• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

T.O.P

Banned
I think the KI hate is a bit ridiculous but I can understand some if it. Last year it was mostly the same characters with the same people. I hope with all the new people, new characters and balance adjustment it puts on some good matches.

Yeah last yeart apart from a couple of matches it was meh

Huge anticipation for this EVO tho, game has changed a lot since then

Ont

KI in EVO should be much more interesting this year because of the larger roster, and the upcoming online league system.

DrDogg

I'm sure SF5 will the same amount of detractors once its released.

I doubt that. PS4 is the console to own this generation. It rarely gets hate until PSN is getting DDoS'd. Not really fair, but that's how it's been since the TV TV TV mishap.

Spades

Cross-posting this from B/S/T in case anyone here is interested.

Looking to sell my Killer Instinct Arcade FightStick TE2 for Xbox One.

pgallery48480-Killer-Instinct-FightStick-TE2-001.jpg

pgallery48480-Killer-Instinct-FightStick-TE2-002.jpg

pgallery48480-Killer-Instinct-FightStick-TE2-004.jpg

pgallery48480-Killer-Instinct-FightStick-TE2-005.jpg

It's been used for a couple of hours max and is in superb condition, including the original box.

I'm looking for £150 (+ Shipping). PM me.

Cross-posting this from B/S/T in case anyone here is interested.

Looking to sell my Killer Instinct Arcade FightStick TE2 for Xbox One.

It's been used for a couple of hours max and is in superb condition, including the original box.

I'm looking for £150 (+ Shipping). PM me.

If only you were in America ;_;

.la1n

I have lost track of time but I just realized next week is the last week of January. Assuming Ultra edition owners still get early access to Omen that would mean a release this weekend.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have lost track of time but I just realized next week is the last week of January. Assuming Ultra edition owners still get early access to Omen that would mean a release this weekend.

I assume Friday or Monday.

Friday seems unlikely considering the trailer will be released in late afternoon

Has this been discussed?
http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=6095.0

Keits did an interview about KI stuff.

Ghost girl can't have a Stand, I'm done. ;~;

I'm actually sad about Eyedol getting no love. It's not like he has to be a super unique character. ;_;

Snippets:

-All of Maya's order has been killed
-"You probably won't want anything scarier than ARIA"
-S2 Story mode can't be as cinematic as MK9, but "IG pitches drafts with MS all the time"
-Broccoli man is a "rule breaker"
-Broccoli man is tall but he "can't hide the life bars obviously"

On the subject of releasing powerful characters:

In Keits words:

"Releasing a weak character leads to very few people using it, and that makes buffing it a lot of guesswork.Where if you release a strong character, people use it and you find out quickly what the actual issues are."

On new characters:

-"Golem does something I don't think no other fighting character has ever done before and as a long time fighting game fan that really gets me going"
-Ghost girl being a "puppet character" would be hard to pull off due to engine reasons
-We are trying to bring to KI the crazy character archetypes of Blazblue or Guilty gear that fans of traditional fighting games are missing for not being fans of anime-style fighters. You are excluded from the cool character club"

On Eyedol and Gargos:

-"Many times I am at bed trying to think how to make Eyedol cool. I can't. Maybe somebody at the office comes one day and says "that's how we do it!"
"There's a million things I'd do rather than Eyedol"
-"Gargos has potential to be cool"

On why revamping ranked:

-Why did we fix ranked? Because there's an invisible problem: there's  virtually nobody between ranks 25 and 35, and that's a problem for matchmaking"
"In ranked's "best of 3 matches", you are locked with the same character for the 3 matches"

Keits is in favor of a PC port but:

"A PC port is more expensive than you think.The problem is to comply with the tons of rules of the platform you are making it for: steam, games for windows, xbox live... it's more than just making the game work"

Skab

The reading comprehension levels on the Ultra Combo forums are painfully low.

I'm honestly beginning to consider that place worse than the Battle.net forums, and that's fucking saying something.

.la1n

I'm honestly beginning to consider that place worse than the Battle.net forums, and that's fucking saying something.

