• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

LiK

Rooster Teeth is good although their LPs are unwatchable. I love their Achievement Hunter videos. They're really witty. I can't stand the rest of their content include their podcasts.

Maybe KF can make it better.

ST2K

As far as I'm aware, no. They've grown most of it from ground-up. Inside Gaming / Funhaus was an acquisition, but I don't think they were partnered in any major way before. Also worth noting that Colin is thankfully stubborn, and seems to enjoy being his own boss. He's the one who most wanted out from IGN in the first place.

Fair enough, but I also think he'd capitulate if the rest of the team was really pushing it. And maybe I'm just being paranoid, but Tim has been pushing the RT comparisons from Day 1 and Greg followed shortly after. If they decide to join up and are able to convince Nick, I don't think Colin will stop them. You already see stuff like Greg shooting down Colin when he says he never wants to get as big as RT.

And yes, I fully admit, this is paranoia and they have said they want to remain independent. But when Greg leaves the door open with stuff like this:

The future is always hard to predict. Are we heading that way? I honestly have no idea. We feel like this partnership is the best of both worlds -- we get their support, tools, and advice but we maintain our independence.

For us, it's always going to be "What's best for Kinda Funny?" This is what's best for us right now. <3

...I'm gonna be paranoid.

shield

I don't like Rooster Teeth and it irritates me that they seem so intent on emulating them.

But if RT wants to give them a platform to do their stuff and their stuff doesn't change, I'm ok with that.

EDIT: Wait, apparently RT is gonna start showing up frequently in KF stuff? That changes things...

Agreed : /

I hate RT but as long as they don't take over the existing KF stuff I'm fine with this. However if they start creeping into GOG Show, Gamescast etc I'll have to rethink my Patreon support. I really can not stand those guys

ST2K

I thought Greg and Tim did well at the Uncovered event, despite some of the hate they appear to be getting on GAF.

MattyG

Banned
I thought Greg and Tim did well at the Uncovered event, despite some of the hate they appear to be getting on GAF.
Agreed. That was one of the better conferences I've seen in a while actually. The guys on the Super Deformed Gamescast (including our own bananafactory
still waiting on my guest appearance invite :p
) were saying that people were shit talking it in the Twitch chat too, but compared to stuff like 10 years ago and even recent E3 stuff, it was really well done.

Agreed. That was one of the better conferences I've seen in a while actually. The guys on the Super Deformed Gamescast (including our own bananafactory
still waiting on my guest appearance invite :p
) were saying that people were shit talking it in the Twitch chat too, but compared to stuff like 10 years ago and even recent E3 stuff, it was really well done.

Yup. Saw some of it over in the Giant Bomb thread. It was not nasty stuff (on the whole). One guy felt that it's wrong they built a site and trust with their fans and subsequently have taken so many corporate gigs so soon after. Can't say I agree with him, as it's just as beneficial to Kinda Funny as it is for the corporations. Kinda Funny gets payed (leading to more content) and more visibility to those who don't know them. Also, they are very good at letting people know when things are sponsored (like The Order: 1886 and Layers of Fear videos).

I attended the event in person and saw Greg and Tim with my very own eyes O_O They're real people!

I got there around the 4th "uncovering", and I thought they did awesome! I was really surprised to go into the GAF thread when I got home and saw the extreme amount of hate they were getting. Maybe their dialogue came off as being more obnoxious or something in the stream? Even trying to take away my bias as a fan of theirs and keeping in mind that a lot of people here don't like them, I'm still surprised at the amount of hate they got for their performance. I thought they killed it!

Ledbetter

I attended the event in person and saw Greg and Tim with my very own eyes O_O They're real people!

I got there around the 4th "uncovering", and I thought they did awesome! I was really surprised to go into the GAF thread when I got home and saw the extreme amount of hate they were getting. Maybe their dialogue came off as being more obnoxious or something in the stream? Even trying to take away my bias as a fan of theirs and keeping in mind that a lot of people here don't like them, I'm still surprised at the amount of hate they got for their performance. I thought they killed it!

Hey, that's cool you got to see them!

