• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

I have never heard anyone say the M82 was a bad gun until now. I've always found it to be a great gun; good hip fire for close-mid range and incredibly easy to get headshots with when ADS. And I've always seen people post nothing but praise for it online.

Yup and being able to roll with it as a Medic pretty much made it one of the best combos in any competitive MP shooter, ever.
So yeah, pretty bummed that GG would kill that configuration in future games T___T

Numbers of people playing online have been really high today.
Yep. Its a familiar feeling: nobody playing for the objectives, nobody reviving, and plenty of players running headlong into base turrets.

I figure it'll stay this way until the new wave of players figures out how best to spawn camp the other team.

Apeopleman

Yep. Its a familiar feeling: nobody playing for the objectives, nobody reviving, and plenty of players running headlong into base turrets.

I figure it'll stay this way until the new wave of players figures out how best to spawn camp the other team.

Pessimistic but realistic.

The people who are stubborn amd refuse to learn the mechanics will just get frustrated, quit and go back to COD

I just finished this game, god fucking damn I'm sick of internet whiners hating on the KZ franchise.
Is it fucking amazing as fuck? Nope! but it's pretty damn fun.

I'd say KZ2 is better - but not by huge amounts. The story in KZ SF is actually quite good, the graphics? At times are you know, quite nice looking, 1080p PS3 stuff, at other times they are holy.fucking.shit graphics.

The music is good, it's not amazing but it's pretty good - a bit repetitive but it can be ominous and opressing in the way they wanted, real kind of hopelessness to it at times.
The sound is frankly, fucking sick - I love good sound. I could play the game again just for the gun on the Owl, the audio when you've slowed down time with a stim pack? Love it. The audiologs out of the controller? Cool.

The gunplay, as per all Killzone games is solid solid solid. It's got 'meat' to it.
I found the game at times a little too easy due to the owl - othertimes a tiny bit too hard - but for the most part it was good (I played on hard, to deliberately get as much out of it as I can)

The ending was......... NOT what I was expecting,... I mean..... I don't know what I expected but not that. I like where they took it.
Some of the art design and concepts /literally/ had my jaw dropped. The scene where you're freefalling through the buildings is off hook and then the concepts on the subsequent level with the graviy wells? Holy shit did that look good and play well, that whole level really did amp up the feeling of the opening 5 minutes of Terminator 1.

I pretty much liked most of the game to be honest. When you consider this is a fucking LAUNCH game that's impressive. It wasn't like a 6 hour run, it didn't devolve into room after room after room of bad guys in a hallway because they ran out of time. The levels all felt pretty much cohesive and solid, fleshed out. There was literally one section about 40 minutes from the end for about 10 minutes where I thought "ok they got time restricted" - that's impressive.

I feel like this game got way too bad a rap from internet whiners who... well I don't know what they expect? Do they expect ALL movies to be a 10/10 Inception quality film? ALL TV shows must be at breaking bad levels? I don't get it. A game can still be a 6/10 or an 8/10 and be good, not everything can attain 10/10

I will re-play KZ:SF within the next 18 months, as I did with KZ2, I'd say that's a pretty good statement about it. I'm just exceptionally lucky that the one game I purchased a PS4 game for was included "free" in my bundle, awesome.

This man speaks the truth. It isn't GOTY material but its bloody good fun. I think its probably the best retail next generation launch exclusive (FM5 is probably better but I haven't played it and recing sims aren't my cup of tea) and also the best next generation FPS. I'll definitely replay it on hard in a few months.

wizzbang

Banned
I have never heard anyone say the M82 was a bad gun until now. I've always found it to be a great gun; good hip fire for close-mid range and incredibly easy to get headshots with when ADS. And I've always seen people post nothing but praise for it online.

Just to clarify here, I'm talking about the SP campaign, I don't play games online at all really. Maybe it's tweaked for MP

Can someone clear this up for me?
In the first chapter,
why are Lucas and his father running to the other side of vekta? Weren't the Helghats going to move them there anyway?

