• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I like what I saw, Aganos at the very least will feel completely fresh and interesting to play as.

Oh and Riptors premium accessories are amazing. Easily my favorite set so far.

dankir

I like what I saw, Aganos at the very least will feel completely fresh and interesting to play as.

Oh and Riptors premium accessories are amazing. Easily my favorite set so far.

I really hope he has option with gold in it! She already has fire breath!

fall_of_cybertron_grimlock___g1_style_by_grimbot-d5f0mr4.png

Is there any kind of de facto method for getting fast XP?

Obviously Fight Challenges are necessary but is there any specific mode with higher payouts than others that's just faster/more efficient?

Doukou

Is there any kind of de facto method for getting fast XP?

Obviously Fight Challenges are necessary but is there any specific mode with higher payouts than others that's just faster/more efficient?

Higher difficulty equals more XP by something of a multiple of 0.05

No tricks though. Just make sure to do stuff like combo break and vary Enders.

.la1n

Do Aganos' eyes always glow or only during instinct?

edit: okay yeah they do always glow, I don't like that. It looks like transparent tubes coming out of his face. I think it would be better served as an instinct aesthetic instead of a default one.

Didn't get to watch the full stream before going to work, but I like the look of Aganos. He definitely seems like he'll be hard to play effectively.

I'm eager to see if there's ways to safely set up walls and his big rock club. I look forward to playing him!

.la1n

Am I wrong In thinking Aganos' backstory said it was the last of its kind but there are two in the background of its stage?

The ultra could use some work too, it's a neat idea and I like it for the most part but the effects during the disintegration needs some work. It's too uniform. It should blow apart more sporadic.

Doukou

Am I wrong In thinking Aganos' backstory said it was the last of its kind but there are two in the background of its stage?

The ultra could use some work too, it's a neat idea and I like it for the most part but the effects during the disintegration needs some work. It's too uniform. It should blow apart more sporadic.

They are across the sea they are Egyptian golems obviously, he is Greek.

I'm guessing last sentient golem.

.la1n

I guess if the development team at Iron Galaxy laughs off the idea of any consistency in lore and story then we should to. Unfortunate because it can really add to a game.

The zoomed out camera necessary to accommodate the larger character of Aganos also hurts the overall aesthetic consistancy of the game. It would have been better to incorporate a character that fits into the framework already established. I understand they wanted to be creative but all It does is give the package an inconsistent visual direction.

I guess if the development team at Iron Galaxy laughs off the idea of any consistency in lore and story then we should to. Unfortunate because it can really add to a game.

I don't particularly mind it, mostly cause I'm not invested in the KI lore, but it's still somewhat strange to me since, didn't they hire Max as essentially the "keeper of the lore?"

.la1n

It seems to me that how Max looks at the game is sometimes at odds with how some of the current development team look at the game. I prefer Max's ideas, I will say that.

.la1n

Fantastic, the game absolutely needed an audio patch to make certain layers of the mix easier to hear and just be louder overall.

And did I read that last part right...they fined tuned some animations too?? Hope this type of stuff continues!

If they ever go back and touch up the Season 1 retro costumes I will probably pass out. It has to easily be the number one request from fans.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll never understand why people are afraid of different camera zoom levels, when we've had stuff like this...

samurai-shodown-earthquake.jpg
xmen-s4.gif
kusaregedo.png

...forever. Most of these examples are form early 90s for goodness sakes. These issues have been tried and tested for over 20 years. Why is it every time it happens, players act like the idea is starting over at square one? Same kind of panic happened when zoom was introduced in KoF XII.

Also, if you look at a lot of the S2 stages, you'll notice they put in some odd amount of work into the foreground layer. Such as with Maya's stage having some moving creatures and such in it. You can tell they've actually designed with this in mind, rather than came up with the idea at the last minute.

I really like the fact they were bold enough to take a step in this direction (I've been asking if we'd ever see "Giant" characters in game since S1, even in this very forum...), because I think this opens the way for an even larger space for character designs and Silhouettes.

KI is quick becoming less of a "that game you like, if you remember old KI", and more of a "that game you love, because it offers more respect for a wide variety of fighters, than almost any other fighting game". If Ghost Girl has a hard slash that does like 50% damage like Haohmaru, we'll have hit quite a lot of "Fighters greatest forgotten moments" within just the last 2 characters, haha.