I watched some of the stream, not because I was that interested in FF XV, but I wanted to see how Greg and Tim did. I get the reason they got a "not FF fan" person like Greg because I suppose that there a lot of people, like me, that aren't that much into the series and they actually got me thinking about at least playing the demo to see if I buy the game.

There were a lot of "They are so much cringe" comments in the thread like, I get that Greg and Tim's energy may not be to the like of everyone, but it's a SE conference, the majority of conferences are like that. They did fine.

Myggen

Yup. Saw some of it over in the Giant Bomb thread. It was not nasty stuff (on the whole). One guy felt that it's wrong they built a site and trust with their fans and subsequently have taken so many corporate gigs so soon after. Can't say I agree with him, as it's just as beneficial to Kinda Funny as it is for the corporations. Kinda Funny gets payed (leading to more content) and more visibility to those who don't know them. Also, they are very good at letting people know when things are sponsored (like The Order: 1886 and Layers of Fear videos).

I have no problem with them doing shit like this. But on the other hand it feels weird when they then turn around and review a game like FFXV after doing something like that (they don't do classic reviews anymore, but it's close enough). It might be that I'm too stuck in the journalism mindset and whatnot, but I can't help but feel a bit weird about stuff like this.

I have no problem with them doing shit like this. But on the other hand it feels weird when they then turn around and review a game like FFXV after doing something like that (they don't do classic reviews anymore, but it's close enough). It might be that I'm too stuck in the journalism mindset and whatnot, but I can't help but feel a bit weird about stuff like this.

I don't think we need to really worry about that. They did a paid promotional video for The Order and that never tinted their opinion of it.

Karu

I love both Greg and Tim, but hosts will never not be slightly cringey and embarrasing at such events. I did mute them at times, because....ugh :D That the nature of the beast. That the people in said threads are ridiclious whine babies, is probably true, though.

Roubjon

Is there a thread for KF gamescast talk?

Greg's response to this question was funny as hell...

https://youtu.be/6A8WlNbkTTY?t=2m27s

It's when questions like these are asked I really wish more minorities were present in the game journalist world. It frustrates me to no end that because Andrea said she is offended by GTA that everyone in the comments shits on her and calls her a SJW. People are such fucking asses. Guess I should know better than to read youtube comments.

ST2K

It's when questions like these are asked I really wish more minorities were present in the game journalist world. It frustrates me to no end that because Andrea said she is offended by GTA that everyone in the comments shits on her and calls her a SJW. People are such fucking asses. Guess I should know better than to read youtube comments.

It never even occurred to me that her statement would incur such ire. It's unfortunate that their video comments have devolved to typical YT garbage.

Ehh.. Her poor reasoning caused those kinds of reactions
(Also, ppl are rude on the internet, let's not get all sensitive about random words from random trolls)

This is her response:
iW9PONR.png

Edit: So nobody thought Greg's thing was funny?!?!?

ST2K

Their "reviews" are glorified Reacts videos, when they actually do them at all. I don't think they claim any strong objective consumer watchdog or high-minded critic stance. They're just a bunch of guys that are telling you what they think. And if the day comes where Greg seems to be pulling punches in a hypothetical FFXV review discussion, we all know the context necessary to make our judgements.

Edit: So nobody thought Greg's thing was funny?!?!?

I did.

ST2K

Remember when they said they were seriously cutting back on travel this year? What an amusing thing to say in hindsight.

On a related note, glad to see them have success, but if this RT deal means monthly or every other month trips to Austin for a week making content for them that's gonna get annoying.

ST2K

Nick was on fire this week on GOG and Colin had me rolling with his Dimetapp comment.

Next week is great with Critical Role too. GOG has been exceptional as of late.

On today's C&G live, Colin said to Greg "You really are fucking up if you aren't playing Ratchet & Clank"

Good game confirmed.

I need it now.

Mezoly

How do you guys feel about the Kinda Funny Games channel recently? I'm finding it a little lacking compared to the Kinda Funny channel. It seems there is only the gamecast and PSILY. I wished they would do more let's play, reviews or even short conversations/react videos. I mean they are doing all these reacts to a lot of movies but none to games. Colin finished Ratchet and Greg finished Quantum Break and they didn't do a quick discussion or review for those games. I feel like they are doing more general entertainment stuff but unfortunately for me I'm not interested in that stuff.

