• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I would like to see Ultimates return, I actually prefer them over stage Ultras but I'll take what I can get. As for all the work involved, I'm sure they could tone it down where it doesn't have to be as cinematic as Shagos, just perform the ultimate as the combo ender and the match is over instantly. (Same as in KI1/2)

Though of course I'd love it if they could all be full Anime like Shagos but yeah probably a ton of work to do that.

.la1n

One thing I'd like to see for a possible Season 3 is multiple intros and outros. It can get a bit grating watching the same win animations over and over. It does help break it up that the stage ultras generally have some different win poses but I'd like to see more implemented into regular fight endings.

edit: or just allow us to skip the ending animations like with the intros and get right into the next fight, for as many hours as I put into the game it can get a bit tedious. I also hope they tighten up the stage load times because they are the worse I have seen in the game currently.

One thing I'd like to see for a possible Season 3 is multiple intros and outros. It can get a bit grating watching the same win animations over and over. It does help break it up that the stage ultras generally have some different win poses but I'd like to see more implemented into regular fight endings.

I would love to see this as well. Along with character specific intros.

Not sure when, but they have been saying it for awhile

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=4772.msg85003#msg85003

Here is a more recent example, 9:05, with Ken Lobb explaining some of the reasons why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe0EM0vXTuQ

In the Ken Lobb video he does not say anything about a reboot he even said he wasn't the right guy to answer the question. He is simply talking about why they did the time travel in KI 2 and that the storyline isn't always going to be explained in detail.

That guy's post in the first link does say its a reboot but that really doesn't jive with what has been said in the past and actually in game. The characters intros and outros in story mode make it clear this is continuing from KI 2.

Only thing I can think of is that Double Helix was doing it as a sequel but now Lobb and Iron galaxy want to do what they want without respecting continuity.

hwalker84

In the Ken Lobb video he does not say anything about a reboot he even said he wasn't the right guy to answer the question. He is simply talking about why they did the time travel in KI 2 and that the storyline isn't always going to be explained in detail.

That guy's post in the first link does say its a reboot but that really doesn't jive with what has been said in the past and actually in game. The characters intros and outros in story mode make it clear this is continuing from KI 2.

Only thing I can think of is that Double Helix was doing it as a sequel but now Lobb and Iron galaxy want to do what they want without respecting continuity.

Yes it does. The game has been a reboot since the double helix days. Not sure how you missed the boat.

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-for-xbox-ones-story-will-be-a-reboot-of-sorts/

A couple of days ago during the most recent Killer Instinct stream from PlayXBLA, I asked the developers a question about the story for the upcoming game. Specifically, I asked if it would be following the events of Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2/Gold. If you were hoping to find out what happened after the defeat Gargos, then I’m afraid that will have to be left to your imagination, as the story will be a reboot.

The main reason for not continuing after KI 2 is because they wouldn’t exactly know where to begin. There were so many different endings to go by that would be difficult to decided which exactly would be the true ending. So instead. Double Helix said they will be taking specific story elements of the characters that they liked and will be utilizing those for their new rebooted story. This, of course, is fairly obvious. Chief Thunder is still searching for his brother Eagle, Glacius still crash landed on Earth, Sabrewulf is still attempting to cure himself of Lycanthropy and so forth.

I was honestly hoping for a follow-up, but I think Double Helix made the right decision here. With the way the game is being developed and so many years having passed by, a reboot is likely what the story needs. Plus, they are doing a huge fan service by ensuring that the old characters are maintaining their popular and well-known backgrounds. That, to me, was always my one big concern.

Yes it does. The game has been a reboot since the double helix days. Not sure how you missed the boat.

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-for-xbox-ones-story-will-be-a-reboot-of-sorts/

I clearly remember at the reveal that main double helix guy going into detail how Jago was betrayed by the tiger spirit/gargos after KI 2 and how that's going to impact his attitude in the new game because he has learnedthat everything he believed in was a lie, etc.

I clearly remember at the reveal that main double helix guy going into detail how Jago was betrayed by the tiger spirit/gargos after KI 2 and how that's going to impact his attitude in the new game because he has learnedthat everything he believed in was a lie, etc.

It's a reboot, but we picked certain story aspects and character traits from KI 1 and 2's stories to bring forwards into the new one.

However, you should really just see the new KI as a reboot. It's easier on the brain.

It's a soft reboot. It's taking a lot of story beats from the first two games as if they happened, but is not beholden to them in case they want to do something different. It's effectively a new canon. They have been pretty clear about this for a while now.

I know nothing about this series but I figured this was a good place to ask: my father played Killer Instinct on the N64 and he was surprised when I brought up that a new one was made for the Xbox One but he was disheartened when Tusk wasn't in it. Does he have a chance at coming back?

I know nothing about this series but I figured this was a good place to ask: my father played Killer Instinct on the N64 and he was surprised when I brought up that a new one was made for the Xbox One but he was disheartened when Tusk wasn't in it. Does he have a chance at coming back?

If there is a season three tusk will definitely be there.

Tusk is confirmed for season 3 provided that it does happen and it's most likely going to happen considering all the teases for it.

Probably get an announcement at E3 with release in the fall.