Can someone clear this up for me?
In the first chapter,
why are Lucas and his father running to the other side of vekta? Weren't the Helghats going to move them there anyway?

At the end of kz3, th VSA explodinated Helgan and wiped out most of the population. Vekta said the survivors could come live here and they would get half the planet. Well, the Helgans were still pretty pissesd, so they were killing Vektans on their half of the planet that didn't get out right away.

At the end of kz3, th VSA explodinated Helgan and wiped out most of the population. Vekta said the survivors could come live here and they would get half the planet. Well, the Helgans were still pretty pissesd, so they were killing Vektans on their half of the planet that didn't get out right away.

Why didn't they get out right away?

Why didn't they get out right away?

The impression I got was that they didn't really believe the Vektan government would actually go through with it. I'm assuming Lucas' dad thought that no one would go along with the plan and they'd be able to keep their home.

By the time he realized that wasn't the case, it was too late to leave safely.

Finished the SP portion of the game last night, and I won't play MP much so I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the game. I think the best word I can use to describe KZ:SF is "uneven".

+ Graphics are great, very nice, like a high-end PC game.
+ Controls well
+ Good gunplay for the most part
+ A few good levels

And now for the bad:

- Forgettable music
- Lame, nonsensical story (but really, most FPS suffer from this)
- Zero-G levels annoying and not much fun
- OWL disabled in some sections just so you won't break the script. Lazy.
- Freefall and Wingsuit sections are total shit. I was so annoyed with this because not only are they trial-and-error the first time and not fun, but it's one of these situations where I feel like the dev is trying to give me something I didn't sign-up for when I bought their FPS game. I would slap the guy who decided to put these in the game as-is across the face.
- Toward the end, one crap section of the game relies on monster closets where the enemies spawn forever until you complete a certain task. The Helghast will literally appear out of thin air right in front of the player. Lame.
- Ending stinks in general but last level is essentially a stealth level which is unwelcome.

MAX PAYMENT

Finished the SP portion of the game last night, and I won't play MP much so I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the game. I think the best word I can use to describe KZ:SF is "uneven".

+ Graphics are great, very nice, like a high-end PC game.
+ Controls well
+ Good gunplay for the most part
+ A few good levels

And now for the bad:

- Forgettable music
- Lame, nonsensical story (but really, most FPS suffer from this)
- Zero-G levels annoying and not much fun
- OWL disabled in some sections just so you won't break the script. Lazy.
- Freefall and Wingsuit sections are total shit. I was so annoyed with this because not only are they trial-and-error the first time and not fun, but it's one of these situations where I feel like the dev is trying to give me something I didn't sign-up for when I bought their FPS game. I would slap the guy who decided to put these in the game as-is across the face.
- Toward the end, one crap section of the game relies on monster closets where the enemies spawn forever until you complete a certain task. The Helghast will literally appear out of thin air right in front of the player. Lame.
- Ending stinks in general but last level is essentially a stealth level which is unwelcome.

I'm on the fence. Buy it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not sure what the monster closet section is. I haven't noticed anything of sort. But I was really annoyed with end part of level 7 which was kind of this way, as you're expected to get into the turret, but is now patched to be easier at least. Music was awesome, but it was more 'proper electronic music' and less 'game music'. What they did was very much like Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory album and less typical soundtrack.

4lejandro

Not sure what the monster closet section is. I haven't noticed anything of sort. But I was really annoyed with end part of level 7 which was kind of this way, as you're expected to get into the turret, but is now patched to be easier at least. Music was awesome, but it was more 'proper electronic music' and less 'game music'. What they did was very much like Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory album and less typical soundtrack.

