• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

No Love

Banned
So I guiess the Vita is as powerful as the PS3 then?

No, but Guerrilla Games is so accomplished with getting power out of hardware that even on a system like Vita (which is a fraction of the power of a PS3), they get better results than most developers can with a system like the PS3.

deafmedal

Welp, I was on the fence preordering this (I would have bought it eventually otherwise), seeing how I just got my Vita three weeks ago, and already picked up a case, screen protector, memory card, 40 bucks of PSN stuff and Dragon's Crown, not to mention GTA V preorder... I figured that was enough on vidya games for a bit.

Not my wife, lol! She didn't want me to miss the preorder bonuses :p

Drakeon

Guys, do I go with Digital or Physical? I can't decide. I know it takes a fuckton of space, but to have it there at all times for multiplayer is also awful tempting.

I really can't wait to see what's at the end of the vita's life, that is if Sony is still trying to make AAA games on it. I mean, on the PSP we got God of War Ghost of Sparta which was so damn impressive.

Here's hoping this holiday season isn't it. Go out and buy a Vita or two, people!

krioto

Guys, do I go with Digital or Physical? I can't decide. I know it takes a fuckton of space, but to have it there at all times for multiplayer is also awful tempting.

I went digital - yes it's big - but I can see myself always playing this, so good to have without needing to change cards

Massa

is it? or is it more portable in mission layout and what not. or is it console 'experience'?

The single player missions are 30-45 minutes long, so not really. They're different in design than Killzone 2 and 3 though, but nothing specific to portable form factor. On the other hand the deathmatch and team deathmatch modes in multiplayer go for 10 minutes per round, so that's actually pretty great for quick sessions.

You should read EatChildren's review, it's a good one.

Apocryphon

Bought it. Played it. Loved it.

Game is gorgeous, a decent length, has plenty of content, and the multiplayer is a blast. We asked for console experiences and they delivered.

I particularly liked this area:

1OF35AL

ZdH7LWg

p3PZYk1

UiycUoc

SmokyDave

Finished it over the weekend. I loved it from start to end. I've only played the 'normal' versions of the levels so far. I'm torn between playing through 'em again on a higher difficulty, or trying out some of the alternate mission styles. Still plenty of replayability left.

I haven't really played around with the weapons or vanguard systems all that much yet. I just found a loadout that worked for me and stuck with it throughout the game for the most part. I'm looking forward to dabbling a lot more on my second playthrough.

Parts of the game are just jaw-dropping. I know the vast cityscapes are achieved with smoke & mirrors, but sometimes you find yourself looking out over the world and thinking 'holy shit'. It just looks so good.

So, I played through the SP on normal. I started with the M82 and it was pretty easy, so I switched to other weapons and changed my playstyle. It resulted in way more dying, but it was actually more fun. I'm a boss with the VC8 now :D That thing is a beauty. Dat reload animation °.°

Also, the preorder bonus weapon is absolutely perfect for quickscoping.

But I very much dislike the fact that I can't start a multiplayer match after I put the Vita in sleep mode. I have to restart the whole game... That sucks.

zakislam

So I downloaded this today, but it just keeps saying "Waiting to install" and when clicking on it it says "Could not find the application".

There were two other 3 GB Killzone files downloading too, I think they were language packs. One says Killzone Mercenary (EFIGS;DUT;POR) while the other says (POL;RUS;TUR). I cancelled those two. But now I'm installing the first language pack one to see if it works.

Massa

So I downloaded this today, but it just keeps saying "Waiting to install" and when clicking on it it says "Could not find the application".

There were two other 3 GB Killzone files downloading too, I think they were language packs. One says Killzone Mercenary (EFIGS;DUT;POR) while the other says (POL;RUS;TUR). I cancelled those two. But now I'm installing the first language pack one to see if it works.

Those aren't language packs, they're two different versions of the game. The first one failed to install because it was just the patch, and it needs the game to be installed first.

zakislam

Those aren't language packs, they're two different versions of the game. The first one failed to install because it was just the patch, and it needs the game to be installed first.