RoKKeR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUlB1dtQAO0

Holy fuck I am rolling... haven't even seen the movie. Christmas Duck as Kent is hilarious.

How do you guys feel about the Kinda Funny Games channel recently? I'm finding it a little lacking compared to the Kinda Funny channel. It seems there is only the gamecast and PSILY. I wished they would do more let's play, reviews or even short conversations/react videos. I mean they are doing all these reacts to a lot of movies but none to games. Colin finished Ratchet and Greg finished Quantum Break and they didn't do a quick discussion or review for those games. I feel like they are doing more general entertainment stuff but unfortunately for me I'm not interested in that stuff.
Yeah I feel you there... I really enjoy Gamescast and PSILY, but after I hear them talk about a game on one of those podcasts (like you said, R&C or QB) I'd love to see them do small lets plays of it. Obviously they can't do this for every game they mention, but for the ones that they go more in-depth on I'd definitely watch them.

Eh, I think it's fine for now. However, I do miss when hey did daily let's plays. Also, does anyone remember when Colin and Greg Live first started, their plan was to play some games at the start? The first few episodes had them playing Super Smash Brothers Wii U.

I feel the same. I understand they can only do so much, and at times one channel will see more content than the other, so I haven't really given it a second thought. I am on both patreons and like both channels, but largely prefer their gaming stuff.

My biggest criticism/suggestion is that the Twitch channel goes vastly underutilized. For another channel that offers it's own subscription price, it sucks that it's mostly just used for C&G Live (which is my favorite thing they do). I think they should start trying to have a stream running on there a couple times a week, using anyone and everyone in their roster (like Kevin or Alfredo). If there was more scheduled and consistent weekly activity on Twitch outside of the live show, I'd be subbing there as well.

That's just me though. I love Twitch.

notaxation

Neo Member

Extensive conversations revolving around both games in the upcoming episode of Gamescast (which I think is already up for Patreon supporters at $5+, and if it isn't, it will be shortly). An entire topic dedicated to Ratchet, and another to Quantum.

Extensive conversations revolving around both games in the upcoming episode of Gamescast (which I think is already up for Patreon supporters at $5+, and if it isn't, it will be shortly). An entire topic dedicated to Ratchet, and another to Quantum.

What are you doing posting in here!? Shouldn't you be watching the Islanders? ;p

Edit- Looks like it's intermission right now. Just deep breaths Colin. Good luck!

notaxation

Neo Member
Eh, I think it's fine for now. However, I do miss when hey did daily let's plays. Also, does anyone remember when Colin and Greg Live first started, their plan was to play some games at the start? The first few episodes had them playing Super Smash Brothers Wii U.

We simply don't have the time or manpower to do daily Let's Plays. Throwing PSILY in the mix effectively ruined the day of the week we'd otherwise dedicate to those videos, and we felt like we were forcing a lot of Let's Plays simply to fill an arbitrary quota.

Let's Plays still exist on our channels -- I wouldn't be too surprised to see us doing ones for Uncharted 4, for instance -- but we want to do them when they make sense. As we grow as a company, we'll free ourselves up to do more content, but we're stretched pretty thin right now.

If you're curious, we typically segment our weeks by doing clerical shit/answering e-mails/et cetera, as well as Colin & Greg Live, each morning, and then dedicating afternoons to PSILY (Monday), GOGS (Tuesday), and KFGC (Wednesday). We've slotted Thursdays, when possible, as "Patreon Thursdays," where we catch up on what needs to be done there (for instance, I'm currently watching the Islanders games while hand-writing a bunch of postcards to our supporters). Fridays are a hodgepodge in the afternoon, but it basically acts as the catch-all.

I feel the same. I understand they can only do so much, and at times one channel will see more content than the other, so I haven't really given it a second thought. I am on both patreons and like both channels, but largely prefer their gaming stuff.

