• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TheFatOne

Full Recovery said:
:lol I didn't play one serious match today, all in good fun bro.

I will get you *shakes fist in the air* if its the last thing I do :p From now on I will never be on your team so that I may get my vengeance :lol

Aladuf

Banned
You guys can think what you want about this clique stuff and always wanting to be on Recovery's team I guess. All it is, is that myself, Third, Recovery, Beamber and Flunkie have been playing Gears together for over a year now and we just get along and want to hang out and have a good time in our matches. It's just fun for us to hop on and be able to talk it up while we kill some folks online.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is getting interesting for the casual observer who isn't really into the online side of shooters (read: me) again. :lol

TheFatOne

Aladuf said:
You guys can think what you want about this clique stuff and always wanting to be on Recovery's team I guess. All it is, is that myself, Third, Recovery, Beamber and Flunkie have been playing Gears together for over a year now and we just get along and want to hang out and have a good time in our matches. It's just fun for us to hop on and be able to talk it up while we kill some folks online.

That's all fun and good, but everyone else then wants to join in on the fun. Just look at faction when the teams are forming. In one game it was even then suddenly 5 people move to the other team. BTW man it felt like I kept finding you and third on Phyrus lol Ohh and that clique stuff I just call it that because that's exactly what it is. It's you guys plus evryone else who switches to try and gain an advantage.

.GqueB. said:
Doesnt happen because the rooms are usually filled up more often than not.

People will usually join your side but its mid game usually when they can't really help.

Rapping Granny said:
YES!

I am in the 1% club.

Congrats now I officially hate you :lol

.GqueB.

Banned
Aladuf said:
Like I said, I dont mind it much. Most of what Im personally saying here can be summarized as:

"Do what you like... Im just sayin is all"

Through it all, even though you have more people, it doesnt end up being horribly unbalanced because everyone that switches to your team (in search of a 'W') arent exactly on your level anyways. So it doesnt end up being SO bad. Just slightly annoying in modes where numbers count like Search and destroy.

EazyB

Banned
I think custom games shouldn't start automatically, the host should be able to control when it starts/stops.

In our Halo GAF games we're always switching up the teams and making sure everyone feels the teams are even before the match starts. This isn't possible in KZ2 because the matches just automatically start but the autobalance thing seems to be the best option.

And to those that "just like playing on the teams with the people you've always played with", that's such bullshit. If the teams are aren't even then switch teams, it's also fun to play against your buds as well.

Rikyfree

.GqueB. said:
I always find it rather funny that through it all they still cant manage to get a definitive win a lot of the time. Ends up in draws and 4-3's more often than not.
Heh, I've been in some of those. I find it funny, I'll get alot more points than their best guy, and sometimes that won't matter and it'll end at around a 5-2 or 6-1 loss.

Edit: 1% club REPRESENT!

Jag22

Banned
Killzone 2 has a really mediocre campaign.

There's only 3 really good levels (Desert, level after that, and the last level). But the other 7 had me bored to tears. And the way they tried to shoehorn emotion in the game is just terrible.

And Rico is one of the most annoying characters in recent memory.

ianp622

I just played against a team of morons in Bodycount. I mean all of them were some kind of sergeant, yet when they keep getting mowed down in a particular spot, they just keep going through that spot. I racked up like 80 points each game, and I wasn't even a lieutenant (although I am now :) )

icechai

KilgoreTrout said:
Fucking pissed. I didn't get valor cross. I am ranked around 3000 for the week. Piss on everyone.

i was 3772 for the week and i got it, top1% i think is around the high 4ks (total players = almost 500,000 last week?)

icechai

.GqueB. said:
Fun games tonight but heres a swell idea:

Hows about you guys put on auto balancing so Full recovery's team doesnt get stacked with 13 people again. Thatd be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. 13 against 7? 12 against 9? And on SMALL maps no less where numbers are crucial.

