• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

.la1n

It has to be today though, Adam said we'd be getting it this week.

I'm hoping at least.

Oh, didn't realize Adam had said we were getting it this week for sure. It will pop some time today then, hopefully with a release of the character tomorrow for Ultra edition owners ;)

Doukou

Ah, fridays. The day my twitter blows up with asks about trailers and textual streams. Maybe today will be a day for both... #KillerInstinct

Adam Isgreen's Twitter
Believe

.la1n

Ah, fridays. The day my twitter blows up with asks about trailers and textual streams. Maybe today will be a day for both... #KillerInstinct

Adam Isgreen's Twitter
Believe

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

OMG. I hope those white effects are part of her.. Most see more!

Edit: I loved the little story for Aganos chasing after Kan-Ra throughout the world, hah.

We finally have custom color accessories which is pretty neat, and they buffed up the XP as well. But I'm still going to so much to do when I get KI. xP

Cyber Riptor looks pretty awesome, I especially love the head. Kan-Ra's retro is about what I expected for him. Lol. Funny how he was the character that would be getting the Top Hat accessory. Unexpected! One thing though, I don't like his red eye. It looks odd. (Sabrewulf pupils)

I'm excited for the possibility of Team Battles being shown at Pax East. >.<

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh heh, like how Aganos trailer is his quest to reach his adversary. Travelling on... showing off one skill per opponent at a time. Also kinda nice seeing Kan-Ra being enough of a badass to WELCOME his opponent to fight, rather than just being sneaky and running.

Ghost Girl... Saw more than expected! EESH her face stretches FAR out... AND THOSE TEETH! Like a Piranha or something. The double-exposed filter on her effects are pretty nice; and they actually seem to be showing frames that she hasn't done yet, rather than just mimicking what's already been done. That could be pretty cool if it works like that in gameplay... and could lead to misleading opponents in what breakers to do.

But probably reading too much into it? Hmm.

Gotta wait ANOTHER week after waiting a week for this trailer... DOH! Oh well. Sorry Combo Breaker owners, who have to wait until the new month to get Aggy! I do wish it was a surprise "closer than you think" release...

so pumped to see some ghost girl gameplay at PAX!

A littled bummed out having to wait a week for arganos, but its no big deal. So awesome at all the new stuff that is coming with his update too. I'm so excited :D

Doukou

Ghost lady looks great. Her face animation looked a bit eh but she's got time. Cool trailer, though Aganos looked a bit silly in the background traveling shots ;p.
Aganos and Kan-Ra seem to be the neutral characters this time, so I wonder if the split will be 2-4 good vs bad or 3-3 good vs bad(depending on Ghost Girl's orientation, Omen is kinda neutral in this affair.)
Love the Xp changes, only 9 extra levels for most characters ain't bad at all. Also Kan-Ra retro is great, love the fancy version.
Also female announcer seems to be coming and no longer teetering on maybe which is great.

Aganos's release date is the biggest disappointment, it just sucks knowing people are going to wait till march for him.

Jinaar

Ok that trailer is going to get me back into KI. But I need help. Because I'm currently useless when playing this game.

In Guilty Gear Xrd, I can play on normal or hard and play against AI opponents without much effort.

In Killer Instinct, I put it on EASY and it takes 30 minutes to beat the first story opponent. The AI is just brutally amazing at all difficulties. Or am I just super poor? (I'm super poor!)

When I play KI, I try to always do stupid special move openers, ignoring the basics how I play say in SF4, chipping away with ranged moves/overheads/dashes. Should I be focusing on trying to simply use basic attacks and special moves and IF an opportunity arises, then try to go into an Opener/Linker?

Also, are there certain intermediate skills I should be focusing on, like Manuals? Doing them in practice mode is a challenge. I can't imagine during a live fight and not spazzing out.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I loved that trailer, more effort for an actual story is always a good thing, KI needs more of it. Cant wait to mess around with the new colored accessories and make some cool outfits...especially with TJ.

