• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

You GAFw sons of bitches can consider yourselves lucky I won't be around for tomorrow night's game.

But rest assured I'll be doling out the digital sodomy once I get back home on Sunday.

EazyB

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
:O

Moved the PS3 to my 50inch Sammy. :OOOOO I can see more of those ISA scum to shoot down online. muhahahahaha.
I find playing competitively with a huge screen is actually harder. Should make for a very cinematic experience though.

Zen

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
I liked Natko by the end actually. Not really sure why everyone hates him.

His actions are nowhere near as stupid as Ricos,
whos complete idiocy causes the life of a squad mate and made the entire objective of the game useless at the end. The ISA are complete fools if they let him continue serving. I wished Narville had taken him out at the end, or AT LEAST arrested him.

I though it was pretty clear that Raddec was just about to shoot Evalyn (or was his gun on Garza?) when Rico said 'fuck this
. What else could they have done, really?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
My only complaint with this game so far is with regard to the sound.

A. The music is pretty generic. I wish this game had gotten a live orchestra like Uncharted. It was definitely a missed opportunity. It really changes how a game feels to have midi arranged music instead of a grand score. Heck, the music there, recorded with an orchestra, would have been amazing.

B. The way dialog fades in and out and is often waaaay too quiet, only to abruptly pop in with the annoying and extremely loud in comparison to the other dialog walkie talkie sound, is annoying. Sure they give you subtitles, but half the time I'm engaged in battle and can't read what they said. Other games localize the sound to where it should be coming from with regard to where they are standing in relation to you but don't let it fade out, and that works the best. I think it's admirable they went for realism, but realism should never be had at the expense of missing dialog and story elements.

Those are minor complaints. The game itself is easily an A in my book.

-Winnie-

MvmntInGrn said:

whos complete idiocy causes the life of a squad mate and made the entire objective of the game useless at the end. The ISA are complete fools if they let him continue serving. I wished Narville had taken him out at the end, or AT LEAST arrested him.

I would call Rico's actions emotional, not stupid. He acted on his gut and what he felt was justice.
Natko on the other hand is just a dickhead. He doesn't really do anything BAD, but his actual character is just annoying and unlikeable for me.
"I gotta get back in time to tuck in Garza's mum! HUR HUR"
Honestly... HONESTLY. And he's the only one who laughs at his jokes. Most of the "cringe worthy" dialogue was from Natko.

Yeah, I just don't like the guy. :l

CHRP718

Banned
Zen said:
I though it was pretty clear that Raddec was just about to shoot Evalyn (or was his gun on Garza?) when Rico said 'fuck this
He
should have waited for Sev to do his thing

____

drakesfortune said:

A. The music is pretty generic. I wish this game had gotten a live orchestra like Uncharted. It was definitely a missed opportunity. It really changes how a game feels to have midi arranged music instead of a grand score. Heck, the music there, recorded with an orchestra, would have been amazing.

B. The way dialog fades in and out and is often waaaay too quiet, only to abruptly pop in with the annoying and extremely loud in comparison to the other dialog walkie talkie sound, is annoying. Sure they give you subtitles, but half the time I'm engaged in battle and can't read what they said. Other games localize the sound to where it should be coming from with regard to where they are standing in relation to you but don't let it fade out, and that works the best. I think it's admirable they went for realism, but realism should never be had at the expense of missing dialog and story elements.

A, I don't agree with...I thought it sounded fine.

B, I agree 1000% if that's even possible. Kinda a small annoyance, but definitely noticeable.

Zen said:

Radec said Garza was next. Looked like he was pointing at him too.

I think Rico didn't want to let Radec escape, and not only did he fail at that but Garza died too.

-Winnie- said:
I would call Rico's actions emotional, not stupid. He acted on his gut and what he felt was justice.
Natko on the other hand is just a dickhead. He doesn't really do anything BAD, but his actual character is just annoying and unlikeable for me.
"I gotta get back in time to tuck in Garza's mum! HUR HUR"
Honestly... HONESTLY. And he's the only one who laughs at his jokes. Most of the "cringe worthy" dialogue was from Natko.

Yeah, I just don't like the guy. :l

Emotions are expected but Sev pointed out that going in head on was silly and they had the opportunity to overwhelm them. All he had to do was wait, at worst Garza would have been shot but Radec would be dead/captured. Instead Radec was alive and they were a man down.

