• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

lord pie

Guys, is it possible to carry 4 grenades? When I have grenades equipped, the grenade icon always shows 2/4 slots filled. There isn't any option to buy more grenades or increase the amount you can carry in Blackjacks shop, but if you can only carry 2, then why are there additional slots? I can't figure this out.

Not related:

Supply armour doubles your grenade count

Second day in a row im getting error messages when i try and go online. It says an internal error has occured. It says something else right before but it only shows up for a millisecond.
I tried a theory and closed the game and restarted it and it works now. Why it worked idk.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Second day in a row im getting error messages when i try and go online. It says an internal error has occured. It says something else right before but it only shows up for a millisecond.

Have you tried completely rebooting the game (swiping closed and then relaunching from the bubble)?

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Yea i did right after i wrote the post and it worked, odd.

I'm finding that if the vita goes to sleep with the game open (minimized or otherwise) I have difficulties connecting. But a quick reload of the game does the trick.

Game is so good. Enjoying both single player and multi so keep jumping between the two!

SappYoda

Aaannd Beaten.

Man this game really is awesome. Multiplayer rocks and Single Player only gets better and better. The campaign sightly reminded me of the Last of Us on how wide are the levels and all the different ways you have to complete the objective. I have to try the additional mission to see how much the game changes.

Helghast mission is the best one by a mile. I had so much fun. It's exactly what I wanted from this game. For Helghan!! Die ISA Scum!!

Multiplayer rocks too. If only it didn't have so many problems connecting to the servers. Also I think they should allow people to change teams. At least when the other team has less players.
And party match should allow us to play on public servers with your friends on your team.

Conclusion: Awesome game.

I wonder what Guerrilla Cambridge are working on right now...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Amazon sent me another code for the BlackJack Briefcase Pre-Order Bonus for some reason. First to quote gets it

I really like this game. I wasn't that interested in it but I found a deal on it so I picked it up and I'm really glad I did. The single player is great, amazing graphics and lots of replay value. And I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. I was ready to ditch the series after 3 but I'm glad I didn't.

Adahn

Beat the game on Vet.

I thought it was good, not great. The graphics are the best thing it has going for it. The AI is also surprisingly better than most console games. It had some annoyances like the hacking. I didn't even bother with the intel terminals. And I hate that it was forced on you late game. The boss fight was also tired and cliche.
"I'm going to handle this myself", he then calls in wave after wave of mercs to help him... whatever happened to one on one boss fights? And was Benoit injected with some kind of super human drug? I thought that was just stupid. Shoot him down, shoot the fuel rod once, end boss fight with QTE. Instead they pull that bull shit.

Regarding the boss fight,
there is an intel that helps explain his toughness a little. I felt the fight could have been designed a little better, but unless I want something out of it I explosive spam him now

nowai

I'm getting really sick of my partner NPC alerting the enemies!

I'll be doing an awesome stealth sequence when out of no where the enemies are aggroed thanks to the moron NPC that I don't even want in this buddy cop feature. /rant

Fusebox

Banned
oh, and highly recommend the Vita Assist Grip to go with this game, makes using the sticks much smoother without having to make "the claw" with your fingers as it turns the vita into a big Dualshock :D

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

I recommend the Nyko grip because the Nyko has an additional battery in it so for a battery sucking game like Killzone you get a few extra hours playtime.

yeah, this game is good, and I don't really like FPS like that. The single player just keeps getting better and the multiplayer is great(even though I feel like you die too fast). I'm at the part where
you switch sides and fight for the helghast :)

cant wait for shadowfall

Fusebox

Banned
Everyone knows they don't need to 1:1 swipe for melee attacks yeah? Just doing a small version of the gesture in the bottom right of screen is usually a more comfortable way to do it.

Oh man, I was doing a Convert contract for the Diplomatic mission and was doing so well, got all sub-objectives down and at 80% of the way, the game decides to error up D':

I'd be pissed but the game is so good, I'd gladly do it again....still sucks though.

Massa

should I go digital for this or?
hmm. does the digital $35.99 price come with any DLC? is that price time-limited?

Comes with the double xp pack if you buy it before the next store update.

I think it's definitely worth going digital but that's because I know I'll be playing the multiplayer for a long time.

wilflare

Comes with the double xp pack if you buy it before the next store update.

I think it's definitely worth going digital but that's because I know I'll be playing the multiplayer for a long time.

hmm. does the double XP pack last for a limited time?
Gamestop has a Buy One Get One 50% Off for Vita games (and well other games)
so KZ:M is effectively $30 if you share with someone

DirtyLarry

Well I did go to Gamestop at lunch and picked up the PDP (i think that was the brand) grip, and I am returning it on Monday. I just did not like the grip actually. I felt like accessing the rear touch panel, which tonight I did a lot of as I picked up one of the sniper rifles, really was not comfortable at all. I also felt like I had to really press incredibly hard on the triggers to get them to register. Perhaps it was this brand, so I may continue my search. But did not like this particular one at all. Was this one here. The PDP.

Now that I just completed Mission #9 of the SP, I honestly cannot believe how much I am enjoying playing the SP. It may be the first FPS I do play multiple times in a very, very long time. One and only reason is they really did keep the hardware it is being played on perfectly in mind. Which really should not be surprising whatsoever considering the incredibly high quality of everything else.

Now some people have complained about this fact, but I personally feel it makes complete sense that there are no actual real checkpoints in the missions. I think doing so made the game conducive to the pick up and play nature of a portable handheld. Forcing no mid mission saves means the player has to concentrate on each mission at a time. I just think it makes sense.

Damn this game is nothing short of brilliant.