I think he's referring to the part when you are watching
Echo's
back and have to hack some doors right before (mild spoiler)
fighting Tyran
, the helghast just keep coming after you until you hack the doors, then immediately after you have to fight a couple of flying drones and hack a security terminal and your Owl keeps on getting slaughtered by the respawning enemies.

I for one, enjoyed the soundtrack immensely, and pretty much liked the game's campaign, from a gameplay stand point, then again I enjoyed KZ2 and 3 and LOVED KZ:M.

thenexus6

So a few weeks ago I got Killzone 2 for the first time, borrowing a PS3 after only having an xbox since 2004 so wanted to try out some exclusives. Got about an hour in, but got a PS4 and Shadowfall yesterday..

Is it still worth me playing 2 and getting 3 before playing the campaign on SF? I really can't be bothered..

I've had this game for a few days now. I ignored the sp campaign and jumped straight into the multi. Still experimenting with the classes, guns and learning the maps so I'm sucking pretty hard right now, but I'm having a lot of fun.

After a few nights with it I really don't understand the lousy reviews it got. The multiplayer is excellent and IMO much better than most of the other popular FPS offerings. The shooting, controls and gunplay feels great, hit detection is crisp and maps are pretty good. My opinion may change later but it seems to be very well balanced.

Maybe playing the SP (don't know if I will ever bother) will bring down the game a few notches, but the MP makes the game a solid 8/10 imo.

No, not that bad. It's the best of the next gen shooters right now, for what that's worth. BF4, when working correctly, has the best mp, and KZ:SF is a close second.
I'd still put Killzone ahead of BF4 but then I dislike BF4's emphasis on vehicles and its over reliance upon teamwork while being weighed down by an obtuse squad system. For objective based infantry combat KZ is the real deal.

The single player is also good, but its not KZ2. Its smaller in scale, and quieter and pushes stealth more as an option. People who expect full-tilt combat at all times will be (and have been) disappointed.

I'm on the fence. Buy it?

If you enjoy console FPS's and want a game to really show off what the PS4 can do then I would still say buy it, but buy retail so you can sell/trade it in.

I think he's referring to the part when you are watching
Echo's
back and have to hack some doors right before (mild spoiler)
fighting Tyran
, the helghast just keep coming after you until you hack the doors, then immediately after you have to fight a couple of flying drones and hack a security terminal and your Owl keeps on getting slaughtered by the respawning enemies.

Yes, this is the BS section I was referring to. There are two monster closets and if you play too well and kill the Helghast as they come out of the door so your OWL will have time to work, new enemies will simply materialize in their place. It's just lazy design. There should be a small hallway with a bend around it so the new enemies spawn in out of sight and then run around the corner. If you don't want the player to blow them up immediately, then put a energy screen on the door or something. That section is annoying enough as it is, I don't need to be enraged by the game appearing to "cheat" because I kill the enemies too quickly.

EDIT - And another thing. Does this game have the most useless RPG in FPS history? First of all, it can only be fired by using the scope, and raising it to your eye takes forever. Reloading it is slow as hell too, and even when you hit the enemy with it, it doesn't seem to pack much of a punch. I came to the conclusion that it was pretty much worthless.

Reviews focused on SP.

That seems to be what happened.

What I don't understand is why reviewers only ever do this for Killzone. Games like Battlefield and COD have utter trash, throwaway sp campaigns but the reviews don't base their reviews entirely on the sp because they are known as multiplayer games. Can you imagine what BF3's score would be if reviewers only focused on the sp? Why only review Killzone in this manner and not other shooters?

