• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Ont

I wish that Omen will be given his own animations at some point. Right now it is just a mix of animations from every other character.

The other thing I don't like is the way how the words free and bonus are used to justify a character who is visually very underwhelming and inferior in quality. I would rather wait months for quality characters, rather than get something that the developers felt they should put out there because they had promised to release one character every month.

MS be more like Nintendo.

Heatshade

Neo Member
To all Shadow Jago owners :
Can he level up like the rest and can you use him in survival?
Because im thinking of getting a download code to unlock him.

Silky

Banned
I wish that Omen will be given his own animations at some point. Right now it is just a mix of animations from every other character.

The other thing I don't like is the way how the words free and bonus are used to justify a character who is visually very underwhelming and inferior in quality. I would rather wait months for quality characters, rather than get something that the developers felt they should put out there because they had promised to release one character every month.

There has always been clones in Smash Bros, so I'm not exactly sure why MS should be like Nintendo.

If Omen was part of the 8 character cast then yes I would make a stink about it, because I paid for those 8 characters for quality. But he's free, so I just can't make a stink about it.

He honestly looks like any other broke ass boss character.

.la1n

Like Silky said, it was either they take a month away from releasing characters to make sure the final four characters are at a level they can be happy with or they release a bonus character during the additional month they need. It's an additional character not planned to be released that we didn't pay for. I don't see why people are determined to spin it as a bad thing.

It may not be your cup of tea (and to be quite honest I'm not a big fan of the design myself) but there's no denying that this is a net positive for fans considering we could have gotten nothing outside an announcement that future character releases are delayed a month.

Thought I share this with KIGaf.

Happy with how they came out minus the color on Sadira and Saberwulf overall.

HmhiI5i.jpg

L8FXTbk.jpg

Those are awesome! Good job!

Heads up the trailer is coming next week, reason:

https://twitter.com/ishmae1/status/555487658688802816

Sounds very reasonable. Look forward to how the character has progressed.

That's fine by me. I'm definitely excited for it. We get to see the improvements to Omen, Maya's Classic outfit (wondering how she'll appear), and tease to the Golem.

New Mick tease for someone not Omen. The title (πόλεμος) is greek for War, so I'm assuming it's for Broccoli Man.

https://vine.co/v/OD2qvBEUQHD

Awesome! Will give it a listen soon!

Heads up the trailer is coming next week, reason:

https://twitter.com/ishmae1/status/555487658688802816

Sounds very reasonable. Look forward to how the character has progressed.

Completely understandable. Just glad they're more open about what's going on with the character compared to the past. Hopefully that's something they continue to do over the last few months of the season.

Really excited to finally see the golem though. Been wanting to see him and ghost girl the most since the initial launch trailer.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Thought this little nugget was worth posting, Adam Isgreen responds to a question about Cinders height/stance on the KI forums.

He's not Glacius' height. He's more rationally human sized, although many of the human characters in our game are on the tall side (over 6')

The biggest difference we're experimenting with on his stance is if he's back-facing (like Tusk in KI2) or not. There's a gameplay reason back-facing may be better for him, but I'm not going to cover that now. You have a few months to go.
Kinda interesting.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gameplay Reason for a turned back? Perhaps his "meter" for his heat is on his back, or his flames emminate from there, or even grow towards covering that point, limbs-to-core.

Cosmetic? Maybe they're trying to keep Cinder looking classic on his front body, but are adding the details that actually make his design look modern to his back.

Or maybe it's the exact opposite? His front side has added details, so that he doesn't look like a mannequin with a texture applied to it anymore, but seeing him from the back preserves the lower-detail, "iconic" human torch look?

Either way, when done right, it's a good way to make a character feel mischievous and tricky.

lin-stance112222.gif

It'll be interesting to see if this can add anything to his personality.

tapedeck

Gameplay Reason for a turned back? Perhaps his "meter" for his heat is on his back, or his flames emminate from there, or even grow towards covering that point, limbs-to-core.

Cosmetic? Maybe they're trying to keep Cinder looking classic on his front body, but are adding the details that actually make his design look modern to his back.

Or maybe it's the exact opposite? His front side has added details, so that he doesn't look like a mannequin with a texture applied to it anymore, but seeing him from the back preserves the lower-detail, "iconic" human torch look?

Either way, when done right, it's a good way to make a character feel mischievous and tricky.

lin-stance112222.gif

It'll be interesting to see if this can add anything to his personality.
You know when you said the part I bolded a thought came to mind...what if Cinder can 'overheat', and that indicator is on his back? Like he's super strong/fast but if you use too much meter (or whatever they give him) he's forced into 'cool down' mode for a brief period (and of course instinct mode would infinite heat/super moves etc).

I'm probably way off but just a thought.

Doukou

Looks good also
One of Maya's retro alts is an homage to another MS game in development. Any final guesses before you see it? #KillerInstinct #KISeason2

I'm guessing Phatom Dust Freia since Adam works on that also.

Silky

Banned
So Maya's new Retro is also supposed to reference another MS game in development.

It's possible that it will be a safe pick like something releasing this year, but there's this nagging thought in my head that /possibly/ this could be a Banjo-Kazooie-esque thing. Or Scalebound seeing as it's the only game that really matches with Maya's theme.

Textual stream's up in 30 minutes.

tapedeck

Not a fan of the hair on the retro costume, but the rest looks good. Omen's default mask looks good too.

Excited for all the new stuff!

.la1n

I like the way the new ladder system is sounding, gives me something to strive for each month. I also like that we will be seeing ranked titles attached to our player card again.