Ghost Girl looks ok, Im not overly excited about her Zombie-ish look, was kinda hoping for something more human looking be it all stark-white skin or just a.... ghostly look lol. I bet her classic will be the human version of her though which should be very cool. I love the 'static' effects on her straight outta The Ring haha. She should be very fun to just watch in action.

Also those XP boosts are music to my ears, I just do not have the free time in the current XP model to level up all these characters.

Skab

So, from the textual stream

Earlier, we’d teased some of the upcoming cast’s powers, so here’s ones for the three remaining characters:

It’s over in a snap.
It’s time for a change.
I shudder to think about the next hit.

They should be pretty obvious, really. =)

Wonder what change means for Cinder

tapedeck

Maybe cinder isn't a super crazy in your face character now

Forward forward punch all day everyday
Eh, I really hope he's crazy rush down and very very fast. Just seems like that's what he should be. Also it's possible those hints aren't in order of the character releases, who knows.

vg260

What? Are they hinting a tag team mode?

Not really.

from their site about the panel:
As you can see in the description, we'll be giving out rare KI pins, answering Q&A, showing off one of our big new modes, and revealing our next character (ghost girl) live... and with a lot more than just concept art!

From today's Q&A:
Q: Any word on new game modes, like Tag Team or anything else? I thought more news would come by now for other game modes. Just curious
A: PAX East!

It's not really a hint about anything specific, just that we'll be hearing more info there

vg260

From the Q&A:
Q: Will ARIA have hair?
A: Depends on what you consider hair.

"I shudder to think about the next hit."

Aria could be some sort of cybernetic woman encased in some sort of tube or chamber or some cybernetic equipment with cables for hair attached it it. Maybe sort sort of chamber with "shutters". I dunno just thinking out loud.

Skab

Aria
Cinder
Ghost Girl

Or

Aria
Ghost girl
Cinder

Ghost girl, Cinder, Aria.

Snap = ghost girls pause/ff like movements. She snaps around, which you can already see in the trailer.

Change = Cinder, they've alluded to him being a bit different than his original KI self.

Which leaves Aria last.

.la1n

I loved that trailer, more effort for an actual story is always a good thing, KI needs more of it. Cant wait to mess around with the new colored accessories and make some cool outfits...especially with TJ.

Ghost Girl looks ok, Im not overly excited about her Zombie-ish look, was kinda hoping for something more human looking be it all stark-white skin or just a.... ghostly look lol. I bet her classic will be the human version of her though which should be very cool. I love the 'static' effects on her straight outta The Ring haha. She should be very fun to just watch in action.

Also those XP boosts are music to my ears, I just do not have the free time in the current XP model to level up all these characters.

Yeah I was hoping they wouldn't go too zombie with the design but unfortunately I was wrong, not a big fan of it at all but look forward to seeing game play anyway. On the bright side I would imagine her "retro" look could be her human form :)

Really not a big fan of them pushing combo breaker release into the next month for two months now. As an ultra owner it's great to get one character a month but it doesn't feel very special getting that week early access when I know that week early access just means I actually get one character a month as promised versus everyone else not being so lucky.

I was hoping Kan-Ra's retro would be more classic mummy, it's too bad they didn't cover his mouth up though. What is going on with that mouth? Looks stupid, lol.

Skab

Also ever since we first saw her silhouette in season 1, I've pictured Aria to be a bald chick like Jack from Mass Effect, and I'm kind of sad that that isn't going to be the case.

vg260

I was hoping Kan-Ra's retro would be more classic mummy, it's too bad they didn't cover his mouth up though. What is going on with that mouth? Looks stupid, lol.

What do you mean by more classic mummy?

Also ever since we first saw her silhouette in season 1, I've pictured Aria to be a bald chick like Jack from Mass Effect, and I'm kind of sad that that isn't going to be the case.

