• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

patsu

EktorPR said:
Couldn't disagree more.

I'm currently treading through the desert level: what has happened before it has been nothing short of "awesome". I've been loving every minute of the campaign, as there has been not one boring second. The game is perfectly paced, which is not a simple thing to do. Congrats, Guerrilla! :)

Yap, I think the campaign is great. I actually enjoyed it more than Bioshock (Didn't complete Bioshock because of the last one third of drag).

Jag22

Banned
Lord Error said:
I, on the other hand, can't think of a shooter where I enjoyed actual shooting gameplay and shootout situations more. Most of the levels were simply fantastic in their intensity, and enemies some of the smartest ever put into a game. It's not like that consistently of course, but at many times I felt the game simply shamed everything else with the kind of chaos it puts you in, and in what ways enemies try to push you back only for you to ultimately push back at them. Not to mention the animation of it all, that sells it completely. As I said earlier, I have a feeling playing other shooters will now be a bit emptier experience.

Yes, pretty much this - I can't think of anything that has this kind of thing done so well. Original Fear was graet in this sense, but the visuals and atmosphere in that look like a child's play now by standards set by this game. There are also some more interesting set pieces later on, so don't worry about that either.

But the level design was extremely bland, the locations boring, characters annoying, story almost non-existent.

All I can really say about Killzone 2 is that it has above average A.I., and great visuals. Everything else in the campaign is just a disappointment. The multiplayer on the other hand is very good, even controls better.

Ephemeris

"They send a sergeant to take
Visari?
" I love this line. Infact, Every time I play an assassination game where I'm the target I usually say that after I survive :lol

And with that note. Platinum Trophy: GET!

"YOU HAVE NOT WON! YOU WILL NEVER!"

dfyb

Banned
surprised i got top 6%. i haven't played a ton and i've been playing very wreckless trying to get ribbons.

i got valor citation and valor medal trophies. do the other trophies require top 3% and top 1%?

Rorschach

dfyb said:
surprised i got top 6%. i haven't played a ton and i've been playing very wreckless trying to get ribbons.

i got valor citation and valor medal trophies. do the other trophies require top 3% and top 1%?
Haven't played that much and got 3%. Just checked on KZ.com (it's actually working?! :O).

Will KZ.com ever work reliably and/or not take 5years to load?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I dunno if it's in my head or not, but I was having an incredibly hard time with the single player, even on normal. Dying 15-20 times per level. Now post-patch, I'm cruising through the stages. It's been very, very easy.

Then again, it might just be the design of the stages themselves I was coming up on - the New Sun stage, and the following mech stage. They seem like easier stages than the couple that preceded them.

Raist

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
Only 4 rockets and a pistol.

Or a grenade launcher or I don't remember what. And it's not like you can't pick up any other weapon.

Now you start with twice the life of other classes, can regen up to 120%, run fast as hell (not to mention that this also makes your life go up real quick too).
This is a HUGE advantage for pretty much any kind of mission.

Kittonwy

Banned
Teh following iz factual evidence:

I BEATZ TEH ELITE!!!111!!!
KlintIndifference.gif

WHO DA MAN NOW DAWG!!!111!!!
KlintIndifference.gif

RAWR!!!111!!!
KlintIndifference.gif

I sniped u motherfucka!!!111!!!
angry.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Grayman said:
heavily scripted corridor based garbage... :lol

Killzone 2 is, for the most part, heavily scripted and corridor based.

Future

Jag22 said:
For me something like Halo 2's campaign was average. BioShock very good, Half Life 2 just greatness.

Killzone is like Halo, in that a lot of the fun is in the scenarios and how AI is placed. It actually outdoes Halo in that regard, as they do have some scripted shit, where Halo barely has any

BioShock and HalfLife 2 have much worse AI, but the level design doesnt depend on it to drive the game. They instead vary the campaign through many different scripted level events and storytelling.

Different Strokes. I vastly prefer the Halo and Killzone campaigns to these games cuz to me they are more fun. Replaying HL2 when Orange Box came out was actually a chore, even though I remember digging it when it first came out. Killzone, however, due to the awesome AI and cool scenarios already gave me two play throughs and thats just the beginning.

Grayman

Rez said:

that is what I was getting at. or are you being sarcastic with me. I don't care if the corridors are quite wide they are still corridors.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ Killzone 2's campaign being better than Half-Life 2. I prefer Halo's as well because it has co-op, but KZ2's is pretty good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Grayman said:
that is what I was getting at. or are you being sarcastic with me. I don't care if the corridors are quite wide they are still corridors.
oh, I thought you were using that in defense of KZ2's campaign. My bad. :)

Raziel

Jag22 said:
But the level design was extremely bland, the locations boring, characters annoying, story almost non-existent.

