• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

sora87

I know I'm in the minority probably but I just prefer it when it's the 3 of them chatting.
It must be hard to conjure up relevant/interesting ideas for a weekly show that needs 4 topics though I guess.

I don't mind this guest (judging from topic 1 at least), but in a way, i'm sort of surprised that "lets get more guests!" seemed to be the main takeaway for Tim in regards to making the Gamescast better. Guests have always been sort of a divisive thing. I never thought Tim would convince the majority of the people who think the Gamescast is weak that it's getting better because he's bringing on more guests.

I say "sort of surprised" because that's the main feedback he was getting (from what I remember) in the "How can I make the Gamescast better?" thread on the KF forums. I mean, I don't really have any ideas on how to make it better myself. I like the Gamescast a lot and I think Tim is a great part of the discussion and don't really understand most of the complaints in regards to his input.

Probably just the topics that get a bit stale, but I like when they all have a discussion on a current game (like this week's ep with Starwars Battlefront)

Luke_Wal

I personally have found Gamescast so boring that I switched from the $5 tier to the $1 tier. I think it might be that Tim is just a more low energy host than Greg or even Colin, but the topics seem to be all serious and kind of boring. I can't remember the last time I really laughed at an episode, and Tim's gaming knowledge just doesn't seem to be as deep as the other two guys, which I think can sometimes limit the depth of conversation. Plus, between listening to GoG and PS I Love You every week and Colin and Greg Live every day, how much of these guys do I really need to be hearing? I like Tim a lot on GoG, but something about the way he hosts Gamescast makes it just kind of dull for me. He's no Greg or Colin but really, who is?

I personally have found Gamescast so boring that I switched from the $5 tier to the $1 tier. I think it might be that Tim is just a more low energy host than Greg or even Colin, but the topics seem to be all serious and kind of boring. I can't remember the last time I really laughed at an episode, and Tim's gaming knowledge just doesn't seem to be as deep as the other two guys, which I think can sometimes limit the depth of conversation. Plus, between listening to GoG and PS I Love You every week and Colin and Greg Live every day, how much of these guys do I really need to be hearing? I like Tim a lot on GoG, but something about the way he hosts Gamescast makes it just kind of dull for me. He's no Greg or Colin but really, who is?

I feel the same way. I love Tim on GoG and some of the stuff he's done outside of the podcasts. Tim is very funny, but I don't think he's great as the host of the Gamescast. Between his gaming knowledge/industry insight being significantly less than Colin and Greg, and the companies only Nintendo advocate being relegated to such a person, his gaming content contributions really bum me out.

Honestly, Kinda Funny desperately needs a more knowledgeable Nintendo fan. Not a fanboy, but a fan. Colin is the most outspoken on Nintendo topics, but his stance against them is pretty set right now. I feel like every Nintendo based conversation could be a lot more interesting if you had someone with Colin or Greg's knowledge but also was an active participant in the Nintendo landscape, not just an observer. Someone like Peer Schneider or Brian Altano. Tim's passion for Nintendo is clear, that much can't be mistaken, but he doesn't articulate himself or bring as much to the table as Colin/Greg do for Sony (or even Microsoft).

Luke_Wal

That Greg video is something truly special, I'll tell you what.

On a side note: Is anybody going to PSX that might be willing to buy/mail me one of the KF PSX exclusive shirts? I would PayPal you the money! If anybody would be down to do that, PLEASE send me a PM here.

LOL @ Tim "I thought it was alright"

I'm really glad he's this excited for it. I really liked the trailer but also sort of came off feeling weird about it. I don't know if it was the fact that they spoiled so much or that it maybe feels like too much stuff is happening. I know I'll enjoy the movie though, for sure. It will definitely be fun. My standards aren't super high.

I wish I could be this excited over something like Greg is excited over this and how people are excited over Star Wars. I guess I haven't had a "nostalgic dream" as substantial as this come true lol.

