• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

This is going to sound funny but though KZ2 is my favorite there are a lot of elements here that are better than any of the other games. I also completely agree about the swearing. It turned every character into a caricature.

The low reviews for this game are ridiculous. This is the best handheld title I have played on either my 3ds or Vita this whole year. The MP is so addicting and polished in a way I never expected from a handheld. Edge in particular really annoyed me with "It's the best a handheld FPS could ever be but do we even want it?" What does that even mean?

edge just being edge in all honesty man

Edge in particular really annoyed me with "It's the best a handheld FPS could ever be but do we even want it?" What does that even mean?

I think it means, "why would people buy Vitas to play this when they can play Killzone, or Call of Duty or Halo or Titanfall or Destiny or [insert other shooter here] on a home console, where you'll get better graphics and multiplayer?" I don't know about Europe (where Edge is located) but North America seems to need a better reason to play portable games than just "you can take it with you."

I mean, obviously I don't agree personally, since I just spent an hour on the subway playing glorious Killzone, but I assume that's what Edge--and a lot of other people--are thinking.

Oni Jazar

Did the campaign feel short to anyone else? I understand CG added those side missions for extra replay value, but Veteran difficulty felt like a breeze to me.

I've only played the first mission but I died like 20 times at the end on Veteran. That final "encounter" was rough. :(

On another note I agree that the reviews are ridiculously harsh. This game is awesome.

I think it means, "why would people buy Vitas to play this when they can play Killzone, or Call of Duty or Halo or Titanfall or Destiny or [insert other shooter here] on a home console, where you'll get better graphics and multiplayer?" I don't know about Europe (where Edge is located) but North America seems to need a better reason to play portable games than just "you can take it with you."

I mean, obviously I don't agree personally, since I just spent an hour on the subway playing glorious Killzone, but I assume that's what Edge--and a lot of other people--are thinking.

If that's their thinking its ridiculous. Why would I want any game at that point on a handheld. If it can provide a fantastic "portable" experience it shouldn't matter what the genre was. Does OOT seem pointless on 3DS cause its not top down or because I can play it in HD on dolphin? I know your not arguing the point but its just so dumb.

If that's their thinking its ridiculous. Why would I want any game at that point on a handheld. If it can provide a fantastic "portable" experience it shouldn't matter what the genre was. Does OOT seem pointless on 3DS cause its not top down or because I can play it in HD on dolphin? I know your not arguing the point but its just so dumb.

Whenever reviewers/critics/forum punters bring up the "why portable" argument, I feel like it gets applied disproportionately to shooters. Maybe it's because they're viewed as more cinematic experiences, or maybe it's because the control schemes haven't really worked for shooters until the Vita. I feel like people don't bring this sort of thing up for, say, racing games or even RPGs.

Yea, but the point is what games aren't better on home consoles? They will always be able to do more, have better graphics and be bigger games. I just think it's a weak ass way to frame a review. Either you enjoy the game or you don't.

Yea, but the point is what games aren't better on home consoles? They will always be able to do more, have better graphics and be bigger games. I just think it's a weak ass way to frame a review. Either you enjoy the game or you don't.

Exactly. Just odd to focus on something like that, everyone I have recommended it to is loving it a lot. I was worried I was having some weird disconnect

Whenever reviewers/critics/forum punters bring up the "why portable" argument, I feel like it gets applied disproportionately to shooters. Maybe it's because they're viewed as more cinematic experiences, or maybe it's because the control schemes haven't really worked for shooters until the Vita. I feel like people don't bring this sort of thing up for, say, racing games or even RPGs.

I'd say that's a large part of it. It's not like there haven't been awesome multiplayer-enabled shooters in the past - the PSP had Fireteam Bravo, Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor: Heroes etc., DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters ... - and they've had very admirable control schemes (I know many folk who ended up switching to southpaw controls on PSP shooters and played like bosses with the analog nub offering more fluid reticule targeting), but in direct comparison, these journos make unfortunate but not invalid complaints when contrasting against the console counterparts.

Shits me no end, but nothing exists in a vacuum.

repeater

I feel like the bug where you get a lot of connection issues in MP if you've had the Vita in sleep mode with the game open (and its solution) should be in the OP, it keeps coming up on every single page of the thread (understandably).

Played a good few hours of MP tonight, saw some maps I hadn't played before. "Zenith" is absolutely beautiful, reminds me a bit of a grittier Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back. :)

calder

Picked up the game today, can't wait to play.

