• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

sajj316

Killzone graphics make me hopeful in future Vita games from Sony first party. If they ever put a God of War on the Vita, it will be amazing. I like that Sony first part share tech and techniques!!

lemonade

purchased killzone: mercs launch day and haven't looked back since. is this game even possible on the wii? game looks outstanding!

Iacobellis

Did the campaign feel short to anyone else? I understand CG added those side missions for extra replay value, but Veteran difficulty felt like a breeze to me.

Did the campaign feel short to anyone else? I understand CG added those side missions for extra replay value, but Veteran difficulty felt like a breeze to me.

I did feel like the campaign ended abruptly. Its as if the last 2 missions should have been 1 combined mission, but were split up. If it had a closing mission, after where it had ended = perfection, as it is though, just a hair shy of.

I hope for additional DLC someday (or a sequel). I'd buy that instantly.

The game is rather phenomenal as a FPS (console or handheld), reminding me a bit of why I loved Goldeneye 007 N64 or Perfect Dark (big words, I know) back I the day. It's got an open needed nature, rewarding exploration and with the multiple side objectives that open up after, one could understand the comparison.

OmegaZero

Mission 3 precision contract question: where can I find a place to set a D-charge?
EDIT: oh, I think I know what to do now:
gotta shoot the d-charges placed by the enemy
EDIT2: Well that didn't work. :/
EDIT3: Okay, found out what you're supposed to do.

wilflare

Double tap the back or just tap circle button. You sure motion aiming is activated in the menu?

Hmm yea I'm sure I've activated it! Basically, I tilt my Vita and the sights follow it right? (Or am I doing it wrong?)

Ooops on the rearpad, I kept swiping it lol!

Vlodril

I have come to hate save points system more and more.. they so easily break and then you have to repeat the same shit over and over.. games need to move the fuck away from that system as fast as possible. Was just at the end of mission 5 game crashed now got to it all over again.. fuck that shit.

is there really no in mission autosave in this game? What a fucking pain. I made to the end of the first mission, but fucking ivanov bugged and wouldn't move. had to quit and now i restart from the beginning. Very annoying.

I am having major problems with multiplayer on my end. For some reason when starting a match my router light for wireless goes red and the game freezes as soon as a start a match. It's a shame because I was having a lot of fun with it when I did play.

sunnz

Yep, being host almost defiantly is a disadvantage, from my last few experiences as being it.

It seems every action in game is delayed for me (like I went to knife someone, I was stuck on the swipe down screen for like 10 seconds and then got the kill, plus many other times were I would get the kill like 3 or so seconds after I stopped shooting my gun at them...)

Just very buggy when you are host.

Not a fan of that auto lock on infantry RPG. Some of there decisions are.. questionable.

Still a lot of fun though.

aristotle

So amazon sent me a pre-order code for Blackjack's Briefcase (when I didn't even order it from them). First person to PM me and show me a photo of their vita and the game & receipt (that's not a pre-order) will get the code.

I hope this is ok. I don't want to shit up the thread.

Jerrod

Just started playing today. Still fun after having played the beta a bunch. Haven't started SP yet though.

Did they change the STA-52SE (or maybe I'm thinking of a different gun)? I thought it was burst fire in the beta like it was in the console Killzone games. It was the best weapon in the game but now it is full-auto and isn't any better than the M82.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Look at your radar. When the enemies are orange, they don't know you are there. When they are red, you have been caught.
Oh, I know that very well. That's not the issue.

It's their sensitivity that's difficult at times.

Jerrod

I recommend the Nyko grip because the Nyko has an additional battery in it so for a battery sucking game like Killzone you get a few extra hours playtime.
I just researched the Nyko Power Grip for Vita and I definitely want one now, however they seem to be really hard to find? Nobody sells them online unless it is Amazon 3rd party or Ebay and the prices are $60 or more (Nyko's own website says they are sold out). The closest Gamestop that has it is an hour away. Does anybody know anywhere else to get this?

The_Monk

So amazon sent me a pre-order code for Blackjack's Briefcase (when I didn't even order it from them). First person to PM me and show me a photo of their vita and the game & receipt (that's not a pre-order) will get the code.

I hope this is ok. I don't want to shit up the thread.

I decided to send my picture from the Pick-up Thread fellow GAFfer, might be late, not sure if it is enough but sent either way.

I pre-ordered and didn't even got a single DLC from it, ugh...

I have come to hate save points system more and more.. they so easily break and then you have to repeat the same shit over and over.. games need to move the fuck away from that system as fast as possible. Was just at the end of mission 5 game crashed now got to it all over again.. fuck that shit.
Yeah, same thing happened with Resistance Retribution. Only saved when you beat a entire mission. Only checkpoints were saved during gameplay.

It's bizarre for a 2013 game.

Look at your radar. When the enemies are orange, they don't know you are there. When they are red, you have been caught.