I like the Maya retro, so far the retro-inspired designs are better to me than them trying to adhere to original designs like with season one. I would have preferred a full body picture of Omen to get a better idea of how everything looks together but I can wait for the trailer. Initial reaction is positive though, just changing the mask design makes it a lot better aesthetically.

I haven't been a huge fan of Kan-Ra's accessories and the premium doesn't really change my opinion. I just think his character model is difficult to add things to without it looking off. I prefer to keep his default look and the new accessory set doesn't look to change that. I do appreciate the effort though and I am sure people will enjoy using them.

I imagine it's just the brightness/contrast settings on the images but Maya's skin tone seems to be lighter?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lest's see... Omen's mask is cool. It fits more now, but I don't mind the old one much. I hope there's more improvements to him to make him overall look less scrawny.

For a similar reason, I'm cool with Kan-Ra's Premium Accessory. It gives him a bit more presence. I think the worse thing about his sets is that he already has all this stuff hanging on him, that you'd expect to change between sets... but they remain. I was looking for an Egyptian set since day 1, so cool with that.

Maya's Retro looks cool enough. I wouldn't mind it if her retro had lighter skin than her default. Just a little more variety. The metallic "bra" is the most significant point of detail for old Maya's design, and it's there no matter which set of accessories you pick. Rather like that Phantom Dust Freya homage, it makes me wonder if Phantom Dust would look good with modern KI-ish character designs...

Oh, and yeah, her hair is pretty meh. I'd prefer at least a bit more volume.

Leagues and the new ranking system sounds pretty neat, especially as an addition to an already-existing game. How many other fighters have actually re-worked their ranking system so extensively in the very same release?

The idea of fighting out of your own smaller pools in order to get a chance to fight the best sounds pretty nice, rather tourney-like. Vying for higher ranks as a Killer sounds interesting, too, though I have to wonder if there should be more variety for the top spots for a month.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing that War Golem. I'm trying to think if he'll look more like something sleeker, or more like that Rockbitter with the Big, Good, Strong Hands from Neverending Story, ha. Hopefully that'll be revealed soon!

The only thing that's bothering me from the classic outfit from Maya, is her hair. I wonder why they chose that style instead of her long wavy hair.

We will surely see the Golem at the end of Omen's trailer. I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of his stage as well?

Also, I'm going to have to do in a lot of work if the level cap is at 100 now. Lol.

mdsfx

The only thing that's bothering me from the classic outfit from Maya, is her hair. I wonder why they chose that style instead of her long wavy hair.

Agreed. It looks a little strange.

Maya_KI.png

I also still think TJ's retro hair is ridiculous. It doesn't remind me of his original design at all and looks like he lost a battle with clippers. Here's how I remember him:

Tjcombo-original.jpg

.la1n

That's because they aren't supposed to be the classic costumes. They are retro inspired original designs by Kevin Bayliss. It's not like the first season where they were trying to mimic the originals.

mdsfx

That's because they aren't supposed to be the classic costumes. They are retro inspired original designs by Kevin Bayliss. It's not like the first season where they were trying to mimic the originals.

Even so, I think they look pretty bad. I thought I would get used to it and maybe start to like the design, but it just looks awful to me.

tapedeck

Even so, I think they look pretty bad. I thought I would get used to it and maybe start to like the design, but it just looks awful to me.
They could certainly be improved.

I liked TJs default KI2 classic except for that goofy fucking hair. Just make his hair exactly like it was in KI2 and it woulda been perfect dammit. Hell I dont even like that they put a star on his eyepatch, the plain black patch was better.

Mayas looks ok...I like her default classic the best but still is kinda off somehow (gaudy maybe), probably will look much better in motion. >_>

DrDogg

I posted on the official forums, but I have some pretty big concerns about the new ranking system. The fact that you never lose your rank means losses have no meaning. I also don't see what you're supposed to do once you reach Killer. If you're not good enough to reach Top 32 you're basically just playing matches every month that have no meaning until you get good enough to vie for Top 32 (sucks to be you if that never happens).

Since you never lose your rank, more and more players start filling up the Killer rank. What happens when there are only a handful of people in the lower ranks and most people are Killer rank? It just seems like rank doesn't matter much in this new system.

Also, the lack of individual character ranks really sucks now. I get up to Killer rank, then want to try out a new character. Well now I'm stuck at Killer getting beat down over and over. My only real option is to switch to Exhibition or Lobby where the stakes aren't as high... although with no penalty for losing the stakes are pretty low in ranked too.

Skab

I posted on the official forums, but I have some pretty big concerns about the new ranking system. The fact that you never lose your rank means losses have no meaning. I also don't see what you're supposed to do once you reach Killer. If you're not good enough to reach Top 32 you're basically just playing matches every month that have no meaning until you get good enough to vie for Top 32 (sucks to be you if that never happens).

Since you never lose your rank, more and more players start filling up the Killer rank. What happens when there are only a handful of people in the lower ranks and most people are Killer rank? It just seems like rank doesn't matter much in this new system.

Also, the lack of individual character ranks really sucks now. I get up to Killer rank, then want to try out a new character. Well now I'm stuck at Killer getting beat down over and over. My only real option is to switch to Exhibition or Lobby where the stakes aren't as high... although with no penalty for losing the stakes are pretty low in ranked too.

But you do go down in rank. You never fall out of your tier (bronze, silver, gold) but you still can go up and down in rank within those tiers, with killer being the top 32.

Top Bottom