But damn, over a gig patch? Come on GG. Is there any way to download patches on my PC or PS3 or something? This will take over an hour over wifi. :\

Tygamr

Played a good few hours of MP tonight, saw some maps I hadn't played before. "Zenith" is absolutely beautiful, reminds me a bit of a grittier Cloud City in Empire Strikes Back. :)

Zenith is a cool looking map, but it's my least favorite map to play on.

Grisby

This is going to sound funny but though KZ2 is my favorite there are a lot of elements here that are better than any of the other games. I also completely agree about the swearing. It turned every character into a caricature.

The low reviews for this game are ridiculous. This is the best handheld title I have played on either my 3ds or Vita this whole year. The MP is so addicting and polished in a way I never expected from a handheld. Edge in particular really annoyed me with "It's the best a handheld FPS could ever be but do we even want it?" What does that even mean?
Yeah, there are some really smart bits here. The different armor abilities and the loads of different weapons with secondary characteristics (i.e explosive bullets). Multiple contracts for added level re-playability and an MP component that has some smooth ass net code.

Yeah, reviews can be a weird thing. That Edge quote is pretty dumb.

Iacobellis

I've only played the first mission but I died like 20 times at the end on Veteran. That final "encounter" was rough. :(

On another note I agree that the reviews are ridiculously harsh. This game is awesome.

Yep.
Killing Benoit was a pain in the ass, especially with the other soldiers constantly flying in. I ended up using a couple flashes to down him, then stabbing him in the back.

What I'm loving so far about the campaign is its far less "bro" than the Killzone series is traditionally known as.

You're just a merc, you have your missions, the backdrops for the missions go a bit into the history of the conflict.

It's stuff like this that the Killzone series has sorely been missing all along.

Luckily I think Killzone: Shadow Fall and Mercenary are taking the series in a similar direction.

Hoping to be this pleasantly surprised for Shadow Fall's campaign.

nampad

I was very outspoken against the bad reviews and after reading the impressions in this thread, I really feel validated. Most of the people like this game.
Sure, there are some flaws, especially annoying bugs, but most of the bad reviews evolved around questionable or even wrong (ingame timer vs. real playtime bug, although playtime is admittably short overall) arguments.

I just hope consumers don't listen too much to this ridiculous reviews and buy this game.

Inlet is such a good map. I wish there was lobbies like Killzone 2 so I could keep playing it :( Oh well, I like all of the MP maps.

I don't like Inlet :/ Too open overall and everything is so trenchy so the movement is kinda limited. Although I have to say it is one of the maps were the sniper is actually useful.

wilflare

I'd just like to say there are few mobile experiences as satisfying as 5 finely-tuned sniper headshots in a row, in rapid succession. Waaaay better than growing flowers with streetpassers.

Shhh... You do not wish to anger the horde...

But indeed, KZ:M is a satisfying experience. I really hope Sony uses this engine should they really take up Levine's offer on Bioshock Infinite Vita (imagine System Shock 2 HD)

Iacobellis

Shhh... You do not wish to anger the horde...

But indeed, KZ:M is a satisfying experience. I really hope Sony uses this engine should they really take up Levine's offer on Bioshock Infinite Vita (imagine System Shock 2 HD)

I hope BL2 is using this engine.

No Love

Banned

Agreed. Reviewers for this game are so offkilter with their BS halfassed schtick! Hahaha typical gaming journalism... assign the score, then play the game for a day or two and write about it.

I hope people ignore the lazy writing and just buy this. Easily on par or better than most console shooters.

Random musing but I hope Borderlands 2 is a good port.

Huge huge late game, next to last mission spoilers.
I thought it was cool that you could interrogate Admiral Grey.

Wait
Arent you supposed to interrogate her?

Please tell me I'm not alone in wanting to see more of
Vyktor Kratek?1!

His design was so fucking boss!

Yes and more of Ivanov too, I also would have liked a boss battle with him, instead we got Benoit as a final boss :L

Iacobellis

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 3DSXL as much as the next guy . . . but it's my VITA I buy most games for, whereas the 3DS is essentially my streetpass meta game machine ;)

Same. My 3DS XL is pretty much an Animal Crossing machine right now. Vita gets most of my love.

What I'm loving so far about the campaign is its far less "bro" than the Killzone series is traditionally known as.

You're just a merc, you have your missions, the backdrops for the missions go a bit into the history of the conflict.