My biggest criticism/suggestion is that the Twitch channel goes vastly underutilized. For another channel that offers it's own subscription price, it sucks that it's mostly just used for C&G Live (which is my favorite thing they do). I think they should start trying to have a stream running on there a couple times a week, using anyone and everyone in their roster (like Kevin or Alfredo). If there was more scheduled and consistent weekly activity on Twitch outside of the live show, I'd be subbing there as well.

That's just me though. I love Twitch.

I can basically answer this the same way. Our presence on Twitch has only been C&GL, with rare exception, and that's not going to change any time soon. Once we can scale, take some stress off of everyone (especially Greg), and free ourselves up, the amount of content will increase.

Until that time comes, we're kind of booked solid, though I will say C&GL does very, very well on Twitch (and YouTube, for our $15+ KFG supporters), and it's still a novel show on Twitch. Everyone's streaming games there. We're doing something different.

I'm sorry if that's not good enough for some folks, but I assure you, we're doing the best we can. There are only five of us. Please be patient!

We simply don't have the time or manpower to do daily Let's Plays. Throwing PSILY in the mix effectively ruined the day of the week we'd otherwise dedicate to those videos, and we felt like we were forcing a lot of Let's Plays simply to fill an arbitrary quota.

Let's Plays still exist on our channels -- I wouldn't be too surprised to see us doing ones for Uncharted 4, for instance -- but we want to do them when they make sense. As we grow as a company, we'll free ourselves up to do more content, but we're stretched pretty thin right now.

If you're curious, we typically segment our weeks by doing clerical shit/answering e-mails/et cetera, as well as Colin & Greg Live, each morning, and then dedicating afternoons to PSILY (Monday), GOGS (Tuesday), and KFGC (Wednesday). We've slotted Thursdays, when possible, as "Patreon Thursdays," where we catch up on what needs to be done there (for instance, I'm currently watching the Islanders games while hand-writing a bunch of postcards to our supporters). Fridays are a hodgepodge in the afternoon, but it basically acts as the catch-all.

I can basically answer this the same way. Our presence on Twitch has only been C&GL, with rare exception, and that's not going to change any time soon. Once we can scale, take some stress off of everyone (especially Greg), and free ourselves up, the amount of content will increase.

Until that time comes, we're kind of booked solid, though I will say C&GL does very, very well on Twitch (and YouTube, for our $15+ KFG supporters), and it's still a novel show on Twitch. Everyone's streaming games there. We're doing something different.

I'm sorry if that's not good enough for some folks, but I assure you, we're doing the best we can. There are only five of us. Please be patient!

Oh, I know. Just sorta miss the daily let's plays. But, I understand completely that its a fluid process and things will come and go. Also, as a suggestion for potential future content, I think it would be awesome if you guys did more non-video game games. Your Monopoly streams (even the ones played digitally) and the recent D&D GOG episode are awesome. Have you ever considered doing Cards Against Humanity? I'd be both equally excited and scared to see what Nick would accomplish with that game.

Mezoly

Thanks for the response. Congrats on the Islanders win.
I hope the partnership with RT will free you up to do more shows.

RoKKeR

Thanks for response Colin, always interesting to get insight into how things are working behind the scenes. Keep up the good work.

ST2K

I'm glad they're doing less Lets Plays. They weren't as high quality as their other stuff and definitely felt like filler.

It is a good enough excuse, and I am already aware of how spread thin you guys are and totally understanding of it. I didn't want to present that as...like, a demand or anything. Just voicing what I'd like to see at some point in the future.

I enjoy almost everything you guys put out, and for the amount I pay for your content I get more than enough so I'd never complain about that. But as a person that puts out creative works myself, I figured you'd appreciate all the (well meaning and respectful) criticism/suggestions you can get.

sora87

I've just realised I've not watched any of their stuff in nearly 2 months. Strange considering I watched everything they did last year.
I think i just really don't care for the guests they have and they seem to be ramping that up.

ST2K

Kinda bummed they didn't talk much about FFXV as a whole this (upcoming) week on the Gamescast. They touch on the demo and how disappointing it was, but don't really go in depth on their thoughts on the game now that it's had a bunch of information and trailers released. They haven't really gone over that information anywhere and I thought Gamescast would be the place to do it. Guess not.

Top Bottom