• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Mostly because the series requires previous knowledge of their personalities, so it's not too surprising. Hopefully when they do longer episodes they can do a more developed story which is less reliant on in-jokes (even though I enjoy them). The sniping in that thread about patreon is dumb as rocks though

And right now, only Nick is writing them. I'm sure he'd like to have a team of writers one day. Also, going by the stream (where Colin made a comment which Nick quickly wrote down as a future episode idea), it sounds like Colin, in a future episode, could be playing a game that he finds too tame and thus turns it into his version of The Hunger Games to spice it up.

Edit- I tweeted to Nick that they should debut something that was a throw-away comment from him and Tim. A while back when they joked about creating a show called Taco and Bell, about two detectives named Taco and Bell that always ended with them eating Taco Bell. I said to Nick, we should see them in their early days as school cops.

Mezoly

It's all in jest, just like whenever someone like Gary Whitta is on and Greg says "can you taste the patriotism" or something like that.

I know it is in jest when they talk about it causally like the last episode but when they have dedicated topics like the one "why people hate America" and when they have discussed the Syrian refugee crisis on C&GL they have repeated these same lines in a more serious tone. Anyway, it doesn't bother me much but it just show me they have a surprising lack of self awareness when it comes to international topics considering they have traveled outside the US more than a lot of people.

Demption

So how many podcasts they do? kinda confused what is their podcast show and which is video - only, I know that Gamescast and PS I Love You are podcasts.

DKHF

So how many podcasts they do? kinda confused what is their podcast show and which is video - only, I know that Gamescast and PS I Love You are podcasts.
All of their podcasts are available in both audio and video, and the three shows are the GameOverGreggy show, Gamescast and PS I Love You XOXO. Colin and Greg Live is a video only show and only available on Twitch for people not subscribed to their Patreon.

mdubs

Banned
If you're reading this Colin, if you're looking for a fascinating book, you should read Nintendo Magic, it came out in 2012 from a writer from Nikkei with interviews with Iwata and others. It explains a lot of Nintendo's mindset towards the hardware, and I get the feeling a lot of your frustration with the company comes from a philosophical difference between the mindset you want them to take versus what strategy the people in the company hold. You'll probably read it and shake your head, but as a follower of the industry I think you would enjoy it as as a piece detailing Nintendo at the peak of the Wii years and it's helpful in understanding why they do the things that they do.

http://www.vertical-inc.com/books/nintendo.html

Nice to see this thread hopping again. It was real slow going for a while*. Hopefully it's a sign Kinda Funny is growing.

*That might be partly my fault for posting a PS I Love You XOXO thread over in gaming. It actually has surpassed this thread in terms of number of posts, despite me posting that thread only in September.

Tabris

I'm going to stop watching the game cast. All of them (except for Greg) need to play more video games for it to be a panel I get anything out of. I respect they aren't forcing themselves to play other games but it stifles the conversations in a lot of ways and ends up being one person talking and Greg doing his usual (and good job) acknowledgements but not adding much while Colin (or in the opposite scenario Tim) are just on their phones. It's not conversational enough anymore. It made sense before PS I Love You but it's a waste of time now.

So for now I'll keep it to PS I Love You, GOG, and occasional Colin & Greg.

Still though, KF is the only podcasts I listen to so they are still doing a great job. The GOG and PS I Love You shows are fantastic.

ST2K

New shirt is great.

CYy95KrUoAAnE2f.jpg

mdubs

Banned
I think I learned more about the systems Americans have for having other people bring take out to them then I learned about Playstation in this week's PSILUXOXO

I'm ok with this

I really enjoyed Greg's interview with Victor Lucas yesterday on C&GL, the guy is a legend and I'm bummed EP Daily isn't on the air anymore. Too bad it was a little rushed, they really need to get him on the Gamescast sometime soon.

I really enjoyed Greg's interview with Victor Lucas yesterday on C&GL, the guy is a legend and I'm bummed EP Daily isn't on the air anymore. Too bad it was a little rushed, they really need to get him on the Gamescast sometime soon.

Yeah, it was great. Hope he comes back soon. I used to love Judgment Day (known as Reviews on the Run outside of America) with him and Tommy on G4. Also, during the interview, Greg said he couldn't remember if Geoff Keighley had ever been on any Kinda Funny content. He was. At least once. It was during their GDC stream. But, I also recall him during the Kinda Funny x GameSpot E3 live interviews.

ST2K

Finally got Greg to acknowledge me by asking one of my questions to Michel. Colin's answered questions of mine a dozen times, but this is the first time Greg has reached down from his Trending Gamer™ golden throne to acknowledge me in my rags and ashes.

