• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

MattyG

Banned
The face of a broke man.

G77YA1s.jpg

I like it too, but as Colin said, it seems their numbers go down with "Colin" topics. I have a feeling for some people its political. Going by comments I've seen in other threads, some people simply refuse to listen to what he says due to his political leanings. A shame really, because he can't be contained in a box... or something or other. If they would take the time to listen to him, their preconceived notions may be shattered. Yes, he is a Republican, but, as he has said before, he is quite Liberal when it comes to social issues and recently he reaffirmed if he were in charge, he'd divert money from the military to NASA (to get the space program where it used to be) and (perhaps more importantly) to the Arts and Humanities to spark creativity and culture in the US.

People don't go there for Colin's political drivel, that's why the number drop. The posited C&G Live to be about the gaming news of the day, with some pop culture discussion. That's what the fans went in for, and that's what they expect to get. Honestly, it's not as if they don't have another outlet for Colin to go into the political discussion he wants, but it's also limiting because he is the only one that discusses that stuff within that group.

Choomp

Banned
Hey can we send them stuff somehow? Thinking about taking initiative on my Cards Against Humanity dream and getting the game sent to them.

Hey can we send them stuff somehow? Thinking about taking initiative on my Cards Against Humanity dream and getting the game sent to them.

Oh god, that is such a Nick game. I think if it ever was made into a video game, Jackbox Games should handle it. A: They pretty much mastered the concept of using phones as a controller (with their games such as Fibbage, The Jackbox Party Pack, and Quiplash) and I feel CAH would feel natural in that type of setup. And B: Jackbox Games is located in Chicago, as is Cards Against Humanity.

Wow, Colin doesn't know what a fresco is (from today's Let's Play)? I'm honestly super surprised by that.

A fresco is an old fashioned way of painting a mural on limestone. You'd figure a history buff like him would be well aware of that considering how many historic frescoes there are.

Volotaire

Jim Sterling
@JimSterling
It's a solo show. However, I have plans to do some stuff with the Kinda Funny gang. Crossovers incoming! twitter.com/magicalham/sta…

Paul Scondac @magicalham
@JimSterling Is @notaxation a guest on the panel?

It looks like Jim Sterling is planning to do a crossover with Kinda Funny.

Karu

Colin mentioned it on this weeks Gamecast. He wants to interview Mr. Sterling.

Fucking dream crossover finally coming true, Will be awesome!

MattyG

Banned
Colin on C&G:

*Greg has his finger in Colin's sleeve jiggling it around*

"I hope you're doing that tomorrow, but to my butthole."

d8f.png

Listening to Colin and Greg Live today, once again they're discussing the DCU and comic movies in general... I really like KF needs someone who can represent Marvel. Greg is very dismissive of Marvel things (Black Panther, Thor, SHIELD, etc). Just want to hear some balance, is all.

Listening to Colin and Greg Live today, once again they're discussing the DCU and comic movies in general... I really like KF needs someone who can represent Marvel. Greg is very dismissive of Marvel things (Black Panther, Thor, SHIELD, etc). Just want to hear some balance, is all.

They do the same thing re: Sony/Microsoft. I'm not against balance, but I'd rather they talk about stuff they find interesting than something they don't, and I think it would be hard for them to add another KF member at this point.

"Batman V Superman is what's keeping the barrel of the gun out of my mouth" GREG IS DOOMED!!!

They do the same thing re: Sony/Microsoft. I'm not against balance, but I'd rather they talk about stuff they find interesting than something they don't, and I think it would be hard for them to add another KF member at this point.

Except they talk about the Marvel movies ALL the time though.

Karu

Unfortunately any community that get big enough become toxic. I noticed the gb community a little agressive towards other gaming groups.
That's why I'm always a little bit weary of the way people create "a positive community". Some people overdo it to the point where they are basically worshipping their idols. Can feel pretty creepy at times. (Though, that's basically true for every fandom ever so, yeah...)

Choomp

Banned
Giant Bomb stuff in general is pretty toxic, I stay way clear of that crowd

Is it really? It's always seemed like a lot of fun to me. It's weird they wouldn't like Kinda Funny, with Jeff being on pretty good terms with the KF guys. They seem like very similar type of communities with a similar sort of niche.

Myggen

Is it really? It's always seemed like a lot of fun to me. It's weird they wouldn't like Kinda Funny, with Jeff being on pretty good terms with the KF guys. They seem like very similar type of communities with a similar sort of niche.

The Giant Bomb community is so large that there will always be toxic elements of it, like there probably is in the Kinda Funny community and in pretty much every fan community ever. There's a lot of assholes on the internet, and the sad fact is that some of those asshole will like the stuff you like.

Same goes with being "protective" of the stuff you like, especially if it's something personality-driven like Kinda Funny and GB. That happens all the time when people talk shit about GB on Twitter, and you saw something similar with the Kinda Funny fanbase attacking Brian Altano when he had that salty tweet about Kinda Funny a few weeks back.

Fact is that you can try to minimise how toxic your community becomes by banning people from the sites you can ban them from, like your own site and Youtube comments. But those people can still follow the site, talk shit on social media, on Reddit, on 4chan etc. With GB the community on the site is okay now and the moderation policy is strict, the subreddit is good and (I think) the GAF community is great and pretty huge. The site is still popular on 4chan, and that community is garbage like every other 4chan community. The site is also big on Something Awful, which is in the middle of GAF and 4chan imo.