All I can really say about Killzone 2 is that it has above average A.I., and great visuals. Everything else in the campaign is just a disappointment. The multiplayer on the other hand is very good, even controls better.
you seem to be talking about the level design from a visual standpoint..? if so, i can see how you would feel that way. but functionally, as arenas for gun fights, the level design is great. tons of obstacles, cover spots, alternate paths, multiple levels, etc.

_tetsuo_ said:
lol@ Killzone 2's campaign being better than Half-Life 2. I prefer Halo's as well because it has co-op, but KZ2's is pretty good.

He didn't say it was better, he said he prefers halo/killzone campains to halflife/biochock ones.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Jag22 said:
For me something like Halo 2's campaign was average. BioShock very good, Half Life 2 just greatness.

you mean the game where you have to drive around for hours in a buggy/boat?
enemys are dump as shit and everything is scripted?

i never understood the prais hl2 gets nowadays , back in the days it was the second comming (there was nothing like it) but now you have a lot more enjoyable games then hl2... the pacing in that game was goddamn awfull...when i think about it the whole experience was meh...

at least in kz2 i was on a thillride for 5hours and these where good 5hours and never boring...

bioshock was fucking good at being imersive, ill give you that one :D

edit: plus everything what FUTURE said :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Rez said:

The AI in Killzone 2 is actually pretty adaptive to the player's tactics, and a lot of the levels are more of an arena-type variety. A game like COD4 would be a more suitable example for a heavily-scripted and corridor-based shooter.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
GDJustin said:
I dunno if it's in my head or not, but I was having an incredibly hard time with the single player, even on normal. Dying 15-20 times per level. Now post-patch, I'm cruising through the stages. It's been very, very easy.

Then again, it might just be the design of the stages themselves I was coming up on - the New Sun stage, and the following mech stage. They seem like easier stages than the couple that preceded them.

I think after dying like 20 times you would have learned how to approach the levels better, maybe it's the patch but I think you just got smarter.
Indifferent2.gif

The new sun level isn't as difficult I reckon, for some reason I had less trouble with the last level on elite than on veteran, still elite was hard.
angry.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sankt-Antonio said:

i never understood the prais hl2 gets nowadays , back in the days it was the second comming (there was nothing like it) but now you have a lot more enjoyable games then hl2... the pacing in that game was goddamn awfull...when i think about it the whole experience was meh...

at least in kz2 i was on a thillride for 5hours and these where good 5hours and ever boring...

bioshock was fucking good at beiing imersive, ill give you that one :D

I'm not going to get into a discussion about HL2 right now, but let the record show I think this man is batshit insane. =p

Kittonwy said:
The AI in Killzone 2 is actually pretty adaptive to the player's tactics, and a lot of the levels are more of an arena-type variety. A game like COD4 would be a more suitable example for a heavily-scripted and corridor-based shooter.
Indifferent2.gif
Well, both of those games have their moments of a more open-form battle, KZ2 more so than COD4 for sure, though. But there were definitely quite a few moments in KZ2 where I would die, and the enemies would do what was essentially the same thing when I reloaded the game, but then that might have been a result of playing on Normal.

I have nothing against corridor shooters though, honestly. As long as the guns are fun to shoot and corridors are nice and pretty.

Jag22

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:

at least in kz2 i was on a thillride for 5hours and these where good 5hours and ever boring...

bioshock was fucking good at beiing imersive, ill give you that one :D

For me Killzone 2 wasn't a thrillride. It was more like a drive home down a busy narrow street with many stoplights on the way. With the only thrill coming halfway through the trip when the cop behind you turned on his lights, but he was going after you, just the car in front of you.

That what Killzone 2's campaign is. A ride home during rush hour.

Raziel

_tetsuo_ said:
HL2 is better, but the gunfights in KZ2 are much more fun and unpredictable. i dont think thats even close.

sankt-Antonio

Jag22 said:
For me Killzone 2 wasn't a thrillride. It was more like a drive home down a busy narrow street with many stoplights on the way. With the only thrill coming halfway through the trip when the cop behind you turned on his lights, but he was going after you, just the car in front of you.

what hl2 mod did you play then to have such hight standarts? =P

edit: i really think the whole hl2 thing has a lot to do with what you think you felt 5years ago when you first played it, i tried to replay it last year and yeah...it was my very own ride home :D

i was in love with hl2 when it came out, dont get me wrong, its just dated now... same with all the classics...except diablo2

sca2511

Jag22 said:

I thought the campaign was good, better than cod4 imo. If you weren't into the story for KZ and Liberation plus the sites backstory, then its understandable, but personally i think the game is no slouch when it comes to the campaign

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
raziel said:
HL2 is better, but the gunfights in KZ2 are much more fun and unpredictable. i dont think thats even close.
Hmm... they're close. In HL2, when I'm playing on PC, being able to quickly switch at the press of a button between what amounts to an armouries worth weapons and equipment usually leads to more varied and exciting firefights. But, given the restrictions KZ2 places on the player (one weapon, a sidearm, and a dual-stick controller), it does an excellent job of throwing great scenarios at you. The AI is great.

