom