• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Cinder 1

Cinder 2

Holy shit part 2 hhnngg

Edit: Oh, and he just put up a bonus third one.

3046.jpg

I feel like I've waited a very long time for this. It's going to feel pretty surreal when he finally hits.

Also, normal shaped hands with pointy fingers would look pretty cool on cinder. Cinders mouth is also fine as long as he has facial animations and VFX that put it to good use. Something like an enraged screem where he opens his mouth and its all glowy and either dripping with molten stuff or tiny sparks and wisps of smoke fly out.

Popped on for double XP. Come to realize I've just lost all desire to play this game. The matchmaking at Killer is pure shit. New system is great up until you hit Killer. After that it's way, way worse than the old one.

Feels like only about 35-40% of my matches are actually against someone with equal skill. Majority of the time it's just a blowout one way or the other. Getting destroyed by someone that I have no business being matched up against isn't fun and destroying someone that has no business being matched up against me is no fun either.

Rarely had this problem in the old system where a large majority of my matches were pretty competitive. I just hope they make some big changes to it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The majority of the community favors the mouth-less version. As usual our feedback is welcome until it's something they don't feel like changing. No idea who thought it was a good idea, makes him look too alien which I thought was the whole point of not going with the original concept to begin with. I wish I had never seen the one from last week's textual stream because now I know it was so close to being perfect but someone decided to mess it up.

It's funny because people say "oh don't worry he'll have a mask with no mouth as an accessory." They never do that with any of the characters. Although it's an obvious thing to do it just never happens. Look at Orchid, they could have added a head with no goggles and people would have been happy but nah why do that, we can get cyber punk reject head instead. Also I love the rest of the design so having retro Cinder doesn't fix anything either.

This game man, it nails so many things but there are always these strange decisions that leave me scratching my head.
You just summed up my thoughts on the situation perfectly.

I've got nothing to add other than I'm gonna stay optimistic that his 'mouth' could still be removed...but probably not lol.

Doukou

Popped on for double XP. Come to realize I've just lost all desire to play this game. The matchmaking at Killer is pure shit. New system is great up until you hit Killer. After that it's way, way worse than the old one.

Feels like only about 35-40% of my matches are actually against someone with equal skill. Majority of the time it's just a blowout one way or the other. Getting destroyed by someone that I have no business being matched up against isn't fun and destroying someone that has no business being matched up against me is no fun either.

Rarely had this problem in the old system where a large majority of my matches were pretty competitive. I just hope they make some big changes to it.

It's kind of weird for me, as soon as I climbed up ladder I generally just meet a point like 3 wins in a row and I always lose the 4th match by a large margin. There seems to be a considerable skill gap in Killers.

We gaffers should play more MP with eachother on a different tangent.

.la1n

Found an interesting bug playing as Orchid on Hisako's stage. Shadow Ichi Ni San when fully charged causes frame rate and audio problems for a second or two.

tapedeck

So how many of you are picking up MKX Tuesday? Think I'll take a little break from KI till Cinder drops at least.

.la1n

So how many of you are picking up MKX Tuesday? Think I'll take a little break from KI till Cinder drops at least.

I'll be grabbing the digital copy on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting back into Mortal Kombat. Will keep me pretty busy for the foreseeable future. I am still looking forward to the new KI content although it may take a back seat for a while.

vg260

Bonus XP was working yesterday. Dunno about today.

On that note, I now have everyone to level 50, even Omen . So, I'll probably also be jumping over to MK for a bit until the next double XPs for the upcoming characters. I'm scared about the Krypt, as I hate the unlocking nonsense. I just love the cast in KI and character alts in fighters, I had to get it done. It so dumb how little I've truly played this game.

tapedeck

Yeah I was gonna wait for the inevitable 'Komplete Edition' of MKX but screw it, Im a sucker for a great story mode and it's fun unlocking tons of shit in the Krypt..I need it now. I'm undecided on whether to get the Kombat pack though..for $30 I'd like to see some of the costumes first and the only character I care about is Predator.

On topic I wonder if KI is gonna have any presence at E3 this year...at this point I'm gonna assume we are getting a Season 3.

rrc1594

Yeah I was gonna wait for the inevitable 'Komplete Edition' of MKX but screw it, Im a sucker for a great story mode and it's fun unlocking tons of shit in the Krypt..I need it now. I'm undecided on whether to get the Kombat pack though..for $30 I'd like to see some of the costumes first and the only character I care about is Predator.

On topic I wonder if KI is gonna have any presence at E3 this year...at this point I'm gonna assume we are getting a Season 3.

They may just say it at EVO. Which IMO is more fitting

tapedeck

They may just say it at EVO. Which IMO is more fitting
Yeah certainly Evo seems like the perfect place to announce and showcase S3, still I'd like to see it featured in some fashion at E3 if nothing else to get more mainstream exposure. Sadly best it'll probably get is a few playable kiosks lol.

I'm sure that it would. Season 3 is for sure happening. I'm just excited to see how it all turns out. :)
Agreed. My hope is that S3 finally gives us a fully fleshed out, polished and high production value KI.

and new S1 classics from Bayliss

abadguy

Banned
I don't know, I feel like something belongs in that area, makes him seem rather emotionless which isn't Cinder.
Maybe something like an Optimus Prime(cartoon) mouth.
Or a smirk that flames erupt from.

Current mouth is meh, would prefer no mouth.

I have been looking at pics of Cinder with and without the mouth. He looks better with it IMO. Looks kinda plain without the mouth.

.la1n

I have been looking at pics of Cinder with and without the mouth. He looks better with it IMO. Looks kinda plain without the mouth.

It seems pretty split on people liking it one way or another which tends to happen with just about anything. I think the overall design is great though and should be even better seeing him in game with all visual effects hopefully this week.