I need tips vs KanRA. My friend will put the swarms out so I can't approach and when I hesitate I get grabbed. Worse is when he puts the swarms out and I block I always get thrown. I don't really have a main but Riptor, Orchid and Aganos I had some luck with against him.

.la1n

I need tips vs KanRA. My friend will put the swarms out so I can't approach and when I hesitate I get grabbed. Worse is when he puts the swarms out and I block I always get thrown. I don't really have a main but Riptor, Orchid and Aganos I had some luck with against him.

Remember you can destroy swarms. Neutral jump to avoid the grabs.

Doc Morbid

Neo Member
Man, I haven't played this in months (probably not since my latest ragequit in the Shadow Jago boss fight, actually, which I think is the last time I posted in the thread as well :D). Gotta get back to it when Cinder comes out, because he used to be my man in the SNES game.

(Yes, I only played him because he was the only character I could do decent combos with)

Doukou

Wonder what info we are getting if any Friday.
No Q/A thread for questions, no Cinder twitch stream since Isgreen said not ready.
Maybe a stream date or more info about Shadows which is also coming out.

Shadows are supposed to be coming this month right? Probably a safe bet we'll get some information about it tomorrow unless something has changed in regards to its release.

tapedeck

rush down cinder ftw

inferno is worst move ever
Yeah, I'm rooting for Cinder to be the fastest character in the game and completely rushdown. Selfishly I'm hoping he's one of strongest characters too..at least top 3.

stn

Is Sabrefwulf considered easy to use? Looking through characters to main and he seems the most simple. I don't want to devote too much time to this game.

Is Sabrefwulf considered easy to use? Looking through characters to main and he seems the most simple. I don't want to devote too much time to this game.

Yes. Wulf is probably the easiest character to use because of his inputs (only up,down and back,forward) and his combo trait lets him skip linkers. Skipping linkers doesn't usually work in high level play but if you're just looking to mess around then yes Sabrewulf is the easiest to use.

.la1n

I would have preferred Cinder to not have the mouth on the mask, that's the point of the ability to expose his face. Still a great design though and that's just a small nitpick. His move set sounds incredible, I think he's going to look very flashy when played (no pun intended.) I understand his invisible moves not making a come back, I never cared for them anyway.

Can't wait to see the stream next week and get a look at all of it in motion. Also looking forward to seeing his stage.

stn

Ok so, I'm an SF player that wants to figure this game out. Let's say I play Sabrewulf, would this type of gameplan make sense in the context of KI:

-Safe pressure with light ragged edge
-AA with light eclipse
-When given an opening, link into combo

I've played so much Street Fighter that I literally play every other fighter like Street Fighter. Any beginner guides or whatever? Thanks all.

Ok so, I'm an SF player that wants to figure this game out. Let's say I play Sabrewulf, would this type of gameplan make sense in the context of KI:

-Safe pressure with light ragged edge
-AA with light eclipse
-When given an opening, link into combo

I've played so much Street Fighter that I literally play every other fighter like Street Fighter. Any beginner guides or whatever? Thanks all.

there is actually a guide for street fighter players trying to learn KI lol

http://ki.infil.net/

Cinder seems fairly complex just reading his moveset. A lot of things to take into account when playing as or against him. Really excited to see him in action.

El Sabroso

Moveset for Cinder looks fun so far, I'm really expecting the stream next week or so, cannot wait to see it in action...

As for the Instinct, I expected something like, he being burning you causing potential damage when close to oponent or something like that.

New trailblazer proprieties and the launcher options makes me more interested on the character

tapedeck

So they did add the mouth back on his mask, ugh looked way better with no mouth IMO. Unless maybe that's just old concept art? Meh.

Moveset sounds pretty cool, with the exception of placing bombs..that isnt exactly how envisioned Cinder.

tapedeck

Cinder 1

Cinder 2

Holy shit part 2 hhnngg

Edit: Oh, and he just put up a bonus third one.
blown_away_maxell_guy-33955.gif

.la1n

So they did add the mouth back on his mask, ugh looked way better with no mouth IMO. Unless maybe that's just old concept art? Meh.

Moveset sounds pretty cool, with the exception of placing bombs..that isnt exactly how envisioned Cinder.

The majority of the community favors the mouth-less version. As usual our feedback is welcome until it's something they don't feel like changing. No idea who thought it was a good idea, makes him look too alien which I thought was the whole point of not going with the original concept to begin with. I wish I had never seen the one from last week's textual stream because now I know it was so close to being perfect but someone decided to mess it up.

It's funny because people say "oh don't worry he'll have a mask with no mouth as an accessory." They never do that with any of the characters. Although it's an obvious thing to do it just never happens. Look at Orchid, they could have added a head with no goggles and people would have been happy but nah why do that, we can get cyber punk reject head instead. Also I love the rest of the design so having retro Cinder doesn't fix anything either.

This game man, it nails so many things but there are always these strange decisions that leave me scratching my head.

Doukou

I don't know, I feel like something belongs in that area, makes him seem rather emotionless which isn't Cinder.
Maybe something like an Optimus Prime(cartoon) mouth.
Or a smirk that flames erupt from.

Current mouth is meh, would prefer no mouth.

Top Bottom