• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

New002

So as long as I buy and load Season 2 Ultra by 1/1/15 I'll get the snazzy holiday accessories correct?

I'm just trying to hold out to see if they do any sort of sale on the Season 2 Ultra package for the holiday.

.la1n

Keits mentioned that head tracking breaks a lot of character models, so he doubts it will come back.

I'd imagine since it was dropped early in development it would be tough to implement at this point without a lot of time spent reworking models. If that's the case then yeah I'd rather they not waste resources on it. Still bugs the hell out of me :p

Jrs3000

Right now it's only with that day one xbox live gold which isn't readily available

The devs have said they want him to remain a special character and will likely have other ways that you can acquire him in the future... probably a lot like the very limited time christmas accessories

^ finally some confirmation that mick gordon on twitch was real lol

Day 1 live card? I just saw some of these at my local walmart. I might have to go grab some.

GnawtyDog

Banned
new KI Bundle

Killer Instinct Complete Collection $79.99

on sale for $53.59 right now

$79.99? Ridiculous. Who thought of that price before?

$49.99 sounds about right. That $53.99 discount should be permanent to avoid being a joke.

Riptor's moves looks good - head ram, claws, air roll (they got it in)..... Head a tad too big. 10% less big would look better proportion wise to me (maybe just slimmer perhaps?) - just a bit off.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
$79.99? Ridiculous. Who thought of that price before?

$49.99 sounds about right. That $53.99 discount should be permanent to avoid being a joke.

Riptor's moves looks good - head ram, claws, air roll..... Head a tad too big. 10% less big would look better proportion wise to me - just a bit off.

$80 is the regular price of both season 1 and season 2 ultra edition (classic costumes, KI 1+2 arcade)

for all characters without the extra fluff, regular price for both combined is $40

GnawtyDog

Banned
$80 is the regular price of both season 1 and season 2 ultra edition (classic costumes, KI 1+2 arcade)

for all characters without the extra fluff, regular price for both combined is $40

Yeah I clicked and read. Still off to me value wise at $80 - everything included but that's me. I know people will buy it at $80.

vg260

Anyone know how long this deal will last?

One week:
http://majornelson.com/2014/12/15/countdown-2015-deals-start-tuesday/

Fuuuuuuuu-

I'm going to miss out on all the deals!

You could still purchase it without a system.

A couple caps from the stream:
blur.png

blur2.png

It's like 720p all over again. Why oh why did they do this? :(

CoCo_CoCo

Banned
Yey I just bought it :) the complete thing, first xbox ever :) can't open until xmas tho :( but man, My xbox one came with assasins creed unity and black flag, plus got a free copy of minecraft, and guardians of the galaxy wich i havnt watched yet, and this complet pack of KI, :) can't wait to try this game out!

btags

One week:
http://majornelson.com/2014/12/15/countdown-2015-deals-start-tuesday/

You could still purchase it without a system.

A couple caps from the stream:
blur.png

blur2.png

It's like 720p all over again. Why oh why did they do this? :(

When you use screens, a medium that captures a single moment in time, to look at something that is used to convey motion, which happens over a duration of time, of course it will look bad. Even so I think that looks good because everything looks kinetic. But to each their own.

Nori Chan

When you use screens, a medium that captures a single moment in time, to look at something that is used to convey motion, which happens over a duration of time, of course it will look bad. Even so I think that looks good because everything looks kinetic. But to each their own.

from a stream nonetheless

DopeyFish

Yey I just bought it :) the complete thing, first xbox ever :) can't open until xmas tho :( but man, My xbox one came with assasins creed unity and black flag, plus got a free copy of minecraft, and guardians of the galaxy wich i havnt watched yet, and this complet pack of KI, :) can't wait to try this game out!

Hope you enjoy it :D

DopeyFish

The difference between characters and the backgrounds is obvious even on a stream. They look blurry as heck when they're moving around and attacking, which is most of the time.

not really.

it makes the game more fluid
it makes it look softer, also helps with AA.
it adds more depth to the frame

I'm really only for motion blur if it's done well... KI does it very well. Makes the game feel next gen.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The difference between characters and the backgrounds is obvious even on a stream. They look blurry as heck when they're moving around and attacking, which is most of the time.
I really dont think you can fairly judge a blur effect from a stream at all. Im sure it looks better in person or they wouldnt have bothered.

what time did kan-ra come out? I have to leave for a flight at 12:30EST on Wednesday but I want to play Riptor and get my christmas accessories :(

DopeyFish

what time did kan-ra come out? I have to leave for a flight at 12:30EST on Wednesday but I want to play Riptor and get my christmas accessories :(

he was available at like 6AM-7AM EST on release day

but we may be able to get him tomorrow night... we'll see

vg260

not really.

it makes the game more fluid
it makes it look softer, also helps with AA.
it adds more depth to the frame

I'm really only for motion blur if it's done well... KI does it very well. Makes the game feel next gen.

Disagree with all of the above. More animation frames makes animation look more fluid, not a smudge filter. The part about depth doesn't really even make sense to me. Nor does the next-gen thing.
Also, this effect is present for multiple frames, and for a fighting game individual frames are important. Also, the stream is/was high quality enough to notice the difference when this effect was happening. It's bad to do this for characters in a fighting game, IMHO.

