• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

.la1n

While I agree that pretty much every design other than Spinal (and I guess Riptop) needed a do-over... the problem for most people that want the classic looks, is that the classic costumes largely fail miserably at actually looking like the originals. Pretty much the only classic costume that looks just like KI1 but in 2013 is Spinal... who was the least in need of one in the first place.

It has to be one of, if not the, most requested change from the team (to revisit the retro alts and make changes.) It is also apparent from their responses that they have no desire or plans to do so. Season 1 is completed and the impression I get is whatever was created during that season we just need to "deal with it." It is what it is, they want to dedicate resources to new content versus revisiting old content.

For my own selfish reasons, that seems like a bad idea to ignore something obviously highly requested. Obviously as a developer and for the benefit of the game moving forward I understand the decision. I feel like we've beaten the dead horse 6 feet under at this point, lol.

abadguy

Banned
While I agree that pretty much every design other than Spinal (and I guess Riptop) needed a do-over... the problem for most people that want the classic looks, is that the classic costumes largely fail miserably at actually looking like the originals. Pretty much the only classic costume that looks just like KI1 but in 2013 is Spinal... who was the least in need of one in the first place.

I think the reason the retro looks don't come off so well to old fans of the game is mostly due to the new game having different art direction than the first two KI games.

.la1n

I think the reason the retro looks don't come off so well to old fans of the game is mostly due to the new game having different art direction than the first two KI games.

I'd agree except people in the community have been able to make adjustments to those designs to bring them up to exactly what old fans wanted. It's not the art direction, they just weren't given proper time and attention.

Obviously it's too late now but I think instead of trying to take on full on alternate skins it would have been better just to have "retro themed" accessories for the characters. Keep the current models and look but add accessories that give a nod to the old designs. Would have been easier to do, less time consuming and probably more cost efficient and both sides of the fence would have been happier. People would have have loved to have the cybernetic arms or the classic cloth face mask to use on Sabrewulf/Jago but instead they are tied to the classic skins which are awful.

Its only been the third Killer Instinct for now so I believe its ok to keep it the old style.

Street Fighter on the other hand... had like a billion versions so im pretty sure people are tired of seeing the same kind of Ryu over and over.

People aren't complaining about the designs they are complaining because sf5 looks similar to sf4 when past games (sf1 to sf4) look completely different with each sequel. A lot of them are forgetting that sf4 and sf5 are the only gamed in the series that have the same team working on the games. All the previous sf have had completely different teams which would explain such a big change in arts types in the games.

Well maybe if the old designs weren't so shit-tastic people wouldn't want to be so "radical" with the new versions. I mean i don't get the complaints anyway. Just play using the classic versions of the characters, what's the issue?

The classic costumes are "shit-tastic", Actually. The original designs worked within the artstyle and framework of the older games, whether you liked them or not.

Its not just the actual clothing that is the issue, its the build and skeletal framework.

Thats why although fulgore and spinal are very much updated, they still "look" like their original designs, while Jago and Saberwulf look so different, even with their classic costumes.

There is no point in bringing up thunder and glacius because they are new characters in all but name.

Orchid and Combo occupy a weird space where they are not quite radical departures from the original characters, but they look, play and feel vastly different from the originals. and both their classic alts look awful.

DrDogg

We're going to get a classic Riptor, so I'm fine with the changed design. Although I don't like classic Combo... but that's because I really dislike most of the KI2 designs. Give me KI1 Combo and I'll be happy... hopefully (KI1 Sabrewulf... bleh)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I just want to use whatever classic accessories and colors that will most closely make this.

ki2_tj_combo_render2.jpg

Tomorrow!!! This will be very exciting! :) I honestly cannot wait, I've been thinking about it ever since we got the schedule release.

We'll see all the classic moves, Riptor in motion, her theme along with her stage, and character tease!

Then we'll be getting a whole stream for her, we'll for sure see the accessories for her as well. :3

Nintendad

Tomorrow!!! This will be very exciting! :) I honestly cannot wait, I've been thinking about it ever since we got the schedule release.

We'll see all the classic moves, Riptor in motion, her theme along with her stage, and character tease!

Then we'll be getting a whole stream for her, we'll for sure see the accessories for her as well. :3

Does Riptor come out tomorrow or just a stream?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What are the chances that IG updates/redesigns the S1 retro.
For S2 unlikely, but for S3 I think its very possible considering how often the community asks for it and Bayliss is there to do it.

Sup everyone.

So this xmas i have bought an Xbox One for my kids and me.

