• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

xiked said:
Have I done good if I'm around 5000 rank on the leader board? Do anyone know how many that is online and playing? Can Guerilla Games tell us that? Want to know if there is a chance to get this annoying "1%" badge/throphy.

I would like to get some answers but that's might be to much to ask when this thread move in the light of speed...

Well you can see how many pages there are, and there are 10 people per page, so you should be able to determine it that way.

So I popped in Killzone, the original, since I'm on a Killzone binge and I have one piece of advice for any of you GAFers wanting to dip into it...

Don't.

Edit: Fucking Don't

Oni Jazar

EazyB said:
They need to tweak the objectives if they want to make 16 vs 16 work well. IMO many of the maps are big enough, it's just that most objectives encourage everyone to congregate in one location. During search and destroy everyone goes to the single plant zone. In VIP there is a single target where everyone goes to, in that retrieve gametype there is just one thing to go for as well. If they tweaked the gametypes to encourage people to spread out more it'd be a much better 32p game.

Agreed 100%. Hopefully they have more game modes soon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
WHOAguitarninja said:
Well you can see how many pages there are, and there are 10 people per page, so you should be able to determine it that way.

Online there are 16 people per page. Just saying.

Boss Man

Sony's advertising department is seriously useless. I can't believe that all I've seen of this game were three CG commercials of a bullet.

1.) First person gameplay showing a few different weapons and enemies. Visari speech in the background.

2.) Cut to Visari giving speech.

3.) End.

Why hasn't this already been on TV for past two months?

CHRP718

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
So I popped in Killzone, the original, since I'm on a Killzone binge and I have one piece of advice for any of you GAFers wanting to dip into it...

Don't.

Edit: Fucking Don't
Get Killzone: Liberation ;) its great.

mr_nothin

Banned
andycapps said:
Yep, this is what I remember too. I never read about any issues really on here during the open beta. Doesn't matter now as it's in the past and I know that GG is working on issues as we speak, so as long as they get fixed, I'm cool with that. Like you said, the game is very playable like it is, so when it's fixed it'll just be even more addictive crack instead of just addictive crack. :lol
You people like to have selective memory. There were tons of people listing tons of issues (alot of which have been fixed). A lot of people complained about rocket launchers and the assault class. We thought it'd be fixed in the retail version...because well, who would give somebody all of those things in the 1st place.
Like I said, selective memory.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
StateofMind said:
Sony's advertising department is seriously useless. I can't believe that all I've seen of this game were three CG commercials of a bullet.

1.) First person gameplay showing a few different weapons and enemies. Visari speech in the background.

3.) End.

Why hasn't this already been on TV for two months?
Those weren't CG.

CHRP718

Banned
StateofMind said:

3.) End.

Why hasn't this already been on TV for two months?
Times are hard.
Plus I rather put money into development than advertising.

EazyB

Banned
CHRP718 said:
Times are hard.
1. Advertise
2. Sell 3 million copies and have a huge fanbase for the health of the franchise
3. Use the amazing sales to develop future titles

Dave1988

Ploid 3.0 said:
zslrhc.jpg

I want that red mark around my rank badge. Need 1%, may never get it ; ;. And I hope this rank stuff don't disappear after 1 week.

It does :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
CHRP718 said:
Times are hard.

Which dev was it that said the advertising budget for their game was 3 times their development budget... it was a recent pretty big game.

Ill see if I can find it.

Boss Man

CHRP718 said:
Times are hard.

Me too, it's just a little aggravating. I've been playing console FPS since GoldenEye 007, and this is my favorite since. I don't like the thought that so many people will never be introduced to it because all they've seen of it is that lame cutscene commercial.

CHRP718 said:
Times are hard.

While it is understandable given the current economic climate, but there is NO fucking excuse that the PS3's equivalent to Halo 3 or Gears of War has one, MAYBE two adverts running. I see more Star Ocean: The Last Hope commercials then I see KZ2 adverts. Absolutely unacceptable.

Boss Man

I've been playing a lot the past couple of days. Got my overall rank down to 5374 and my K/D is steadily approaching 2:1, sitting at 1.61 now.

This game has actually managed to keep me too occupied to go onto boards and talk about how awesome it is. It's literally too awesome!

PSN: Malpractice. I've played with some of you.

Lince

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:

yes and this week there seems to be less people active (I hope the game isn't failing) so the trophy would get harder to obtain since the first 1500 players are always playing... unless those who already have it aren't taken into account.