Edit: Well actually, I guess watching the Ratchet & Clank movie trailer got me all hyped like that too. (not to the same crazy extent tho) I wanted a movie for it to happen ever since the PS2 era, and I never thought there was a chance. So that's something. It's very fortunate for me that series is still going on. The whole reimaging stuff has me pretty stoked. I was sitting there making theories about things like he was. Feels kinda silly though when I know there's hardly anyone out there who would actually relate to my hype since the series doesn't have a huge following of superfans like those do, lol.

Choomp

Banned
It's so awesome to see Greg shine in the spotlight after all these years, he's deserved that kind of recognition for a while now. So happy for my dude :)

Man, there's a lot of hate out their for Greg winning. A lot of the hate I've seen so far seems to be coming from people who hate PlayStation (just going by the comments they've left). I turned off Twitch's chat when it started getting filled with lots of people calling for Greg to shut up during his speech.

Where at?

Oh yeah, if you're just talking about during the speech, people in the chat were hating on it at first, but by the end there was a lot more positivity.

Man, there's a lot of hate out their for Greg winning. A lot of the hate I've seen so far seems to be coming from people who hate PlayStation (just going by the comments they've left). I turned off Twitch's chat when it started getting filled with lots of people calling for Greg to shut up during his speech.

First rule of Twitch/Youtube/Any online service is never read the chat, no matter what the event is.

Where at?

Oh yeah, if you're just talking about during the speech, people in the chat were hating on it at first, but by the end there was a lot more positivity.

Also, in the awesome Kotaku article (which transcribed the dev part of his speech). Some comments in there are awful.

Mezoly

Well at least in the Neogaf Game awards thread a lot of people are praising his speech and want him to host next year awards. That's a big shift in people reaction to Greg from years past.

Well at least in the Neogaf Game awards thread a lot of people are praising his speech and want him to host next year awards. That's a big shift in people reaction to Greg from years past.

I went back to read some of the comments (the thread moved to fast for me to keep up) and to me the negative comments were still too many. I just don't understand how anyone could call his speech cringeworthy.

Mezoly

I went back to read some of the comments (the thread moved to fast for me to keep up) and to me the negative comments were still too many. I just don't understand how anyone could call his speech cringeworthy.

Well I'm talking toward the end of the thread where people were listing positives of the show and Greg poped up a bunch of times.
Also gamers call everything cringworthy lol.

Why are we focusing on the negativity after such a great evening for Kinda Funny??
Spoiler alert: Greg could cure cancer, and some people would still be talking crap about him online, it's the internet.

Apathy

I wanted to say congrats to Greg, he really deserves it. The years of him in the industry and being a voice for so many people, the genuine enthusiasm he puts towards games as well as the positivity he puts out there, unlike other people in the industry (I don't mean the other nominees specifically I mean overall, although Totalbiscuit can be very rude, specially to people that don't mind console games).

Greg, if you ever get around to reading this, thank you for the time and effort you and the guys at kinda funny put in day in and day out. You really do make me and other people in the community feel not just like viewers but as a best friend.

Also, kinda upset you didn't go for Colin's $3000, but your speech was great, giving credit to those people that very rarely get the recognition they deserve for the games that we hold near and dear to us.

I saw a lot of people posting after Greg won saying "who is Greg Miller?" and today I started laughing because those people will go out and search for Greg, find the kinda funny youtube page and check out the Batman v Superman reaction video and instantly get a real look at who Greg Miller is. Colin is so right, a documentary about Greg would make him seem like a crazy person like all those documentaries they do of mass murders in their hometowns, love it.

I saw a lot of people posting after Greg won saying "who is Greg Miller?" and today I started laughing because those people will go out and search for Greg, find the kinda funny youtube page and check out the Batman v Superman reaction video and instantly get a real look at who Greg Miller is. Colin is so right, a documentary about Greg would make him seem like a crazy person like all those documentaries they do of mass murders in their hometowns, love it.

That's exactly what I was thinking lol

I know it won't happen, but what if they saved the PSN name change for the PS I Love You Panel? That would be a sweet moment for Colin.

Mezoly

Greg killed it at the Uncharted panel. I would love to see the same people in a longer podcast after the game is out.

DFox

Have tried to find a replay of "PS I Love You XOXO Live at PlayStation Experience 2015". Hit me with a link or where I can find it.

Top Bottom