• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

.la1n

But you do go down in rank. You never fall out of your tier (bronze, silver, gold) but you still can go up and down in rank within those tiers, with killer being the top 32.

Is this how it works? I must have read it wrong as well. If you can in fact go down tiers then I don't see an issue.

.la1n

Actually I may have been the one that misunderstood how it works. Not really sure anymore.

I went back and re-read it and it appears that you do not drop down ladder tiers once you have moved up. As far as I can tell Dogg is correct in that there appears be no negative to losing, your motivation would have to come from making top 32 each month. I am personally okay with this but I can see why others are not.

DrDogg

I think additional clarification is needed. Some are saying there are ranks within the leagues and you can go down in rank, but not drop to a lower league. That partially solves the problem, but not completely. If I'm at the bottom of my tier, I have absolutely nothing to lose.

From what I read, Killer is definitely more than just the Top 32. It seems anyone can get to Killer so long as they win enough. That means you could have 1,000 players in Killer with basically nothing to do unless you're good enough to hit Top 32.

The more I think about it the more it seems as though this system caters to the top 50 or so players, but doesn't change much for anyone else. At the very least they need to add individual character ranks.

Doukou

I think it works like this

You can get a max of 1000 points in gold, you lose points if you lose and gain them if you win

It isn't Gold vs Gold but a similar Gold ranking matched against a similar Gold ranking

DrDogg

I think it works like this

You can get a max of 1000 points in gold, you lose points if you lose and gain them if you win

It isn't Gold vs Gold but a similar Gold ranking matched against a similar Gold ranking

So... exactly the same as it is now, only you have a qualifying set of matches and the new top 32 reward?

.la1n

They said they would be talking more about it in the coming textual streams so hopefully they see how confused we are and make further clarification. I do really like the idea of 2 out of 3 matches, sometimes it takes a match to adjust to an opponent's play style.

Another thing I noticed in this image:

JUIX3FS.jpg

the background is badass and isn't one available now so I hope that means they are adding a lot more customizations for player cards.

Skab

Best part? μπρόκολο means broccoli.

Edit: gah. Double post. Stupid phone.

DrDogg

They said they would be talking more about it in the coming textual streams so hopefully they see how confused we are and make further clarification. I do really like the idea of 2 out of 3 matches, sometimes it takes a match to adjust to an opponent's play style.

I do prefer 2/3 but I'm concerned about people quitting out, especially as more and more people get to the Killer rank. Jail is sticking around though, at least I would hope it is.

That said, it would be nice to have the option to forfeit the set after the first match. Give people a legitimate way to exit the match if they don't want to play that person in a full set.

.la1n

Is jail still a thing? Since everyone was freed a while back I can't say I've seen anyone ending up there again. Of course I'd imagine if you are jailed you don't want to tell everyone about it.

I'm literally waiting for Kim Wu and the one eye girl from the silhouette (I doubt she has only one eye). I'm a fan of nunchucks so that is automatic main lol

I'm literally waiting for Kim Wu and the one eye girl from the silhouette (I doubt she has only one eye). I'm a fan of nunchucks so that is automatic main lol

Ghost girl doesn't come till March. Kim Wu won't be coming till Season 3. You have a lot waiting to do..
As do I, needz muh Kim Wu!

So trailer is Friday or earlier because we had to wait?

I hope for Wednesday, but that's because I just want it randomly on Wednesday, hah.

I'm feeling it.

Get out of here, Shulk! :p

Jarlaxle

At the very least they need to add individual character ranks.

I totally agree with you. It would be great if we had individual character ranks. I'm halfway decent with Orchid but pretty much trash with everyone else. I'd love to play other characters more often and that would really given me an incentive to do so. As it stands, I got their ranked achievements for 20 wins and then kind of threw them to the side and went back to Orchid.

Yeah, I'd really like to see individual character ranks as well.

No idea how they would get it to work with the new system though unfortunately.

Not to mention you get matched before you even choose your character so they'd have to change how that works too.

njean777

I have a quick question what type of character is riptor? I love his look cuz dinosaurs are fucking awesome, but I don't want a charge character cuz I suck with them.

njean777

KI doesn't have charge characters.

I did not know this thanks.

One other question, how in the living hell do you get out of a corner in this game? I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it when a person has me cornered they just combo me for days and I cannot get out at all.

Xemnas89

I just started playing this recently and I have to say there's never been I game I love this much that also makes me hate it constantly. Every time I play through the story mode I get to fulgore, lose for 20 rounds then quit because I can't ever seem to get a move in on him. He just constantly blocks and instantly combo breaks me. I can get off one counter breaker every 5 or 6 rounds but other than that I almost never get any damage on him. I really do love this game but for some reason fulgore in story mode is imo the hardest thing I've ever seen in a game.

.la1n

I did not know this thanks.

One other question, how in the living hell do you get out of a corner in this game? I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it when a person has me cornered they just combo me for days and I cannot get out at all.

Effective blocking and knowing which move will beat out your opponents attack. Trial and error but there's always a move that can punish and turn the tide.

Also make use of combo breakers and shadow counters, both are critical to your defense and offense in KI.

If there's a certain character giving you issues pay attention to what moves they are using. Go into training and have the CPU perform that on you then just practice what moves beat it. I know this may seem like an uneasy answer to your question but it's part of the fundamentals of a fighting game.

It can be frustrating but practice and you'll get the hang of it.

Doukou

I just started playing this recently and I have to say there's never been I game I love this much that also makes me hate it constantly. Every time I play through the story mode I get to fulgore, lose for 20 rounds then quit because I can't ever seem to get a move in on him. He just constantly blocks and instantly combo breaks me. I can get off one counter breaker every 5 or 6 rounds but other than that I almost never get any damage on him. I really do love this game but for some reason fulgore in story mode is imo the hardest thing I've ever seen in a game.

You can change the difficulty settings, but yeah at harder difficulties the ai mind reads when it comes to combo breaking.

DrDogg

Yeah, I'd really like to see individual character ranks as well.

No idea how they would get it to work with the new system though unfortunately.

Not to mention you get matched before you even choose your character so they'd have to change how that works too.

Changes would need to be made, but they're already making a lot of technical changes with the new system. I'd say individual character rank is far more important than giving the top ~100 players something to fight for (which is basically all the new system does as far as I can tell).

I see individual character ranks going something like this:

- Select your character
- Go through the 10 qualifying games if you haven't already
- Play ranked matches
- Back out to change characters if need be

The only addition I'd make to this would be to allow for a character switch at Killer rank if you have multiple characters that high. That way you can change characters during the 2/3 set.

I love seeing all the accusations of Microsoft moneyhatting KI into EVO. It's pretty hilarious.

Assuming it ever gets ported to PC I bet that goes away pretty quickly. I just hope they have crossplay if/when it happens.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I love seeing all the accusations of Microsoft moneyhatting KI into EVO. It's pretty hilarious.

Assuming it ever gets ported to PC I bet that goes away pretty quickly. I just hope they have crossplay if/when it happens.
Im really hoping KI finals get main stage on Sunday and have some amazing matches to shut everyone up.

Doukou

I think the KI hate is a bit ridiculous but I can understand some if it. Last year it was mostly the same characters with the same people. I hope with all the new people, new characters and balance adjustment it puts on some good matches.

Top Bottom