• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
domokunrox said:
Not to be off topic or anything, but has anyone noticed that the Offical Halo 3 thread has been up in the front frequently since the Killzone 2 release?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but its blatantly obvious that the useless chatter going on in that thread is simply to inflate its view and post numbers because this thread is ramping up quickly and will pass it in a few months at the rate we're going.

3086McCainFOX_NEWS.gif

xiked said:
Have I done good if I'm around 5000 rank on the leader board? Do anyone know how many that is online and playing? Can Guerilla Games tell us that? Want to know if there is a chance to get this annoying "1%" badge/throphy.
If you are around 5000 all-time, that's very, very good and you'll probably get the grand cross. If you're around 5000 for the week, that's not good enough. You get the citations for being top 1/3/6/10% of everyone who played during that week. On the in-game ranking page, that's the "Week" tab.

Not every player plays each week, so the 1% is smaller. Each page in-game has 10 players. When I looked late last night/early this morning, you'd need to get to about rank 2800 or so to be in the top 1%. Just take the first four digits from the number of pages on the "Week" tab.

Dirtbag

domokunrox said:
Not to be off topic or anything, but has anyone noticed that the Offical Halo 3 thread has been up in the front frequently since the Killzone 2 release?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but its blatantly obvious that the useless chatter going on in that thread is simply to inflate its view and post numbers because this thread is ramping up quickly and will pass it in a few months at the rate we're going.

Wrong

Rikyfree

TheChillyAcademic said:
Oh yeah totally, I was going to post that as well but I'm sure people are sick to death of my ramblings about remakes. Seeing as they already have the engine, I would LOVE a KZ remake.

Also, unless its a sound-a-like, I could swear that the voice of Scholar Visari is indeed Brian Cox in the original as well. Sort of a cool juxtaposition, the beginning of both speeches, in the prologue of both KZ and KZ 2, start the same
Cox is in both. I also have a feeling we'll be seeing a certain shadow marshal and a former spy in some content later on.

Seriously, the GIF replies to my comment is funny.

I understand the new map pack.

But when discussion about how much tundra sucks. Its the equivalent of 2 years later a new post goes like this.

*Time warp to 2011*

"Tharsis Depot sucks so bad. We couldn't play 32 players on that map. The map blows."

*Time warp back to present*

Its not about e-pein or whatever. *cue someone quoting me and replying with my avatar*
Yes, both consoles and games can peacefully co exist, don't be silly.

I just wanted my observation to be known. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought about this.

Anyway, we may continue Killzone 2 discussion here. Stop quoting me. Thanks.

domokunrox said:

But when discussion about how much tundra sucks. Its the equivalent of 2 years later a new post goes like this.

*Time warp to 2011*

"Tharsis Depot sucks so bad. We couldn't play 32 players on that map. The map blows."

Its not about e-pein or whatever. *cue someone quoting me and replying with my avatar*

I just wanted my observation to be known. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought about this.

His conspiracy post may have been stupid, but he's right lets move on ^-^

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
fps fanatic said:
Wouldn't it be great to see Killzone 1 remade with this new tech? Keeping the story, settings, different playable character. But with the K2 engine. I'm just imagining that jungle level in K1 with the new engine......wooooh.

I doubt that would happen but it would be nice to have a map pack based on some of the old locations such as the jungle.

Everdred

Played 6 hours of multiplayer last night and had a blast. I have some gripes with how things work though. Some horrible ideas were thrown into such a great game. For instance the ability for a player to look like a memeber of the other team. AWFUL IDEA. This is great in a game like Team Fortress where it has a point and special mechanics with a sneaking class but with the chaos of Killzone 2 it just seems cheap. The spawn points seem particularly easy to camp. Only half of every map is actually used by players because the teams is usually spaming the other teams spawn area. Some of the maps have areas that players will never even go to because they're set up in such a way that its not practical to go in that direction.

About to get my Lieutenant :)

I need to ask a dumb question without reading through the entire thread: I've seen several posts referring to ammo crates. I'm assuming this is MP, right? Being a shitty shot, I run out of ammo all the time. So there's a way to load up again without scrounging for a dropped weapon? Seriously? Or am I reading more into it than is there? :D

Danielsan

Played about 2 hours of multiplayer tonight. I had an absolute blast and I finally got my medic badge. The singleplayer is fun but the multiplayer is really where it's at (haven't finished the sp yet because of it). The sheer amount of stats and features on the Killzone website are mindboggling.

Crackers

Neo Member
sparky2112 said:
I need to ask a dumb question without reading through the entire thread: I've seen several posts referring to ammo crates. I'm assuming this is MP, right? Being a shitty shot, I run out of ammo all the time. So there's a way to load up again without scrounging for a dropped weapon? Seriously? Or am I reading more into it than is there? :D

Engineers need to repair the ammo crates before you can use them. Also, only crates repaired by your team's engineers can be used.