---

As far as the Lore and Aganos; Well, it seems like everything in his background is RE-FORMING as you fight, unlike the usual destruction that occurs in this game. Perhaps the in-story reason is that he's trying to re-form his past brothers, in order to help with his centuries-old fights? It's pretty safe to assume that Story Mode cinematics and voice work have already started / completed recording by now. I doubt they have such a glaring issue as multiples of a character who'se existence depends on being the last of it's kind. (If they do, then HAHA, and lets laugh at them for days once they own up to it! Because that'd be amazingly bad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if this has SOMETHING to do with Tusk in season 3 either, since setting up the presence of what is technically another faction to the KI story gives a wide room for new character creations. I like the fact that Kan Ra and Aganos story don't insta-hinge on "UltraTECH pissed them off, so now they seek vengeance." It already makes the lore feel much bigger than it did, even just as recently as S1.

---

The audio updates (and... Animation? Why was this mentioned in a SOUND post?) sound great, surely. Hopefully this removes the odd volume cut-outs that happen in some stages, as well. And Riptor's stage surely needed more Oomph to it's music.

All in All, this update seems pretty huge, and Iron Galaxy (and the internal Microsoft dev team) is really starting to prove themselves. I REALLY would love to see commentary from Double Helix on the direction things have gone, and how far the implemented ideas are from the ones they had. KI is doing so much to EARN it's next season right now, rather than just coasting by on Nostalgia-icons like Cinder and Maya. That's extremely encouraging to see, not even just for this game, but as an example for how a gaming revival project should be handled. Imagine how great it'd be to see Sega or Konami (with their hold on Hudson...) put this kind of past-respecting, future-proofing love into their old properties...

rrc1594

Question? Do you think that KI would be the same amazing game with out Combo breaking system? I see all-time people say I would play KI, but I don't like the combo breaking system. Which I don't understand because that what makes KI amazing to me those mind-games. IMO in tournament play you don't see a lot of combo breaking in the first place

tapedeck

If they ever go back and touch up the Season 1 retro costumes I will probably pass out. It has to easily be the number one request from fans.
Yes from what Ive seen its easily the most unanimously agreed upon issue by the fans from S1.

Adam started bypassing questions about when S1 classics would be fixed, which is annoying but not neccesarily a sign it won't happen. My guess is between S2 and S3, or maybe
hopefully
as a final S2 patch Bayliss will either revise the existing classics or make all new ones.

They simply cannot ignore such a viciously requested change in a 'community driven' game forever.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Question? Do you think that KI would be the same amazing game with out Combo breaking system?

Depends. Old KI was little more than it's CB systems. As time went on... that's its strongest contribution to fighters, but everything else was lackluster, or unrefined. This is OK, as it never got to really MEET the refinement that came from series that persisted on beyond it.

Now, new KI is a reflection of everything in fighters, not just it's own series. It's like a western made Blazblue; it has it's own defined systems, sure, but it also pulls in unique components on a per-character basis. These components borrow from all types of fighters; 2D, 3D, DOA, "Anime", traditional, modern, SNK, Capcom, etc. To me, it already has a solid place as being the only modern western 3D graphics fighter that properly respects the eastern game's foundations. MK goes in it's own direction, which is well and good, but I NEVER get the same type of fun from the Neatherrelm / Midway games, because they don't scratch the same skill, aesthetic, or muscle-memory notches as the fighters I enjoy more.

If old KI's combo-breakers were rhythm and advantage destroying before (like many claim counters are in DOA), then I think new KI's are just a unique layer to mindgame, much like dropping combos early, or baiting people in to thinking you're going for difficult links, or risky Oki gambles. It might not be PERFECT, but it's one of the most legit, layered attempts to make "active, aggressive defense" work in a fighter, since the creation of various parry systems.

Yes from what Ive seen its easily the most unanimously agreed upon issue by the fans from S1.

Adam started bypassing questions about when S1 classics would be fixed, which is annoying but not neccesarily a sign it won't happen. My guess is between S2 and S3, or maybe
hopefully
as a final S2 patch Bayliss will either revise the existing classics or make all new ones.

They simply cannot ignore such a viciously requested change in a 'community driven' game forever.

The more we see, the more I'm glad they're smartly doing what they can with what they've made (such as add colors to accessories), because I think that IMMEDIATELY adds more to the game, and is probably swifter for them to reach a certain quality on.