CHRP718

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
While it is understandable given the current economic climate, but there is NO fucking excuse that the PS3's equivalent to Halo 3 or Gears of War has one, MAYBE two adverts running. I see more Star Ocean: The Last Hope commercials then I see KZ2 adverts. Absolutely unacceptable.
So true, but when Sony drops the price and gets settled into this generation; I see them putting together some awesome commercials with God of War / Gran Turismo 5 which are their system sellers.

TheFatOne

Lince said:
yes and this week there seems to be less people active (I hope the game isn't failing) so the trophy would get harder to obtain since the first 1500 players are always playing... unless those who already have it aren't taken into account.

Some people like myself are now enjoying the single player campaign lol. I tried to get the top 1% but missed by a little so now I am playing the single player more and I bet there are a lot of people doing that.

xiked

Banned
GodofWine said:
I think that will put you very close to the 1%..I think there are now 550K users online?

Im currently at 127,000 with my new PSN account (old one is apparently gone/corrupt/cannot be fixed yada yada I gave up...RIP TheGodofWine :( )

thanx allot for the info! Good to see that it is a possibility to write and get heard here on this fast moving thread :D

-viper-

Banned
I've not touched my PS3 for quite a while because I've been extremely busy lately. But I'll be sure to play tomorrow for a long time!

Ploid 3.0

Liabe Brave said:
It does. These are weekly honors, not all time. If you ever get it, better take a screenshot during your glorious seven days!

Oh man, I'm going to miss my color. I might as well give up on that 1% then. Stand out for one week? meh. I guess I looked at it like prestige in COD4.

CHRP718 said:
So true, but when Sony drops the price and gets settled into this generation; I see them putting together some awesome commercials with God of War / Gran Turismo 5 which are their system sellers.

I guess part of it has to do with my resentment towards Sony with how they dropped the ball with LBP advertising. As I said in my review, this game is one of the defining moments in modern gaming and I want as many people as possible to enjoy it.

-viper-

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh man, I'm going to miss my color. I might as well give up on that 1% then. Stand out for one week? meh. I guess I looked at it like prestige in COD4.
This Top 1% shit is such a bullshit trophy requirement. I probably won't ever get platinum thanks to it.

EazyB said:
1. Advertise
2. Sell 3 million copies and have a huge fanbase for the health of the franchise
3. Use the amazing sales to develop future titles

I think this game is going to have legs. I have a lot of friends that picked it up this week and promptly started gushing about how great they thought it was. Word of mouth on this thing is going to travel far and I think if the speed which GG has already addressed the first round of issues is going to be a ongoing thing for them the online has the potential to outpace even COD4. I have Demon Souls, SF4 and tomorrow I will have RE5 and I have no desire to play any of them yet.

CHRP718

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
I guess part of it has to do with my resentment towards Sony with how they dropped the ball with LBP advertising. As I said in my review, this game is one of the defining moments in modern gaming and I want as many people as possible to enjoy it.
Yeah, too bad it wasn't a simple game to advertise.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:
This Top 1% shit is such a bullshit trophy requirement. I probably won't ever get platinum thanks to it.

Thats the way I feel. Get all medals would have been more appropriate.

It would have forced you to play all classes and all modes, but without being extreme. You could get it after 2 weeks of heavy playing or 6 months of casual but sustained.

I think 5/10/15/20 would have been far more appropriate.

I feel the same about COD's, BF:BC's and R2's crazy reqs. At least R2 lets you do 10k kills, which is achievable after a long long time.

CHRP718 said:

But I'm not being unreasonable, nor am I being an apologist lol Granted it is/was a very difficult game to correctly market, I still would have liked to see more then what was presented.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I think this game is going to have legs. I have a lot of friends that picked it up this week and promptly started gushing about how great they thought it was. Word of mouth on this thing is going to travel far and I think if the speed which GG has already addressed the first round of issues is going to be a ongoing thing for them the online has the potential to outpace even COD4. I have Demon Souls, SF4 and tomorrow I will have RE5 and I have no desire to play any of them yet.

Oh Bruce :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
CHRP718 said:

They could have made a ton of those ads they played in Europe. The ones with a voice overlay and a small story. The guy proposing, the family having a picnic...

Also theme them to other games, and generally show the versatility of the game.

They had 3 total I think. They could have put together at least a different ad for each game environment with a small funny story for a 30 second clip.

Or combined advertising. Show a 2 second clip of Motrostorm, then transition into a race in LBP. Show 2 seconds of MGS4, then LBP with their whimsical take on MGS. Same with Wipeout. God of War and Kratos. Heavenly Sword and Nariko and so forth.

If the money was there, its doable.

