• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

For those who haven't watched Colin and Greg Live yet, you are in for a treat once the bit about the new Sonic game is brought up. Choomp, you have more material for your "Greg's Freakouts" thread. It may be his best yet. He was so exuberant, he knocked over the Shuhei Yoshida picture.

Choomp

Banned
For those who haven't watched Colin and Greg Live yet, you are in for a treat once the bit about the new Sonic game is brought up. Choomp, you have more material for your "Greg's Freakouts" thread. It may be his best yet. He was so exuberant, he knocked over the Shuhei Yoshida picture.

Oh man. Will watch, but I think the end of the Farming simulator will always be my favorite freak out.

Oh man. Will watch, but I think the end of the Farming simulator will always be my favorite freak out.

Hmm. You might change your mind.

Also (and you, specifically might be interested in this), they are restructuring the Kinda Funny Forum: http://kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1920

As a result nearly everything is being deleted. They are looking for the best threads to save. You might want to back up the stuff from your Freekout thread, because it's likely going bye-bye forever (until you repost it in the upgraded forums).

Choomp

Banned
Hmm. You might change your mind.

Also (and you, specifically might be interested in this), they are restructuring the Kinda Funny Forum: http://kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1920

As a result nearly everything is being deleted. They are looking for the best threads to save. You might want to back up the stuff from your Freekout thread, because it's likely going bye-bye forever (until you repost it in the upgraded forums).

Thanks for letting me know, I'm gonna save it somewhere. Good thing though, the forums could use a restructuring.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm gonna save it somewhere. Good thing though, the forums could use a restructuring.

They have lots of new posting options now. Even more so than here.

kJ7J8vB.png

Seeing Jurassic World in 2 hours! Not sure if anyone is interested but this is a big deal to me, JP has very special place in my heart

If anyone wants a mini review let me know otherwise I won't waste your time :p

Oh god – their response to the micro transaction nonsense to MGS was so apologetic it was unbelievable. Colin's inability to see the salience of the point in Konami just wanting to make more profit was embarrassing for someone so supposedly informed. The whole point was that any game containing micro transactions will be designed from the outset to push players towards paying that amount, it will change the balance of the game and they've utilised the Mother Base system so as to ensure it's more time-consuming.

Further, Greg's notion of others having the option to save time is fucking stupid and just enables this pursuit of charging for everything in $60 games – the whole point of cheats was so those without the time wouldn't have to spend extra to progress in their games.
They can be such apologists in these situations under the pretense of being 'reasonable' and have this weird trust that Konami won't design it in such a way and that the scepticism is unwarranted. If anything, in my opinion the worst should be anticipated until a company actually demonstrates this isn't a punitive scheme so as to extract more money from people for things that should be free.

Oh god – their response to the micro transaction nonsense to MGS was so apologetic it was unbelievable. Colin's inability to see the salience of the point in Konami just wanting to make more profit was embarrassing for someone so supposedly informed. The whole point was that any game containing micro transactions will be designed from the outset to push players towards paying that amount, it will change the balance of the game and they've utilised the Mother Base system so as to ensure it's more time-consuming.

Further, Greg's notion of others having the option to save time is fucking stupid and just enables this pursuit of charging for everything in $60 games – the whole point of cheats was so those without the time wouldn't have to spend extra to progress in their games.
They can be such apologists in these situations under the pretense of being 'reasonable' and have this weird trust that Konami won't design it in such a way and that the scepticism is unwarranted. If anything, in my opinion the worst should be anticipated until a company actually demonstrates this isn't a punitive scheme so as to extract more money from people for things that should be free.

I dont know - I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions until we see exactly what and how the microtransactions work.

While some games abuse them there's others that don't - GT6 had them and the game was not at all changed to make it harder to earn money - the grind for cars was the same as it wa in GT5, but now you had the option to pay and make it easier.

I'm giving Kojima the benefit of the doubt here, at least for now

Myggen

I dont know - I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions until we see exactly what and how the microtransactions work.

While some games abuse them there's others that don't - GT6 had them and the game was not at all changed to make it harder to earn money - the grind for cars was the same as it wa in GT5, but now you had the option to pay and make it easier.

I'm giving Kojima the benefit of the doubt here, at least for now

I would maybe give Kojima the benefit of the doubt, but I sure as hell won't give Konami the benefit of the doubt. And I'm sure this is more Konami's work than Kojima's.

I would maybe give Kojima the benefit of the doubt, but I sure as hell won't give Konami the benefit of the doubt. And I'm sure this is more Konami's work than Kojima's.