If they were not working on the things they are now, I'd be more agitated. Or if they were waiting till season's end for new characters costumes and accessories. But instead we're getting new-and-old character balance changes, retros and premium accessories for characters just released, occasional new accessories for past characters, and brand new characters with full stages and base accessory packs out of the gate. On top of a new ranked gameplay system, with new rewards for new higher levels, all retro and pro-active to past and future characters. And in an amazing twist, none of this has cost extra, or been "outside of the season pass".

I really hope we get a (less time restrictive) "bonus season 2.5" for refinements after they're done with S2. Once they're still patching things that arise with Cinder and Aria, hopefully that's when they can spit-shine and possibly re-create things that were lacking previously. Not just for S1 people, but even S2 characters.

I doubt all the Dojo's for each character, and full S2 story mode stuff will go off without any hitches, so they're likely to be forced to update even after season's end. Bi-monthly or per 6 weeks updates after everything is originally set, would be quite nice, akin to the kind of work Capcom put into Omega Edition. And cleaning out the backend should actually make S3 much easier to manage and maintain, as they'd start from a stronger, more stable foundation.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
One idea I have is an in combo damage gambling system

Pressing either a punch or kick of same strength of the move you are being hit by will drastically reduce or eliminate the white damage the combo move adds... getting the wrong strength will increase the white damage it adds ...

they can work the system so it applies to both the current moves strength and previous moves strength.... So you can do half the white damage or double the white damage.... And depending on how mix heavy the player is being.... Someone could weigh the benefit of doing the gamble or the break... (66% chance at blind guessing if they're constantly mixing up or 33% if they're just doing the same thing)

maybe 5 correct guesses in a row could lead to a reversal or something.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DopeyFish: Y'know, I think that would have been a great alt to flat our air counter breakers, in a way. I still feel like adding a guaranteed damage situation on occasion is SMART in games that offer constant breaks. Juggle enders and anti-airs felt less useful when they became breakable.

I wonder if your idea would be too much NOW though, on top of everything else?

Good to see it all collected, especially with all the info that was presented! Thanks.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DopeyFish: Y'know, I think that would have been a great alt to flat our air counter breakers, in a way. I still feel like adding a guaranteed damage situation on occasion is SMART in games that offer constant breaks. Juggle enders and anti-airs felt less useful when they became breakable.

I wonder if your idea would be too much NOW though, on top of everything else?

Good to see it all collected, especially with all the info that was presented! Thanks.

The way i see it... you're still getting damaged... you're just trying to lessen it... since you're just mitigating potential.

If you let them get to level 4, you're still getting hurt badly. Also... whenever you gamble, sometimes you'll lose. I just see a combo break as an all in.

I think it would be an interesting mechanic as combo break would push you to diversify your combo string, but the white damage gambling would push you to simplify your combo strings. (if using last 2 strengths) maybe a system like last strength = 50% decrease, strength before = 25% decrease (if both are same, then the greater % applies), wrong strength = 50% increase?

It wouldn't be too much as it's optional. If someone is doing basic combos with one strength, the defender would have to recognize and go for break as gambling would not be the wise choice.

It would be a mechanic best suited for the highest of high level players, but there'd be enough to engage even the low level players to participate... if you're at 66% chance and doing it blind, you'd typically see a net reduction of 2.5% damage.

A seasoned player would probably stick with last press

Pro player may be able to pull off first press, mixed in with reversals? Yeeee

But it would have to be a mechanic that can be shown to an audience and highlight the difficulty. Doing a reversal in tournament level would be super difficult, too.

But yeah... then there's the issue of when is it too much? It would also widen the skill gap...

.la1n

Who do you guys think should be the lead in character for a possible season 3? I was thinking Tusk and then finish the season with Kim Wu.

rrc1594

Who do you guys think should be the lead in character for a possible season 3? I was thinking Tusk and then finish the season with Kim Wu.

Kim Wu,but I'm sucka with Nunchucks, I never payed OG KI, but they don't seem like fan fav like TJ, Clinder and Fulgore. Will there be much hype for them?

.la1n

Kim Wu,but I'm sucka with Nunchucks, I never payed OG KI, but they don't seem like fan fav like TJ, Clinder and Fulgore. Will there be much hype for them?

They won't be on the same level as other characters but I think people who played the originals are still excited to see them make their return.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
S3 Lead? Tusk and a new antagonist / comrade for him.