Great interview though, as usual. Life is Strange was such a cool game.

mdubs

Banned
Still waiting for that jrpg cast with Colin and Jason Schreier. Pls make it happen in the future.

I randomly expect Nicole Tan to appear on the Gamescast at some point

Still waiting for that jrpg cast with Colin and Jason Schreier. Pls make it happen in the future.

I randomly expect Nicole Tan to appear on the Gamescast at some point

I want to see a podcast with Colin, Greg, Jason, and Patrick Klepek. Two Jet fans (Colin, Jason) and two Bear fans (Greg, Patrick).

Choomp

Banned
While we're at it let's just get a super dope Giant Bomb/Kinda Funny megastream. Hey! it's not that far from plausible I guess?

DKHF

There's two Gamescasts I want to see them do.

1. One with Geoff Keighley interviewing him about his career and hearing his opinions on the latest developments in the industry.

2. (This was suggested by Tim in the October Patreon exclusive Gamescast) An episode with Andre Segers (GameXplain host) discussing what Nintendo needs to do with NX/to win back some former Nintendo fans like Colin.

While we're at it let's just get a super dope Giant Bomb/Kinda Funny megastream. Hey! it's not that far from plausible I guess?

Well, let's see. They've had Jeff on the GameOverGreggy Show, Dan on Colin and Greg Live and the Kinda Funny Gamescast (and did that challenge with Xavier Woods, in which Xavier had to eat a sandwich slathered in mayo because he lost). Danny (from GameSpot, but a sort of an honorary Giant Bomb celebrity) has been on Colin and Greg Live and the Kinda Funny Gamescast multiple times (plus Kinda Funny does some GameSpot stuff). Greg, for the past two years has been on one of Giant Bomb's E3 after shows. Plus, Greg, along with Alex, Dan, Jeff (ahem..... Dr. Tracksuit), and others do the PAX wrestling thing....

So yeah. I don't see that as implausible.

I'm going to stop watching the game cast. All of them (except for Greg) need to play more video games for it to be a panel I get anything out of. I respect they aren't forcing themselves to play other games but it stifles the conversations in a lot of ways and ends up being one person talking and Greg doing his usual (and good job) acknowledgements but not adding much while Colin (or in the opposite scenario Tim) are just on their phones. It's not conversational enough anymore. It made sense before PS I Love You but it's a waste of time now.

So for now I'll keep it to PS I Love You, GOG, and occasional Colin & Greg.

Still though, KF is the only podcasts I listen to so they are still doing a great job. The GOG and PS I Love You shows are fantastic.

This perfectly sums up how I've been feeling lately about the games-side of the content. It feels really lackluster in terms of depth of the conversation and it feels like they just complain about having to play games (when that's how most people originally found their content). It's fine, especially since I'm getting into Giant Bomb which I think covers gaming more comprehensively; I still enjoy the Game Over Greggy show.

As for Gamescast, I still very much enjoy it, but it is clear that many don't. I think one way they can maybe improve it is by keeping it full length, but releasing it monthly instead of weekly. I think that would allow things to percolate.

MattyG

Banned
Colin M with that Maine shoutout. Presque Isle, that's a deep cut. Here in Windham/Standish we've got way better download/upload speeds than that, so I really wouldn't be surprised if the guy that wrote that was way up in Aroostook County or something.

ST2K

I wonder if anyone from Square Enix realizes Greg has never played a Final Fantasy game?
Still, good for KF.

Ahem.

Hey--

That was actually's Square's *idea* when working with us. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Final Fantasy, but I've never connected with it. Meanwhile, Tim loves it.

Their point with Final Fantasy XV is that it'll bring in both of us -- noobs and hardcore fans.

<3
Greg

sora87

Their long streams really are the best, wish they did them every month.
Shame they didn't get drunk again though, that shit was funny.

Today's C&G Live hitting a ceiling with the Kevin disrupting the show shenanigans. Colin seemed legit displeased.

As a fan? I'm honestly finding him increasingly disruptive. I like him being engaged as a goofy tech support guy during the show, but he's taking away from why I watch the show, which is to get insight into daily game news from Colin and Greg. I can't imagine I'm the only fan that feels it's time to reel Kevin back in a bit.

sora87

Kevin is becoming more and more disruptive, maybe they need to give him his own show to get it out his system. Kevin Builds Things? Kevin Falls Into Things?

mdubs

Banned
I feel like this is super meta that we are having a discussion about Kevin disrupting things in the same way they shout him down during GoG haha

Top Bottom