• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
raziel said:
i never called it primitive.. ?

anyway i think most aspects of HL2 are great, but the AI would definitely not be one of them. the AI was universally viewed as disappointing and one of the weakest aspects of the game. have you played the original FEAR? also, the core gunplay in HL2 wasnt much better or different really than the gunplay in HL1 (gravity gun aside). its cool that you like it and all but its strange to me nonetheless. ive heard HL2 praised for a lot of things, gunplay and AI usually arent those things.
I was actually referring to the KZ2's AI. The HL2 AI is competent, nothing special, but it gets the job done.

I think someone else called it primitive, and I edited that part into my post after reading that post, without actually putting the new quote in, so that was directly aimed at you. :)

Raziel

Rez said:
I was actually referring to the KZ2's AI. The HL2 AI is competent, nothing special, but it gets the job done.

I think someone else called it primitive, and I edited that part into my post after reading that post, without actually putting the new quote in, so that was directly aimed at you. :)
ah i see, my mistake about the AI.

george_us

I've got to say that, other than the graphics, this game hasn't impressed me all that much. The AI is average at best so far, the level and scenario design feels stale, and the weapons aren't really that much fun to use. The framerate also takes severe hits when there's a lot of action going on.

Puck

Banned
george_us said:
I've got to say that, other than the graphics, this game hasn't impressed me all that much. The AI is average at best so far, the level and scenario design feels stale, and the weapons aren't really that much fun to use. The framerate also takes severe hits when there's a lot of action going on.
funny

Raziel

i think games like bioshock and hl2 are in a completely different category than KZ2. those games were primarily story driven affairs (at least for me) where the art direction and immersion were the stars of the show. the actual gunplay in both those games was perhaps the least remarkable aspect about them.

then you have games like KZ2, FEAR, and far cry, where the gunplay is front and center. they pit you against smart and lethal AI opponents in smartly designed levels to create the most intense balls to the walls gunfights possible. though they might not be the most stylized or have the best stories.

kitch9

Banned
george_us said:

What difficulty you playing it on, and have you ever seen good AI?

If you say Trooper difficulty you are only wasting your time..... What feels stale about the scenarios? Too many people jumping on this lame bandwagon to try to be "cool."

Its a fucking war, there's smoke, blown up shit, things in the process of getting blown up and fucking soon to be dead people..... All rendered in a way any other console game can only dream of....

What more do you want????? Fucking stale my ass.......

Autofokus

Is there any way to change teams mid-game? I´m fine with auto-balance, but sometimes people drop out and I see no way to even out the teams.

I think my game must have bugged out (or I was very, very tired) on my first play through because when I tried again I managed it within a few minutes!

I simply couldn't take Radec down, he wouldn't die. After a couple of hours worth of retries I gave up. I then tried on Saturday night and he was easy, so either the game gave him unlimited health in a glitch, or I was just tired and kept missing! LOL. Anyway, done now!

I am now playing through again going for all the Trophies (bar Elite, that's for another time). I am currently working towards Safari Hunter, and I am on 13/14 kills. It's a challenging one! I thought the sniper dudes would have been the ones, but I already have them. Did anyone else have trouble with this?

george_us said:

I actually think those are some of the best things about the game. Play on Veteran or Elite and tell me that the AI isn't that great. Even on easy or normal, these guys put up a fight and normally act as humans would. Also, KZ2 has some of the most imaginative scenario designs of any FPS imo with a great art style. Very gritty and futuristic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
I actually think those are some of the best things about the game. Play on Veteran or Elite and tell me that the AI isn't that great. Even on easy or normal, these guys put up a fight and normally act as humans would. Also, KZ2 has some of the most imaginative scenario designs of any FPS imo with a great art style. Very gritty and futuristic.
I'm not trying to be a dick, it's your opinion, but what was so special about the scenario design? It seemed like the standard sort of "take LOCATION A", "defend LOCATION B", "proceed through LOCATION C", "destroy OBJECT D" sort of thing.

Rez said:
I'm not trying to be a dick, it's your opinion, but what was so special about the scenario design? It seemed like the standard sort of "take LOCATION A", "defend LOCATION B", "proceed through LOCATION C", "destroy OBJECT D" sort of thing.

I suppose I was actually talking more about the visual design. Yes, the actual scenario design is essentially standard stuff, but I guess to me the visuals bring everything to life even though your objectives are pretty basic. The intensity of the fire fights and the intelligent AI contribute to this as well imo. Now, the final stage is a different story though. It could use some...work.

Crackers

Neo Member
george_us said:

:lol Apart from uncharted I can't think when I've been more challenged by AI. If you haven't already, replay on Veteran, that might change your mind.

JB1981

Since there is NO other way to actually play with friends (like ya know 1 to 2 other fucking people) in this game, I am not turning faction balancing on. I would say the majority of our games are "balanced" when it comes to raw player count. Yes, some games here and there can be unbalanced but it is certainly not the majority. Maybe we'll just stick to the Higs from now on if everyone is so unhappy.