For someone in his position he should have known better, its not like a rookie made a bad call. I mean sure if this was his only mistake in the game, but the end was ridiculous IMO. :lol

jett

D-Member
drakesfortune said:

The music does have a live orchestra, and it is spectacular.

What I want to see in the next big patch.

Online features
- A lobby system/ ability to invite friends
- Ability to kick players from the server if you are the host, but only before or after a game.
- Give me more info about the server before I join it.
- Ability to text search for a server
- The killzone.com website to actually work from the PS3 browser, the whole point of it is to see your stats, but that tab " My killzone" doesn't show on the browser.
It should take you directly to your stats once you open it. How the fuck did this pass through the QA btw? It's almost thread worth of how Sony got so stupid this gen.

Gameplay
- Weapon rebalance, There seems to be only 3 guns that people use ( shotgun, ISA rifle, Sabateur SMG) because the other ones suck.
- Helghast rifle should give more damage
- Sabateur single rifle gun should have less recoil and a bit more aim assist
- Grenade launcher should have more ammo
- Better accuracy for the LMGs.

- Tactician spawn points should only be used 5 times by teammates or destroyable which will encourage better spawn point placments by the Tacticians.
- Tactician sentry bot should give as much damage as the Engineer's bot.
- Lower the range for the shotgun
- Engineer able to use the LMGs.

I can't think of anything else right now.

Rapping Granny said:

Online features
- Ability to kick players from the server if you are the host, but only before or after a game.
- The killzone.com website to actually work from the PS3 browser, the whole point of it is to see your stats, but that tab " My killzone" doesn't show on the browser.
The link should take you directly to your stats.

Gameplay
- Weapon rebalance, There seems to be only 3 guns that people use ( shotgun, ISA rifle, Sabateur SMG) because the other ones suck.

- Tactician spawn points should only be used 5 times by teammates or destroyable which will encourage better spawn point placments by the Tacticians.

Really great list, I agree fully

MvmntInGrn said:

Natko was actually a realistic character,
you could tell he was a dick, no qualm about it, but he was nervous, he was scared. Being an asshole was the way he coped with the insanity of the situation.

Well
if anything, Rico just surprised them. Garza was shot by a Helghast who reacted to Rico's charge. If they had waited, Garza would have most likely been shot in the head by Radec anyway. And given what we've seen of Radec's fighting ability, I doubt he would have gone down without inflicting a casualty or two.

As for Rico's
actions at the end of the game, its clear, he's lost it. If you look at his history throughout the series, he's had a lot of shit to deal it and has handled most of it well. Unfortunately, he picked the wrong time to loose control of himself. Killing the scholar was not only exactly what Visari wanted (debatable), but he also gave the Helghan's a new breath of wind.

Aladuf

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
On the topic of that rifle, I'm not sure if they actually did or not, but it feels to me that they actually gimped that rifle a bit with the second patch. I used to use it pretty much exclusively but then it seems that its range while hipshooting has been decreased pretty significantly with the patch. I agree with your fixes though.

Rapping Granny said:
You're really off on a bunch of points but this is ridiculous, it literally has 0 recoil. Stand still, fire it, empty the whole mag as fast as you can push the button, the reticule doesn't bloom.

Aladuf said:
On the topic of that rifle, I'm not sure if they actually did or not, but it feels to me that they actually gimped that rifle a bit with the second patch. I used to use it pretty much exclusively but then it seems that its range while hipshooting has been decreased pretty significantly with the patch. I agree with your fixes though.

And the same for the HGH gun, it use to have as good accuracy if not better than the ISA one when you shoot from the hip, but now it just spreads like the LMGs.

MickeyKnox said:
You're really off on a bunch of points but this is ridiculous, it literally has 0 recoil. Stand still, fire it, empty the whole mag as fast as you can push the button, the reticule doesn't bloom.

WTF? are we talking about the same gun here, everytime you fire it from the hip, the gun drastically goes up in the screen, I am always having to aim at the feet first, so that the second bullet will get to the body or head.

Kittonwy

Banned
Great games tonight, except for the silly spawn point placements.
angry.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
EazyB said:
I find playing competitively with a huge screen is actually harder. Should make for a very cinematic experience though.
My friend plays fps on a 50 inch tv that he sits about 5 ft from wondering why hes worst than me. I keep giving him the "imagine yourself sitting in the front row of a movie theater and realize that you have to move your head and eyes everywhere to see anything" example and he still isnt getting it.