If you want more ammo at the start, get the 8 good conduct ribbons medal, it gives you more ammo (I think it's double?).

womfalcs3

Banned
Yeah. Some of the maps are badly designed. The spawn areas can devolve into the only place where a team can exist, because the few or one exit out of the area is heavily covered by the opposing team.

EazyB said:
Any GAF games up right now?

It's called the XCM Cross Battle Adapter and it works flawlessly. I bought mine like 2 days before they implemented rumble support but now that's included. The only thing missing is the tilt functionality but you don't need that for multiplayer and switching controllers in SP is really fast and easy. You need a wired 360 controller though.

Yeah I heard about it a while but didn't think it worked too well. Can you map aim to the left trigger and fire to the right one?

Azzwanker

Banned
strange_booj said:
Played 6 hours of multiplayer last night and had a blast. I have some gripes with how things work though. Some horrible ideas were thrown into such a great game. For instance the ability for a player to look like a memeber of the other team. AWFUL IDEA. This is great in a game like Team Fortress where it has a point and special mechanics with a sneaking class but with the chaos of Killzone 2 it just seems cheap. The spawn points seem particularly easy to camp. Only half of every map is actually used by players because the teams is usually spaming the other teams spawn area. Some of the maps have areas that players will never even go to because they're set up in such a way that its not practical to go in that direction.

I love to play like sabotour and to look like a other player :)
I agree with u that the batles are on a specific part of the map and sometimes u dont even see the rest of the map

dralla

wow, capture and hold on radec, repaired the MG and mowed these guys down. got the 10 defensive kills ribbon. damn MG is strooong

tiddles

andycapps said:
Yep, this is what I remember too. I never read about any issues really on here during the open beta.

That's because beta testers were supposed only to talk about the game and offer feedback on the private areas of the official forums at Killzone.com. Of course there was still some chat elsewhere, but we received a vast amount of feedback via this route which helped us fix a great many things that were wrong as a result.

EDIT: If you think Assaults are annoying now, imagine what it was like when their rockets had a kill radius which was about half as large again (the beta) :lol

domokunrox said:

*Time warp to 2011*

One need only to look at your post history to determine your true intention.

tiddles

strange_booj said:

Are you playing Warzone matches (ie. all the modes), or just Bodycount-only servers? The Saboteur's abilities are particularly useful in non-Bodycount modes, especially Assassination and Search & Destroy. In my experience, base spawn-camping also happens a lot less in Warzone. I would also recommend trying out some smaller games (20 is a good size in my view), which definitely have a more tactical feel than the standard 32 player chaos :D

Dax01 said:
One need only to look at your post history to determine your true intention.

15 posts later. You should start a private investigator business. I can see it now. Dax, Private I for hire. Keep up the good work.

domokunrox said:
15 posts later. You should start a private investigator business. I can see it now. Dax, Private I for hire. Keep up the good work.
Sorry I took so long: I was trying to think of the right thing to say (preferably something witty) and ended up with what you saw.

EazyB

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Yeah I heard about it a while but didn't think it worked too well. Can you map aim to the left trigger and fire to the right one?
I think the adapter just mirrors what's on the DS3. You can't customize it in that sense. You can only change the controls through the game.

And I'm glad to see the thread view counting community is still alive and well.

.GqueB.

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Yeah. Some of the maps are badly designed. The spawn areas can devolve into the only place where a team can exist, because the few or one exit out of the area is heavily covered by the opposing team.
Tharsis is like this. Its god awful.

They have a lot of work to do to make this game actually fun once you rank up. Playing with gaf is fine but whenever Im in random rooms its just a bunch or assault and engineer running around with shooties and rocket launchers. No friendly fire of course. Then everyone is a sab or scout. You wanna strategize but no one on your team is talking so you just join the fray and pick up a shotty and have at it. Yay?

EazyB said:
I think the adapter just mirrors what's on the DS3. You can't customize it in that sense. You can only change the controls through the game.

=/ I was just about to buy it to. Really would love the aim and shoot on the triggers like CoD4.

EazyB said:

My brother in law has that adapter. So far hes been ok with it aside the fact that you have to use a wired controller.

EazyB said:

This just in. Popular games are popular. But how popular are they compared to other popular things? More at 11. :lol

Seriously, drop it already. I sort of regret making the comment now. Never again will I think out loud.

Greetings KZ2'ers,

Just picked the game up yesterday and loving it so far. I am surprised that I am more impressed by the gameplay than the visuals. I haven't stepped online yet (don't want to get butchered by you awsome gafers) however, is there an official Gaf server that I would be able to look out for when I take the plunge? I am on the west coast, not sure if it matters.