Also, it's not just GBGAF who's dismissive of Colin. Probably mostly because of his politics he's infamously disliked on GAF as a whole, which is part of the reason why this thread was created as a "safe space", so to speak.

Anyways, I like both GB and KF.

sora87

I can only speak of what I've experienced over the last couple of weeks, and I was referring to the community, not the actual GB crew. I've not really dived in to any of their stuff.
I didn't like how every GT thread that got created some seemingly GB fan came in and tried to shit on them. Obviously it's not representative of the community as a whole but they're my initial impressions.

The Giant Bomb community is so large that there will always be toxic elements of it, like there probably is in the Kinda Funny community and in pretty much every fan community ever. There's a lot of assholes on the internet, and the sad fact is that some of those asshole will like the stuff you like.

Same goes with being "protective" of the stuff you like, especially if it's something personality-driven like Kinda Funny and GB. That happens all the time when people talk shit about GB on Twitter, and you saw something similar with the Kinda Funny fanbase attacking Brian Altano when he had that salty tweet about Kinda Funny a few weeks back.

Fact is that you can try to minimise how toxic your community becomes by banning people from the sites you can ban them from, like your own site and Youtube comments. But those people can still follow the site, talk shit on social media, on Reddit, on 4chan etc. With GB the community on the site is okay now and the moderation policy is strict, the subreddit is good and (I think) the GAF community is great and pretty huge. The site is still popular on 4chan, and that community is garbage like every other 4chan community. The site is also big on Something Awful, which is in the middle of GAF and 4chan imo.

Also, it's not just GBGAF who's dismissive of Colin. Probably mostly because of his politics he's infamously disliked on GAF as a whole, which is part of the reason why this thread was created as a "safe space", so to speak.

Anyways, I like both GB and KF.

I also think Colin being from New York plays a part. People from New York just have a particular style and attitude about them. I should know. Despite living in Maryland for 27 of my 29 years, I am a native New Yorker (Long Island, to boot). New Yorkers are loud and in your face and often boastful, but proud. Same can be said about Boston. I think nothing optimizes this as my experience at baseball games (Baltimore Orioles vs. NY Yankees). The Yankee fans are loud, arrogant, etc. I don't know why I remember this moment, but I do. Years ago, I was at a game and a drunk Oriole fan was heckling a Yankee fan (as drunk fans tend to do). The Yankee fan fired back by saying how nice and expensive his shoes are. Uhm. Okay. I'm glad the drunkard was removed from the stands, but seriously. You're going to flaunt the price of your shoes as a comeback?

Myggen

I can only speak of what I've experienced over the last couple of weeks, and I was referring to the community, not the actual GB crew. I've not really dived in to any of their stuff.
I didn't like how every GT thread that got created some seemingly GB fan came in and tried to shit on them. Obviously it's not representative of the community as a whole but they're my initial impressions.

That stuff went both ways, and was the dumbest fucking fanboy war I've seen in a long time.

That stuff went both ways, and was the dumbest fucking fanboy war I've seen in a long time.

I actually found the GT stuff (their reaction to E3, not the resulting arguments on forums) to be quite charming. It was pure joy on their parts, especially Michael Huber's Shenmue reaction. That was just pure emotion. I remember having similar emotions (just not as bombastic as his) when I logged on to Twitter on October 30th, 2012 and noticed a tweet that got my heart racing and made me have to do a double-check: LucasFilm had been purchased by Disney and a new Star Wars was going into production. My mind nearly (figuratively) exploded from excitement, especially after seeing how well Disney had handled their purchases of Marvel, Pixar, and The Muppets in the past few years prior.

Myggen

I actually found the GT stuff (their reaction to E3, not the resulting arguments on forums) to be quite charming. It was pure joy on their parts, especially Michael Huber's Shenmue reaction. That was just pure emotion. I remember having similar emotions (just not as bombastic as his) when I logged on to Twitter on October 30th, 2012 and noticed a tweet that got my heart racing and made me have to do a double-check: LucasFilm had been purchased by Disney and a new Star Wars was going into production. My mind nearly (figuratively) exploded from excitement, especially after seeing how well Disney had handled their purchases of Marvel, Pixar, and The Muppets in the past few years prior.

I had absolutely no problem with it.

Choomp

Banned
Some sort of "Conversation with Jim" video / show appears to be in the works with Jim Sterling. It's going to be AWESOME.

Wow, did Colin really spend half an hour talking about the Gawker shit today? I get he has a problem with what happened, but he was just saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Mezoly

Wow, did Colin really spend half an hour talking about the Gawker shit today? I get he has a problem with what happened, but he was just saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.
I'm actually interested to hear their thoughts on the topic. However, I've been noticing the repetition as well watch them do a gameovergreggy topic and they repeat the same thoughts over and over.

I'm actually interested to hear their thoughts on the topic. However, I've been noticing the repetition as well watch them do a gameovergreggy topic and they repeat the same thoughts over and over.

Yeah. I'm not saying he's wrong or he doesn't raise any good points, just that he goes around in circles for far too long.

MattyG

Banned
Greg is voicing Phantasm in a Mask of Phantasm fan-film set in the Nolan universe!

I'm definitely going for the Blu-ray tier.

I think this happens a lot on discussion based settings. When you're just spitballing and you have one point to make, you tend to counter others' points with your original point. It's not always ideal, but it also seems to just be the natural flow of a discussion like this sometimes.

Top Bottom