It's stuff like this that the Killzone series has sorely been missing all along.

Luckily I think Killzone: Shadow Fall and Mercenary are taking the series in a similar direction.

Hoping to be this pleasantly surprised for Shadow Fall's campaign.

Agree

OmegaZero

Random musing but I hope Borderlands 2 is a good port.

Huge huge late game, next to last mission spoilers.
I thought it was cool that you could interrogate Admiral Grey.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too.
Regarding Borderlands 2 Vita, all I know is that it's being ported by Iron Galaxy Studios.
No idea how well their other ports have turned out.

wilflare

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 3DSXL as much as the next guy . . . but it's my VITA I buy most games for, whereas the 3DS is essentially my streetpass meta game machine ;)

Don't worry, we are on the same team! I'm done with most of the Streetpass for now (kinda grew weary of them) haha. I love my Vita (it's taking up a lot of my gaming budget)

Shrewder

Neo Member
Did the campaign feel short to anyone else? I understand CG added those side missions for extra replay value, but Veteran difficulty felt like a breeze to me.

God bless you guys for playing on Veteran. I'm playing on Trooper and I had a hard time finishing the "Lightning Strike" mission. I'm awful on intel hacking. I get close on the third round, but just miss it.

bLaiSe

God bless you guys for playing on Veteran. I'm playing on Trooper and I had a hard time finishing the "Lightning Strike" mission. I'm awful on intel hacking. I get close on the third round, but just miss it.
If you can't hack them and tired of trying just press the PS button and cheat a little. ;)

wilflare

I'm loving this game :D
I need to put it down so I can finish my assignments but dang, wasting the precious hours of my bonus cash and bonus exp DLC

I was having a miserable time with the hacking till I figured out you don't have to clear each square individually. You can just pick a triangle pattern on the side and clear all of that one particular set across the board. Maybe you already knew that but that's what was holding me up.

Cha

Every time (except once) I'm the host, but no one ends up joining the room.
Is multiplayer region based or something, because the one time that I joined a public match it seemed to only have local people in it.
If friends are online I can join their games pretty easily. No problems, no matter where they're from.
I was able to find people and join matches much faster in the beta.

These issues are not as bad as not being able to find a match at all, but just wanted to list what I'm experiencing to see if anyone has had a similar experience. It kinda restricts when and who I play against.

anddo0

If you can't hack them and tired of trying just press the PS button and cheat a little. ;)

wait what?

I was having a miserable time with the hacking till I figured out you don't have to clear each square individually. You can just pick a triangle pattern on the side and clear all of that one particular set across the board. Maybe you already knew that but that's what was holding me up.

News to me. Will try.

I'm currently playing the sub missions (precision, demo and stealth)

FireCloud

I'd just like to say there are few mobile experiences as satisfying as 5 finely-tuned sniper headshots in a row, in rapid succession. Waaaay better than growing flowers with streetpassers.

This quote should be on the back of the box.

Loving what little of Mercenary I've had a chance to play so far. Much respect for what Guerrilla Cambridge was able to achieve... and my expectations for what the Vita is capable of has been raised several notches.

Hope Bend are able to achieve something similar with the next portable Uncharted now that they are not up against a launch window.

anddo0

If you press the PS button the game pauses and you can still see the hacking minigame. It's a little pixelated but when one of the first minigames held me up for too long I solved it that way.

Thanks. It makes things much easier. I skipped all the of the intel terminals because I found hacking too trivial.

AGoodODST

Impressions in here sold me on the game. Was planning on picking up a Vita this month anyway, so opted for the Killzone bundle.

Looking forward to trying it out (after downloading :( )

This quote should be on the back of the box.

Loving what little of Mercenary I've had a chance to play so far. Much respect for what Guerrilla Cambridge was able to achieve... and my expectations for what the Vita is capable of has been raised several notches.

Hope Bend are able to achieve something similar with the next portable Uncharted now that they are not up against a launch window.

Is there any hint or word on Bend's Vita project? I'd rather a Syphon Filter. Mmm. Vita Syphon Filter. KZM has set a high bar. Bend and RAD were gods on the PSP, so I'd love to see what they could do with the comfort of time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it is interesting the handheld game is the first one to show people actually living and behaving normally in Helghan. KZ2 really needed to show civilians being impacted by the ISA, especially since the game does have the "both sides suck" angle going for it.

Shrewder

Neo Member

Thanks for the tips. It is much appreciated.

Top Bottom