There's a weird third state, though--sometimes an enemy will see something but not know what it is. Their arrow will turn red, as if they'd spotted you, but they only come over to investigate instead of turning completely hostile. You can still melee the guy if you're quick and keep your stealth bonus. The only way to really tell is to listen to what each enemy says--there's a marked difference between "I thought I saw someone" and "Intruder!" followed by bullets.

I know this is a minor detail but I'm glad they've toned back the swearing to next to nothing. I love Killzone 2 but the language in that game was excessive to the point of it being dumb.

Yes. Though Killzone: Mercenary now has a different problem: all the dialogue constantly reminds you you're a mercenary. "Welp, gettin' paid is gettin' paid, right my mercenary friend who's only in it for the big payday? Time to do our job and case our cheques because all we care about is money! Okay, let's take these guys out--I'll hit the left, you hit the right, and then we can roll in all the money we're about to make!" I get it, you guys, YOU LOVE GETTING MONEY FOR DOING MERCENARY-TYPE THINGS.

repeater

Do you have to do anything in particular to activate the 2x XP (=cash) bonus in multiplayer from Blackjack's pre-order bonus? I typed in the download code in the PSN store on the Vita, and downloaded a little patch which I applied to the KZ:M bubble. I did get a large batch of money in-game, but as far as I can tell, I'm still getting regular XP from all my actions in MP. Anyone got any ideas?

Beat the game in 2 hours and 51 minutes according to the in-game timer on Veteran.

On that note, Veteran was really easy compared to other Killzone games, or hell, games in general.

Vlodril

Beat the game in 2 hours and 51 minutes according to the in-game timer on Veteran.

On that note, Veteran was really easy compared to other Killzone games, or hell, games in general.

I think there is something wrong with the clock. it says i have played 2 hours and 30 minutes but i am pretty sure i ve done 4 hours at least so far.

OmegaZero

I don't suppose anyone has a spare M224-A1 pre-order code that they'd be willing to trade for a Blackjack's Briefcase code? :<
I don't buy from Gamestop, but I don't really need the Blackjack's Briefcase code either.

SxP

Yay! Got Killing Machine just now. Managed to get up to 19 kills without dying and only got stopped by the match being over.

hohoXD123

Awesome game, though I'm sucking so badly in multiplayer, someone always manages to creep up on me. Does anyone have links to any thumb grips for the vita? My only gripe with the controls is the thumbsticks

beast786

Awesome game, though I'm sucking so badly in multiplayer, someone always manages to creep up on me. Does anyone have links to any thumb grips for the vita? My only gripe with the controls is the thumbsticks

Seriously , use headphones, you will actually hear footstep .

Finished 3rd mission...

Ranking time? Ranking time....

1. Killzone 2
2. Killzone Mercenary
3. Killzone 3
4. Killzone Liberation
5. Killzone

While I didn't get around to playing KZ3, I'd have to put KZL up higher. Phenomenal multi and great co-op. The portable games are just insanely good.

Tygamr

Just finished the campaign. Great ride. Kind of wish that Danner spent more time working for the Helghast.
I didn't expect there to be a fourth party involved- Black Jack
. I wish that the campaign had been a little longer- it was really good for a FPS. My clock says I played for 3 hours 47 minutes, which is less time than I did actually spend playing, but the time would be smaller if I hadn't replayed a few of the missions to show the game off. Game wasn't very hard on Veteran at all.

Wonder if they'll release any DLC?

wow, just started, but this game is absolutely fantastic visually. In fact, it impresses me as much as the KZ games on PS3. To me it is much more impressive than say Uncharted GA was. Not a fan of the brutal kills really, it is a bit too much, but the game is quite the feat...

ckohler

Jumping between Killzone 2 and this game I'm definitely noticing that Mercenaries is a much more forgiving game. I get the feeling that they made the aiming a bit more automatic in Mercenaries since its a handheld game because I get head shots all the time. Either that or the analog controls on the Vita are better than the Dualshock 3... which is possible now that I think about it! lol

Enjoying both games, actually.

Thanks for reminding me. Gonna do this as well.

It changes up the pace quite nicely. I'm making another run in STALKER Misery on PC at the moment, so there's a nice parallel to a 'clean screen'.

Plus, more room to ogle the frankly amazing visual design. What a game. WHAT A GAME.

EDIT: All I really need now is a Killzone Metal Gear ACID-like game. Give me a Killzone tactical TBS on Vita.

I agree on this. The story overall was better than the mainline killzones.

This is going to sound funny but though KZ2 is my favorite there are a lot of elements here that are better than any of the other games. I also completely agree about the swearing. It turned every character into a caricature.

The low reviews for this game are ridiculous. This is the best handheld title I have played on either my 3ds or Vita this whole year. The MP is so addicting and polished in a way I never expected from a handheld. Edge in particular really annoyed me with "It's the best a handheld FPS could ever be but do we even want it?" What does that even mean?

Top Bottom