Tokubetsu

Kinda asked in the MKX thread but since that's super busy right now, Any of you guys/girls here have a cronusmax? Thoughts?

I couldn't resist MKX but a big part of why I haven't really dove into KI either is because of my whole not having a stick. Cronusmax seems to be the best bet for me (I own a 360 TE) without having to pay $150+

vg260

Kinda asked in the MKX thread but since that's super busy right now, Any of you guys/girls here have a cronusmax? Thoughts?

I couldn't resist MKX but a big part of why I haven't really dove into KI either is because of my whole not having a stick. Cronusmax seems to be the best bet for me (I own a 360 TE) without having to pay $150+

It's what I use on the Xbox One w/ my 360 sticks. I've been satisfied.

.la1n

I really like MKX. but I just want take a minute to thank you KI for your netcode lol

It's a night and day difference, lol. Double Helix deserves serious props for making it a priority instead of an after thought.

One thing that MKX noticeably walks all over KI in is how fast it loads character models and stages. I forgot what it was like to be able to move around a character select smoothly.

hwalker84

It's a night and day difference, lol. Double Helix deserves serious props for making it a priority instead of an after thought.

One thing that MKX noticeably walks all over KI in is how fast it loads character models and stages. I forgot what it was like to be able to move around a character select smoothly.
It works so fast. It must be some KI engine limitation.

tapedeck

Man MKX is kinda tough to play. I suck at it on stick, may switch to pad just cause the button layout is more forgiving, especially for EX moves. Cancel windows are tight as fuck too, KI has spoiled me lol.

Agreed about the menus and loading though, IG please take note.

derFeef

They have taken too much away (or added too much) from MK for my tastes. Loved MK2+3 as a "kid". The flavour has just vanished.

.la1n

It works so fast. It must be some KI engine limitation.

I thought they said it was due to the size and detail of the character models but that can't be the case because MK X is pulling it off without a hitch, even with alternate costumes in play and animated introductions.

Has to be an engine limitation or an optimization issue. The stage loading used to be about on par with what I am seeing in MK X but as of the Hisako update they have been too long.

hwalker84

I thought they said it was due to the size and detail of the character models but that can't be the case because MK X is pulling it off without a hitch, even with alternate costumes in play and animated introductions.

Has to be an engine limitation or an optimization issue. The stage loading used to be about on par with what I am seeing in MK X but as of the Hisako update they have been too long.

I can't wait to get over my jet lag so that I can play some Hisako.

I really hope season three really cleans up the slow load times and makes the UI look more cohesive (and easier to navigate).

remz

they should do something like load a 2d image when you're browsing around the screen then swap it and load the model when you pick them.

the character select screen in KI is ass atm. I thought the exact same thing about how smooth it is in MKX

.la1n

they should do something like load a 2d image when you're browsing around the screen then swap it and load the model when you pick them.

the character select screen in KI is ass atm. I thought the exact same thing about how smooth it is in MKX

Honestly if the models still take a minute to load in then fine but for the love of God just allow me to move through the character select normal. Something I could do as far back as the Nintendo. The jutter we've had to put up with is getting silly.

Doukou

I think the character loading times is very high do to KI loading the whole model, as in its the same asset in game. I think Mortal Kombt loads an animation or I guess really small cutscenes which is why it's instant. They should defiantly switch but I think one of the reasons why they are issues is because Mortal Kombat has a more 'fixed' number, while KI colors and accessories resulting in lots of combinations since they can be mixed and matched. This makes it harder to implement MK's loading.
This is just speculation.
I don't have MK so I'm guessing but each character has at least 2 costumes and 3 variants. That's six animations needed in data.
KI you will need to times the head choices with chest and legs along with colors. This would be about 11^4 separate animations
For the average character not including retro.

.la1n

You are probably right, there are a lot of individual combinations involved with KI models. I don't expect them to load instantly, would just like if the character select cursor itself would just move smoothly between characters.

Side note: it seems Max has started work on the Cinder trailer so I assume his model is finalized. Could mean a trailer next week and a release soon after. Hopefully a game play stream tomorrow or (more likely) Friday.

Doukou

You are probably right, there are a lot of individual combinations involved with KI models. I don't expect them to load instantly, would just like if the character select cursor itself would just move smoothly between characters.

Side note: it seems Max has started work on the Cinder trailer so I assume his model is finalized. Could mean a trailer next week and a release soon after. Hopefully a game play stream tomorrow or (more likely) Friday.

Yeah hopefully they find a better way but the engine would need a big overhaul.

Hopefully Cinder comes quicker than the usual.

hwalker84

Yeah hopefully they find a better way but the engine would need a big overhaul.

Hopefully Cinder comes quicker than the usual.

Didn't they do a huge overhaul? Isn't that why one of the updates was a complete redownload of the entire game? I thought that was to speed up character loads (it needs to get faster)

tapedeck

Didn't they do a huge overhaul? Isn't that why one of the updates was a complete redownload of the entire game? I thought that was to speed up character loads (it needs to get faster)
They did...and it helped somewhat. Like others said issue is probably all the costume/accessory combinations that have to load which is a shame cause most of them suck anyway. Just do like MK and have a portrait show until the full character loads.

But TBH I wish KI was one standard outfit and one Retro and that's it. Less loading and less colorblind, tasteless outfit combinations online.

.la1n

The accessories were always a bad idea. You could tell from the very first ones that we saw in Season 1 that they were going to be terrible Tekken-like abominations. At least in Mortal Kombat when you get additional skins they are a set so that everything at least meshes together. The mix match of junk you can put on characters needs to go away from fighting games or give people an option to turn it off online so we can save our own eyes.

Top Bottom