• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Ugh people keep talking about how good C&G Live is and I can hardly catch it :/

Just watched Kinda Funny Live earlier today and it was amazing!

I've started watching C&G Live at the end of the day as I'm crawling into bed. It's a great and funny way to wind down after a long day.

It's also way better now that the Twitch app let's you view past broadcasts, so I can watch it on my phone or ipad

sora87

Kinda Funny Live was just incredible, it's been wonderful watching it grow over the first half of the year and seeing them do that.

MattyG

Banned
I'm watching Kinda Funny Live right now.

giphy.gif

I'm glad I have a face to put to Sean Pitts when they talk about him. He's actually really funny, and his Walken voice is great too. "It's fine. Maybe after this we can go get some hookers and some booger sugar".

Edit: Woot, GAF getting that shout out from Colin!

Nick had to have gotten into some kinda trouble with his wife for that comment he made lol.

I've started watching C&G Live at the end of the day as I'm crawling into bed. It's a great and funny way to wind down after a long day.

It's also way better now that the Twitch app let's you view past broadcasts, so I can watch it on my phone or ipad

Hmm maybe I should consider doing that

Choomp

Banned
Sean Pitts is a cool guy. I'm convinced that's what happens when you morph Nick Scarpino and Tim Gettys into one person. Superfan!

MattyG

Banned
Just went into the Kinda Funny forums for the first time. It's nice that they have it, but it feels very difficult to navigate and kind of cluttered. I trust that it's a work in progress though.

Someone should make a thread for this thread or something along those lines. I don't know if that's allowed, but there seem to be quite a few Gaffers in there that don't post in here. The more people we have participating in here, the better.

N° 2048

Just went into the Kinda Funny forums for the first time. It's nice that they have it, but it feels very difficult to navigate and kind of cluttered. I trust that it's a work in progress though.

Someone should make a thread for this thread or something along those lines. I don't know if that's allowed, but there seem to be quite a few Gaffers in there that don't post in here. The more people we have participating in here, the better.

Horrible mess, indeed. It looks like a basic free template on a basic free forum software. My last post about the forums:

Honestly their forums are unusable. Last time I checked it's impossible to keep up with quotes, subscriptions (the 'first unread post' button is on the first page of a thread lol).

Plus with titles like "What are U guyz playing?!", it's a turn off.

I'm watching the Momocon stream right now. Colin's so funny. He just said he knows Zelda for Wii U will of course be a great game, but this is the same guy who passionately hates Twilight Princess and didn't give Skyward Sword a proper shot, and has been bringing that up a lot lately.

Confession time: I've never beat a Zelda game

Played 5 hours of Ocarina of Time, 2 hours of Link Between Worlds on my 3DS and about 10 hours of Windwaker on my Wii U.

That's the extent of my Zelda experience

Played 5 hours of Ocarina of Time, 2 hours of Link Between Worlds on my 3DS and about 10 hours of Windwaker on my Wii U.

No worries. The only one I've played through to the end is Twilight Princess, though I've seen half a dozen walkthroughs and speed runs of the rest of them. That's what I get for the Wii being my first Nintendo console.

MattyG

Banned

Ahh, you're missing out. Besides Fallout, Zelda may be my favorite series. So far, I've finished Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Windwaker, Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess. Can't wait for Zelda U, it looks like it'll be fantastic.

Ahh, you're missing out. Besides Fallout, Zelda may be my favorite series. So far, I've finished Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Windwaker, Minish Cap, and Twilight Princess. Can't wait for Zelda U, it looks like it'll be fantastic.

I keep trying to get into them. I own Ocarina and Majoras on my N64, ALBTW and Ocarina on my 3DS, and Wind Waker HD.

I actually was super into Wind Waker but I think another game came out and distracted me and now I'm having trouble going back.

I do plan on picking up Majoras Mask for 3DS later this year

Horrible mess, indeed. It looks like a basic free template on a basic free forum software. My last post about the forums:

It looks like it's still evolving. The main page seems a little more cluttered than it was before. It now shows mods. But to be fair, it is just one guy working on it and it takes time for things to shape up. You don't become NeoGAF overnight.

Mezoly

Just finished kinda funny live, they really did go all in. The ending credit had me rolling.

I actually never played a Zelda game in my life or owned a Nintendo device they were not available where I grow up.

My biggest peeve with the forums is the number of posts in each thread is low before a new page is needed.

Karu

The Dave Fennoy-intro at KFL was hype as fuck holy shit! "... and the MOTHER-FUCKING JOKER!" sogood.gif

@Zelda More of a handheld-fan, honestly, specifically Link's Awakening (the goat), both Oracle-games and The Minish Cap. Other than that, also played Spirit Tracks, which I think is competent, but garbage. :p

On consoles I dipped my toes into Ocarina, played a lot of Wind Waker (to this day, I haven't beaten the 20 minute Triforce hunt. Worst quest in any game at any time of alltime. What the actual fuck where they thinking?!) - liked it a lot! - and started Twilight Princess, but omg, it's ugly as fucking hell. Stopped playing at the "monkey?)-temple after leaving the piss-pour tutorial.

Ah and played a bit of Link to the Past of course.

Zelda's your favourite franchise and you haven't finished A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, or the Oracle games? The hell!?

Choomp

Banned
Does Colin actually think The Dark Knight Rises is that good? Pretty sure he's been joking the whole time but looking at what he says he doesn't actually give any hints to that.