FINALLY got the 8 ribbons for turret kills. God, that took forever. I hate how some are so easy to do (spawn points) and others take days. I'm not looking forward to the flying robots ribbon hunt. On the bright side, I'm having a lot more fun now that I'm not so focused on getting those damn turrets down before my teammates so I could actually get a few kills.

peetfeet

ThirstyFly said:
FINALLY got the 8 ribbons for turret kills. God, that took forever. I hate how some are so easy to do (spawn points) and others take days. I'm not looking forward to the flying robots ribbon hunt. On the bright side, I'm having a lot more fun now that I'm not so focused on getting those damn turrets down before my teammates so I could actually get a few kills.

Turrets are finally falling ino place for me too, managed to get 3 more ribbons last night without resorting to boosting in 1v1. Up to 5 ribbons now hopefully wont be long til I get 8!

Rapping Granny said:

Online features
It should take you directly to your stats once you open it. How the fuck did this pass through the QA btw? It's almost thread worth of how Sony got so stupid this gen.

Gameplay

I agree with everything you've said aside from the bolds I made.

People only use those particular weapons because of several reasons.

Shotguns are extremely tard friendly. Aim for the chest. Shoot. Repeat. No need to count bullets or Ironsight.

ISA rifle is used by many simply because of the dot sight. Nothing else needs to be said about that.

Grenade launcher doesn't need more ammo, that just encourages spaming the weapon.

Rapping Granny said:
WTF? are we talking about the same gun here, everytime you fire it from the hip, the gun drastically goes up in the screen, I am always having to aim at the feet first, so that the second bullet will get to the body or head.
The STA14, right? Not the automatic.

Yeah it has absolutely no recoil. Stop moving when you're shooting. The crosshairs don't expand nor move.

.GqueB. said:
My friend plays fps on a 50 inch tv that he sits about 5 ft from wondering why hes worst than me. I keep giving him the "imagine yourself sitting in the front row of a movie theater and realize that you have to move your head and eyes everywhere to see anything" example and he still isnt getting it.

But....it's so much more immersive! Especially when you factor in surround sound and some good biased lighting :D

Took the night off from MP to finally get around to finishing the campaign on Elite.

What a fucking ride.

I have never had my ass handed to me like this in a game before. Playing Uncharted on Crushing doesn't even compare to this.

Glad I'm done, though. Just a couple more trophies until Platinum! :D

Dirtbag

Rapping Granny said:

Online features

Gameplay

Also

-Ability to search for games in the 20-26 player range.
-Spread the two bomb plant zones further apart for Search and Destroy game modes creating two fronts.
-Ironsighting on the 3 rifle weapons needs an accuracy boost. Makes no sense that you can hip-fire with greater accuracy then you would shouldering a weapon. It's like they planned on having more lethal weapons, switched them to less damaging, and forgot to tweak back the gun's accuracy.
-Assault class, I dunno figure something out. Its fucked.
-Saboteur, maybe there is an audio or visual que that a saboteur is nearby, or they need to be 'discovered' quicker.
-Power weapon spawns for variety. Flamethrower / Bolt Gun / Lightning Gun. Perhaps they only spawn for certain gamemodes?
-Traditional Touch-Return CTF mode added.
-Hardcore mode. (More damage, no crosshairs enforced, otherwise full hud remains - game modes would get too confusing without the huds)
-ability to veto gamemodes on the fly before they start.

Been trying to finish my Elite run and am now up to the last fight :( On the checkpoint where the doors for the balcany open up so i only have the hardest part of the game left to do before i finish it :D

Afterwards gonna go and collect some missing trophies that i havent bothered to get yet such as Safari hunter,knife kills and intel/symbols and than i can finally get going with the online fun :D

Assault class needs a nerf. I don't understand why the class that can do the most splash damage also gets most health, speed and quicker regen. At the environment that the assault class is unlocked in, the ammo penalty doesn't hurt him as much. I'm actually more curious what GG's rationale was in giving us this iteration of the assault class.

Riptwo

Gully State said:
Assault class needs a nerf. I don't understand why the class that can do the most splash damage also gets most health, speed and quicker regen. At the environment that the assault class is unlocked in, the ammo penalty doesn't hurt him as much. I'm actually more curious what GG's rationale was in giving us this iteration of the assault class.