Ah, thanks man. So what's the difference between these two versions?

Afro

Just saw the PS VITA TV announcement.

Now all those who use their actual Vita to play Killzone: Mercenary online are gonna' get their asses handed to them by those using a Dualshock + monitor combo, no?

coughlanio

MROW5aw.jpg

Finished on Veteran difficulty, 3h31 which is quite short considering it's the highest difficulty. I'd say play it on Veteran if you want more of a challenge, but it's not that hard, especially with ballistic armour.

It says 206 deaths, but I'd say ~100 of those were on a single part, because it checkpointed me beside a flamethrower heavy, who kept insta-killing me.

Also, times killed doesn't contribute towards the final timer, so I probably spent closer to 5/6 hours in single player.

Multiplayer is that fucking good. I'm still amazed at how well it all flows and controls and just how intact that awesome, weighty Killzone feel is on a handheld device.

It honestly plays better than 90% of console shooters and the dynamism of Warzone - while not as prevalent as that found in its console brethren - is definitely there. The Interrogation objective is disgustingly fun. Just before, I got the jump on two guys with my trusty dart gun, took them both out with some fine shootin' and one after the other, put them out of their misery with some swift stabs to the head, providing valuable intel for my team. It was delicious.

Sure, there are a few things that could benefit from some slight tweaking, such as the Mantys Engine being a tad OP, the ridiculous on-screen size of the STA-13's scope and the inability to interrupt an interrogation with a melee attack, but to have something that feels so comprehensive in the palm of your hand is just beyond cool.

I guess the best thing I could say about it is that it feels and looks like a modern Killzone game; not a watered-down, mechanically-gimped iteration, but a bonafide instalment that complements the series very nicely.

Shai-Tan

Banned
how long is the single player (is it worth it just for the single)? I can't play multiplayer because of how atrocious their p2p design is

Cha

how long is the single player (is it worth it just for the single)? I can't play multiplayer because of how atrocious their p2p design is

Depends on how you play really. For me - I'm really bad at these type of games so my playthrough was about 8 hours. I've seen people saying that they've completed it in 4 hours. The in-game clock is screwed up, and seriously under cuts the amount of time you may have played for (People have said doesn't count the times when you've died). It's kinda short compared to the other types of games I've played on the vita, but you have multiple ways you can approach each level as well as 3 other different objective modes that make the game worth playing through again (stealth, demolition and precision modes).

If you're only going to play single player it may keep you entertained for a few days, but I personally wouldn't suggest going in full price just for the Singleplayer campaign. It is a great experience though. Perhaps you could buy a physical copy so you can trade it in once you're done.

nampad

Damn GG Cambridge, why did you have to include those proximity mines in the game? Such a skillless noob weapon.

Just played some rounds after several days without the game and now everybody is laming with the mines. Like with the nades, the splash damage is imbalanced.

Every fucking shooter degrades to this mines mess. I can already see the noobtubes being the next flavor of the month.

I'm only part way in but I'm really liking this game. Made me love my Vita purchase ever so greatly more. I also have to say this might be my fave Killzone yet and I really liked 2 and 3. If Shadowfall is at least as good as this I'm even more hyped for the PS4. I think the missions are great. Some nice moments and its not just run and gun. I actually like exploring (though I wish there was more to find) and being stealthy (even if I'm forever getting busted). But it's fun. And did I mention about how great it looks? No well it looks amazing!!

Adahn

Damn GG Cambridge, why did you have to include those proximity mines in the game? Such a skillless noob weapon.

Just played some rounds after several days without the game and now everybody is laming with the mines. Like with the nades, the splash damage is imbalanced.

Every fucking shooter degrades to this mines mess. I can already see the noobtubes being the next flavor of the month.

Wear heavier armour? Don't run into the flashing beeping thing? Sorry to sound a little bit sarcastic, but I don't find them over powered at all. I used them a fair bit at first, and you hardly get any kills from them compared to the rest of your loadout.