It's not pretty over there. It wasn't when it was the Double Helix forums either. I feel for all the guys involved in the moderation of that place.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Yeah its really bad, maybe worse than ign boards.

dankir

Amy good tutorials on advanced thunder stuff? He was the character I mained when I first got KI on launch day. But holy moly I'm ass with him.

I've watched Max's tutorial and a few others but if anybody has anything recent.

Will refer to my prime game guide in the meantime.

Yeeah, it's pretty bad.

It's why I rarely post much over there, I usually just go to over to see if I'm able to talk about a specific character when I want.

IbukiLordSA

Looking forward to this at EVO was great news to hear it returning and in such a different state too when it first appeared, going to be hype.

dankir

Broccoli day is here!

Any news on when the trailer will be out? Past ones were 11am EST, if I remember correctly.

The streams are usually at 4:00 EST so I'd between noon and then.

Adam tweeted this about 24 hours ago:

Omen trailer is being music-ified and FX-ified. Still hoping for release tomorrow, likely in the late afternoon PST if all goes well!

That kind of sucks if it's not coming out 100% today.

DrDogg

I don't really see how the new ranking system fixes the problems of not having people ranked 25-35. People can't move down in rank in the new system, so there's only upward movement. That means eventually most players are in Gold or Killer leaving the lower ranks barren. Same problem only it impacts new players instead of people climbing in the mid-tier ranks.

I also don't understand how Gargos is any better than Eyedol. I always preferred Eyedol back in the KI1/2 days. I thought Gargos was bland and boring and I still do...

P.S. Silky should come back as Clothy.

Skab

I don't really see how the new ranking system fixes the problems of not having people ranked 25-35. People can't move down in rank in the new system, so there's only upward movement. That means eventually most players are in Gold or Killer leaving the lower ranks barren. Same problem only it impacts new players instead of people climbing in the mid-tier ranks.

I also don't understand how Gargos is any better than Eyedol. I always preferred Eyedol back in the KI1/2 days. I thought Gargos was bland and boring and I still do...

Ranks reset every month. It's a monthly race to be the top 32.

Doukou

I think Gargos being plain gives them more to work with. Redesigning Eyedol sounds hard because you have to redesign a 2 headed cyclops with a club and goat legs compared to a Gargoyle.

.la1n

I think Gargos being plain gives them more to work with. Redesigning Eyedol sounds hard because you have to redesign a 2 headed cyclops with a club and goat legs compared to a Gargoyle.

That's what I was thinking, Gargos seems a little more blank slate as far as updating his look with the new engine. It seems they are already leading into him making a return so I expect they are at least tossing the idea around of having him be the big bad for Season 3.

Synth

Ranks reset every month. It's a monthly race to be the top 32.

As far as I could tell, you would remain in your tier (or be promoted to a higher one) at the end of each month. So once you reach Gold, you're Gold forever. Once you reach Killer, you're Killer forever.

So what DrDogg says still applies.

dankir

Actually a question about the ranking system. I only play ranked to get the achievements. I'm level 16 about 230 wins - 175 losses. So I don't really care about my record being reset.

How well the 20 wins achievement count anyways? Do you need to win the 2 outta 3 set or does each match count towards that?

I prefer exhibition anyways because I'd rather play 5- 10 straight matches rather than on, especially If I lose then I'd want to play the opponent right away.

Also I'm totally down for the 2 outta 3 though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As far as the difference between Gargos and Eyedol... what personality did Eyedol even really have? Gargos is this ultimate antagonist for Jago, a pathway to extended lore for one of the main characters of KI...

... But iDol is pretty much just a big guy with tacked on moves and a large weapon. There's not much to him that you couldn't give to Tusk, or new characters. (Having Eyedol as the "Shadow Jago" to Tusk would actually be pretty cool, it done right).

The 2 personalities bit could be interesting, but that's basically a stance / state change, which we have a few characters covering already, and probably more to come.

He'd actually be a perfect bonus character for S3, in a way.

Anywho, looking forward to our first look at Golem t'day. And we get to see if Omen has had any big changes in such a small amount of time!

Top Bottom