I find that the Assault class is pretty much there to counterbalance the sniper on larger maps like Phyrrus Rise. It seems to be the most effective way of facing off against a group that's determined on hanging back at their base and picking off anyone trying to approach. On small maps, Assault is a problem due to rocket spam, but it generally doesn't help that most servers are stuffing 32 players into the game's smallest maps. I get the feeling that the class wouldn't seem so unbalanced if servers would adjust the player count to match their map cycles.

Also, I've gotta say that I'm actively gunning for honour ranks this week. I think they're a brilliant addition, as I don't recall compulsively playing an FPS online since the first Quake.

Zen

Banned
Honor ranks? Are these different than the typical ranks/level ups? Or are you talking about the 'you've placed in the top X percent' thing?

SickBoy

First off, I can't believe someone mistook the music for MIDI... best MIDI ever?

I think the 32-player matches generally work OK... at their best, you can feel the struggle to push for territory. In a five-minute round of search and destroy, for example, it's like you're grabbing inch-by-inch from your enemy.

Problem is, at their worst they're pretty annoying. Seems to me that some people spend more time worrying about their career stats and just go into a game for a shooting gallery. But to succeed you need that will to push, and to a degree you need cannon fodder when the fighting's that intense. There have been occasions where I've been on teams and questioned whether my teammates want to win.

haarbol

First off, I can't believe someone mistook the music for MIDI... best MIDI ever?

The music is actually a mixture of midi and orchestral.

Ingame music is mostly midi, cutscene music is mostly real orchestra. :)

jmd494

I'm making my top 1% run next week. I currently have the points x3 perk during body count matches.

Are there any other point multiplier perks that I can unlock (for body count mode) prior to Sunday that will help me get in the top 1%?

-Winnie-

haarbol said:

Really? Wow, MIDI has come a long way. I had no idea there was any MIDI in KZ2.

Speaking of the audio, any news on the possibility of a K2 soundtrack coming out anytime soon? The Sony/GG marketing department should pull their heads out of their asses and release something...

Lince

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
I'm making my top 1% run next week. I currently have the points x3 perk during body count matches.

Are there any other point multiplier perks that I can unlock (for body count mode) prior to Sunday that will help me get in the top 1%?

headshot and melee multipliers?

Doc Evils

The Wise Old Man said:
Speaking of the audio, any news on the possibility of a K2 soundtrack coming out anytime soon? The Sony/GG marketing department should pull their heads out of their asses and release something...

Sony sucks arse at that good luck.

jett

D-Member
-Winnie- said:

I don't believe it's "midi", it's high quality pre-recorded music, done in synthesizers, intended to simulate a symphonic sound. :p Cut-scenes uses music actually peformed by an orchestra.

...as far as i know!

-Winnie- said:
Well MIDI is just an interface. It like being impressed that Killzone 2 consists of only ones and zeros. Midi doesn´t have a sound. It just says: "play this tone" to a generator and depending on what you send that signal to it can sound like a SNES game or a high end DTS HD game.

EDIT: You could actually say that shotgun shot is tone "C" and everytime you fire a C tone is sent as MIDI that is translated to a shotgun firing.

F#A#Oo

Banned
blindrocket said:
Thanks.

Do you think it matters what rank you are to rank highly? Obviously the better the player the higher you will rank, but does it practically require a higher rank? I am trying to come up with a strategy on how and when to go for the MP Trophies.

It's ranked based yes...so you have to be below 4500-ish rank...

Bennettt2

jett said:
I don't believe it's "midi", it's high quality pre-recorded music, done in synthesizers, intended to simulate a symphonic sound. :p Cut-scenes uses music actually peformed by an orchestra.

...as far as i know!

I think it's still MIDI but played back with very high quality samples. The samples were probably recorded from real instruments, though...

cameltoe

jett said:

...as far as i know!

sampled and played from a keyboard/sampler via MIDI

andycapps

haarbol said:

Awesome job on the music if it was you that did it.

Wasn't able to get online with you guys last night as I was having issues connecting to PSN but it was on my end. I'll get it sorted out tonight, but I didn't feel like it last night so I played some more of the story mode.
Got to the point where Radec shot Garza (I think) and he died and now I'm on Templar's ship trying to get to him. These skinny Helghast dudes are feisty!

Top Bottom