Does Colin actually think The Dark Knight Rises is that good? Pretty sure he's been joking the whole time but looking at what he says he doesn't actually give any hints to that.

I always thought he was just fucking with Greg. Plus he gets to do a Bane voice for it.

MattyG

Banned
Zelda's your favourite franchise and you haven't finished A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, or the Oracle games? The hell!?
I've started them. Probably made it about halfway through all of them and then got distracted by new releases. That's something that happens a lot with me.

Man I've been at the bus stop for 90 minutes just waiting for my bus to get here and take me home so I can catch Colin and Greg live. Why the HELL is the bus I need the only one that takes so damn long to come around?? fml

Myggen

Their Splatoon Let's Play was too short to be of any interest to me.

That pretty much goes for any Let's Play they do of that length. It's rarely enough time for interesting discussions, and never enough time to show off the game in any meaningful way. It has made me skip more and more of those videos.

sora87

Their best LP's recently have been Ground Zeroes and The Witcher 3 as they went about 40 minutes and have a good look at the games while also being amusing.

That pretty much goes for any Let's Play they do of that length. It's rarely enough time for interesting discussions, and never enough time to show off the game in any meaningful way. It has made me skip more and more of those videos.

Why do they even bother making them that length too – I can't see any reason why they'd think hmmm, 15 mins of barely showing the intro...that's good enough.

Yeah, I'm so used to Giant Bomb's Quick Looks, which as you know, are not exactly quick anymore. I do still enjoy Kinda Funny's Let's Plays, but I much more enjoy the ones where they introduce to each other a game, like when they teach Nick older games. I loved the video (from all they way back to their first official week after announcing they left IGN) where Greg taught Colin and Tim Minecraft. I would love to see a continuation of that.

Myggen

Why do they even bother making them that length too – I can't see any reason why they'd think hmmm, 15 mins of barely showing the intro...that's good enough.

I'm sure the reasoning is Youtube data showing that short videos is what makes sense for views. That and being able to push out a lot of videos is why Game Grumps and other Let's Players still put out Let's Plays 10 minutes at a time. But yeah, I agree that the quality takes a hit with videos that are that short.

sora87

The one that truly made no sense is when they played Civ 5 for like 12 minutes... it sucked because Colin was really going in depth on the game and it would have been really fun to watch him play a lot longer :(

Is there a reason they chose to do them that short though?

I liked the Splatoon LP, but when Greg said "we got 7 minutes, get to shooting people" i'm sitting there like why

Overall I've liked the LPs for the most part, and was never really bothered by how they did them. That moment just stuck out to me for some reason.

The one that truly made no sense is when they played Civ 5 for like 12 minutes... it sucked because Colin was really going in depth on the game and it would have been really fun to watch him play a lot longer :(

I started a thread over at the Kinda Funny Forums where I suggested Colin start a show revolving around him playing Civilization V, while bringing perspective about how things in his playthrough compare and contrast to real history.

I'm sure the reasoning is Youtube data showing that short videos is what makes sense for views. That and being able to push out a lot of videos is why Game Grumps and other Let's Players still put out Let's Plays 10 minutes at a time. But yeah, I agree that the quality takes a hit with videos that are that short.

Heh yeah lol, what annoys me is that Let's Players upload like a 20 minute Witcher Let's Play but because there's so many cutscenes and dialogue there's only about 10 minutes of gameplay in them.

Myggen

Heh yeah lol, what annoys me is that Let's Players upload like a 20 minute Witcher Let's Play but because there's so many cutscenes and dialogue there's only about 10 minutes of gameplay in them.

Yeah. I'm sure most of the audience doesn't care much though, which is why I doubt they'll change it. It's business as usual for people who are used to watching Let's Plays on Youtube (one of the few bigger Let's Play channels that doesn't stick to short videos is the Super Best Friends channel, most others still do), and I'm sure a lot of people prefer the videos to be that short. The reason why I think it sucks is probably because I'm used to Giant Bomb's way of doing things, where "Quick Looks" of games regularly go 40 minutes-1 hour or more, which I generally prefer. Sub 20 minutes is fine for some games, but when you're doing it with something like Civ 5 I get nothing out of it.

sora87

I started a thread over at the Kinda Funny Forums where I suggested Colin start a show revolving around him playing Civilization V, while bringing perspective about how things in his playthrough compare and contrast to real history.

That would be awesome, the cool thing about these guys is they do listen and take on board what fans want so hopefully he'll see that and think on it

That would be awesome, the cool thing about these guys is they do listen and take on board what fans want so hopefully he'll see that and think on it

Yeah, and I suggested naming the show like a college course along the lines of Civilization V and History 101. Part of the suggestion had Colin taking on a fictional professor persona.

Edit- Whoa! Colin's rant at the Silent Hills rumor is crazy, considering only two major outlets really ran the rumor: Shacknews and.... IGN. The same IGN who said last year they had concrete confirmation that The Last of Us was cancelled just prior to E3. The same IGN that accused Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley of being tyrannical at Naughty Dog last year. I like IGN a lot, but there are times where I scratch my head and think "What are they doing!?"

Where's Colin's rant? I want to watch that

Colin and Greg Live (the link is in MattyG's post above yours). It's a pretty lengthy rant. Like I said, not many outlets even bothered covering the "rumor". Colin was very carefully not naming specific websites as part of his rant. But really only two major sites carried the story: Shacknews and IGN. So make of that what you will.

Top Bottom