Odrion

Banned
The multiplayer really is something else, I love the scale of it.

The aiming is horrible thou, but thankfully everyone online suffers from it.

NameIess

Xiked said:
Have I done good if I'm around 5000 rank on the leader board? Do anyone know how many that is online and playing? Can Guerilla Games tell us that? Want to know if there is a chance to get this annoying "1%" badge/throphy.

Liabe Brave said:
If you are around 5000 all-time, that's very, very good and you'll probably get the grand cross. If you're around 5000 for the week, that's not good enough. You get the citations for being top 1/3/6/10% of everyone who played during that week. On the in-game ranking page, that's the "Week" tab.

Not every player plays each week, so the 1% is smaller. Each page in-game has 10 players. When I looked late last night/early this morning, you'd need to get to about rank 2800 or so to be in the top 1%. Just take the first four digits from the number of pages on the "Week" tab.

Based on GG's site there's 600,000 players registered so you are in the 1% for all time play and that's a great accomplishment... Like the other poster stated you need to look at your weekly point score so you can determine if you will get the trophy and Red General icon for next week.

I got the 1% ranking for last week and my overall is in the 1100 range; I should be on track to keep it for this week. I can get points and kills with no problem it's just playing consistently from a time perspective that will present a challenge... :lol:

Varna

LovingSteam said:
Greetings KZ2'ers,

Just picked the game up yesterday and loving it so far. I am surprised that I am more impressed by the gameplay than the visuals. I haven't stepped online yet (don't want to get butchered by you awsome gafers) however, is there an official Gaf server that I would be able to look out for when I take the plunge? I am on the west coast, not sure if it matters.

Someone has been setting up a daily GAF game. Check the online section.

I was more impressed by the visuals before I started playing it. I guess it's something I've taken for granted now that I actually have the game. I really loved playing through the Sp. I found myself liking it less when I figured out the infinite enemy spawns though.

Arnie

domokunrox said:
You're are moron, get over it.

In other news, I am really close to getting my healing ribbon which will be the last one for my medic and my spotting ribbon for my scout. I do want to get 100% of trophies for the game but damn some are going to take me a while. I may resort to boosting with a friend for some of them.

Also, playing through the campaign again on Elite, IT IS SO FUN. It feels endlessly replayable because of how good the AI is. I remember back last GDC when me and another GAFFer were making are concern heard about how we thought the AI looked a tad dumb, however I totally respect GG for what they did with the final product. I think it is overlooked because of the games visuals.

Teknoman

GAF BEAMBER game is up. Password is neogaf.

-ARNiE- said:
You're are moron, get over it.

In other news, I am really close to getting my healing ribbon which will be the last one for my medic and my spotting ribbon for my scout. I do want to get 100% of trophies for the game but damn some are going to take me a while. I may resort to boosting with a friend for some of them.

Also, playing through the campaign again on Elite, IT IS SO FUN. It feels endlessly replayable because of how good the AI is. I remember back last GDC when me and another GAFFer were making are concern heard about how we thought the AI looked a tad dumb, however I totally respect GG for what they did with the final product. I think it is overlooked because of the games visuals.

Might want to edit the first sentence.

.GqueB. said:
Playing with gaf is fine but whenever Im in random rooms its just a bunch or assault and engineer running around with shooties and rocket launchers. No friendly fire of course. Then everyone is a sab or scout.
You just listed two-thirds of the ones with a special ability. That sounds like a decent spread to me!

.GqueB. said:
You wanna strategize but no one on your team is talking so you just join the fray and pick up a shotty and have at it. Yay?
I agree that random games feature very little tactical squad play, so if that's your thing they're going to be less fun. It's not SOCOM, or even Counter-Strike. But depending on your attitude you can still enjoy even the chaotic servers. I play with random folks a lot and almost exclusively as a medic. I still have fun even though my K/D ratio is negative. Just let it wash over you. When chaos is happening that means everyone's bunched up in one or two small areas. This leaves you free to solo around them, to stand off and pick out targets, to start preparing for the next mission in warzone, etc.

And besides, eventually the map will rotate to Pyrrhus Rise and those shotgunners will be target practice.

Varna said:
I really loved playing through the Sp. I found myself liking it less when I figured out the infinite enemy spawns though.
Wasn't it discovered in this thread that there's only one of those
(Visari Palace near the doors)
? The other candidates mentioned--
AA gun assault under the bridge, final part of train level, etc.
--were debunked, I'm pretty sure.

watership

domokunrox said:

This post is one of the Seven Signs.

Top Bottom