And yes, they need to allow players to change factions mid-game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
I suppose I was actually talking more about the visual design. Yes, the actual scenario design is essentially standard stuff, but I guess to me the visuals bring everything to life even though your objectives are pretty basic. The intensity of the fire fights and the intelligent AI contribute to this as well imo. Now, the final stage is a different story though. It could use some...work.
Ah, I get you. :)

Just got round to finishing the game on Veteran and really enjoyed it, although i will say the last fight with Radec is a complete bastard, took me ages to get past all the soldiers.

Now im gonna have to go through it on Elite and most likely Easy last so i can get the trophy for no deaths :(

Ristlager

Just a quick question. Is there endless spawning in the campain? The whole brigde level seemd like there was no end of these fuckers, untill I just ran for it? And regarding AI, on veteran they are to smart for me :( (still powering through :)

nib95

Banned
Ristlager said:
Just a quick question. Is there endless spawning in the campain? The whole brigde level seemd like there was no end of these fuckers, untill I just ran for it? And regarding AI, on veteran they are to smart for me :( (still powering through :)

There is yes, but only in 2 or 3 segments of the game I think.

tiddles

Dirtyshubb said:
Now im gonna have to go through it on Elite and most likely Easy last so i can get the trophy for no deaths :(

To get that trophy, you have to have completed every section at least once without dying (ie. least number of deaths equals zero). Iirc, it doesn't matter what difficulty you do it on, or in what order - so you can use the mission select function, and just do the sections you need (at whatever difficulty you like).

kevm3

I'm not that compelled by the singleplayer campaign. I find the multiplayer much more interesting. I found COD4's singleplayer to be better, but as of the moment, I prefer Killzone 2's multiplayer.

Tieno

Finally got the game, stupid Post striking for 3 days and being late. Played first level and liked it a lot. Playing that demo a bunch of times payed off as I could jump right into the game and get to the fun, just like with Mirror's Edge. Very pleased to see there's a stats screen, I always like that in my games.

Crackers

Neo Member
iam.rass said:
according to my stats page ive placed 7 c4.... i havent unlocked saboteur yet...? i am a magician

Yeah, my stats show that I've placed 13 c4 charges when I don't have saboteur yet. But, they also show that I haven't used any spawn points when I have. So I suspect those two stats have been mixed up?

iam.rass said:
according to my stats page ive placed 7 c4.... i havent unlocked saboteur yet...? i am a magician

I think that counts as detonating C4 as well (by gunfire/grenades).

Though mine says 0 spawn points called and 0 air supports called in. :| I play almost exclusively as tactician.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really hope Guerilla is reading this thread as there are some good ideas for future patches. Especially regarding the MP.

Question about the story:
When you first hear Radeks voice it's scrambled and when you later hear it properly, you realize it's Hakha, but none of the other characters do.. Are they supposed to be the same dude or is it just the same actor?
Also did anyone encounter a bug where your gun and aim will shake for a while.. at first I thought my controller was dying but this happens mostly on the last level of SP campaign where you
take out the 4 MG nests with explosives

peetfeet

They should be sorting out the lag first, I shot a guy 3 times in the head last night, the 3rd time he turned round fully and blasted me. We both died. WTF?! I lost count how many times i 'killed' someone last night for them to shot me after my kill had registered.

oneHeero

Aladuf said:
You guys can think what you want about this clique stuff and always wanting to be on Recovery's team I guess. All it is, is that myself, Third, Recovery, Beamber and Flunkie have been playing Gears together for over a year now and we just get along and want to hang out and have a good time in our matches. It's just fun for us to hop on and be able to talk it up while we kill some folks online.
Dont mean to keep this discussion going since I'm late and all, but while I can see why you want to play together its also better to keep the team even. I dont even mean in terms of skill, I alone usually hold up our team well enough(ya I'm cocky).

We were bitching about the fact that games were starting 13-7 in terms of people per team. It was like this every game yet full recovery's (not calling him out) never got a definite win.