Robot Pants

What I don't understand is why reviewers only ever do this for Killzone. Games like Battlefield and COD have utter trash, throwaway sp campaigns but the reviews don't base their reviews entirely on the sp because they are known as multiplayer games. Can you imagine what BF3's score would be if reviewers only focused on the sp? Why only review Killzone in this manner and not other shooters?
CuZ games journalism is a joke

Shadowfall didn't deliver graphics and art top quality both but the whole campaign isn't good compared to the others. Kellan in first person was a bad idea and having just him the whole time with a disengaged character to buy into... was difficult to buy into his character. His character needing development but didn't get any. Voice acting was ok but there was a squad with you the entire previous games. Has to be top notch going solo and those hide n seek missions with Echo got tiring after the first time. They said more insight about Helghast but getting captured and escaping isn't best way of doing that IMO. Music was terrible had some good portions but it was different.. Ok but has to be good whole campaign. Guns needed to be more distinct some of them are similar to each other. They took out vehicles.. Why? Big moments in previous games had vehicles involved. Game difficulty was too easy especially with OWL doing the dirty work. I hope the sequel is kz2 quality.

Some shooters are known more for their single player than their multiplayer. Killzone is one of those so reviews will lean more on that side of things. Its the opposite for Battlefield and the more recent CODs.

I finished the SP and I liked it overall. The graphics are amazing, sound is good, and there are some good levels. There are also some terrible, dull or irritating levels. The wing suit and zero g parts are trash. The story is whatever. I do think that Echo is an interesting character and the game should have been built around her since they wanted to go this lone soldier route anyway.

I'm still playing MP and I think it's pretty good, though I prefer BF4.

BadAss2961

Some shooters are known more for their single player than their multiplayer. Killzone is one of those so reviews will lean more on that side of things. Its the opposite for Battlefield and the more recent CODs.
While this is true to an extent, it shows how unprofessional and inaccurate reviewers are.

Even here, I see plenty of people judge the campaign and walk away from Killzone telling everyone it sucks without even getting into the multiplayer. Shouldn't expect that from reviews.

It is true that there are some shooters where the MP is just tacked on as an afterthought and the core and focus of the game is the SP campaign. But KZ is definitely not one of those, even if a lot of people (incorrectly) see it that way.

Not saying that your post is wrong (in fact you're probably dead-on, most people probably do incorrectly see KZ as a sp-based shooter). Just saying that those who categorize it as such are wrong.

To me (and I'm guessing to most fans of the series as well) the meat of the game has always been the MP.

Damn. That bad?
I'd advice otherwise. But i liked the game and most of the levels people seem to have problems with.
It's not perfect though.

The game gets an unfair beating compared to the other shooters. It has become mass hysteria but slowly you see more people thinking for themselves and actually liking most parts of the game.

Arklite

I do think that Echo is an interesting character and the game should have been built around her since they wanted to go this lone soldier route anyway.

Unfortunately even the light stealth elements with Kellan have annoyed some people already. Echo's focus on stealth assassination is probably not the right note for Killzone FPS expectations. I would've liked a few more levels like the very final stealth run, but it would've wrecked the pacing for others.

To me (and I'm guessing to most fans of the series as well) the meat of the game has always been the MP.
I'm going to disagree with the word "most" there but I have no way to know one way or another*. Just seems like most multiplayer-only players usually think thats the case.

But I'm with you in thinking that all of a game's modes should be thoroughly examined and scored in reviews regardless.

* Edit: Actually, looking at trophy rarities for KZ2 makes the multiplayer look like a wasteland. Almost every multiplayer trophy has a less than 1% unlock percentage.

4lejandro

If you enjoy console FPS's and want a game to really show off what the PS4 can do then I would still say buy it, but buy retail so you can sell/trade it in.

Yes, this is the BS section I was referring to. There are two monster closets and if you play too well and kill the Helghast as they come out of the door so your OWL will have time to work, new enemies will simply materialize in their place. It's just lazy design. There should be a small hallway with a bend around it so the new enemies spawn in out of sight and then run around the corner. If you don't want the player to blow them up immediately, then put a energy screen on the door or something. That section is annoying enough as it is, I don't need to be enraged by the game appearing to "cheat" because I kill the enemies too quickly.