Maybe bald but with cables attached to something.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Her skin doesn't look very zombie-ish. It's pale, but there's no decay or missing chunks; there's a cut on one of her legs, though. Kan-Ra is more zombie than she is, so I think she stands out OK. She gives me that "died in a well, so oddly well-preserved" look that most of the Ring-style girls have. I wouldn't worry too much about colors just yet, as we know there have to be up to 9 of them, NOT counting retro colors... so a difference in skintone could easily be in the cards (like Kan-Ra's flesh).

I'd love to see her have some motions that are clearly NOT "dead" like, too. It's not within the realm of a zombie to act anything like a normal girl... but we already know she can speak Japanese...so maybe she can do some live human-like actions too? Going between lively and monstrous should help illustrate the feeling of horror well.

I'm not so sure on the classic yet... would they give her a human look, with teeth and stretching like that? I'll laugh if her "retro" is actually a "modern" look, with her getting clothes and hair that look more like a girl of this decade, rather than one of 465 years ago.

Really not a big fan of them pushing combo breaker release into the next month for two months now. As an ultra owner it's great to get one character a month but it doesn't feel very special getting that week early access when I know that week early access just means I actually get one character a month as promised versus everyone else not being so lucky.

Well, if one month was pushed forward a few days, and the next is also, they're still basically a month from each other's release. Not IDEAL by a long shot, but the space in time is the same for Ultra and Combo, at least.

Considering they put a lot of work into animating Kan Ra's mouth, I guess they don't wanna cover it. His grin is easily one of his defining features (even seen in his pre-release silhouette!). Would be nice to have a head swap that makes him look moth-covered and "Ninja Like" though. I'm rather happy with the tophat look, and the "Lab" look reminds me of dead miners on mnt. Mjolnir in Ragnarok Online's Dead Pit... a place of great and horrific memories for me, ha.

SkelWorkerCard.JPG

She could easily have a bald head with "flame/energy/nano-machine" hair, or something of the sort. Though going for something based off a classic movie beast would be fitting for KI, I don't get the idea that she's medusa-like or such... yet.

vg260

I didn't word that well. I meant before we saw the retro I was hoping that Kan-Ra's retro would be classic mummy and I was glad that it turns out it is.

Oh yeah, same. I like his original, but glad they made him straight up mummy.
His mouth looks a bit odd though. I just wish they would have given him another alt instead of the goggle/apron thing like Sabrwwulf already had.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A tag mode would be freaking awesome but I'm not sure that's what we'll be getting.

Even still, I'm excited to see what they have planned.

We know one of the big modes is an SP mode

So maybe that's the one they'll be showcasing

Hoping for a challenge tower type mode

Pretty random but I wonder if "over in a snap" refers to time and Aria can control it. Maybe explains Ultratech being able to harness ancient technology.

I think change refers to Cinder (being an old character) and shudder refers to Ghost Girl being a reference to horror and the textual thing saying Aganos can attack her but to his detriment.

tapedeck

Her skin doesn't look very zombie-ish. It's pale, but there's no decay or missing chunks; there's a cut on one of her legs, though. Kan-Ra is more zombie than she is, so I think she stands out OK. She gives me that "died in a well, so oddly well-preserved" look that most of the Ring-style girls have. I wouldn't worry too much about colors just yet, as we know there have to be up to 9 of them, NOT counting retro colors... so a difference in skintone could easily be in the cards (like Kan-Ra's flesh).
Yeah maybe 'Zombie-ish' isn't accurate, I guess she doesn't really look like a traditional Zombie. My main issue is her teeth and face are just much more...Monster-ish??..than I wanted. I just feel at this point KI has enough Horror/Halloween types and could use some more traditional Martial Art style characters (sure Kim-Wu is most likely coming but that's a ways away in S3), I know they want each character to feel unique/shocking so I do get what theyre aiming for. And yeah with 9 colors/4 accessory sets there's bound to be at least one combination that will give me something close to what I wanted (if the retro doesn't)

I'd love to see her have some motions that are clearly NOT "dead" like, too. It's not within the realm of a zombie to act anything like a normal girl... but we already know she can speak Japanese...so maybe she can do some live human-like actions too? Going between lively and monstrous should help illustrate the feeling of horror well.
Totally agree.