Grisby

Just a few shots I took. The game is really impressive in scale and the native resolution does wonders. I can only imagine what Uncharted and Gravity Rush would have looked like with full resolution

You just round a corner and boom, just sit and stare.

anyone want a free Blackjack Briefcase code? i have an extra and i don't think i can use both codes to get twice the cash. (so if you already got it, don't bother)

first to PM me gets it. EDIT: taken. and apparently invalid for some reason. hopefully just a typo.

beast786

ALright just finished single player. love it. It was really unbelievable graphics for handheld . It seriously felt like killzone console experience . As usual killzone AI IS BEST in the business. I even liked the story. Played couple of MP . very nice

areal

Stunning pictures. I should buy this, but I can't decide between digital and physical. I'm also hooked on Spelunky.

demolitio

oh, and highly recommend the Vita Assist Grip to go with this game, makes using the sticks much smoother without having to make "the claw" with your fingers as it turns the vita into a big Dualshock :D

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I classify as someone who has big hands and the controls are great in this game, but the sticks are a little hard for me to get used since I have my hands cramping up on me after a few matches and the nerve damage doesn't help me either.

I'll look into the Nyko with the extra battery as well but one of these will definitely help me out. Thanks again!

Have I mentioned how much I love this game? Or how gorgeous it is? Or how every Vita owner should be required to buy this? Or how developers should use this game to learn from and realize how awesome it can be? Or how gorgeous it is? Oh, I already said that one but it deserves to be repeated.

ALright just finished single player. love it. It was really unbelievable graphics for handheld . It seriously felt like killzone console experience . As usual killzone AI IS BEST in the business. I even liked the story. Played couple of MP . very nice

The A.I is really fantastic, at least on Veteran. Funny to look back at people freaking out over the A.I in pre-release videos that were taken at trade shows or something. People saying how it looks terrible, etc, etc. As usual, the game comes out and proves most wrong. Amazing stuff Guerrilla Cambridge.

I know this is a minor detail but I'm glad they've toned back the swearing to next to nothing. I love Killzone 2 but the language in that game was excessive to the point of it being dumb.

Binabik15

I need some help beyond Google, please.

I have a Vita bought in Germany and live here, but my account is from the UK. Never had problems going into the store and DLing my Plus games or demos, though,

Now, however, I can't connect to PSN, or go to my account information or anything that I need to be connected for. I always get Error C1-12391-6. Can't sync tophies. Can't connect to servers with KZ:M. Maybe that is why I never got a Valour Card in the beta. I think I have the error or a long time now, but I hardly played on my Vita this year and never really treid online besides the store and now KZ/the beta, so I can't be sure.

BUT

My Vita goes online just fine, otherwise, I checked by browsing sites and googling names that I certainly have not cached. So the connection is there. I even could PLAY the KKZ beta, but my card never changed in the three days, though I unlocked guns and stuff that was there when I started the game app again.

Halp.

Edit: Can't check the connection on my PS3, since there's a potentially hung over brother in that room, but I usually have no problems connecting to PSN with the same account there and my Plus games work and transfered to my Vita just fine, even as I already couldn't connect during the beta.

PS: AgentOtaku, nicely done, how did you get the streak? I had a 11 or 12 streak in the beta, I was killing some people and then had something that could only be called blood bath with a Mantys Engine.

Jinjo

So I bought a Vita this week, not necessarily for this, but it was included and I have to say I am incredibly surprised. Game is incredible tight and between all the games I amassed already through Plus and crossbuy this takes the cake. Such a tight experience. I never really liked Killzone 3, but this stuff is good. So after seeing a few responses you guys are saying Killzone 2 is worth a try? What does it do better than Killzone 3 and maybe Mercenary?

As amazing as the graphics are, I just wish the game included some sort of Anisotropic filtering to keep the ground textures in the distance looking crisp. This seems to be an issue in many Vita games, including Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Resistance Burning Skies. Is 4X or 8X AF really that performance demanding?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the AI in this is really frustrating to deal with in a stealthy manner. It's extremely difficult to keep track of what they may or may not respond to.

I will admit, watching them closely, they actually behave in a surprisingly realistic fashion in that they react to things that you'd expect. This makes it tough to execute a stealth plan, though, as things don't always go exactly as you plan. For instance, I shot a sniper on the bridge in level two right at the beginning. One time, however, the physics caused him to fall over the railing which the other patrols immediately saw and reacted to. Dead bodies are really an issue.

The problem is that enemies react almost immediately any such stimuli rather than going into a search mode and there is no warning to the player when they've been caught. Really could have used something ala Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell Blacklist to indicate that you are being seen.

It's still rather addictive trying to finish the alternate mission objectives but they really can become frustrating due to this issue.

nampad

Man, the AI in this is really frustrating to deal with in a stealthy manner. It's extremely difficult to keep track of what they may or may not respond to.

I will admit, watching them closely, they actually behave in a surprisingly realistic fashion in that they react to things that you'd expect. This makes it tough to execute a stealth plan, though, as things don't always go exactly as you plan. For instance, I shot a sniper on the bridge in level two right at the beginning. One time, however, the physics caused him to fall over the railing which the other patrols immediately saw and reacted to. Dead bodies are really an issue.

The problem is that enemies react almost immediately any such stimuli rather than going into a search mode and there is no warning to the player when they've been caught. Really could have used something ala Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell Blacklist to indicate that you are being seen.

It's still rather addictive trying to finish the alternate mission objectives but they really can become frustrating due to this issue.

Look at your radar. When the enemies are orange, they don't know you are there. When they are red, you have been caught.

Top Bottom