I have been a big fan of this franchise back in the day.

My question is, do they sell a RETAIL version of this game that has everything included...

or does the retail just sell me the characters but have me forkin more money to get costumes and such...

How does the game work exactly, do you buy costumes or unlock them...

I think i saw somewhere that the full thing costs like 80$ but the post here mentions 39$ kinda confused.

Sup everyone.

My question is, do they sell a RETAIL version of this game that has everything included...

or does the retail just sell me the characters but have me forkin more money to get costumes and such...

I think i saw somewhere that the full thing costs like 80$ but the post here mentions 39$ kinda confused.

The retail version is just season 1. Each season is $20 for 8 characters and 8 stages along with 3 accessory sets for each character. $40 includes this + the classic game (KI1 for Season 1, KI2 for season 2) and an extra set of accessories for each character.

Even if you got the retail version, you'd still have to pay either $20 or $40 for season 2 or for each character individually.

So the game is $20 per season (8 chararacters) and $40 for each season if you want the extras like accessories, classic games, and playing new characters a week early.

Pachinko

Sup everyone.

The Retail edition is the same thing as the 20$ combo breaker pack that you can download. It also only has season 1 plus TJ combo included.

So the cheapest way to get all the characters that will be out by march is probably to just download season 1/2 as the combo breaker pack which will run you 40$.

The only downside to that ? if you decide you want the ultra version later , they STILL don't have an upgrade option , instead they just put the ultra edition for 50% off every couple months.

Honestly , unless you're very attached to having a semi useless disc on your shelf, I'd suggest just buying it digitally.

The Retail edition is the same thing as the 20$ combo breaker pack that you can download. It also only has season 1 plus TJ combo included.

So the cheapest way to get all the characters that will be out by march is probably to just download season 1/2 as the combo breaker pack which will run you 40$.

The only downside to that ? if you decide you want the ultra version later , they STILL don't have an upgrade option , instead they just put the ultra edition for 50% off every couple months.

Honestly , unless you're very attached to having a semi useless disc on your shelf, I'd suggest just buying it digitally.

How much is the Ultra Edition.

Sup everyone.

They don't sell a retail game with everything included. Your best bet is to buy the game digitally if you want the all the characters, the bonus accessories, classic costumes, and KI Classic and KI2 Classic. So buying the $80 pack which includes both ultra editions for season 1 and season 2. You get everything. Things like costumes still need to be unlocked by playing the game and earning XP.

If you would rather spend $40 you can buy both combo breaker packs. You'll get access to all 16 characters and their first three accessory packs (which need to be unlocked though XP). The last premium accessory set for each character, classic costumes, as well as classic games are not included with that.

If you don't want to buy anything, everything is available for individual purchase. Prices range; characters are $5 each, costume/accessories are like $2 each, and you can't buy the classic games.

How much is the Ultra Edition.

$40 each

They don't sell a retail game with everything included. Your best bet is to buy the game digitally if you want the all the characters, the bonus accessories, classic costumes, and KI Classic and KI2 Classic. So buying the $80 pack which includes both ultra editions for season 1 and season 2. You get everything. Things like costumes still need to be unlocked by playing the game and earning XP.

If you would rather spend $40 you can buy both combo breaker packs. You'll get access to all 16 characters and their first three accessory packs (which need to be unlocked though XP). The last premium accessory set for each character, classic costumes, as well as classic games are not included with that.

If you don't want to buy anything, everything is available for individual purchase. Prices range; characters are $5 each, costume/accessories are like $2 each, and you can't buy the classic games.

$40 each

Sweet thanks, I might wait a bit i guess and hope that those 2 seasons get a rebate. Thank you

PhatSaqs

Banned
Hopefully Riptor isnt broken like the other S2 chars so far. Maya and TJ are both extra dumb. I know there balancing shit as they go but still. I dont know how they even let some of the stuff get in during play tests.

Wait, Riptor will release today?

No, on schedule for Wednesday. Although in the textual stream it mentioned they had a minor issue in cert that could possibly delay it but that's unlikely.

Trailer for Riptor releases today and I believe either IG or MS is hosting a stream as well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Klobbs not on stream or Riptor?

I'm calling 12:00 PM EST for trailer drop.

Lobb won't be on the riptor stream (out of office)

Ken Lobb @RealKLobb · 6m 6 minutes ago

@TheKeits Really wish I could make the stream today, but I'm away from the office, doing fun stuff of course! Take care of my sweet Riptor!

Top Bottom