Not to be off topic or anything, but has anyone noticed that the Offical Halo 3 thread has been up in the front frequently since the Killzone 2 release?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but its blatantly obvious that the useless chatter going on in that thread is simply to inflate its view and post numbers because this thread is ramping up quickly and will pass it in a few months at the rate we're going.

GodofWine

BruceLeeRoy said:
I think this game is going to have legs.

Agreed, I have 3 guys in my office, ones a "PC", ones an "Xbox" and ones a "PSP", and all three came up to me separately and said "I heard you are playing Killzone" and all three are waiting for the price of a PS3 to drop to buy now.

So if it drops = 3 noobs to POWN

raYne

domokunrox said:
Not to be off topic or anything, but has anyone noticed that the Offical Halo 3 thread has been up in the front frequently since the Killzone 2 release?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but its blatantly obvious that the useless chatter going on in that thread is simply to inflate its view and post numbers because this thread is ramping up quickly and will pass it in a few months at the rate we're going.
Too late.

Thread post count. Serious Business.

dralla

o proximity mines, I love thee. these guys were talking so much shit because I was using the assault badge [blowing up the 4 turrets they had in the planting room]. than I was the target for assassination on radec, I was up in the sniper tower and laid mines down to protect me. the guys came in yelling "O WE GON GET U NOW ROCKET WHORE". one by one they kept charging into my mines and I survived :]

CHRP718

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
But I'm not being unreasonable, nor am I being an apologist lol Granted it is/was a very difficult game to correctly market, I still would have liked to see more then what was presented.

Oh Bruce :p
Oh yeah, I completely agree with you.
SackBoy should have been everywhere.
Plushies / TV Specials / Billboards

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
domokunrox said:

l_fc917d6aa22148388d46e141496dab0d.gif

domokunrox said:

Useless chatter? Are you new to the internet?

And no one in the Halo3 thread is counting posts and views. Even when the KZ2 hype thread surpassed the Halo3 thread, no one said anything.

methane47

domokunrox said:

:lol :lol

A+ will read again.

domokunrox said:

Look to the Plot and Narrative. Look to the Plot and Narrative!!!!

Edit: And to be fair, 343 Guilty Spark is one of the greatest characters in modern gaming.

Voltron64

domokunrox said:

15y153.gif

GhaleonEB

domokunrox said:

Halo 3 just had a new map pack released for it, and the discussion the thread is (mostly) about that new content. It's pretty normal for the release of new content to stir discussion about a game after it's been out for a while, especially games with such a large active player base. Halo 3 was #1 on Live again this week (though it won't last); people are just still playing and talking about the game. Seriously, the console wars are one thing, but surely threads can co-exist peacefully?

No one cares how big the thread is, or how it relates to any other. Thank goodness. There's e-pein and there's "what have I done?!".

Anyhoo....

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:
Wouldn't it be great to see Killzone 1 remade with this new tech? Keeping the story, settings, different playable character. But with the K2 engine. I'm just imagining that jungle level in K1 with the new engine......wooooh.

JB1981

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3 just had a new map pack released for it, and the discussion the thread is (mostly) about that new content. It's pretty normal for the release of new content to stir discussion about a game after it's been out for a while, especially games with such a large active player base. Halo 3 was #1 on Live again this week (though it won't last); people are just still playing and talking about the game. Seriously, the console flame wars are one thing, but surely threads can co-exist peacefully?

No one cares how big the thread is, or how it relates to any other. Thank goodness. There's e-pein and there's "what have I done?!".

Anyhoo....

How the hell did you know this post was even in here? :lol

Flunkie

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Wouldn't it be great to see Killzone 1 remade with this new tech? Keeping the story, settings, different playable character. But with the K2 engine. I'm just imagining that jungle level in K1 with the new engine......wooooh.
Holy shit.

JB1981 said:
How the hell did you know this post was even in here? :lol
It was posted in the Halo thread, making fun of it.

Angst

fps fanatic said:

If they put that as DLC on PSN I'd buy it day 1. And make me a happy guy :D I also made the mistake of playing K1 on my PS2 this week... not a good idea after playing K2.

fps fanatic said:

Oh yeah totally, I was going to post that as well but I'm sure people are sick to death of my ramblings about remakes. Seeing as they already have the engine, I would LOVE a KZ remake.

Also, unless its a sound-a-like, I could swear that the voice of Scholar Visari is indeed Brian Cox in the original as well. Sort of a cool juxtaposition, the beginning of both speeches, in the prologue of both KZ and KZ 2, start the same

Top Bottom