I hate it and hope they make it an option.

btags

Disagree with all of the above. More animation frames makes animation look more fluid, not a smudge filter. The part about depth doesn't really even make sense to me. Nor does the next-gen thing.
Also, this effect is present for multiple frames, and for a fighting game individual frames are important. Also, the stream is/was high quality enough to notice the difference when this effect was happening. It's bad to do this for characters in a fighting game, IMHO.

I don't really know what you are expecting to accomplish with your comments. You are basically saying it is ugly and whenever anyone tries to say that they like it or that it adds to the look of the game you just say they are wrong. If you don't like it ok, but stop posting about it already or make a new thread on the ki forums saying you think it should be an option.

Bardiche

It's nice to see the Complete Collection edition on sale for those who just recently got an Xbox One or for those who didn't jump into this game.

So as long as I buy and load Season 2 Ultra by 1/1/15 I'll get the snazzy holiday accessories correct?

I'm just trying to hold out to see if they do any sort of sale on the Season 2 Ultra package for the holiday.

Same here. I got Season 1 Ultra during the BF sale and I'm hoping that Season 2 Ultra will be on sale as well. If the Complete Collection is on sale then hopefully Season 2 Ultra will follow suit.

In regards towards Riptor, her moves look really good. I'm glad to see her back but her stage leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I guess I wanted blood on the floor like her altar stage in KI.

DopeyFish

With animation, the blur effect does effectively add frames. Incomplete frames, sure. But it's an interpolation... but it's movement based. Because it's movement based, that's where depth comes in. The character doesn't blur at the same rate across the entire model, only the parts that are moving. So when riptor goes for a sweep, the tip of her tail is blurred a lot while closer to the leg it's blurred very little giving you relative depth of field.

It makes the game look better, covers little problems in animation (like maya), makes models look better and makes the game not feel like its just a shinier last gen game.

Game was way better with than without.

I would like to add that KI was the first and only time I've been impressed with motion blur in a game.

vg260

I don't really know what you are expecting to accomplish with your comments. You are basically saying it is ugly and whenever anyone tries to say that they like it or that it adds to the look of the game you just say they are wrong. If you don't like it ok, but stop posting about it already or make a new thread on the ki forums saying you think it should be an option.

I'm hoping the developers see that this is highly subjective and it ruins the visuals for some that have already paid for both Ultra packs (regular price). I'd like devs who come here take note of a dislike for it without having the opinion drowned out by other posts saying I'm not giving it a fair shake or I can't see what I'm seeing. A toggle option is what I'm hoping they will add.

DopeyFish

I think the motion blur looks good. Looks a lot less egregious in motion and context.

yup

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/07/13/killer-instinct-glacius-vs-jago-720p-60fps-direct-feed-gameplay

here's old footage with blur still enabled at 60fps just in case people want to take a glance

anyone got a link to the recorded stream?

here you go:

http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/b/599643165 (57 minutes
http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/b/599655429 (4 minutes)
http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/b/599656630 (3.5 minutes)
http://www.twitch.tv/killerinstinct/b/599663953 (45 minutes)

here's the 4 parts of the stream... so many because the stream kept going up and down

Delt31

considering fire is mapped to HP and tail HP isn't it much easier to see and therefore break? Yes I know others can be broken too as they're slower but this is a visual que like none other. little unfair and overpowered (for the opponent) if you ask me.

DopeyFish

considering fire is mapped to HP and tail HP isn't it much easier to see and therefore break? Yes I know others can be broken too as they're slower but this is a visual que like none other. little unfair and overpowered (for the opponent) if you ask me.

just means it's a great way to bait counters. but the LP/MP or LK/MK won't be as obvious as say... sabrewulf rabids or glacius ranged doubles

Good thing you can counter breaker? Something like that will just boil down to mindgames, like a lot of other fighting games. Sure, your opponent might instantly recognize that Riptor's heavy normals involve fire and her tail, but that's all the more opportunity for you to land a counter breaker.

Just guess right. Anticipate that your opponent goes for scissors and you go for rock.

I am all for options. But the motion is conveyed in real life and film with higher temporal stability and over an indefinite period of time (there are no discretely rendered frames). This means motionblur for lower framerates.. simulated or natural is a greater representation of that period of time. Motionblur increases a sense of motion and inertia.. it helps you understand speed and a duration of time. This is very important unless you have a screen that refreshes at 500hz and a frame that renders at that.

Also, this game uses hit boxes and not per pixel hit detection (aka something that almost no games do since doom 3 or SSIV original). So therefore, there is no actual difference in terms of mechanics. It is stzlistic, same with the way the motionblur in SSIV is stylistic.

Now instead of recognizing that one 16ms looking one way (body part at position x), you will just recogniye that one 16ms for looking a slightly different way (body part at position x whilst also having a tiny a of bit of blur on it and trailing it).

DopeyFish

also want to point out that the blur seems to be only applied to characters/special fx now as opposed to everything which is good... because before the background would slightly blur on enough camera movement and when settling everything would become sharp again... which just made it seem like the game was going nuts with LOD

Top Bottom