EDIT - And another thing. Does this game have the most useless RPG in FPS history? First of all, it can only be fired by using the scope, and raising it to your eye takes forever. Reloading it is slow as hell too, and even when you hit the enemy with it, it doesn't seem to pack much of a punch. I came to the conclusion that it was pretty much worthless.

Yeah I spent quite a bit on this section but managed by killing the drones first with 2 shots of the rail gun's long shot, before proceeding to the security terminal and then taking care of the rest by a mix of run and gun, owl stunning and a few well placed mines, in the end it felt like a mix of luck and me getting better at it so I was not too enraged of anything.

I think my main weapon for like 90% of the game was the Pulver (I really liked the air like sound it made after shooting and the rate of fire hehe) but I find myself sticking to "regular" weapons on most FPS (carbines and stuff), the unique weapons in kz2 were a lot of fun though.

Footos22

What fucking WORLD AM I IN?
The gun sounds like utter garbage shit in KZ2 and it's weak as motherfucking piss in KZ2, mildly better in 3, mildly. It's SO god awful bad, it's Quake 2 blaster bad. It's an awful awful gun. The SMG in KZ2 is a real gun, good lord is the M82 is a piece of rubbish.

M82 in mercenary is God tier. Needs nerfing although I seem to be the only one using it online lol

WRONG! Soundtrack is the best I've heard in a FPS this side of Halo. Opinions and all but seriously no.

Well, I did not say the music was bad, just that it was forgettable. After playing through the whole SP campaign, the only music that I can even remember is that bit during the ending cinematic, and that's simply because it was a little strange and unexpected.

Just thinking about FPS music, there are actually very few games where the melodies have stuck with me: Halo, Doom, Wolfenstein 3-D (Original), Medal of Honor (WW2)...uh. That's about all I can remember, and I've played a ton of FPS.

leng jai

I have to agree about the OST being forgettable. I can barely remember any of it and the only part that stood out was the wildly out of place piece during the chapter 8 defend phase.

ZehDon

I tend to agree. I finished the game two days ago, and I couldn't even describe the music in the game to anyone who asked. It was inoffensive, but utterly forgettable. Not that the game was bad overall - I actually thoroughly enjoyed it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so i guess i didnt get a trophy because i accidentally killed one of the npcs in the new helgan slums. do i have to replay the enter game again just to get this? stupid game...crosshair turned green so i thought it wouldn't active melee lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought the soundtrack was awesome in the context of the game. I doubt it would hold up well on it's own but it fit the setting quite well. The little Blade Runner-esque tune when flying into Vekta City in Chapter 4 is lovely.

so i guess i didnt get a trophy because i accidentally killed one of the npcs in the new helgan slums. do i have to replay the enter game again just to get this? stupid game...crosshair turned green so i thought it wouldn't active melee lol
Same thing happened to me. Just replay that section again, no need to even play the entire chapter. Just make sure you finish the whole section.

Well, I did not say the music was bad, just that it was forgettable. After playing through the whole SP campaign, the only music that I can even remember is that bit during the ending cinematic, and that's simply because it was a little strange and unexpected.

Just thinking about FPS music, there are actually very few games where the melodies have stuck with me: Halo, Doom, Wolfenstein 3-D (Original), Medal of Honor (WW2)...uh. That's about all I can remember, and I've played a ton of FPS.

The music you hear during the credits is the same music as the Ballet of Death Killzone 2 trailer . I did some Googling and discovered the song is titled "The Flower Duet" from the French opera "Lakmé" by Léo Delibes.

Koyuga

Chapter 3 tricked me into thinking the game was going to go in a very different direction and left me kind of disappointed.
Still love it because of the atmosphere though, wish there were more sections like that.

wizzbang

Banned
I thought the soundtrack was awesome! Loads of varied sounds with some very Vangelis sounding bits. OST actually took me by surprise.

Agreed, I specifically tweeted the music guys because I was so impressed by it's ominous and oppressive tones.

Top Bottom