• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Shito

Awesome animations!
Never thought I would say that, seeing how the first characters for season 2 were lacking in this department.
But this time it seems like they totally nailed it. Good job!

Zedox

2758991-192.168.200.209_image_33.png

2758989-192.168.200.209_image_234.png

2758988-192.168.200.209_image_289.png

Doukou

Ultratech doesn’t always look forwards to find the solutions to future military development. Sometimes, they look to the past.

So it was with the Riptor project.

A competing combat contract project with the Fulgore line and the Cinder initiative, brilliant Ultratech genetic engineer Dr. Erin Gupte saw a better path to follow. She thought that Fulgore’s maintenance and lack of ability to adapt to radically different hostile environments would create a nightmare for upkeep and result in a prohibitively expensive machine. At the same time, she saw the Cinder initiative as pure R&D with years before any interesting developments could be realized. She believed that a creature built on a ruthless adaptable predator and augmented and constrained by modern technology would result in the ideal combat platform. It could rely on its own victims for sustainment, and could maneuver and infiltrate in areas that the Fulgore line would never be able to function; Riptor couldn’t be jammed or hacked, stopped by weather, or be disabled by a grain of sand in an intake. Nor would it take a decade of research to decode the alien technologies the Cinder initiative toyed with.

The first batch of Riptor units were vicious, and even with cybernetic augmentation and programming, were completely uncontrollable. No amount of shock, drugs, or control systems would contain them, and they would tear anything it saw apart in moments, making it impossible for them to work as a coordinated team as planned.

Digging into the problem, and amidst the pressures from Utratech leadership for results, Erin theorized that all her creations had no upbringing, no parenting, only genetic memories to kill that she could not overwrite; they came into the world fully ready to fight, and without any other upbringing to guide them, that’s exactly what they did.

She destroyed the initial batch of Riptor assets and began work on a new batch, augmenting the creatures even further than the originals. Borrowing cast-off technology from the Fulgore project, Erin began using her own mind as a training tool for her new creations, simulating upbringing through her own directed thoughts, guiding the creatures into understanding that there was a place for family, and the idea of a pack…

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=4959.msg90083#new

Riptor!! They didn't show off her anti-corner abilities in the trailer! D: I hope the stream gets uploaded soon.

I really love the look of her stage! :)

And Herald of Gargos? What does this mean!

Skab

Calling it now, Riptor can gain health back by biting/eating the opponent. Specifically that move where she pounces and starts biting Jago's face in the trailer.

Which is what happened to Robert Muldoon in Jurassic Park, and is why that move is going to be the move called "Clever Girl" that Adam teased in the textual stream.

DrDogg

I'm okay with no music, but I don't like the tease at the end. Felt like the Thunder tease from Evo only with even less of the character shown. Unless we get the trailer for that character pretty early next month that's pretty disappointing.

Riptor looks okay, but I'll need to play her first.

bumpkin

Riptor looks exactly like I'd expect a dumb robo-dinosaur design from the 90s to look, and that's all I could ever hope for.
I'm actually pretty happy with how Riptor turned out. I was a little skeptical from a posture and movement point of view based on the concept art, but she(?) looks great!

rubex75

Banned
Seeing as Season 2 is the 'Ultratech' Season, I can really see Season 3 being the Gargos Season with him being the main villain and maybe the last fighter to be released for Season 3. Season 1 had a few Ultratech seeds planted with Fulgore and Sadira and it seems that Season 2 might be planting some Gargos seeds now for Season 3.

The tail looks like it will be a good anti-corner ability.

I now assume that the stream hasn't happened yet? :V

also i have to point out... riptors arms are pretty darn human

Yeah, she has pretty beefy arms.. And thumbs, plus she stands a lot more straight up than I thought. There is definitely still some human in Riptor.

That would be cool
My name is Harold

That would explain the 'h' :p

Thanks.

After watching that, I'm actually more optimistic. Seems she does still have the more pronounced humanoid figure than the images led me to believe.

Very pleasing indeed.

I think she fits right in with the direction Double Helix was going at least. I'm curious how the classic skins will look.

That's what the retro is there for! ;)

Yeah, let's hope the classic skin is up to snuff.

Doukou

Thanks.

After watching that, I'm actually more optimistic. Seems she does still have the more pronounced humanoid figure than the images led me to believe.

Very pleasing indeed.

Yeah, let's hope the classic skin is up to snuff.

Yah that was the biggest difference between the concept art and the model.

The only thing that is disappointing to me is that I very much prefer the old riptor sound effects over the new ones. Specifically how they strung together when you did a combo.

This is something I really hope they get right for cinder. My all time favorite.

Top Bottom