And I kept staying on the non-stacked teams because I didnt wanna be one of THOSE people switching over. Dont be ridiculous people.

what is this full recovery's team getting stacked? He only played 1 or 2 games in the 3 hours I played and the teams were still ISA heavy just because people like being ISA more. I agree that auto balance should be on, bit ridiculous sometimes like on that corinth crossing map.

mckmas8808 said:
So has anybody else had problems with Killzone 2 playing through their surround sound system?

Yeah sometimes a sound effect will get stuck as I get killed (which h appends alot :D) and it will keep playing over and over over all of my front 3 speakers. Outside of that I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary sound wise.

Everdred

Jag22 said:

There's only 3 really good levels (Desert, level after that, and the last level). But the other 7 had me bored to tears. And the way they tried to shoehorn emotion in the game is just terrible.

Agree completely. I feel like I'm forcing myself to play through it. I just want to completely ignore it and play multiplayer but I can't.

Raist

Banned
So is GG going to do anything about those fucking cheating clans?

I mean, the top 10 is ridiculous. 100k+ and 10k+ VP. Right.

DrPirate

Banned
Jag22 said:

Playing it on Elite, the AI really made this game for me.

Perhaps the plot and setting was generic, but literally FEARING and dreading every single encounter with the Helghast is what makes the whole game memorable for me. It's unrelenting difficulty is amazing, I can't let go of it.

icechai

strange_booj said:
Agree completely. I feel like I'm forcing myself to play through it. I just want to completely ignore it and play multiplayer but I can't.

disagree, first level with the tank even is pretty fun, plus the enemies always do different things so even when you try to take them from route 2 on your 2nd play through they'll still react in new ways. Is the first level terribly special in any sort of way? No, by now you've probably seen or played similar instances in other fps games, but it does make a fun play through and break from multiplayer. What makes it new is how different each playthrough can be and the options you have in battle (new for consoles that is).

Ploid 3.0

Top 3% too. I played a lot of hours trying to unlock all of the abilities (combination badge abilities, and Eagle eye as well). I nearly killed myself friday night. I stayed awake until 4:30 pm saturday trying to unlock the eagle eye medal for the 3rd zoom on sniper rifle or something.

patsu

I finally finished SP at the expense of my work. Need to stay up overnight now but it's well worth it (I think). Thanks GG and err.. Sony !

Raziel

just rented this and played it for a few hours. i loved the demo, but some of the impressions ive been seeing about the SP is that its average or slightly above hence the renting and not buying.

and daaaamn i think its great, im definitely buying. the setpieces themselves are nothing special, but what elevates the game is the quality of the action. the substantial, powerful feel of the guns; the quality of the AI; the level design and all the cover spots; the way debris, smoke and bullets whiz all around; the feedback you get from an enemy when you unload an automatic weapon into him at point blank range. i think it has the best close quarters gunplay since the original FEAR.

methane47

Wow... just played a pistols match ... and I played as Assault (my first time trying it out since they are always locked out in the Beamber games) and Holy crap is that class Godly.. I would spawn and then pistol whip 3 guys and headshot two others all while taking constant fire.. Or also I was able to plant a bomb while taking gunshot fire.. it was ridiculous.. and the BOOST? wow..

Also FF was on.. i didn't know.. Ended up with 18 neg points (70 net) and my team still lost.

EL Beefo

Interesting glitch I found.

I was killed in a game tonight, and about a second after I fell over, he got back up and started doing the hammer slide until he got stuck against a wall. :lol

icechai

SSM25 said:
Do you play 24/7 all the week??

Man this feels so far away, I'll never get it as I have a Job and go to the gym.

also top 1% here, have a job, a sport, gf, etc., just play an hour or 2 a day and consistently score the highest on the winning team (should get you about 100-190 points per game). And let everyone know Saturday you are trying to hit that 1% and to not bother you :p I believe this time around if you got to rank 5000 or better than you got it (i jumped 7000 ranks from playing Saturday :)). Although it will be easier in the coming weeks as the userbase expands, which increases the chance of you getting in the top 1%.