• Fairly simple character. A guy with a sword. Good Poster boy.
  • Sets the story tone easily.
  • Aria will be our last this season, so having a male next would be ideal.

Doukou

I think Gargos will be last, I think Kim Wu would be first since she originally had more story elements with Gargos that I think they would bring back, making her a protagonist for season 3. Tusk would probably be middle.

I wonder if Aganos' trailer will be in a similar style as Riptor. Omen was a bonus and had trailer problems so it makes sense that they wouldn't make a similar trailer.

tapedeck

I'm certainly encouredged by IG's steady revision/upgrading of existing content but TBH I wont be at all 'satisfied' with KI as a package until certain (albeit superficial) missteps have been addressed. Of course fixing S1 classics but also updating the In-game HUD significantly. I thought the HUD was visually lacking even at KI's launch over a year ago, you can imagine how I feel about it now. Hell it doesn't even match the current art direction. Fully expecting a complete UI overhaul with more of a traditional KI look for S3.

But overall I agree with you that having a game constantly upgraded is a great value and act on good faith of the devs. And of course it's exciting and keeps the community engaged.

I will say this latest round of nerfs has me kinda worried, I'd much rather leave characters who are dominant or 'OP' mostly untouched unless they're gamebreakingly broken and give the weaker characters some tools to catch up, isn't that what makes a game fun? Id really hate to see this game Injustice'd into oblivion. Forced character parity will eventually result in a less fun and dynamic experience.

Will there ever be a killer instinct 2 or will it always be season passes. With the sale next week I think I'll bite on the complete collection

Will there ever be a killer instinct 2 or will it always be season passes. With the sale next week I think I'll bite on the complete collection

Possibly, eventually. If they do a full blown sequel it won't be for a long, long time I imagine.

Right now it's pretty much a sure thing that we're getting a season 3. So the current version of KI has a long life still ahead of it.

Possibly, eventually. If they do a full blown sequel it won't be for a long, long time I imagine.

Right now it's pretty much a sure thing that we're getting a season 3. So the current version of KI has a long life still ahead of it.

I see, it would have been cool if this game were to stay as a F2P type game

bumpkin

Man, I played KI for the first time in several weeks and tried Arcade mode for the first time since season 2 came out. Good fucking god, it goes from challenging to GTFO NOOB in no time fast by the second or third to last character. The damn AI is psychic when it comes to combo breakers whether you're trying the same strength linkers over and over or changing them up. I wanted to throw my joystick trying to beat Omen (using Orchid). Like, I get that they wanted to make him visually interesting and ethereal, but the fucking effects make it really hard to keep a beat on what's going on. And good god, his attacks are so fucking broken. I swear the AI landed a 20+ hit combo on me spamming the slide kick and his Chun-Li lightning kick move.

I suppose it doesn't help that Orchid isn't my main (Jago is), but I'm not shabby with her. I used to get just as far with her as I did Jago in survival mode (mid 20's, typically).

TL;DR- I'm pretty much never playing Arcade mode again. I can only stomach psychic combo breaking and near constant blocking for so long.

Man, I played KI for the first time in several weeks and tried Arcade mode for the first time since season 2 came out. Good fucking god, it goes from challenging to GTFO NOOB in no time fast by the second or third to last character. The damn AI is psychic when it comes to combo breakers whether you're trying the same strength linkers over and over or changing them up. I wanted to throw my joystick trying to beat Omen (using Orchid). Like, I get that they wanted to make him visually interesting and ethereal, but the fucking effects make it really hard to keep a beat on what's going on. And good god, his attacks are so fucking broken. I swear the AI landed a 20+ hit combo on me spamming the slide kick and his Chun-Li lightning kick move.

I suppose it doesn't help that Orchid isn't my main (Jago is), but I'm not shabby with her. I used to get just as far with her as I did Jago in survival mode (mid 20's, typically).

TL;DR- I'm pretty much never playing Arcade mode again. I can only stomach psychic combo breaking and near constant blocking for so long.

First time I played arcade I got my ass kicked in the first match. What's the point of making the AI that fucking insane?

Well i imagine when the next true sequel rolls around they will already have over 20+ characters as part of the roster, then they could do the F2P thing adding new characters to that.

I could see that, would be hilarious if they started reselling the same characters (I don't think they would have audacity to do that)

Top Bottom