That's fair, I'm just not a fan of jumping to conclusions or forming assumptions without information. I'll wait to see what is being charged for before I get upset.

Who are you going to watch? Kinda Funny or Giant Bomb. Thinking I'll do Giant Bomb and watch Kinda Funny's archive. I just love Giant Bomb's in-conference commentary. Too good to miss.

Who are you going to watch? Kinda Funny or Giant Bomb. Thinking I'll do Giant Bomb and watch Kinda Funny's archive. I just love Giant Bomb's in-conference commentary. Too good to miss.

I'm going to do the opposite, I also love GB's commentary but I find it distracting when I'm just trying to enjoy the conference, especially when they start shitting on something I'm excited about. I want to revel in that OMG moment without any external influence on my reaction

Maybe I take this stuff too seriously but I GET EMOTIONAL OK?

Choomp

Banned
Sweet, that's the most viewers they've had I guess. This is a fun pre-show, I don't know if I'll go with GiantBomb or Kinda Funny during, might just go with the plain Bethesda stream.

Sweet, that's the most viewers they've had I guess. This is a fun pre-show, I don't know if I'll go with GiantBomb or Kinda Funny during, might just go with the plain Bethesda stream.
Im gonna go with the Bethesda stream because I don't trust Kevin to not cut it out mid conference :p

(love you Kevin)

First post in here. I thought Colin and Greg's reaction to Sony was a bit of a downer tbh. Still my favourite gaming personalities, but man it was kinda depressing.Tim was cool.I did miss the first 5 minutes though *shruggs

Edit: Coverage was really good overall though, aside from Twitch's hiccup

Myggen

First post in here. I thought Colin and Greg's reaction to Sony was a bit of a downer tbh. Still my favourite gaming personalities, but man it was kinda depressing.Tim was cool.I did miss the first 5 minutes though *shruggs

What was their reaction? I haven't been able to watch much since I've been following Giant Bomb's coverage.

They didn't really have one imo which bumbed me out. Tim was hyped but Greg and Colin kinda looked liked they'd had a long day and just wanted to go home. Colin didn't watch the Uncharted trailer, but Greg thought the last one looked better. Understand his reasons but completely disagree. Tbh overall I think It kinda just showed me how different my interests are to theirs (Tim aside), my hype levels were more in line with Gametrailers lol

What was their reaction? I haven't been able to watch much since I've been following Giant Bomb's coverage.

Well, for one, because there was not much Morpheus time, Colin thought they cut stuff out of the show due all the positive news for Oculus/HTC Vive. I think he said Sony didn't want to show something poor. However, a press conference like this, I doubt something could be swapped out so easily. I would think Colin would know this. Also, I think the reason it wasn't at the conference too long was because Sony knew Morpheus would bring the conference to a halt since there is no good way to show it off. Greg said if they can't show it off on a stage, they might as well scrap it. What!? That's a bit of an overreaction. I usually really like their opinions, but I think they are being unreasonable here. I would be disappointed if they don't bother to try the headset on the show floor.

paulogy

First, welcome! Second, I agree with everything you've said.

I've thought about this a bit, and I think it's very telling that Tim (someone I perceive as being a more recent PlayStation fan having "graduated" from Nintendo) was so pleased with Sony's conference while Greg and Colin (as PlayStation vets) were less impressed. At this point you've got to think the PS4 has already captured the hearts of the PlayStation faithful, so this E3 conference gave some huge nods to them upfront (TLG, FFVII, SMIII) but spent the rest of the conference getting everyone else interested. And at this point, to sustain sales and expand the user base and have the system hope to achieve 80M+ sold it has to appeal to a larger audience too. Cue the third-party exclusive content for many of this years' biggest games (Batman, AssCreed, Destiny, and now COD). And in many ways that's what an E3 show is for, the widest audience. Sony has already said they plan on having a Paris show (and presumably another PSX later this year too) where they can cater even more to the core.

In contrast Microsoft has struggled to even convert its 360 owners to X1 (many jumped to PS4) so their biggest announce of backward compatibility was a huge play for that audience.