Raist

Banned
methane47 said:
Wow... just played a pistols match ... and I played as Assault (my first time trying it out since they are always locked out in the Beamber games) and Holy crap is that class Godly.. I would spawn and then pistol whip 3 guys and headshot two others all while taking constant fire.. Or also I was able to plant a bomb while taking gunshot fire.. it was ridiculous.. and the BOOST? wow..

Also FF was on.. i didn't know.. Ended up with 18 neg points (70 net) and my team still lost.

Assault is ridiculously unbalanced.

EL Beefo said:
Interesting glitch I found.

I was killed in a game tonight, and about a second after I fell over, he got back up and started doing the hammer slide until he got stuck against a wall. :lol
I love it when that happens. Sometimes you can kill people and they get back up and start dancing:lol

kevm3

Is there a way to 'toggle' the crouching? It's annoying trying to shoot someone, but having to hold down L2 to stay crouched.

Ephemeris

Wow. I just finished the entire inner courtyard section on easy in 2 minutes and 9 seconds (and I stopped to shoot!). In my vet/elite playthroughs I probably didn't even make it to the first checkpoint in that time.

I swear, the people that complain about the game being short are clearly playing it on easy. =/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jag22 said:

There's only 3 really good levels (Desert, level after that, and the last level). But the other 7 had me bored to tears.
I, on the other hand, can't think of a shooter where I enjoyed actual shooting gameplay and shootout situations more. Most of the levels were simply fantastic in their intensity, and enemies some of the smartest ever put into a game. It's not like that consistently of course, but at many times I felt the game simply shamed everything else with the kind of chaos it puts you in, and in what ways enemies try to push you back only for you to ultimately push back at them. Not to mention the animation of it all, that sells it completely. As I said earlier, I have a feeling playing other shooters will now be a bit emptier experience.

raziel said:
and daaaamn i think its great, im definitely buying. the setpieces themselves are nothing special, but what elevates the game is the quality of the action. the substantial, powerful feel of the guns; the quality of the AI; the level design and all the cover spots; the way debris, smoke and bullets whiz all around; the feedback you get from an enemy when you unload an automatic weapon into him at point blank range. i think it has the best close quarters gunplay since the original FEAR.
Yes, pretty much this - I can't think of anything that has this kind of thing done so well. Original Fear was graet in this sense, but the visuals and atmosphere in that look like a child's play now by standards set by this game. There are also some more interesting set pieces later on, so don't worry about that either.

EXGN

Man, Killzone 2 changed the way I play my first person shooters! WB just finally sent us FEAR 2 late last week, and now I'm doing all my shooting from the hip =P

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ephemeris said:
Wow. I just finished the entire inner courtyard section on easy in 2 minutes and 9 seconds (and I stopped to shoot!). In my vet/elite playthroughs I probably didn't even make it to the first checkpoint in that time.

I swear, the people that complain about the game being short are clearly playing it on easy. =/
To be fair, I played on normal and finished it relatively quickly. Normal suited my skill level perfectly.

Not that I complained or anything (I don't think I even checked what my play time was until a couple of days after finishing, honestly). It was a good length, it didn't over stay its welcome, which is a big risk when it comes to single player campaigns in military shooters.

icechai

Wario64 said:
For the people who got the 1% trophy, how many hours did you play during the week?

killzone.com has great stat tracking, although they should add a 2 weeks before option. As it is I can only check in the past month (or "last week" which is actually THIS new week, or all time or last 24 hours, but last month is probably a pretty accurate reflection give or take the crazy weekend launch release playing that got me only a purple badge due to not playing sunday much):

icechai: 1 day, 6 hours

here's the other GAF easters with red badge (more will have it when they log in i think):

full-recovery: 2 days, 8 hours
click: 3 days, 19 hours
thirdengn: 1 day, 15 hours
Greg: 18 hours (you animal!)

EktorPR

Jag22 said:

Couldn't disagree more.

I'm currently treading through the desert level: what has happened before it has been nothing short of "awesome". I've been loving every minute of the campaign, as there has been not one boring second. The game is perfectly paced, which is not a simple thing to do. Congrats, Guerrilla! :)

Top Bottom