I'm not so sure on the classic yet... would they give her a human look, with teeth and stretching like that? I'll laugh if her "retro" is actually a "modern" look, with her getting clothes and hair that look more like a girl of this decade, rather than one of 465 years ago.
I think they could pull off a human look if they wanted, it doesn't have to be completely human maybe just more superficial and then of course the terror look comes out in her animations would be great. And yeah I'd love to see a modern/trendy J-Pop girl be one of her 'classic' accessory sets lol.

That's cool the free character can be from season 2, it was neat to be able to mess about with Riptor. I've forgotten most of what I had learned from my first run through of the dojo though. Once the dojo gets done for all characters I'll actually try and give the game more attention, I'd love to be decent at playing at least one fighting game!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah maybe 'Zombie-ish' isn't accurate, I guess she doesn't really look like a traditional Zombie. My main issue is her teeth and face are just much more...Monster-ish??..than I wanted. I just feel at this point KI has enough Horror/Halloween types and could use some more traditional Martial Art style characters (sure Kim-Wu is most likely coming but that's a ways away in S3), I know they want each character to feel unique/shocking so I do get what theyre aiming for. And yeah with 9 colors/4 accessory sets there's bound to be at least one combination that will give me something close to what I wanted (if the retro doesn't)

Yeah, I don't think anyone expected such huge rows of teeth, or for her to stretch THAT much. It still might not mean much for her final form, though. Kan-Ra's face stretching from his trailer only shows up in his dusty breath move, otherwise, he's much more sensibly animated.

I'm a bit torn on it. I love the fact they're going for such crazy animation, as it's all the 2D-favoring stuff that is said to keep Capcom from attempting things like 3D darkstalkers. So to see Keits possibly get to make a DS love letter with a character like this will be fantastic. At the same time, I agree that it'd be kinda a shame if we get a legit Japanese character in the game, and she just uses "stock ghost motions" as her attacks, or such. Lets hope she's much more complex than that, and tries to be unnerving, by being fairly innocent / human one second, and then beasty / monstrous the next.

I always loved the fact that Hibiki in Last Blade 2's story mode went from an innocent girl who couldn't believe she killed someone... to a harsh, emotionless killer by games end, if you made her kill opponents. I hope we can see something like that in Ghost Girl's gameplay! The side that wanted to live, and the side that wants to get revenge for being denied that, all rolled into one.

Totally agree.
Oh, and one thing that gives me hope, is that Adam did mention once that she could be seen as cute in some ways, on one of those KI Forum post. If she's always looking monstrous and such, I don't think that'd be possible.

I think they could pull off a human look if they wanted, it doesn't have to be completely human maybe just more superficial and then of course the terror look comes out in her animations would be great. And yeah I'd love to see a modern/trendy J-Pop girl be one of her 'classic' accessory sets lol.

It'd be funny if they did things like turn her Piranha teeth into human teeth for the classic alt, lol. Capcom DID give us Hsien Ko's / Lei-Lei's Sister Mei Ling / Lin-Lin as an alt skin for her in UMVC3...

I DO hope her default outfit being kinda normal in design gives them the excuse to go crazy with the robes colors and designs. We can pretty much more or less get Shrine Maiden, Burial Robes, Funeral Robes, and seasonal Hakama designs all out of this one look. Thus, her classic should hopefully be outside of those limits, and on to something either more modern, or maybe even more warrior-like. (Various Japanese armor designs could be interesting.)

vg260

Just a heads up that Killer Instinct pools from Winter Brawl will be streamed around 4:00PM EST today on http://www.twitch.tv/kpblive

If anyone wants something to watch this afternoon.

Yes, thanks.

Hope there are some Kan-Ras. He's probably my favorite fighter in a long time in any fighter. Love me some mummies. I finally started playing online, and man do I get blown up. He's just not my normal style so using him is a struggle.

Can't wait for next Friday.

Top Bottom