Also, perhaps Colin's just being Colin and Greg just doesn't like being wrong - as all of his predictions ended up incorrect postmortem :)

I just saw Ryan Clements on one of the PlayStation videos. I didn't even recognize him because he's bald now! Is that new? I want him to grow his hair back :(

sora87

Clements has been thinning for a while now, not surprised he shaved it all off.
Also happy he shared and got so much happiness from Huber's Shenmue 3 video :D

Aw, well, he's still as chipper as ever, so that's a plus!

edit: lol, every time Nick and Chloe are on together, he comments on how good she looks. I think someone has a little crush xD

Anyone else kind of disappointed with their E3 coverage? None of it's being streamed on the Kinda Funny twitch channel, nor are the archived videos going up on the Kinda Funny Games YouTube page. So I go to gamespot.com/e3 and click the link to watch their interview from yesterday with Shu and it just drops me at the beginning of the days footage, after having to sit through a yeast infection commercial
weird..
and then 20 seconds of annoying music.... Ahhh!! I just can't believe their Twitch channel is sitting empty during the entire duration of E3, crazy... for as much time as they spend talking about building a community, to just up and move everything in the most important thing of the week is really weird.
Sorry Greg, I've been finding GameTrailers much easier, their Twitch channel's been live for hours at a time and everything is archived on their site. Hopefully C&GL is back on Monday.

Anyone else kind of disappointed with their E3 coverage? None of it's being streamed on the Kinda Funny twitch channel, nor are the archived videos going up on the Kinda Funny Games YouTube page. So I go to gamespot.com/e3 and click the link to watch their interview from yesterday with Shu and it just drops me at the beginning of the days footage, after having to sit through a yeast infection commercial
weird..
and then 20 seconds of annoying music.... Ahhh!! I just can't believe their Twitch channel is sitting empty during the entire duration of E3, crazy... for as much time as they spend talking about building a community, to just up and move everything in the most important thing of the week is really weird.
Sorry Greg, I've been finding GameTrailers much easier, their Twitch channel's been live for hours at a time and everything is archived on their site. Hopefully C&GL is back on Monday.

They did a really good job on Sunday and Monday but I agree it's been too hard to follow this week. Gametrailers has had the best by far

The KF Twitch will be live again on Friday. In the meantime, if you can find it, their E3 coverage has been really great. It's really refreshing compared to most E3 coverage because of how loose they can be, pulling pranks on each other, swearing on the stream, et cetera. It doesn't feel like a typical stuffy spiel.

Their interview with Shu was so cool, can't recommend it enough. But yh I wish they'd archived all of the stuff they're doing

Edit: And Nick has been excellent, need to see more of that guy

Yeah Nick is simply a wonderful person.

I heard Tim said something along the lines of "I'm more into gaming culture than actually gaming", is this true? Is there a link?

Yeah Nick is simply a wonderful person.

I heard Tim said something along the lines of "I'm more into gaming culture than actually gaming", is this true? Is there a link?

I think so. Remember, and I preface this by saying Tim is great, but this is someone who feels Apple making new products is more important to humanity than the space program and its vision of colonizing extra-terrestrial planets/moons. And before you ask, no, I don't remember which episode of the GameOverGreggy Show he said that in.

Edit- HAHAHA! Nick, being Nick. For those that don't know, Mary works for GameSpot.

y66pG3N.png

paulogy

weird..

While I'll say the move to GameSpot was a bit awkward, the actual show did they did was fun, totally their style, and really well done. I too was longing for more interaction with the audience (via chat, tweets etc.) but the live broadcast we saw was all about an hour delayed (for whatever reason), so true live interaction would not have been possible anyway.

Also worth remembering, they said they wouldn't have been able to go to E3 without partnering with GameSpot, so for this year at least they had to play by their rules. So what we got was infinitely better than nothing at all :)

Karu

Greg is a believer in No Man's Sky! One more person to add to the cult mwahahaha
Generally I agree and love what I've seen, but holy moly. That presentation was dreck, plain and simpel. Murray didn't want to be there was all I got from it. (I know what to do in the game, not one of "those" haha :D)

Generally I agree and love what I've seen, but holy moly. That presentation was dreck, plain and simpel. Murray didn't want to be there was all I got from it. (I know what to do in the game, not one of "those" haha :D)

Sean actually spoke on that. The showing was intentionally "boring"

As a person who knows the details of the game extensively already, I found it to be amazing. The graphical enhancements were apparent (draw distance still needs to be optimized a lot tho), the space to planet transitions were significantly improved. There were a decent amount of details that they always talk about that we haven't seen, and we got to see them here. Like a different look out how scanning can be useful, how the beacons and uploading discoveries work, the reactions of the sentinel robots, the terrain deformation, a little taste of the shooting. It was was pretty dang awesome for me, but I can see how a lot of those "what do you do" people could have found it boring.

Greg also found the demo redundant, but he actually got to play the game and that's what got him on board, so that's a good sign.

His impressions start at 7:34

http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/6358306

Top Bottom