Some of the other grenades are much more interesting to me, pyro and flash especially.

Edit: Actually, I wondered if they nerfed the splash damage with that 1gb patch as I've noticed more people surviving from explosions than before. Couldn't work out whether that was because damage had been reduced universally or whether people had moved to different armour

nampad

Wear heavier armour? Don't run into the flashing beeping thing? Sorry to sound a little bit sarcastic, but I don't find them over powered at all. I used them a fair bit at first, and you hardly get any kills from them compared to the rest of your loadout.

Some of the other grenades are much more interesting to me, pyro and flash especially.

Edit: Actually, I wondered if they nerfed the splash damage with that 1gb patch as I've noticed more people surviving from explosions than before. Couldn't work out whether that was because damage had been reduced universally or whether people had moved to different armour

Sorry, with nearly all of the players spamming them in the last DM I played, it's just annoying.
And thanks for your tips, I know how to play. You can't see/hear every mine, even if they are flashing and beeping.

BTW, pyro nades sucks in my opinion.

Adahn

And thanks for your tips, I know how to play.

BTW, pyro nades sucks in my opinion.

Sorry, tired tonight, probably could have been less arse-ish in my reply :)

I like the pyro grenades, but I think that's because of the ability to detonate when I like. I don't run with them in a default loadout but I have them somewhere there as an option.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just saw the PS VITA TV announcement.

Now all those who use their actual Vita to play Killzone: Mercenary online are gonna' get their asses handed to them by those using a Dualshock + monitor combo, no?

Nope. Killzone won't be compatible, just like most of the current retail Vita library. It uses touch as a requirement, therefore won't be compatible. It uses touch for various vanguard uses such as sky fury and the porcupine. It uses touch for the hacking minigame. It uses touch for a qte every time you melee. The amount of touch use is way too heavy to be patched.

Also I'd just like to say that damn the counter melee is overpowered. You can counter a melee waaaaaaaay quicker than the guy who initiated it can finish it. When you initiate a melee you have to wait for the prompt before you swipe. When countering you don't have to wait for jack. Just swipe up like a madman. It's kinda broken and makes meleeing way too dangerous.

Anyone have any idea is this is getting a launch tonight on the PSN?

Or will it be with the Store update tomorrow evening? If it comes out late tonight I would go digital to play it ASAP and always have it with me. But it it won't be then I'll likely pick this up from Wal Mart on my way to work tomorrow.

Ljwinter

Banned
Game comes out tomorrow. Haven't seen any ads or mention of it anywhere. Sony really needs to market this game. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Has Newegg shipped anyone's copy yet? I have yet to receive notice of mine being dispatched, and I hope I won't have to wait til next week to play it.

TehPabz

Pre ordered it cant wait to pick it up tomorrow >.>! now time to go to sleep and wake up and kill some shit tomorrow! D:.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nope. Killzone won't be compatible, just like most of the current retail Vita library. It uses touch as a requirement, therefore won't be compatible. It uses touch for various vanguard uses such as sky fury and the porcupine. It uses touch for the hacking minigame. It uses touch for a qte every time you melee. The amount of touch use is way too heavy to be patched.

Also I'd just like to say that damn the counter melee is overpowered. You can counter a melee waaaaaaaay quicker than the guy who initiated it can finish it. When you initiate a melee you have to wait for the prompt before you swipe. When countering you don't have to wait for jack. Just swipe up like a madman. It's kinda broken and makes meleeing way too dangerous.

A major game like Killzone I see getting a patch for Vita TV compatibility.

Anyone have any idea is this is getting a launch tonight on the PSN?

Or will it be with the Store update tomorrow evening? If it comes out late tonight I would go digital to play it ASAP and always have it with me. But it it won't be then I'll likely pick this up from Wal Mart on my way to work tomorrow.

Anyone have an idea?

Top Bottom