I dont have trouble with anyone in gaf except when Click whored the shotty(prepatch and only 1 day) or when Full Recovery whores the machine gun mounts. Other than that its really easy to keep up as a team. Only games we tend to lose are search and retrieve since we are so out numbered :\

Body count the team with less should win(they have more targets and less to people to be killed), search and destroy is iffy but should be able to hold your own as long as there is teamwork.
That game on Radec that started as Search and destroy was fun, we held it down all the way to like 30seconds and than you guys got us :(

All in all, I have the most fun in gaf rooms and I'll continue to play with gaf regardless of teams, because I love you all and you make kz that much more fun for me. I also love the challenge and I get so jealous of all the praise for full-recovery that I continue to challenge myself each time we play to make myself play that much better so in the end people say "man we are going up against F1nestOne" or "damn f1nestone team always wins" just like they say about full recovery :) <3 full.
I love the sniper fights Full Recovery and I have, but on Saluman you need a new sniper spot when you and I go against each other, I know your always in that damn building where the machine gun is!!!!(when you snipe)

Golvellius said:
When you first hear Radeks voice it's scrambled and when you later hear it properly, you realize it's Hakha, but none of the other characters do.. Are they supposed to be the same dude or is it just the same actor?
Also did anyone encounter a bug where your gun and aim will shake for a while.. at first I thought my controller was dying but this happens mostly on the last level of SP campaign where you
take out the 4 MG nests with explosives

They are the same voice actor.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LiquidMetal14 said:
I really hope Guerilla is reading this thread as there are some good ideas for future patches. Especially regarding the MP.
Yeah like :
!!!XMB SCREENSHOT FEATURE!!!!:lol
Make it happen Guerrilla...

-Winnie-

Golvellius said:

Definitely the same actor, but I really doubt that it's the same character. If it was, they would've explained it in the game.

kevm3

Assault class is almost single-handedly ruining this game for me. Nothing worse than emptying half a clip into some guy's back and hthen have him turn around and shoot a rocket at you, when he should be dead. Another match just devolved into cornballs running through assault rifle fire and spamming rockets again. Absolutely disgusting.

JudgeN

kevm3 said:
Assault class is almost single-handedly ruining this game for me. Nothing worse than emptying half a clip into some guy's back and hthen have him turn around and shoot a rocket at you, when he should be dead. Another match just devolved into cornballs running through assault rifle fire and spamming rockets again. Absolutely disgusting.

Go for the head shot?

kevm3

So I should be limited to killing people by headshots only when they can merely run up and skilllessly shoot a rocket next to me and kill me? The bottom line is the class is broken and needs to be rebalanced something

Crackers

Neo Member
kevm3 said:

So true. Having a class with double health, boost and a RPG isn't a good idea (especially on the smaller maps).

JudgeN

kevm3 said:
So I should be limited to killing people by headshots only when they can merely run up and skilllessly shoot a rocket next to me and kill me? The bottom line is the class is broken and needs to be rebalanced something

Or get your magnum will kill him in 4 shots.

Class is far from broken, maybe I'm in the wrong games but I never ran into someone that would just spam his 3 rockets and die and repeat. Besides as more people get top rank and put there own spin on classes with badges and shit I don't think you will really see that mini assaults running around.

Lince

Banned
hi guys, I'm back in GAF, some random thoughts after playing multiplayer for a week...

- 32p games should have their own, large and barren maps for people to clusterfuck in.

- 12-16p games is where the game shines, specially when teamwork is taken seriously and FF is enabled,
no other mp shooter top this.

- controls are awesome and need no further tweaking

- auto aim is noticeable when firing from the hips, it's not like Resistance 2 "magnet aim" anyway.

- sab's machine gun is simply a beast, you can even get heads from a distance.

- the graphics are simply insane for a mp game (again, 12-16 players for a silky smooth experience) so much detail and stuff going on
that put a lot of singleplayer games to shame.

- spawn grenades should only last for 3-4 player respawns, that would pretty much balance their clusterfuck powers.

- put a limit to saboteur and assault, only one at a time for each team, at least give us this option for custom games.

- yes assault is overpowered when boosting, and don't tell me he's low on ammo since he can grab any weapon on the field.

- yes we need a party/mmaking system, and I know Guerrilla will do it, we like to play with friends you know, get Insomniac to help.

- turrets/air support... they're fine, they can spot enemies for you and even get frags from time to time.

- playing with Gaffers is awesome, I'm getting owned every time.

and by the way ranked around 700 for the week so...

kz21.jpg

in the first week bitches!!! now it's time to resume campaign where I left it :p

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Crackers said:
So true. Having a class with double health, boost and a RPG isn't a good idea (especially on the smaller maps).
This explains a lot. I ran into a few of these yesterday. I got the jump on them, unloaded, only to have them turn around and shoot me in the face. As in COD4, I hope GG comes up with a way to mark these people with some sort of visual indicator over their head that lets you know they have the extra health (like a shield icon).

And I think you there should be an award for killing the most saboteurs that says something like "Douchebag Killer". I think saboteurs, like scouts in TF2, should have significantly reduced armor and/or health so they can't just run around with an SMG and spray people to death. Same goes for noob cannon RPGers.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yaay! Lince is back !
All i need now is Wollan and Seiken :3

hteng

Banned
haha if the assault class was using rifles or shotguns it'll be even more broken, the rocket launcher is pretty difficult to use, it has low ammo, not accurate and you can easily kill yourself in close spaces (along with other guys). Think of the assault class as a guided missile.

Top Bottom