I played HL2 for the first time at the end of 2007. It was, in my opinion, the best FPS I'd ever played. So, unless the gaming scene has significantly changed in the one and a halfish years since I played the game, I would most definitely not call it primitive. That's just absurd.

Dementia

Nice! Just checked my stats on killzone.com and I've got a purple ribbon around my rank.:D

I've got a question though. Do you think the valor trophy will still unlock for me even though I probably won't be near my PS3 again for a couple of weeks? That would be really annoying if it didn't. And right now when I look at my trophies at playstation.com it doesn't show the valor cross trophy as being unlocked.

Hm...

Dirtbag

Rapping Granny said:
I want more MP maps please.

I hope they announce it at GDC, since they are actually presenting.

Imagine how frustrating not having all the maps will be given the server / map rotation structure.
No games are listed by maps (half the reason people pine over server based games) so that will likely get a small facelift or interface change, but I really wonder how it will handle joining onto something like the GAF matches if they are setup with dlc maps in the rotation. I don't know if I'm going to buy maps for this game or not yet. I really like some freshness of the multiplayer, but some of the maps and long matches (and certain gamemodes) are already starting to feel like chores. I really hate blood gratch, the hammer, and corinth crossing already.

Dirtbag

Oh and seriously, the ISA love on the GAF servers is obnoxious. Team auto-balancing is necessary at this point, because it's always about 3-4 extra guys on ISA. Which is actually pretty substantial given the smaller player counts on the GAF server.

Jag22

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:
what hl2 mod did you play then to have such hight standarts? =P

edit: i really think the whole hl2 thing has a lot to do with what you think you felt 5years ago when you first played it, i tried to replay it last year and yeah...it was my very own ride home :D

i was in love with hl2 when it came out, dont get me wrong, its just dated now... same with all the classics...except diablo2
I played and finished Half Life 2 and all the episodes in 2007, and I can tell you without a doubt that it's better than Killzone 2's campaign.

The last part of Half Life 2: Episode 2 is the best first person segments I've played in the genre.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why are people comparing HL2 to Killzone 2? They're incredibly different experiences. HL2 is very narrative oriented while Killzone is way more combat oriented. They also feel completely different. HL2 even has puzzles, which would be very out of place in KZ2. I never would have thought to compare those two games.

For the record, HL2 and it's episodes are my favorite games ever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jag22 said:
While I agree with last two (but don't really care), I didn't think it was the case at all for the first two points. The bridge, the train, some parts of first level, most of desert, most of last level were all very memorable. Also the shootout action in HL2 is not even comparable to what's in this game in my opinion. HL2 is great but for other reasons.

sankt-Antonio

Jag22 said:
I played and finished Half Life 2 and all the episodes in 2007, and I can tell you without a doubt that it's better than Killzone 2's campaign.

The last part of Half Life 2: Episode 2 is the best first person segments I've played in the genre.

then we have to agree to disagree :D

patsu

Jag22 said:

Grayman said:
heavily scripted corridor based garbage... :lol

Rez said:

Jag22 said:
Yeah, he confused me there.

By his definition, Bioshock is garbage because it's heavily scripted and corridor based; but people including yourself, generally rated it very well. For what it's worth, KZ2 has great AI that mix things up rather well.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm really enjoying the campaign. I'm up to the train level right now. The previous level that I played is the best level in the game so far. I was getting tired of the same urban environments up to that point, so I was pleased to see something different... Although, I had seen that environment before in videos. The friendly AI is so annoying. They keep blocking me out of areas. There are have been moments where I'm under heavy fire and rush to get into a hallway or room and either Garza or Rico have blocked me from escape.

I also played a bit of multiplayer and was enjoying it until some of the smaller cramped maps came up. That fucking shotgun is ridiculous. Every kill except for a few were from those fucking shotguns.

Awntawn

Jag22 said:

HL2 is too gamey

Raziel

Rez said:
Hmm... they're close. In HL2, when I'm playing on PC, being able to quickly switch at the press of a button between what amounts to an armouries worth weapons and equipment usually leads to more varied and exciting firefights. But, given the restrictions KZ2 places on the player (one weapon, a sidearm, and a dual-stick controller), it does an excellent job of throwing great scenarios at you. The AI is great.

I played HL2 for the first time at the end of 2007. It was, in my opinion, the best FPS I'd ever played. So, unless the gaming scene has significantly changed in the one and a halfish years since I played the game, I would most definitely not call it primitive. That's just absurd.
i never called it primitive.. ?

anyway i think most aspects of HL2 are great, but the AI would definitely not be one of them. the AI was universally viewed as disappointing and one of the weakest aspects of the game. have you played the original FEAR? also, the core gunplay in HL2 wasnt much better or different really than the gunplay in HL1 (gravity gun aside). its cool that you like it and all but its strange to me nonetheless. ive heard HL2 praised for a lot of things, gunplay and AI usually arent those things.

Top Bottom